How big is your Carbon Footprint ?

Want to discuss something else? Anything goes here!

Moderator: Bmat

celticmoe666
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by celticmoe666 »

Qray wrote:
celticmoe666 wrote:That the horn on yer forhead is 10' long and needs to be sharpen... *big grin*
Sharpened? And here I was thinking...polished? [roguish grin]
Think you can spit and catch it on yer horn? O.o
Kilts, thats whats for dinner tonight! *sheepish grin*

AHHA I said Sheep and Kilt in the same paragraph!! LOL... tee hee

Qray

Post by Qray »

I'm not going to touch that with a ten foot pole.

Er, that didn't come out right.

Damn, neither did that.
I'm going to die the way I've lived...poor, screaming, and naked.

FantasyMan
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Post by FantasyMan »

Moe you beat me by a half size, i look redicilus i wear a size 11 shoe and im like 5'2" LOL
"We have nothing to fear, but fear itself"

-Franklin D. Roosevelt

R.I.P Aldan we know now, that you are in a better place

clknaps
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by clknaps »

Well I read somewhere that Paris Hilton has size 12 feet, and she's only like 5'2 or something. Yikes!

Anyway back to topic at hand, we just bought a new house (our first) and we spent a couple hundred dollars on those compact florescent light bulbs for every fixture in the house. We are also looking at converting our standard hot water heater to a tankless system, but that is going to cost some money.
Currently we have the heat and air turned off (cause we are never there) so we are using far less energy than most. Our car is an old clunker, just what we can afford at the moment, but I know I would never own an SUV. We only drive it once a month anyway.

Sacramento is cold right now. Back to work! CLK
She sells seashells by the seashore.
Rubber baby buggy bumpers.
I shot the city sheriff.

Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Ariel »

A shoe size thread? :shock:

FantasyMan
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Post by FantasyMan »

hehe
"We have nothing to fear, but fear itself"

-Franklin D. Roosevelt

R.I.P Aldan we know now, that you are in a better place

Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Dark Knight »

Of course no one alive today can bet the gaints for foot size...

How about a foot that is 25.5 inches

celticmoe666
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by celticmoe666 »

clknaps wrote:Well I read somewhere that Paris Hilton has size 12 feet, and she's only like 5'2 or something. Yikes!

Anyway back to topic at hand, we just bought a new house (our first) and we spent a couple hundred dollars on those compact florescent light bulbs for every fixture in the house. We are also looking at converting our standard hot water heater to a tankless system, but that is going to cost some money.
Currently we have the heat and air turned off (cause we are never there) so we are using far less energy than most. Our car is an old clunker, just what we can afford at the moment, but I know I would never own an SUV. We only drive it once a month anyway.

Sacramento is cold right now. Back to work! CLK
Paris Hilton is taller than me, Shes like 6 foot or something like that..
Kilts, thats whats for dinner tonight! *sheepish grin*

AHHA I said Sheep and Kilt in the same paragraph!! LOL... tee hee

Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Dark Knight »

Standard light bulbs to be switched off

5:00AM Wednesday February 21, 2007
By Greg Ansley

New Zealand and Australia are about to turn off the incandescent lights that have illuminated them since the bulb was invented more than 120 years ago.

Australian Environment Minister Malcolm Turnbull yesterday announced that traditional light bulbs would be phased out within three years - a move he said would be a world first.

Under law, the super-cheap lighting will vanish from supermarket shelves by 2010, replaced by energy-efficient alternatives such as compact fluorescent bulbs.

Mr Turnbull estimated the move would slash Australia's greenhouse gas emissions by about 8000 tonnes a year in the five years to 2012.

In Wellington, Climate Change Minister David Parker said New Zealand was likely to implement similar measures.

"The Australians are talking about looking at banning ordinary lightbulbs in three years' time.

"Of course new-technology lightbulbs are cost-effective - as well as reducing emissions, they only use about a fifth of the electricity - and I expect in the next couple of years we will be considering those sorts of measures but I don't think there will be an immediate ban."

The timeframe would be similar.

"I think by the time that is implemented in Australia - if it is - we will be doing something very similar."

Energy-efficient lightbulbs come in several shapes including rectangular, spiral and global.

There is no filament to burn through like standard bulbs. Instead they contain gas, which glows inside.

They last eight times longer and use about a fifth of the power.

They cost between about $4 and $7, compared with standard lightbulbs that sell for about $1.

Greens co-leader Jeanette Fitzsimons, the Government's energy efficiency spokeswoman, said New Zealand would set a minimum performance standard for lightbulbs.

Ms Fitzsimons said she had the authority to get the Government's Energy Efficiency and Conservation Authority to look at the issue and she would ask it to do so.

"The small additional cost for compact fluorescence compared with incandescent bulbs pays for itself easily over the life of the bulbs, even if you don't count the cost of having to constantly change them, because they last much longer."

In Australia, lighting accounts for 12 per cent of domestic greenhouse gas emissions and 25 per cent of public sector emissions.

Mr Turnbull said phasing out the traditional bulbs could rapidly reduce emissions by 2015 and save a great deal of electricity.

"These are not small bikkies. These are big bikkies."

If all 60,000 households in Waitakere City replaced five standard 100W bulbs with five 20W compact fluorescent lights, the electricity saved would be equivalent to the annual electricity usage of 3504 households.

from http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/sto ... d=10425018

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Bmat »

I just saw on TV about "Carbon Offsetting." It appears that you figure out your carbon footprint and then donate the cost to a company who uses the money to plant trees or to fund some other project that will reduce the amount of carbon that you generate.

Does anyone here know anything about this? I must have a suspicious mind, but I don't think that I'd give money to a company. If I wanted to carbon offset I'd spend my money directly or plant my own trees.

Qray

Post by Qray »

I've never heard of it before either. I think I'd be suspicious of it too.
I'm going to die the way I've lived...poor, screaming, and naked.

who me
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by who me »

I know that when we lived in the USA we got little trees from the county for fee to plant in our yard.