Posted annoyances...

Want to discuss something else? Anything goes here!

Moderator: Bmat

The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by The Master »

SpookyKatie wrote:So what kind of snacks does Fluffy likes? Kids ages 2-7 or 8-13?
Yes.

RHFay
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by RHFay »

Boikat wrote:Looks more like an Allosarus atrox, from the Morrison formation...

Either way, very effective crowd control. :)
Are there only two fingers there? If so, it looks more like an Albertosaurus, an earlier and more gracile relative of T. rex. Also, Albertosaurus horns point more forward than those of A. atrox, and Allosaurus has a shorter more "bulldog" snout than Albertosaurus.

Definitely not a "raptor"; they have rather large forearms with strongly clawed fingers. Still a nice and cuddly pet. :D

Wait, where are the feathers? :shock:

Cheers!

Boikat
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Boikat »

RHFay wrote:
Boikat wrote:Looks more like an Allosarus atrox, from the Morrison formation...

Either way, very effective crowd control. :)
Are there only two fingers there? If so, it looks more like an Albertosaurus, an earlier and more gracile relative of T. rex. Also, Albertosaurus horns point more forward than those of A. atrox, and Allosaurus has a shorter more "bulldog" snout than Albertosaurus.
Looking closer, I think you're right. I mistook the foreshortened forearm to be a "finger" that might have been in shadow.

RHFay wrote:Definitely not a "raptor"; they have rather large forearms with strongly clawed fingers. Still a nice and cuddly pet. :D

Wait, where are the feathers? :shock:

Cheers!
It looks like an adult, so it may have lost them during puberty. :P
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!" Adam Savage, Mythbusters

RHFay
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by RHFay »

By the way, I hope my previous post wasn't an example of a "posted annoyance". :wink:

I just have an interest in Dinosaurs! :D

RHFay
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by RHFay »

Boikat wrote: It looks like an adult, so it may have lost them during puberty. :P
Probably so. They wouldn't have needed feathers as adults; their body size alone could have kept them warm. They might have had more problems keeping cool.

The metabolism of the Tyrannosaurs (a family of dinosaurs that includes, but is not restrticted to, T.rex) is still being sorted out, but I seem to recall that scientists examining various stages of Albertosaurus concluded that they had different metabolic rates, with different strategies, at different stages of life. It is possible that the young had feathers.

There was an article recently about a Tyrannosaur ancestor, found in China I believe, that may have been feathered. Let me see if I can find a link.

Boikat
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Boikat »

RHFay wrote:By the way, I hope my previous post wasn't an example of a "posted annoyance". :wink:
Nah! It was not a grammar/spelling/punctuation thing. :)
RHFay wrote:I just have an interest in Dinosaurs! :D
Same here. Along with Trilobites, Brachiopods, Crinoids, or as I once put it, "All things dead for a couple of thousand years or more."
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!" Adam Savage, Mythbusters

RHFay
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Feathered Tyrannosaur...

Post by RHFay »

Ah ha...here it is! An article from the BBC about Dilong paradoxus, a Tyrannosaur-ancestor fossil with feathers, found in Liaoning Province, China:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3726370.stm

They even suggest in the article that Tyrannosaurs may have lost their feathers as they matured. Weird stuff!

Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Dark Knight »

Did they find feathers? No, they find what they called Proto-Feathers. Are these feathers?

May be it is just hair...

RHFay
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by RHFay »

Dark Knight wrote:Did they find feathers? No, they find what they called Proto-Feathers. Are these feathers?

May be it is just hair...
True, the "proto-feathers" in this case do seem to be filamentous. Perhaps we should say that this dinosaur had "some sort of filamentous integument covering".

Of course, there are other dinosaurs that exhibit more advanced feathers, such as Microraptor:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/2684927.stm

And this, a dromeosaur with true feathers (with shafts and barbs):
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/1858574.stm

And Caudipteryx and Protoarchaeopteryx apparently had true feathers, too:
http://www.cnn.com/TECH/science/9806/23 ... .dinosaur/

There are now at least a handful of dinosaur fossils that show definite traces of true feathers, not just protofeathers. Not to mention Archaeopteryx, which would really be classed as a tiny dinosaur if the feathers were stripped away.
Last edited by RHFay on Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by aldan »

...an FYI from aldan... short and to the point (or at least as much as aldan is EVER to the point!):

posted annoyances is not ONLY such things as I mentioned in my first post. It's also such things that can annoy considerably, such as sniping, meanness, snideness, rudeness and other such cruel behavior in posts. It can also be other things. I set this post up to more than just vent MY annoyedness (is that a word?? *aldan shrugs*). It was set up so that ANYONE could mention things that they run into online that they fine really annoying or difficult to 'deal with'.

Point finished.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and to appear stupid than
to open it and remove all doubt."
---Mark Twain

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Bmat »

Bots and spammers annoy me. They aren't interested in discussion, they just want to advertise their own interests.

RHFay
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Spam: tasty after pillaging...

Post by RHFay »

Mmm..Spam's a tasty treat after a hard day's pillaging and plundering, or so say the Vikings.

(The Vikings were really peaceful pagan traders, you know! All they wanted was some Spam.)