speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Poll Question : Would you ascend?

Didn't find the Sci-Fi topic you wanted? Start a new one here!

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Would you want to Ascend, and if so, could you abid by the ascended's rule of nonintervention?

Yes. I could/would want to Ascend and follow the rules.
11%
Yes. I could/would want to Ascend, but would eventually break the rules and get kicked out.
78%
Yes. I could/would want to Ascend, but there's no way I could follow the rules.
11%
No. I wouldn't want to ascend.
No votes

Total votes : 9

Poll Question : Would you ascend?

Postby Qray » Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:48 pm

For those that haven't seen the television series Stargate SG-1 there is a major ongoing plot involving a group of aliens called the "Ancients."

In the series the Ancients were the precursors to human life on Earth and eventually ascended. Essentially evolving to a point where they shed their physical bodies and could exist as energy on a higher plane of existence.

Along with this, Ascension also embodies the individual with (according to the show) seemingly endless knowledge and power.

The one major drawback of Ascension is you can not interfere with mortal affairs. If you do, the other ascended beings will punish you. A common punishment being De-cension. Where they once more make you mortal and usually an amnesiac.

So, the poll question is this...

If you could ascend, live forever, have unlimited power and knowledge, but could do nothing to stop say a Hitler, or a Stalin, or a Pol Pot from killing millions and causing near endless suffering...would you? Could you? Should you?
Last edited by Qray on Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Qray

Blog: View Blog (49)

Postby who me » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:55 am

you bet and the first thing I would do is ever see Q from star trek?
pim: I'm a ascended where do i apply for a Q-continuum membership.
Q: with your sense of humor I'm not sure I can stand the competition. oh what the heck.
poof
pim:* with mariachi band in the back ground* oh yes let the good times roll.
who me
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby Qray » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:11 pm

I'd want to ascend too. The thing is that with the amount of knowledge you'd possess, you could know if any changes you make are going to be good. For example, if you kill Hitler in '35, does that mean that the Earth is engulfed in a nuclear war some time in it's future? Yeah Hitler was really bad, but does saving a few million leadto the end of the entire planet in the future?

I'd get kicked out, but I'd get to do some good before I do.

However, since I feel this way, I'd never get to ascend in the first place.
Qray

Blog: View Blog (49)

Postby Dragonfleet » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:00 pm

I think the Ancients really underestimated human nature when they decided to give humans the ability to ascend. Of course they're going to intervene!
Dragonfleet
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby who me » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:21 am

a large crowd of people shuffle there feet and look in all directions a few people whistle a tune
"who US?, not us. we would never do that."
who me
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby NeoScribe » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:20 pm

I'd ascend, but get kicked out in two seconds flat. Probably because I helped a kitten or something. The way I see it, Knowledge, Power, A lot of free time, why not help people?
The flower shop gig wasn't enough to pay for my videogames.
NeoScribe
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby Ariel » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:46 am

So true!
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Chipchinka » Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:21 pm

With ultimate power comes ultimate responsibility. Having said that, I'd probably remain ascended for a short time and probably then leave of my own volition rather than get kicked out, unless of course I fell in love with another ascended being and decided to stay for that reason only. But even then, if I knew everything and had ultimate power, being post-human would also inspire me to USE those powers for the greater good of the universe at large. I wouldn't go so far as to destroy Hitler, thus saving 6 million doomed people, but I probably would whisper inspiration into the ears of Human leaders in the hopes that such inspiration would lead various human societies to reach their fullest potential. No it wouldn't be overt, and consequences would be considered, but I'd do it, which of course means that I'd probably get kicked out after six subjective months.
Do your quiet answers creep among the stars?
Chipchinka
New User
New User

Re: Poll Question : Would you ascend?

Postby DocFlamingo » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:28 pm

HELL YES! Screw this goofy planet and its nit-wit inhabitance. No use for them now and I’m one of them. Interfere? Well, there’s likely a way to do so and not get caught. (Hee hee hee!)
DocFlamingo
Just Registered
Just Registered

Return to Sci-Fi and Fantasy General Discussions