Why do some people not like SF?

Didn't find the Sci-Fi topic you wanted? Start a new one here!

Moderator: Bmat

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Why do some people not like SF?

Post by Bmat »

To each his own, of course. Just as I wouldn't be interested in a book about, say... airplane engine maintenance... people are entitled to not be interested in SF. (Actually, I probably would be interested in a book on airplane engine maintenance, a short and easy-to-read one anyway. Who knows when you'll be on a plane and no one else can fix the engine and this information would come in handy. Anyway, I digress.)

Years ago a friend expressed mild interest in why people liked SF. I picked out an SF book that I thought she'd be sure to enjoy- it was light SF and had animals in it, but she hated it. :(

Is there some difference in background or what that makes some enjoy SF and some not? I don't care much for fantasy, myself, but will read some.

Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Dark Knight »

Airplane engine maintenance? no way would I be interested in that.

Oh right the topic is SF;
:wink:

I would say as a kid I watch repeats of Doctor who, so maybe that had something to do with it. My dad and I are into SF and fantasy. My brother is into SF but not in as bigger way as me or my Father. Brother does watch Fantasy movies, but he is not that into it.

I am thou the biggest fan of Fantasy and SF in my family.

My mum is not into ether of them, and she just doesn't get it.

My brother and Father are into cars, my brother more so, but I am not interested.

I am not sure what it is that makes some enjoy SF and some not.

Actually I enjoy fantasy books more than I do SF books.

The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by The Master »

I dislike mysteries and westerns, both very popular genres. I'm not sure I can explain why I don't like them but I do like Fantasy and Science Fiction.

The best I can do is say that I enjoy when there is something fantastical about the story...something beyond the ordinary world. Maybe those that don't like SFF are exactly the opposite and prefer stories that are more realistic.

Qray

Post by Qray »

Airplane engine maintenance? I'd be all over that.

Q, you have an aviation degree.

Well, there is that.

Why do some people not like SF? Well, the most elegant and descriptive way I could put it would be...they're idiots.

Though perhaps I'm being too elegant.
I'm going to die the way I've lived...poor, screaming, and naked.

Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Dark Knight »

The Master wrote:I dislike mysteries and westerns, both very popular genres. I'm not sure I can explain why I don't like them but I do like Fantasy and Science Fiction.

The best I can do is say that I enjoy when there is something fantastical about the story...something beyond the ordinary world. Maybe those that don't like SFF are exactly the opposite and prefer stories that are more realistic.

Actually my Dad that likes both Fantasy and Science Fiction, likes westerns, and I dislike westerns, they all seem the same to me.

I have enjoyed some series over the years where they try to solve the crime, and find the murder, these being the ones from the UK.

I would say that over the years I have enjoy programs like MacGyver, the A-Team, and the like that are more realistic, Action Adventures shows.

Also Knight Rider, Alias

And Action crime fighting shows like Miami Vice,

CHiPs cops on motorbikes

I enjoy more realistic shows... not so much the new ones thou

aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by aldan »

For me, I first was exposed to Science Fiction in elementary school (fifth grade), when a very, very wise school librarian saw me in there looking vacantly at the bookshelves, recognized that I was new at the school, and guided me to Orphans of the Sky by R.A. Heinlein. I think that part of the reason I was interested in the novel was the fact that I was an orphan, and I didn't fit in anywhere, so it really spoke to me. THANK YOU SCHOOL LIBRARIAN!!!

I was first exposed to Fantasy by my adoptive father, who gave me his old copies of the LOTR trilogy paperback novels.

Talk about being exposed to quality on both accounts!!
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and to appear stupid than
to open it and remove all doubt."
---Mark Twain

dragon13writer
New User
New User

Re: Why do some people not like SF?

Post by dragon13writer »

I blame my dad for my interest in Scifi/fantasy. He was the one who watched Star Trek and Star Wars. But I must say Willow brought me out of totally scifi and into fantasy. Then I got into Mercedes Lackey, Anne McCaffery, and so many more. I don't read much scifi anymore but I don't miss any movies either (I catch all that interest me).

I was told by my boss that it's okay to write fantasy but it doesn't make a diffence in the world. I think that if you don't have an escape once in a while (not including vacations) then you loose your motivation in whatever it is you do. If I thought about work all the time then I'd go crazy.

Edited- Oh, I almost forgot. I loved Terry Brooks Shannara and Magic Kingdom books. No I have a much different taste. I've gone from fantasy to urban fantasy and paranormal romance. I never thought I'd read romance but adding non-human characters and I got hooked.
So many books, so little time.

Qray

Post by Qray »

dragon13writer wrote:I was told by my boss that it's okay to write fantasy but it doesn't make a diffence in the world.

I find that to be a very odd comment. What does he expect writing to do and what kind of difference does he expect it to make?

dragon13writer
New User
New User

Post by dragon13writer »

She and I were having a discussion about the state of horse care when it comes to race horses, how they shouldn't be raced at 3 yrs of age because they haven't reached maturity, how they shouldn't be kept in stalls when not being exercised, etc, etc. That I should write something for her (as a ghost writer- expressing her opinons). *shrug* I wish she would be more passionate about being the administrator that our vet clinic needs. She's on top of the finances like a hawk with a trout but the human relations aspect is lacking. Now I'm ranting. I think I'll quit now.

Qray

Post by Qray »

Well, if you wrote the story and you changed the mind of just one person who read it, wouldn't that have changed the World?

dragon13writer
New User
New User

Post by dragon13writer »

I agree.

Rojoshom
Just Registered
Just Registered

Re:

Post by Rojoshom »

The Master wrote:I dislike mysteries and westerns, both very popular genres. I'm not sure I can explain why I don't like them but I do like Fantasy and Science Fiction.

I think there's something to the part about some people like more realism. Some people also may not like the techie aspect of some sci fi. Of course it could be generational as well, growing up w/ star wars and all the other spin offs of the 70's, trekkies in the late 60's. By the same token, I don't like westerns either, but my dad's generation, 40's and 50's, were much more into it. Mysteries are ok, though...