Posted annoyances...

Want to discuss something else? Anything goes here!

Moderator: Bmat

aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by aldan »

*aldan nods, then falls asleep*
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and to appear stupid than
to open it and remove all doubt."
---Mark Twain

Nautilus
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by Nautilus »

:lol:

I haven't been very active on any boards so I still have some newbie tendencies. :oops:

Don't know of any annoyances at the moment other than this small gripe:

Everyone has such a blast on this site that it'll take me awhile to read the vast number of posts and catch up on all the shenanigans. :shock: :lol: :roll:

Been so busy lately, I didn't realize I miss coming--er, lurking--here. :wink:

Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Ariel »

Lurk no more! Join in and have fun! Unless you're in a serious thread. We do have those... somewhere.

Llew
True Visionary
True Visionary

Post by Llew »

aldan wrote:*aldan nods, then falls asleep*
Oh thank you! :lol:
Lurk no more! Join in and have fun! Unless you're in a serious thread. We do have those... somewhere.
Do do! 8)
“I Speak Spanish to God, Italian to Women, French to Men, and German to My Horse” - Charles V, King of Spain and Holy Roman Emperor, 1500–58

aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by aldan »

Well, even on the ones that concentrate on serious subjects, we don't seem to focus solely on the subject at hand (if the subject's a serious one, anyway), but generally we will keep in the general vicinity of the ideas behind the posting... well, maybe not... ;D

Well, in any case, this site contains not only nuts, but also some people with pretty stout skills in many areas, so if you have questions to ask, or opinions you want to taste, post them here on the site (if you don't know where to post them, and can't figure it out from the way the site's set up, then you either need to ask Magus, Bmat or Qray, or you need to go splash some cold, cold water on your face and try again...) and you'll get some answer(s) that should give you help you're asking for.
---Mark Twain

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Bmat »

If the thread happens to end up in the wrong forum, usually a mod will ask if you'd like it moved to a different forum. So there's no need to worry about putting the thread in the wrong place.

Boikat
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Boikat »

I'd like to reiterate one of the peeves in my own words:

Please do not play "grammar police" unless asked to, and I'd also ask that if you feel the need to correct someones spelling, grammar, or punctuation, that you do so via PM.

By posting corrections for everyone to see, you 1) demean the poster you are correcting, even if you do not mean to, 2) if not done properly, come across as a bit on the arrogant side, and 3) stand a chance of turning off a posters willingness to post for fear (or loathing) of being "corrected".

I've looked at all boards that I've ever posted on as a venue for entertainment and learning, but not at the expense of my, or anyone else's self esteem. For my part, if someone uses "your" instead of "you're", as long as I know what the poster meant, I'm not bothered. I'm sure that are others that are driven up the wall by that, and there's not much that can be done about that, except a request that if you feel you have to correct the error, please do it via PM.

Sorry, but I just had to get that rant off my chest. If I've made a grammatical error, feel free to correct me via PM.

I'm finished ranting now.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!" Adam Savage, Mythbusters

LightBrigade
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by LightBrigade »

Dear Boikat, please, allow me to speak freely, not speaking to you in person or character, but addressing concepts of behaviour in public at the opportunity of a detailed presentation you have made.

I would thus beg you, not merely type here, that if I fail to make this clear, and you _in any way_ perceive any kind of aggression, insult, personal attack or any other negative impression towards you, whom I value, in my post, this post will be deleted by your command at no further utterance of mine.
Boikat wrote:Please do not play "grammar police" unless asked to, and I'd also ask that if you feel the need to correct someones spelling, grammar, or punctuation, that you do so via PM.
By right of equal arms, I could then ask:

Please do not tire our eyes, exhaust our brain capacity and test our nerves by doing what you like as you like it wherever you like it.

There are two parts of reality no one may ignore, I hope we all agree:

Speaking is governed by rules for people to communicate.

Otherwise, we gurgle or air our intestine and if anyone gets it, it's ok.

Egotism is wanting everyone else to live as YOU want.

Speaking as one wishes and expecting to be understood - since they address a public by writing in a public post- is pure arrogance in monumental egotism.

Boikat wrote:By posting corrections for everyone to see, you 1) demean the poster you are correcting, even if you do not mean to, 2) if not done properly, come across as a bit on the arrogant side, and 3) stand a chance of turning off a posters willingness to post for fear (or loathing) of being "corrected".
Fair towards anyone who plays at being the One And Only who is entitled to do as it pleases their own little or big self in public. Well deserved, then!
Boikat wrote:.. I'd also ask that if you feel the need to correct someones spelling, grammar, or punctuation, that you do so via PM.
Only if they _equally_ PM me with their posts without putting it out in public. This fair to one who is such fair.

- - -
I was just thinking... there is a difference between responsibility and irresponsibility in speaking in public.
Last edited by LightBrigade on Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.

LightBrigade
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by LightBrigade »

Boikat wrote:If I've made a grammatical error, feel free to correct me via PM.
I understand why you ask this. I am afraid that once you are given the tools to avoid it when you go on to speak in public, you are not fair when you demand special treatment. It is special treatment because speaking in public means you accept the responsibility to adopt the conventions all participants in a society make in order that this society functions. One of these conventions is speak in a way that we can communicative, or use a language.

If a language has rules, rules we are to follow.

As for the opposite,

the last experiment of this kind was Babel.

- - -

This is a post where I speak personally to you, dear Boikat. The exactly previous one is not.
Last edited by LightBrigade on Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LightBrigade
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by LightBrigade »

Question submitted to me at my posting above - if the person wishes to reveal his or her name, the board is still(*) open:

"Are you also saying that it is unreasonable for corrections to be made by way of PM?" ("Also" entered because the discussion was about many points in the post.)

No, I am not saying it is unreasonable. I feel it is the best way unless we have one who needs a public remark to take it seriously _at last_, it is the most polite way, and it admittedly takes a highly civilised person who is guided by principles like virtue and mercy to consider such delicate practice and humane treatment.

On the other hand, it would work negatively in two directions. It would allow for "chatspeak" and other "speak" of code not all can understand, and to a diversity of other extremes, while we _already_ have incidents of good posters being obscure due to various such involuntary occurrences. Where we already experience communication hindered. Practically, total lack of _public_ control in the language matter would in the length of time, mean Babel.

Second, setting PM-ing as the only allowed means in the case, would work as one more rule of restriction of free speech. As in social terms, such a rule imposed

is _unilateral restriction_ of freedom of speech.

(*) Still was added for a colour of thrill or even suspense at best, that is all - Incorrigible LB

------------------
Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live. -- Oscar Wilde --

aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by aldan »

Of course, a 'still' is where certain rather powerful alcoholic beverages are (illegally) created... but you wouldn't be speaking of that, now, would you??
---Mark Twain

Boikat
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Boikat »

LightBrigade wrote:
Boikat wrote:If I've made a grammatical error, feel free to correct me via PM.
I understand why you ask this. I am afraid that once you are given the tools to avoid it when you go on to speak in public, you are not fair when you demand special treatment. It is special treatment because speaking in public means you accept the responsibility to adopt the conventions all participants in a society make in order that this society functions. One of these conventions is speak in a way that we can communicative, or use a language.

If a language has rules, rules we are to follow.

As for the opposite,

he last experiment of this kind was Babel.

- - -

This is a post where I speak personally to you, dear Boikat. The exactly previous one is not.
The main point I wanted to make was that corrections in public can turn some posters off from posting.

Once again, the main reason I read and post here is for enjoyment, not to have any of my writings picked apart for spelling/grammar/punctuation errors or mistakes. If there is some egregious error that someone feels they have to correct it, I have no problem with that, if it's done via PM, and then I will use the "edit' function to correct it. It's no big deal. It's not a matter of "special treatment", it a matter of personal preference.

There's an old supervisor/management saying: "Praise in public, correct in private." There's a good reason for that principle.

Think of being in school. Which would you rather have; A teacher who hands you your test with a failing grade and a note explaining why you failed, or a teacher who reads your failing score out loud to the rest of the class?
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!" Adam Savage, Mythbusters