speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

SV's Top Science Fiction/Fantasy Television Poll

Want to discuss something else? Anything goes here!

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

SV's Top Science Fiction/Fantasy Television Poll

Postby Qray » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:37 am

Nominate your favorite science fiction or fantasy television show in SV's Top Science Fiction/Fantasy Television Poll
Qray

Blog: View Blog (49)

Postby who me » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:11 am

the pim and Q show!
that show dose not exist.
ed!
that is a character in a show. it has to be a show.
gattaca
that is a film.
PATD!
that is a story. a show you have to nominate a show. it is hopeless to try to be serious with these people.
cowboy bebop.
thank you.
and firefly!
you have to pick one.
firefly VS cowboy bebop!
that is it I'm going home Ive had it!
Dr.who?
who me
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby Qray » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:26 am

Good choices all, pim. Nominate them here.

If the PATD were made into a TV series, who would play Q?

You don't want to know.

I probably don't.
Qray

Postby Qray » Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:46 pm

Question for the group...

Is MST3K (Mystery Science Theater 3000) considered a science fiction series?
I'm going to die the way I've lived...poor, screaming, and naked.
Qray

Postby Bmat » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:50 pm

That's the show where they have old SF and sit there and make jokes about it, right? I wouldn't call it SF.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby Qray » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:23 am

Bmat wrote:That's the show where they have old SF and sit there and make jokes about it, right? I wouldn't call it SF.

Yup, that's the show. Though basically a series based on showing really bad Science Fiction, there were additional stories going on before, after, and during the movies. Though the core of the show always remained the bad Science Fiction movies.

Some people I know maintain it's nothing but a movie clip show like Elvira's show was, while others maintain there's an intricate plot going on wihtout the movies being shown.

From mst3kinfo.com...
Although the details of its premise changed radically over its 11 seasons, Mystery Science Theater 3000 was really always about one thing: making fun of bad movies.

Initially, the main character was Joel Robinson, who had once been a janitor at a top-secret research facility, Gizmonic Institute, but who had been marooned on an orbiting space ship called the Satellite of Love (SOL) by two evil scientists, Dr. Clayton Forrester (Dr. F.) and Dr. Laurence Erhardt. At first operating from within Gizmonic Institute itself, and later from a cave-like underground hideout called Deep 13, Forrester and Erhardt had an evil plan: They would force Robinson to watch one bad movie after another, in order to study how he would cope with such torture. Joel's only companions on the spaceship were four robots (often referred to collectively as "the bots") he'd built himself: Crow, Tom Servo, Gypsy and a camera robot named Cambot, through whose mechanical eye we see the proceedings. While Gypsy attended to the details of running the SOL, Crow and Tom's functions were to join Joel in the Mystery Science Theater as he watched the movies.

Over time, as performers came and went, there were changes in the characters and the premise. In the CC-era episodes, Dr. Erhardt went "missing" and Dr. F. hired goofy lab assitant, TV's Frank. In the middle of the fifth season on CC, Joel managed to escape the SOL and was replaced, as Dr. F.'s guinea pig, by unsuspecting temp Mike Nelson. In the final season on CC, Frank was "assumed into second banana heaven" and Pearl Forrester, Dr. F.'s domineering mother, moved into Deep 13. In the final episode of that season, all the characters (except Pearl) were mystically transmuted.

When the series debuted on The Sci-Fi Channel, Pearl was in charge, continuing to send Mike bad movies. Pearl acquired two sidekicks: a refugee from The Planet of the Apes named Professor Bobo and an omniscient superbeing (whose brain resides outside his skull in a small dish) known as Observer (but who was often called Brain Guy). (By this time, the entire cast of the series when it first debuted had been replaced with new performers.)

During that season, the SOL left Earth orbit and Mike and the bots visited a series of planets, with Pearl and her crew in a small space ship chasing them through space--and, later, time. For the final two seasons of the series, Pearl and her crew made their way back to present-day Earth, and settled at Pearl's ancestral home, Castle Forrester, while Mike and the bots again orbited overhead.

But despite the many changes in the series, essentially the same thing happened in each episode: After some brief preliminaries, Dr. F./Pearl sent Joel/Mike the movie and in response Joel/Mike and the bots yelled "Movie Sign!" and then rushed to their places in the theater as we, the viewers, saw Cambot's path through several strange hatchways to his place in the back of the theater. There, Cambot watched as Joel/Mike and the bots took their seats and the movie began. We could see their silhouettes, sitting in theater seats at the bottom of our TV screens and, as they watched the movie, the three offered riotously funny commentary, satire and general heckling.

The comments from Joel/Mike and the bots, about 700 per episode, were the real heart and point of the show. The comments varied a great deal, from scatological silliness and sarcastic needling one moment, to complex wordplay and obscure references the next.

The show ran two hours, enough time to show an entire horrible movie, and sometimes a terrible one-reeler, as well. And three times (about once every half hour) during the movie, Joel/Mike and the bots came out of the theater to the SOL's bridge for short comedy bits known as host segments -- tomfoolery which may or may not have had some connection to the film they were watching.
I'm going to die the way I've lived...poor, screaming, and naked.
Qray

Postby The Master » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:39 pm

I think it does in a very lose way. While certainly contrived as an excuse for why they are watching all these B movies, the fact is there was a plot involving the hosts that made them and their companions characters instead of simply hosts. The fact that there were a lot of cast changes isn't all that important...if it were we would be disqualifying Dr. Who ;) . Elvira's persona as a contrast was a character she adopted of her own accord, not as part of any scripted plot.

So yeah, I would say that MST3K qualifies for voting.

Lets not forget Twilight Zone! Some real classics from that show.
The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (2)
Art: View My Art Gallery

Re:

Postby Sindatur » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:15 am

Qray wrote:Good choices all, pim. Nominate them here.

If the PATD were made into a TV series, who would play Q?

You don't want to know.

I probably don't.

Anyone but a Spice Girl ;)
Sindatur
Site Regular
Site Regular

Re: SV's Top Science Fiction/Fantasy Television Poll

Postby who me » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:04 pm

I know this carpenter in the Midwest some place who would make a perfect Q
who me
Resident Author
Resident Author