Five Soldiers Investigated

Want to discuss something else? Anything goes here!

Moderator: Bmat

Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Five Soldiers Investigated

Post by Neurolanis »

In Iraq, four American soldiers are being investigated with the rape and murder of a young woman (who’s reported age varies from 14 to 25) and a fifth for not reporting it, not to mention the killing of her family (including a five year old girl.) One official says it reflects well on them (the US army) that there is an investigation underway. But, that hardly saves face for the rape and muders of innocents.

But then, hanging around there this long with guns and authoriety might cause these incidents...

Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Neurolanis »

Here's a link, if anyone's interested:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060709/ap_ ... NlYwN0bQ--

aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by aldan »

Yes, long guns and authority, but don't forget that they are also there with big huge targets on their backs and chests. Still, does that excuse this kinda stuff?? *shakes head no* Not at all. Still, though, I can see how the soldiers' situation could almost encourage this sort of behavior, since even if they do NOT do illegal and immoral stuff there, they will be hated anyway, for no fault of their own.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and to appear stupid than
to open it and remove all doubt."
---Mark Twain

Qray

Re: Five Soldiers Investigated

Post by Qray »

Neurolanis wrote:One official says it reflects well on them (the US army) that there is an investigation underway. But, that hardly saves face for the rape and muders of innocents.
It reflects well on the U.S. Army in that it DOES NOT condone such actions.
Neurolanis wrote:But then, hanging around there this long with guns and authoriety might cause these incidents...
It has nothing to do with hanging around there this long with guns and authority. It has to do with improper training, poor leadership in their immediate chain of command, and a SERIOUS lack of moral character. I could not be more adamant about this.

MrB
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Post by MrB »

aldan wrote:Yes, long guns and authority, but don't forget that they are also there with big huge targets on their backs and chests. Still, does that excuse this kinda stuff?? *shakes head no* Not at all. Still, though, I can see how the soldiers' situation could almost encourage this sort of behavior, since even if they do NOT do illegal and immoral stuff there, they will be hated anyway, for no fault of their own.
Yes, they are there with targets on their backs, but is that not an occupational hazard ? If you're a soldier in a war zone, there is a pretty good chance that you are going to be shot at !

What possible situation could encourage that sort of barbarity and savagery, it is inexcusable. I agree this kind of thing does happen, but provocation by reason of extreme circumstances is no defence at all.

As regards illegal and immoral stuff, there have been a catalogue of illegal and immoral instances in Iraq and Afghanistan, it is no surprise that they are hated, and it is entirely their own fault in the same way the British (and other) soldiers who are their are hated, add to that the attitude of the coalition of Governments, it is no surprise at all that we are hated.

Think about it, lets take a hypothetical situation, suppose the US fell on hard times, China (probably the next super power) decides it wants to bring it's form of Communism to the people of the US as its the only way of saving the country. So it bombs the crap out of the country then sends in troops to occupy the towns and cities in order to "keep the piece" and bring Chinese values to the great people of the US at the same time as pilfering oil, gold, food and any other reserves it can think of, under the guise of "oil (insert commodity here) for aid" would you be happy about it ?

Look at it from the point of view of the Iraqi, if he hates the America/British/other soldier being in his country, to be honest he's got a pretty good reason for doing so !

Incidentally, Aldan, you often wax lyrical about the hatred of the USA by the rest of the World, surely you don't think its something as petty as jealousy do you ? surely you don't think that nations around the world are that stupid ? surely you think, maybe there are some valid reasons why ?
You can't dangle the bogus carrot of possible reconciliation in front of my face whilst riding some other donkey.

Believer
True Visionary
True Visionary

Post by Believer »

I would have to agree with Quay on this one.
Love: a temporary insanity, curable by marriage. -Ambrose Bierce-

Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Neurolanis »

Qray:

It has nothing to do with hanging around there this long with guns and authority. It has to do with improper training, poor leadership in their immediate chain of command, and a SERIOUS lack of moral character. I could not be more adamant about this.
You are right of course. Of course all armies have those characters who get into the military just to rape and murder. I knew a man in Toronto who wanted to get into the Canadian army because he wanted to "shoot some one." Not sure he made it or not, but if he was willing to work hard and could give all the right answers he might have gotten in.

Merle
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Post by Merle »

It is my fervent hope that the truth of the allegations is discovered. If the men are guilty, no punishment is severe enough. If innocent, I'm afraid no apology will suffice the damage done to their reputations. I have no idea whether it is true or not. They are already convicted in the papers, however.

Also, the terrorists have murdered three U.S. soldiers "in revenge" for the rapes and murders. Funny, the terrorists weren't nearly so upset about the thousands of rapes committed in Sadaam's rape rooms.
Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me.

Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Neurolanis »

Because they were committed by their own military, not a foreign one. Not that one is truly any worse than the other, from an outside perspective.