Headlines

Want to discuss something else? Anything goes here!

Moderator: Bmat

Starfire
Site Regular
Site Regular

Headlines

Post by Starfire »

Race car boss allegedly caught in Nazi costume sex scandal! Policing the Net looks at the scandalous video burning up the Web

That's the headline! I had to take a double take on that one! I guess we will get the details in an hour.

Heard any interesting "news" lately.

Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Dark Knight »

Mile-high tower: Saudi prince promises £5bn desert spire TWICE as tall as nearest rival being built
from http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/a ... ge_id=1811

It will be 5,250ft high.

Rival Dubai Tower expected to be 2,300ft with 160 storeys.

New York's Freedom Tower will not exceed 2,296ft

RHFay
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by RHFay »

This was a story from a week or so ago that got me riled up - "Molester claims he was a victim of Bigfoot":

http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2008 ... 008/366262

A sicko blaming Sasquatch for his repulsive behaviour. Although there are some legends about Sasquatch kidnapping and raping humans, I find this man's story to be plain disgusting.
"I'm going to do what the warriors of old did. I'm going to recite poetry!" Andrew of Armar.

Starfire
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by Starfire »

"YANGON, Myanmar - A group of armed men on Wednesday stole the body of one of Myanmar's most revered Buddhist monks, whose corpse has been preserved in a glass coffin since he died more than four years ago."

They stole the body of a monk?! EEEEEw. I know the cadavar lab at work was hard up, but come on.

"KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - When Roslan Ngah took a second wife, he might have wondered if she would get along with his first.

He need not have worried. The two women got along so well they decided to leave him at the same time."

Yes he was divorced by two wives at once! This could be the middle east version of "Diary of a Mad Black Woman"!

Boikat
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Boikat »

Film Legend Charlton Heston Dead at 84
Hollywood Legend, Conservative Activist Charlton Heston Dead at 84; Former NRA President

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wir ... id=4598145

"With his large, muscular build, well-boned face and sonorous voice, Heston proved the ideal star during the period when Hollywood was filling movie screens with panoramas depicting the religious and historical past. "I have a face that belongs in another century," he often remarked."
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!" Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Starfire
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by Starfire »

"DAMN YOU ALL, DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!!!!!"
*Shakes Fist"

RHFay
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by RHFay »

Here's one for the "what were they thinking?" files "Erotic Jesus sparks art debate in Austria":

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080407/lf_ ... ion_art_dc

Now, being an artist, I'm uncomfortable with censorship. However, I also personally disagree with the need among certain artists to create controversy by deliberately attacking the beliefs of others. Muslim, Jew, Christian, Hindu, Buddhist, Wiccan, Atheist, Agnostic, I don't care what belief we're talking about here, showing a certain amount of respect for the beliefs of others is the decent thing to do.

Is it art done for the sake of art, or art done just to stir up trouble? There may be better ways to get your message across, if indeed there is a message there somewhere.

It kind of reminds me of the kid who constantly causes trouble to get attention. Wait a minute, that was me. Nevermind.
"I'm going to do what the warriors of old did. I'm going to recite poetry!" Andrew of Armar.

aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by aldan »

That's exactly what it is... using disturbing, controversial things to get attention for the artist. It happens quite often, I'm sorry to say. Some people just seem to think only of themselves and of what they can get out of something, without any thought whatsoever concerning what effect it may have on how others feel.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and to appear stupid than
to open it and remove all doubt."
---Mark Twain

RHFay
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by RHFay »

aldan wrote:That's exactly what it is... using disturbing, controversial things to get attention for the artist. It happens quite often, I'm sorry to say. Some people just seem to think only of themselves and of what they can get out of something, without any thought whatsoever concerning what effect it may have on how others feel.
I feel that art should get attention for art's sake, instead of just for being controversial. In my book it's merely a cheap trick, a quick way to get your fifteen minutes.

Sure, you can create controversial and disturbing art, but still get recognition and attention for artistic merit. "Guernica" by Picasso leaps immediately to mind. It's disturbing, but still artistic.

I feel it's often an indication of a lack of true talent when artists feel the need to go for shock-value to get noticed. It's like the dudes who drive down the street yelling curses out the window at passers-by, just to get a bit of attention and amusement. It's extremely childish, when you really think about it.

Starfire
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by Starfire »

This person is nothing more than a cheap provocateur. I have no idea when people see in modern art. I may be old fashioned, but I think art should involve talent, skill, and beauty.

M.C. Escher and Thomas Kincade are my two fav's.

Sad when you use art to put down rather than build up.

Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Dark Knight »

Trees chasing dogs as drought bites

There is a saying in Spain that during a drought, the trees chase after the dogs. Now it is ringing true as the country struggles to deal with the worst drought since the forties: reservoirs stand at 46 per cent of capacity and rainfall over the past 18 months has been 40 per cent below average.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/category/stor ... d=10502400

Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Dark Knight »

More nightmares for Boeing Dreamliner
5:00AM Wednesday April 09, 2008

Boeing said yesterday it would update investors on the progress of its 787 Dreamliner this week, likely heralding a widely anticipated further six to nine-month delay for the troubled programme.
from http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/3/sto ... d=10502806

I wouldn't want to fly on Dreamliner it might give me nightmares :wink: