Bush Banger!!

Want to discuss something else? Anything goes here!

Moderator: Bmat

Anthentar
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Anthentar »

They don't bully us so much as ignore us and take us for granted (it all being linked together). It's not part of US foreign policy to push Canada around... I mean, how would they look on the international scene if they were bullying us?
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become one. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into you." - Beyond Good and Evil, aphorism 146

Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Neurolanis »

Anthentar:

They don't bully us so much as ignore us and take us for granted...
I ... :?:

Anthentar
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Anthentar »

They ignore us and assume that we'll always be thre to back them up if required (taking us for granted). They also do some things every now and then with the assumption that we'll go along with it (taking us for granted). But on the whole, American foreign policy ignores Canada
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become one. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into you." - Beyond Good and Evil, aphorism 146

Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Neurolanis »

See I consider that a form of bullying. Take along your little brother and than take advantage and ignore him. :lol:

Anthentar
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Anthentar »

I personally don't see it as a form of bullying. It's not like they try to hurt us in any way... although this softwood lumber issue kinda makes you wonder what the Bush Administration is trying to do

FantasyMan
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Post by FantasyMan »

wow this thread took off :) well one thing here is my fav bumper sticker "some where in texas a ranch is missing it Ass" :) i think its funny
"We have nothing to fear, but fear itself"

-Franklin D. Roosevelt

R.I.P Aldan we know now, that you are in a better place

Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Post by Magus »

Neurolanis, America is not bullying Canada with their foreign policy. America's foreign policy is doing what it should do; work to benefit America. Canada's foreign policy does the same thing, work to benefit itself. Why should one nation try to promote another at the expense of itself? That is not the goal of politics and government. I fail to see how America is bullying Canada or how any of its own internal problems (Health care, taxes, film industry, etc...) are the fault of the American people or American government.

Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Neurolanis »

I understand intirely, of course a country needs tp put its own interests first and this is what I'm saying. Sometimes we get leaders who put their American political ties above Canadian issues. I'm not sure about Martin..

Anthentar
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Anthentar »

I believe you are speaking of Mulroney, Neuro... but could be wrong. Anyway, even he was looking out for what he thought was in Canada's best interest. You must understand that people within a country don't always agree on what's best for the country as a whole. It comes down to those in power. They must use their better judgement and common sense to do what they believe is in the best interests of Canadians. It just so happens that sometimes what we want is exactly what the Americans want too.

All in all, I think things work out very well when we both want the same thing. Things go smoothly. It doesn't happen very often. I don't think you should be hyper critical of politicians with a foreign or domestic policy that seems to mirror or reflect American interests. They wouldn't do anything unless we're going to come out better for it in the end

Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Post by Magus »

You want an instance of America bullying another country? Let's talk about Spain in Florida and how America acquired it. We basically stole it from them.

SirJill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SirJill »

I have to agree with Merle on this one.

GW, as much as I'd like to blame it on him, is not solely responsible for the recession.

I'm in AP US history this year, and one of the patterns we've noticed with US economy is a boom-bust cycle. Bush just hit it on a bad year. But then again, starting a war (which I do blame him for) did not help the bust cycle.

Just because I feel the need for examples; Take Andrew Jackson and Martin Van Buren. Jackson..while a nice President, did not do happy things for the economy; he vetoed the rechartering of the Second National bank, and as a direct result of this, caused the Panic of 1837. To solve this he was forced to create the National Treasury. However, this did not make Van Buren's Presidency any better; he was blamed for the recession, and not cleaning it up, and so lost the election the next year.

Magus--I thought we bought Florida from the Spanish...I know setters started moving in there and that Georgia was a buffer zone...but I don't remember any bullying.

In terms of Canada, I don't know much about US foreign policy toward you lot, but I do know that many of the kids in my school (and a few of the teachers) do not have a high opinion of Canada. I do my best to discourage this. This is what comes back to bite you in the butt...and one of the things I dislike most about living the US: Pro-US Egotism.
"I want to sit down, every day at my piano and write a song that people will listen to and remember. And do the same thing--for the rest of my life."

--Johnny Can't Decide, Tick, tick...Boom! by Jonathan Larson

Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Post by Magus »

But then again, starting a war... did not help the bust cycle.
It did when Roosevelt did it.

We did buy Florida from Spain. But you have to look at the state of things before the purchase. Spain was having uprisings and revolts in its other colonies. They withdrew all of their troops in order to retain their land holdings. Jackson was sent in to suppress criminals who would move into America, cause mischief, and then retreat to Florida. He was given explicit orders to punish criminals, but respect all Spanish forts and holdings. He executed British and Indian leaders and removed Spanish governors from power, all when Spain had no power to retaliate and America was seated comfortably behind a military alliance with Britain. We had already, in essence, ceased political control in Florida. Spain, needing to divert its attention to other matters elsewhere, sold the land to America because they were too weak at the time to uphold their land-rights. John Quincy Adams himself expressed his concerns, "that Spain had been robbed".

My opinion here: Jackson was certainly a skilled and tactful president who reshaped the politics of the nation, was far from a nice man. He was a brutal racist and an iron-fisted figure. There's a reason he was named "Old Hickory".