Bush Banger!!

Want to discuss something else? Anything goes here!

Moderator: Bmat

Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Neurolanis »

Where's Fan??

:sofa:

Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Post by Magus »

As for the argument rebutting claims that Bush ruined the economy and pinning the blame on Clinton I have something to say:

The Clinton Administration had the largest surplus of funds compared to any other presidential administration. And we go from there to the largest deficit in history. I'm not saying that Bush is wholly at fault here. Nobody could have predicted 9/11. There are many things I believe he handled well. But, on the whole, I think he's been handling his presidency poorly.

No, Merle, you're right. My sister and mother weren't raped by Saddam. And, unless you care to share otherwise, it's safe to assume that neither were yours. So, either way, the point is a moot one.

Oh, yes, and how foolish I am, no cares, no responsibilities. I don't moderate three websites; I don't have marching band five days a week or jazz band or pep band. I don't have any college level AP classes or any schoolwork for that matter. How foolish could I be?

President Bush: supporter of outsourcing jobs to India and other countries. Yes, now this will definitely help boost are economy by getting rid of the jobs in the country.

How could I be so blind to how he hopes to help the working poor. They don't have to pay taxes? Then why should we bother ensuring them jobs?

celticmoe666
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by celticmoe666 »

he makes me loook stoopid cuz i am texan also....

(ahahahaha)

Real me:

He makes me look like an idiot also because i am Texan.
Kilts, thats whats for dinner tonight! *sheepish grin*

AHHA I said Sheep and Kilt in the same paragraph!! LOL... tee hee

celticmoe666
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by celticmoe666 »

they bleep Dick? but thats his name..
Kilts, thats whats for dinner tonight! *sheepish grin*

AHHA I said Sheep and Kilt in the same paragraph!! LOL... tee hee

Anthentar
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Anthentar »

Oh, the Aero... such a great success, and yet a collossal failure. Such a disappointment. I can't say I'm completely surprised that the Soviets got into the Aero project. I mean, they got into the Manhatten Project easily enough. Personally I never blamed any Americans for the cancelling of the Aero program... I blamed the Prime Minister for being an idiot. This sheds some new light on it, but perhaps the program needn't have been completely shut down. Who knows... I wasn't there.

Perhaps we can put the US-Canada issue to rest once and for all. The issue is pretty simple: The United States of America is huge and Canada is not (population wise, obviously). America had the advantage of a far different colonial plan than Canada. The French didn't want to form massive colonies in Canada, but the British had a different idea and created larger population centres in their thirteen colonies. When war came... the french colonies didn't stand a chance, but that turned into a blessing in disguise as the advantages that had been present for the thirteen colonies were present for us... just much further behind. America eventually turned into a wrold power, and then a superpower because of it's much earlier independence and the wars it fought (especially the civil war) that gave it an industrial might that Canada would not gain until the Great War.

Now, with that out of the way, let's look at the effects that America's success has had on Canada: whether you try to or not, America's cultural influence will and has jumped the border. We don't want to be America. We want to forge our own destiny seperate from all other nations. We want to possess our own identity that is strictly Canadian... but that's not easy when you're a much smaller country living next to a giant. You're often associated with the giant whether you want to be or not. Sometimes we are mistaken for Americans, and we don't want that... not because we don't like you and who you are, but because we want to be recognized as different.

One day I imagine there will be two very distinct cultures standing side by side in the ruling and protection of this great continent... but while we try to define who we are as a people and a country, there are going to be problems. I think that as strong allies, we should be able to pull through these complicated times and come out the better on the other end.

I hope this helps... maybe it doesn't, but anyway. Back on topic:
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become one. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into you." - Beyond Good and Evil, aphorism 146

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Bmat »

celticmoe666 wrote:they bleep *beep*? but thats his name..
There is no "they" bleeping anything. The word screener doesn't recognize usage, so it screens words that may have unpleasant meaning even though they are used innocently. Perhaps "Mr. Cheney" could be used to avoid the bleep.

Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Post by Magus »

Of course, wait till you see everyone scream when it's their own pet program getting "Cut."
Their own pet project? Hmmmm.... I see. I didn't know that you considered the quality of education some "crazy liberal's" "pet project".

Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Neurolanis »

I think Canada is distinctive and we know who we are as a people. We are -- at least in relation to global politics -- kind, compassionate, and liking peace. We have a rich and diverse culture. The problem is that we have a government that often kisses US political ass, a secret service that worships the US, and companies that are crumbling under huge American companies. I think we could do with a lot less Hollywood, and the reason we can't is because the government is suppressing the Canadian film industry. The only directors that get support are those who like making drab and dull, dark films that win awards but that no one's gonna want to watch.

So you're right about our problem being that we rest next to a super power, Anthentar. That is a major dilemma we must fight to overcome (And that's why Free Trade is a raw deal for us.) But I don't think we suffer from an identity crisis.

Anthentar
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Anthentar »

Honestly Neuro, I mean no offence whatsoever, but that is a giant load of *beep*. The government pumps money into cultural funds, television stations, movie projects and many other things that claim to need subsidization to survive against 'more powerful' American competitors. Hell, they still be pumping subsidation dollars into corporations if we hadn't signed the Free Trade agreement... which is a thorn in both our sides, as it was always supposed to be. Yes, it's true that some of our industries have problems competing with massive American corporations, but can you imagine how American producers of raw materials feel? We have the capacity to dump vast amounts of high quality materials for rock bottom prices and not lose a cent... a massive drain on American companies.

We are definitly in the midst of a massive identity crisis. A phase of our cultural and national developpment. If you take a close look at many of the problems plaguing Canada-US relations right now, you realize that most of them are not America's fault... no matter how much we'd like to think so. On the same note though, I do firmly believe that the US takes Canada for granted.

Hmm, if this is going to turn into an actual discussion, I may have to move it all. We'll see
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become one. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into you." - Beyond Good and Evil, aphorism 146

Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Neurolanis »

Many people I've known and heard about in Canada's entertainment industry -- such as it is -- fell as though our government is holding them back. We have so many really talented and hugely successful actors, comedians, etc. etc. Then where are all our comedies, witty satires, etc? We have some of the most advanced film equipment in the world. Where are all our blockbuster films?? Is it that all our real talents go to the US and we get stuck with the sucky one? Lol. Could be. But I think it's being held back by the government.

And I disagree with you on Canada-US relations being more our fault. I know both sides benefit from our dealings, but sometimes the US, being the world super power that it is, tries to jip us (so do other countries of course, i.e. British submarines that weren't worth spit.)

And I still see a rich and unique country..

Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Post by Magus »

So, Neurolanis, could you please explain why exactly Canada's problems are America's fault? All I've seen you say is that the actors/directors/film-makers leave Canada for better opportunities in America when you yourself have said that it's the government's fault for the state of their film industry. You complain about the goverment that usually goes along with what we think and a secret service modelling itself after us. You complain about how our industries are more successful then yours. I don't mean to sound how I doubtlessly do sound. All I'm saying is that you say one thing but give evidence that only seems to support the other side. I really must agree with Anthentar on this issue.

I think now's the time to quote lyrics from one of The Arrogant Worms' (a Canadian Rock band who are amusing satirists) songs, "Rocks and Trees":
My country's bigger than most
And if asked i boast
'cause i'm really proud
So i shout it loud
Though our numbers are few
We will welcome you

Although we don't have history
Gold medal winning teams
Heroes or prisoners
World famous volcanoes
Still what we've got's glorious

'cause we've got
Rocks and trees
And trees and rocks
And rocks and trees
And trees and rocks
And rocks and trees
And trees and rocks
And rocks and trees
And trees and rocks
And water

All right, everyone!

We've got
Rocks and trees
And trees and rocks
And rocks and trees
And trees and rocks
And rocks and trees
And trees and rocks
And rocks and trees
And trees and rocks
And water

In canada, canada, canada, canada, canada, canada, canada, canada
Canada, canada, canada, canada, canada, canada, canada, canada

Anthentar
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Anthentar »

I love that song. It's so us.

Neuro, these problems are mostly our fault, but that doesn't mean it gives America full right to start kicking back... I mean, no offence to any Americans, but when the US was trying to define itself, they invaded us. It's just a phase of progression that every successful people must go through. Because we're about a century behind the US, our cultural revolution, if we can call it that, has come much later... but it will pass and we'll all be better for it in the end.

Interesting times, though. Never a dull moment