A little tournament going on in Germany

Want to discuss something else? Anything goes here!

Moderator: Bmat

MrB
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

A little tournament going on in Germany

Post by MrB »

Well.... are any of you watching the World Cup ?

who do you think will win ?

do you even care ?
You can't dangle the bogus carrot of possible reconciliation in front of my face whilst riding some other donkey.

Qray

Post by Qray »

IMO, the Czechs are going to give the Brazilians a run for their money this year. They looked very good Monday.

who me
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by who me »

pim puts her hands to her ears, "I can not hear it any more!!!"

Qray

Post by Qray »

who me wrote:pim puts her hands to her ears, "I can not hear it any more!!!"
Well that's her problem right there...she's got her hands over her ears. That's why she can't hear.

FantasyMan
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Post by FantasyMan »

Ummm im watching...want brazil to win...(Because i dont think the US is gonna get out of the grouped stage)US plays ITaly today i think
"We have nothing to fear, but fear itself"

-Franklin D. Roosevelt

R.I.P Aldan we know now, that you are in a better place

Dragonfleet
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Post by Dragonfleet »

Just waiting for Brazil to absolutely dominate Australia. :P They did well against Japan but imo they're really out of their league.

Besides Rugby has more of an following here...>_>

aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by aldan »

Ah, another reason why I don't like soccer....

I don't know if any of you watched the US/Italy soccer match today, but I don't know that the US will get out of the first round, either. The problem wasn't their play today (they played better than Italy did), but instead it's due to the hatred of the United States that so many people who can be/are soccer officials have toward the country, which seems to colour their calling of the match. Picture this: the US got up one man due to the fact that an Italian player did swing an elbow into the face of an American player, drawing blood. Red Card city. However, after that, the US (of course) really turned up the heat on the Italians, so the next thing you know, they call a RED card on a slide tackle of a person who had the ball. Um, hello? No spikes involved, he was going after the ball, and the top of his shoe hit the Italian player's protected shin. They hadn't been calling that at all in all the other matches I've seen, as worse than a normal foul. However, they didn't call it as a normal foul or as a Yellow card, but as a Red card foul, which means not only an immediate ejection, but also removes them from playing in the next game. The officials did that twice to the Americans, leaving THEM a man down for the rest of the match. When the Americans later scored a goal, I can see how it was waved off, since the rules are fairly clear concerning visual interference (though while clear, they are NOT very, um, encompassing) by an American player of the Italian goalkeeper. I won't complain about that. That's simply calling the game.

I feel that the US stands the same chance of going on to the next round as that of Michael Jackson's next lover having any pubic hairs, and with the two reds, that pretty much guarantees it.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and to appear stupid than
to open it and remove all doubt."
---Mark Twain

FantasyMan
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Post by FantasyMan »

OMFG THAT REF SUCKED!!!! 3 RED CARDS IN ONE WC GAME!!! UNHEARD OF!!! EVEN THE COMMENTATORS SAID HE STANK!!! *goes back to normal controlled self*

-Franklin D. Roosevelt

FantasyMan
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Post by FantasyMan »

aldan wrote: I feel that the US stands the same chance of going on to the next round as that of Michael Jackson's next lover having any pubic hairs, and with the two reds, that pretty much guarantees it.

lmao god thats horrible...but funny!

-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Qray

Post by Qray »

With two matches under their belt, no wins, 1 draw, 1 goal for and 4 against, it's not looking all that good for the yanks. Who are currently at the bottom of their group.

I have to say, I'm really impressed by way Portugal's been playing this year. Surprised by the whooping the Czechs received from Ghana (that's soccer, baby! Good on ya, Ghana!) and glad the the German's are up with two wins.

Dragonfleet
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Post by Dragonfleet »

Well it's confirmed. 2-0 in the Brazil vs Australia match. The Aussies played well but it wasn't enough against the Brazilian magic. At least they went up against one of the best so it gave them a taste of what it's like. There's certainly room for improvement. :)

MrB
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Post by MrB »

aldan wrote:Ah, another reason why I don't like soccer....

I don't know if any of you watched the US/Italy soccer match today, but I don't know that the US will get out of the first round, either. The problem wasn't their play today (they played better than Italy did), but instead it's due to the hatred of the United States that so many people who can be/are soccer officials have toward the country, which seems to colour their calling of the match. Picture this: the US got up one man due to the fact that an Italian player did swing an elbow into the face of an American player, drawing blood. Red Card city. However, after that, the US (of course) really turned up the heat on the Italians, so the next thing you know, they call a RED card on a slide tackle of a person who had the ball. Um, hello? No spikes involved, he was going after the ball, and the top of his shoe hit the Italian player's protected shin. They hadn't been calling that at all in all the other matches I've seen, as worse than a normal foul. However, they didn't call it as a normal foul or as a Yellow card, but as a Red card foul, which means not only an immediate ejection, but also removes them from playing in the next game. The officials did that twice to the Americans, leaving THEM a man down for the rest of the match. When the Americans later scored a goal, I can see how it was waved off, since the rules are fairly clear concerning visual interference (though while clear, they are NOT very, um, encompassing) by an American player of the Italian goalkeeper. I won't complain about that. That's simply calling the game.

I feel that the US stands the same chance of going on to the next round as that of Michael Jackson's next lover having any pubic hairs, and with the two reds, that pretty much guarantees it.
I think you are being a little unfair there Aldan, The World Cup competition is not about politics, it's about Football, Whether or not the USA is hated by whomever is academic, on the football field, that's all forgotten, (at the last world cup, I believe the USA got through to the Quarter Finals...) however, I will agree that the standard of Referee-ing has been particularly poor, not just in the USA games, but in a lot of the other matches. I don't know how much of the world cup you've seen, but I've only missed one or two matches, and bad decisions have been across the board. One of the things that does amaze me is the USA's apparent lack of interest in the world cup, with a very large population and financial resources and the USA's ethic on Sporting events, you really should be one of the top footballing nations, up there with the likes of Germany, Argentina, Brazil and I would add England.
You can't dangle the bogus carrot of possible reconciliation in front of my face whilst riding some other donkey.