speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Software for "3D" Sci-Fi Art?

Didn't find the Sci-Fi topic you wanted? Start a new one here!

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Software for "3D" Sci-Fi Art?

Postby data_strings » Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:46 am

I hope I'm not posting this in the wrong spot, but one of the main reasons I joined this forum was to find out about some of the development software used for the works on the "Sci-fi art gallery". I saw some stunning computer-generated images, and I was wondering where to start! If I can get some tips for beginning computer-generated artwork, I'd really appreciate some input. If you want some specifics, I'll post some links of some of the styles I want to use. Also, are there any "student discounts"?
Last edited by data_strings on Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
data_strings
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby data_strings » Mon Dec 26, 2005 5:07 pm

hm-- I suppose a.) This isn't a very hot topic, or b.) I'm posting in the wrong place... :?
data_strings
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby sirhc » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:46 am

I work daily with 3D software (Solidworks<---- not recommended individual license runs about $5,000 I think) and although its usually used for industrial applications it can be used to design some concept hardware. I think Alias has a free download of Maya (Learning Edition) plus some tutorials that can help you out its really worth a look if you have the system to handle it. There are tons of free aps out there its just best to do a search or look on CNETs download page. Lots of 3D and 2D renderings are usually finished off with Photoshop and there are a few books that show step by step ways of utilizing Photoshop to edit pictures. Good luck if I wasnt at work I could actually get you the names of the two books I own.
sirhc
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby omnituton » Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:30 pm

Hi Data-strings,

This is the first time i've seen your post - otherwise I would have added my two cents before now. In my opinion MAYA is the best package for the type of work you seem to want to do and sirhc is correct, you can pick up a fully functioning PLE version just about anywhere - but you will not be able to render finished product without having MAYA watermarks stamped all over your work. A licence for MAYA does not come cheap and you'll need a lot of processing power to get the most out of the vast array of functions and features at your disposal.

3D max is another slightly cheaper alternative if you want to buy a great package right out and there are various trial versions with different levels of functionality available..most however are still limited by the final rendering watermark limitation. Your best bet, unless you have a lot of money to spare is to pick up cheaper programs and utilities from Computer art magazines - there are lots of them out there and they will give you the best heads up on the products available to you. Try titles like poser, real draw, photoshop etc and you can get some good results by mixing the products of these together.
omnituton
New User
New User

Postby data_strings » Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:58 pm

Thank you very much, Omnituton and Sirhc. I really appreciate your input in a hazy subject area that requires whole magazines to sort through (thanks for the titles, by the way). I'm not sure when I'm going to begin my whole exploration with the different downloads and techniques, but when I do I intend to post any questions, hesitations, or walls I happen to stumble upon, so I hope to keep this thread up. As for watermarks, I was wondering if there was a way you can minimize their inpact using a program like PhotoShop... anyways, thanks again for the information.
data_strings
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby omnituton » Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:52 pm

No problem...best of luck with it, I've no doubt you're going to have a lot of fun. As for losing the watermarks...you can try, but I'm not sure what kind of results you'll get. by the way, if you come accross some good ( and cheap) titles, please spread the word!
omnituton
New User
New User

Postby Benjaru » Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:16 pm

You can go browsing CNET, but most of the stuff you'll find there is not going to cut it for you.
(ok, so you will find GIMP and Blender on CNET, but.. :wink: )

I'd suggest the open source solution, namely Blender and The GIMP.

http://benjaru.blogspot.com/

There's a link to my blog. Things have been busy, so I have not updated in awhile, but the thing that will interest you is the list of free and open source software.

"[url=http://www.gimp.org/[/url]Blender[/url] is the open source, cross platform suite of tools for 3D creation.
It is my primary 3D creation/interaction solution.

[url=http://www.gimp.org/[/url]GIMP[/url] is the GNU Image Manipulation Program. Multi-language and multi-OS.
This is my primary image/texture editor. I could go on indefinatly telling you about GIMP's features, it's strengths and it's weaknesses, but this isn't the manual after all. I'll let it go with this: I recommend it very highly."

There's a little snippet from my blog. I'm too lazy to write out a new improved description. :mrgreen:
You Dew, or you Dew not. There is no Coke.
Benjaru
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Sci-Fi and Fantasy General Discussions