Any Catholic Science Fiction readers/writers here?

Didn't find the Sci-Fi topic you wanted? Start a new one here!

Moderator: Bmat

SanctaFutura
Just Registered
Just Registered

Re: Any Catholic Science Fiction readers/writers here?

Post by SanctaFutura »

The story of Eden is not about "going against the tenets of a controlling God" but about wanting to be godlike by having knowledge of both good and evil. It's not knowledge per se that is dangerous, but knowledge of evil. Adam and Eve already have knowledge of good -- after all, they have free run of the earthly garden, all of which God has pronounced "very good." But they are foolish enough to believe that adding knowledge of evil would be an improvement over their primeval innocence, and we are all living with the consequences of that. ;) That's something you might think about, Supercollider, as you are working on your novel.

SanctaFutura
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by SanctaFutura »

Nomad wrote:What everyoned theological thoughts on Battlestar Galacticas' storyline. (The latest series)
What is your take on it, Nomad? I enjoyed the series a lot (watched it straight through twice), but I'm not sure how I feel about the way it ended. Early in the series, it seemed that Earth was going to be the "lost tribe" that the Twelve Planet colonists had lost touch with. Having them wind up on Earth (our earth) when humans were still quite primitive was certainly an unexpected twist, but it seemed to me just another version of the tired old "ancient astronauts | Earth was seeded by aliens" meme.

Supercollider
New User
New User

Post by Supercollider »

Hi - I'm back - Asp and Sancta both make points that have definitely crossed my mind as I plan the "theo-history" (?) of my alien race.In one way or another most all science fiction addresses human ethical dilemmas (good vs. evil, free will/determinism, etc.) regardless of what religious or spiritual paradigm it's coming from (including anti-religion/spirituality) - it goes with the territory. My novel in that way is probably going to be pretty transparent though I hope to avoid preachiness (fine line to walk, that!).

So I have wrestled with the question of how "innocent" to make my aliens during their "Edenic" phase - and how this does tie in with their being technologically savvy. For instance, to use a common example, would the rocket have been used for more than fireworks displays had it not been employed as a weapon of war? And competition in general.

One of my "workarounds," since science fiction is, after all, speculative vision :lol: is that God might work His plan a bit differently on different worlds. The Genesis account's purpose is to convey spiritual truths more than science or history in the sense we know those fields today. That gives me some wiggle room - for my aliens to have evolved, and yet for their souls to have been infused at temporal point 1 in the development of their intelligence.

I also conceptualize them to perhaps have been blessed (in a general manner of speaking) with the ability to spur themselves in their development through friendly competition and/or cooperation to achieve a shared goal. So that they do obey God for a long period of time. I'm thinking they start studying astronomy and somehow avoid the Galileo controversy, and go on to discover that stars don't last forever, so they develop interstellar travel as both a hedge against that, and as they are also very curious to make new discoveries, they decide to see who else might be out there. Then they hit temporal point 2 - their temptation and trial point.

Wow, I'm copying this and pasting it in my working notes! :smt024

SanctaFutura
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by SanctaFutura »

Sounds really interesting. What is going to present a temptation, after living so long without fault? Seems to me that's going to take some explaining!

BTW, if you saw the recent film Prometheus, you should really read this review by Steven Greydanus -- http://www.ncregister.com/daily-news/sd ... prometheus

I haven't seen the film, but since I read this review I really want to. Anyhow, it might give you something to think about as you work on your story.

SanctaFutura
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by SanctaFutura »

Wait, I think I linked to the wrong review. If I can find the one I intended, I'll post a link.

SanctaFutura
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by SanctaFutura »

Okay, supercollider, here's the review of Promotheus that I had in mind: http://www.catholicworldreport.com/Item ... cross.aspx

Supercollider
New User
New User

Post by Supercollider »

Thanks Sancta Futura, for the link; it was very interesting. :) I must confess I haven't seen any of the "Alien" movies because they seemed too much in the horror genre and I thought they'd be too scary :shock: but I may need to go back and watch them now and then Prometheus.

This dovetails in a strange way with a book I am currently reading, The Intelligent Universe: AI, ET, and the Emerging Mind of the Cosmos, by James Gardner. I have yet to get to the chapter about religion and contact with extraterrestrial intelligence - that should be quite interesting!

Meanwhile, I'm already getting my mind blown a bit by the predictions Gardner makes that within decades Artificial Intelligence will supplant human intelligence. To me, that would be a dangerous and potentially quite dystopian scenario. And his writing seems - thus far in the book - to speak of intelligence and computational power that can lead to a singularity, a radical change in human destiny. (Or, in one chilling scenario, with the aid of nanotechnology, to a Zombie Apocalypse :smt088 )

Yet he seems to be, somewhat gnostically IMO, blind to the power that religion could play to answer the question "Just because we can, does that mean we should?" For example, how would the Pope (current or future) and other religious leaders weigh in on such issues? There is, after all, a Pontifical Academy for the Sciences that would surely get wind of such things? :smt017

Though I can also see that in the secular world the religious leaders aren't given a lot of say-so over things anymore . . . :( Scientists seem to view us as quaint, irrelevant, or even dangerous.

Supercollider
New User
New User

Post by Supercollider »

Hope you had a merry Christmas, Asp & Sancta! :santa: :snowman3: :treegifts: I see that the world did not end on the 21st! :mrgreen: So I can continue with planning my novel. Also note to self to watch the movies you recommended. Happy New Year!

Asp Zelazny
True Visionary
True Visionary

Post by Asp Zelazny »

Thanks, SuperC! Amazing how we keep narrowly avoiding apocalypses (apocalypti? -- also pretty bizarre that we need a plural for that word) over and over again. It's almost like there is an industry out there churning them out.
I'm looking forward to reading that novel, so keep working.

Supercollider
New User
New User

Post by Supercollider »

That's my New Year's resolution! :wink: One of them, anyway! Since it'll still be awhile before I get the novel done, and seeing as apocalpti :mrgreen: are always a possibility, you could pass the time productively preparing for a Zombie Apocalypse!
http://www.cdc.gov/phpr/documents/11_22 ... _Final.pdf

Asp Zelazny
True Visionary
True Visionary

Post by Asp Zelazny »

Wow. Our tax dollars at work. Maybe (shudder) the Republicans were right.

Supercollider
New User
New User

Post by Supercollider »

Maybe a person should send for a print copy - it might either be a collector's item someday, or . . . (wait for it) come in handy when the zombies dismantle the internet... :D