How big is your Carbon Footprint ?

Want to discuss something else? Anything goes here!

Moderator: Bmat

MrB
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

How big is your Carbon Footprint ?

Post by MrB »

Do you know, do you care ?

Ok for those who don't know, your Carbon Footprint is how much of an impact you make on the world from an environmental point of view. So do you recycle glass bottle and coke cans ? Do you own a large polluting SUV, or have you bought a hybrid car ?

Personally, I try to switch everything off at night, I recycle as much as I can, bottle, paper, cans and tins. My car is not the cleanest off vehicles, but I do try to walk or use public transport where ever possible, I have a composter in my garden and my wife beats me if I do something not considered environmentally friendly !

So what are you doing to save the planet, or do you even agree that Global warming is real threat to the world on which we live !
You can't dangle the bogus carrot of possible reconciliation in front of my face whilst riding some other donkey.

Qray

Post by Qray »

9 1/2 to 10"

The community I live in has had mandatory glass, plastic, metal, and paper recycling for the last 15 years.

Our landfill is designed in a way that the buried waste produces gas which is tanked and sold for heating.

My city also has the minor historical distinction of having the very first house ever powered by hydro-electric power and electricity is still drawn from the water here.

I don't own a hybrid, but if someone wants to give me one (ethanol only, none of that electric smeg) I'll be happy to have it. I drive a full size pick-up as I need it for work. However IMO, my other vehicle beats any hybrid out there. It's a motorcycle.

I rarely have more than one or two lights on in the house at any one time and I keep the thermostat at 52 degrees (except when I have company.) I used to have it at 50, but jacked it up a few degrees for the cats. It's not for any love of the enviornment, that's the max heating bill I can afford. Though if I could afford a pellet stove, I'd install one in a heartbeat. I plan on putting a wood-burner in the garage as well as soon as I can afford it.

There are other things, I change my furnace filter once a month and make sure it's tuned up every other year. I make sure my truck is tuned up regularly and the tire pressure is what it should be.

Most importantly, I've stopped going outside to arbitrarily discharge cans of hairspray in an effort to destroy the ozone layer because I'm cold now. Ariel, you still owe me a pair of hand-warmers :twisted:
I'm going to die the way I've lived...poor, screaming, and naked.

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Bmat »

My car receives careful maintenance.

I recycle plastic, glass, metal cans, and paper- all our recycling companies will accept.

I am careful about water use. I keep the AC up in the summer, although I turn it down at bedtime so I can sleep comfortably, and I keep the heat down in unused rooms in the winter. My winter temperature setting is not as low as Q's.

I compost.

I use cloth instead of paper, but not as much as I could. I don't like cloth handkerchiefs, for example. But I do use paper towels sparingly. Same thing with household chemicals. I use low wattage light bulbs. I know we are advised to use fluorescent, but the fluctuations in fluorescent bother me, so we have two fluorescent fixtures, but the rest are incandescent.

I have small TV's. I drop batteries and old cell phones into the proper collection bins. My husband takes used motor oil to a collection center.

Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Ariel »

We have mandatory recycling here though not everyone does. I recycle. When buying appliances I get energy efficient. Have those energy efficient lightbulbs in the halls, want to get ones that will fit the light fixtures in the house.

In the summer the air-conditioner is off all day while we are at work and turned on when we get home, then shut off for the night. We don't leave lights on in every room. Clothing and material possesions we no longer want but are in exellent condition go to those who want or need them.

Yes Q, a pair of hand warmers. :)

aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by aldan »

My transportation is free of pollutants. It's a bicycle. My property is completely clean, since it doesn't exist. My clothing preference is cotton.

*sigh*
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and to appear stupid than
to open it and remove all doubt."
---Mark Twain

celticmoe666
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by celticmoe666 »

Qray wrote:9 1/2 to 10"

The community I live in has had mandatory glass, plastic, metal, and paper recycling for the last 15 years.

Our landfill is designed in a way that the buried waste produces gas which is tanked and sold for heating.

My city also has the minor historical distinction of having the very first house ever powered by hydro-electric power and electricity is still drawn from the water here.

I don't own a hybrid, but if someone wants to give me one (ethanol only, none of that electric smeg) I'll be happy to have it. I drive a full size pick-up as I need it for work. However IMO, my other vehicle beats any hybrid out there. It's a motorcycle.

I rarely have more than one or two lights on in the house at any one time and I keep the thermostat at 52 degrees (except when I have company.) I used to have it at 50, but jacked it up a few degrees for the cats. It's not for any love of the enviornment, that's the max heating bill I can afford. Though if I could afford a pellet stove, I'd install one in a heartbeat. I plan on putting a wood-burner in the garage as well as soon as I can afford it.

There are other things, I change my furnace filter once a month and make sure it's tuned up every other year. I make sure my truck is tuned up regularly and the tire pressure is what it should be.

Most importantly, I've stopped going outside to arbitrarily discharge cans of hairspray in an effort to destroy the ozone layer because I'm cold now. Ariel, you still owe me a pair of hand-warmers :twisted:

*Points at yer foot* IM BIGGER! I wear 11-11 & 1/2s in men.... Translation.. 13-14 in womens... *trips over my own foot and falls down the stairs*
Kilts, thats whats for dinner tonight! *sheepish grin*

AHHA I said Sheep and Kilt in the same paragraph!! LOL... tee hee

Qray

Post by Qray »

Ariel wrote:Yes Q, a pair of hand warmers. :)
Fuzzy hand warmers?
celticmoe666 wrote:*Points at yer foot* IM BIGGER! I wear 11-11 & 1/2s in men.... Translation.. 13-14 in womens... *trips over my own foot and falls down the stairs*
Well...er...you know what they say about size...oh look, flying buttresses...

celticmoe666
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by celticmoe666 »

Qray wrote:
Ariel wrote:Yes Q, a pair of hand warmers. :)
Fuzzy hand warmers?
celticmoe666 wrote:*Points at yer foot* IM BIGGER! I wear 11-11 & 1/2s in men.... Translation.. 13-14 in womens... *trips over my own foot and falls down the stairs*
Well...er...you know what they say about size...oh look, flying buttresses...

That men with big feet are compensating for something?

Qray

Post by Qray »

celticmoe666 wrote:
Qray wrote:Well...er...you know what they say about size...oh look, flying buttresses...

That men with big feet are compensating for something?
That's not what I was going for, but it'll work.

So meself only having size 10 would mean... :twisted:

celticmoe666
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by celticmoe666 »

That the horn on yer forhead is 10' long and needs to be sharpen... *big grin*

Llew
True Visionary
True Visionary

Post by Llew »

Qray wrote: Well...er...you know what they say about size...oh look, flying buttresses...

:lol:
“I Speak Spanish to God, Italian to Women, French to Men, and German to My Horse” - Charles V, King of Spain and Holy Roman Emperor, 1500–58

Qray

Post by Qray »

celticmoe666 wrote:That the horn on yer forhead is 10' long and needs to be sharpen... *big grin*
Sharpened? And here I was thinking...polished? [roguish grin]