Good day,bad day...

Want to discuss something else? Anything goes here!

Moderator: Bmat

LightBrigade
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by LightBrigade »

Magus wrote:LightBrigade, ... ... ...
One is, how would you feel Nikolai Fyodorovich Fyodorov's influence on the author of The Brothers Karamazov (Братья Карамазовы in Russian, the language the work was originally written in), especially regarding patricide, appears in this work of literature?
To be entirely honest, I'd never heard of the man before you mentioned him. I am entirely unfamiliar with his philosophies and beliefs, so I cannot claim to comment on them at all. However, if you were to summarize them for me, I might be able to take a stab at it. ... ... ...
As with every thinker, Dostoevsky was deeply influenced by religion and philosophy, which reflects in his works.

The Brothers Karamazov indicates influences by the Russian philosopher N.F. Fyodorov’s aspect of patricide as Dostoevski examines the nature of truth and the importance of forgiveness through the actions of its characters. Fyodorov imagined a Christianity where descendants would balance their father’s sins through their own manner of living. In this practice of the whole of mankind, he envisaged a universal family. In this novel, where the sons, instead of redeeming their father, are complicit to their own father’s murder, the ideology of Fyodorov is poignantly reversed, offering The Brothers Karamzov the quality of tragedy in the classic sense.

Personal experience influence also shows in this novel (which began to be written in April 1878).

The death of Dostoevsky’s three-year-old son Alyosha of epilepsy (May 1878), inherited from the father, is apparent in the novel, in the story of Captain Snegiryov and his young son Ilyusha.

While doing forced labour in Siberia (1850’s) for circulating politically subversive texts, Dostoevsky encountered the young man Ilyinsky who had been convicted for patricide in order to acquire his father’s inheritance, yet some years later to be proven innocent when the actual murdered confessed. Dmitri Karamazov resembles Ilyinski in certain physical and emotional characteristics.
- - -
Certain literary techniques Dostoevski applied here have been found interesting. For example, the omniscient narrator angle or speech of the novel characters.

The attorney Fetyukovich says 'robbed' when he means 'stolen' and soon becomes clear he means to show more learned than what he truly is.

The author proclaims himself as a writer and refers to his own traits so often that he becomes a character of the novel himself! He appears to be privy to the protagonists’ thoughts and feelings, and this shows in the novel as his own voice merges with the tone of the characters he is describing. Thus, there is no voice of authority in The Brothers Karamazov.

- - -

What I have just written is merely in my natural habit of discussion, dialogue and debate, not in any way aiming directly or even indirectly to present concepts or worse, any bright ideas of one who thinks he is holding any truth whatsoever *laughter* I am saying this because the Internet is often a poor medium for exchange of ideas. So all this is written in appropriately low tone by one who is forever glad to learn.
---------------
Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing. - Oscar Wilde -

Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Post by Magus »

Just out of curiosity, have you read The Brothers Karamazov, then?

:rofl:

I don't know, at all, if I'd go so far as to say that there's no voice of authority at all in the book, but the "author" is definately a most questionable and unreliable narrator, and everything he writes should be taken with a grain of salt and more than a little bit of consideration.

Being that the trial became so infamous over all of Russia, and that the narrator himself could not possibly have been everywhere at once, it's curious to think of exactly how much is true, how much is sensationalized, how much is simply fictionalized, how much is guesswork or how much is imperfectly remembered. But, being that he claimed to live in the town, and know the family/affairs more intimately than most would, there is a degree of authority that he has. However, even then, everything is, and should be, suspect.
Fyodorov imagined a Christianity where descendants would balance their father’s sins through their own manner of living. In this practice of the whole of mankind, he envisaged a universal family.
You'd then claim this to be the root inspiration for Father Zosima's philosophy that everyone is guilty for all of the sin's of humanity?

I'd learned about the historical roots of the novel already (we did a fairly detailed author biography of Dostoevsky when we read Crime and Punishment) except for the part about the parricide. That I just read last week in one of the endnotes of my copy of the book.

Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Post by Magus »

Just to let everybody know, I started a Fyodor Dostoevsky topic, to which everybody's welcome, and all posts pertaining to that subject should be posted there from this point on, so as to keep this thread on-topic.

Thank you.

Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Dark Knight »

Well that's it, Team NZ lost and Alinghi won... :(

Alinghi retain America's Cup....

If you don't know what I am talking about, well it is boat racing...

We lost the last race by less than one second....

The Alinghi team is made up of mostly New Zealanders...

SpookyKatie
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Post by SpookyKatie »

Today has been... well ok.
It started out with me getting annoyed with two of the people who work in the same area as me.
It's just goes to show me no matter how much I try to help others, I can never hope that they will return the favor. But I know when I get back on Thursday things will be better. *evil grin* And hey, in this job everyone need to work like a team.

And also in a few weeks I'll have been at my job for a year.. And how I know... I had to get my 2ed TB test... Those suck because they burn when they stick the needle in you. I'll be getting it check Thursday to see if I'm clear.
Iron Skirt Kate, SV's very own super villain.
Art is love, love is art **Up-Date**

And take that old dusty road over to my blog!

Boikat
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Boikat »

Several guys at work have volunteered to help dispose of Ye Olde Oake Tree. I don't know when I'm going to try to remove it, but stand by for what should be a comedy of errors. :P

I think in about two weeks I'm going to take a week off, just to sit with my leg propped up, and watch Tee Wee.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!" Adam Savage, Mythbusters

LightBrigade
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by LightBrigade »

For the kind of day the fourth of this July has been, I had better listen to a new entry in the Chat Room.
When people agree with me, I always feel that I must be wrong. -- Oscar Wilde --

Boikat
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Boikat »

Good day. Went to see the early showing of "Transformers". Rained like the dickens on the way to the cinema, got there, and it's hadn't rained a drop. Saw the movie, liked it. Lot's of interesting movies on the way out. Afterward, went back to Bass Pro Shop to drool over a few items, then went back home. Propped up the leg, watched Tee Wee, and listened to it raining again.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!" Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Llew
True Visionary
True Visionary

Post by Llew »

I spent most of the day on a little island off the coast of Maine, painting a cabin, and just now got home from watching the fireworks.
“I Speak Spanish to God, Italian to Women, French to Men, and German to My Horse” - Charles V, King of Spain and Holy Roman Emperor, 1500–58

Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Post by Magus »

Incredible day, if only for the very last bit of it: I passed ALL of my AP classes (Psychology, English Language/Composition, English Literature?Composition, U.S. Government/Politics). I got fours on three of them, and a five on my English Language/Composition!

This means that I now have fifteen additional hours of college credit under my belt (my five in English Language/Composition counted for two classes). The year before I got a four on my AP U.S. History exam, scoring myself six credit hours that don't go for my major, minor nor gen-eds.

:roll:

But, needless to say, I'm quite jubilant.

I also saw Transformers (great action-packed ride that was aimed at the Transformers-nerd in me, even if it was more than just a little shy on character, plot and even decent cinematography), and read some more of The Phantom of the Opera.

LightBrigade
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by LightBrigade »

Very warm congratulations, Magus!

Llew, I know the drill :-( My house needs days on end with it. I have not started yet. Masonry repair is necessary first because the sea salt corrodes concrete. Why does using the trowel makes the forearms hurt so much all night afterwards! ... oh, and the next day. Or mixing spadefuls of cement and sand and limestone pulp to make concrete makes the shoulders burn and ache when you stop at the end of the day, as if they're being pulled apart! :smt022

aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by aldan »

The reason for the pain is as follows: You first use the trowel as a spade (a small one) to pick up the goop (as I like to call it) and that uses the forearms to lift and also to keep the 'scooper' from tipping one direction or another and spilling the 'goop'. Then, you dump the goop where you want it to go (which uses the same muscles in a different way). Then, you use the bottom of the trowel to spread it, which requires pushing down on the trowel as well as pushing in other directions to spread it properly. Now, that's just a few different ways the muscles are used for that, but I'm sure there are more...
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and to appear stupid than
to open it and remove all doubt."
---Mark Twain