speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

D&D : How to get PC's together for the first time.

Sci-Fi and Fantasy games are some of the most popular on the market. Drop in to talk about your favorites from video games to role playing games.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Postby Qray » Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:52 pm

We're in the Army now... Though never having gamed a start like this, I've heard about ones in which all the PC's are drafted and participate in a big battle. Either being separated from their unit, or being the only survivors of the battle.
Qray

Blog: View Blog (49)

Postby aldan » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:14 pm

I've heard of that, too, but it has some pretty severe limitations involved with it, in that if you continue without the rest of the army, you're considered a deserter, if you go back to the army, you are stuck playing the way that the DM-controlled General (or whatever rank the NPC holds) wants you to, or if you choose to rebel against the army, then you can't be lawful characters at all and you will have made some pretty powerful enemies, right when you're pretty low level...
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and to appear stupid than
to open it and remove all doubt."
---Mark Twain
aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby Qray » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:30 pm

Yes, it would only work for certain types of PC's/parties.

Hey, I never said these are all good ways to start a party :wink:
Qray

Postby aldan » Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:03 am

Hey, did I SAY you said? And did you say I said you said? But wait, did I say you said I said you said?? *shrugs* I don't know. My afterburners have burned out and my brain is baked right now.
---Mark Twain
aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby Talon Sinnah » Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:02 am

No but alcohol and a wild chick is. :wink:
I am the poet of the body and I am the poet of the Soul. The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are with me. The first I graft and increase upon myself, the latter I translate into a new tongue.

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby Dr_Love » Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:43 am

I like the slavery idea, but in doing that we would more than likely without nothing to fight with or anything like that.
"They are a curious thing, these emotions. How they fly in the face of logic, how they overrule the most basic instincts. Because, in the measure of time, in the measure of humanity, we sense those self-indulgent instincts to be a weakness, we sense that the needs of the community must outweight the desires of the one. Only when we admit to our failures and recognize our weaknesses can we rise above them. Together." -Drizzt Do'Urden
Dr_Love
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby Talon Sinnah » Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:50 am

Of course that is what makes it fun. Each of us will have to use our skills to get out.
I am the poet of the body and I am the poet of the Soul. The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are with me. The first I graft and increase upon myself, the latter I translate into a new tongue.

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby Qray » Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:29 pm

I got dibs on the first big stick we see!
Qray

Postby Dr_Love » Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:53 pm

I got dibs on the first scroll of teleportion ....hehe.
"They are a curious thing, these emotions. How they fly in the face of logic, how they overrule the most basic instincts. Because, in the measure of time, in the measure of humanity, we sense those self-indulgent instincts to be a weakness, we sense that the needs of the community must outweight the desires of the one. Only when we admit to our failures and recognize our weaknesses can we rise above them. Together." -Drizzt Do'Urden
Dr_Love
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby Qray » Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:13 pm

I recall one Dark Suns campaign start in which all the PC's escaped from a slave caravan with nothing but the clothes on their backs. Soon afterwords two of the PC's got in an argument over who should get a big stick (equal to a "club") that was found lying in the dirt.
Qray

Postby aldan » Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:25 pm

they were both male, weren't they? enough said. myself, I'd look for stones to throw.
---Mark Twain
aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby Dr_Love » Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:23 am

I think a rouge would be best tot start with then, so they can attempt to steal a weapon or armor from someone somehow...makes sense..rouge.
Dr_Love
True Visionary
True Visionary

PreviousNext

Return to Games