Headlines

Want to discuss something else? Anything goes here!

Moderator: Bmat

Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Dark Knight »

Beheader ate bus victim, says Mountie at scene
5:00AM Monday August 04, 2008

TORONTO - The family of a 22-year-old Canadian man beheaded by a fellow passenger inside a bus, made a plea for privacy yesterday as more gruesome details of the crime were revealed.

A policeman at the scene of the killing reported seeing the attacker hacking off pieces of the victim and eating them, according to a tape leaked on the internet.

The police have not confirmed the victim's name, but his family says he was Tim McLean, who was returning home to Winnipeg from a job as a carnival worker in Edmonton.

He was killed last Thursday by another bus passenger who stabbed him 50 times and then cut his head off with a huge knife, a crime that shocked the country and drew wide media coverage.

Police have charged Vince Weiguang Li, 40, of Edmonton with second-degree murder.

"He was a little guy with a heart bigger than you could know," said the victim's uncle, Alex McLean, reading a prepared statement from the family to reporters in Winnipeg.

"Tim spent his life travelling and meeting new people and always saw the good in everyone. He had the most infectious giggle. You could hear him laughing a mile away," said McLean.

In the tape of police radio transmissions, a Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) officer refers to the attacker as "Badger" and says he is armed with a knife and a pair of scissors and "is defiling the body at the front of the bus as we speak".

"Okay, Badger's at the back of the bus, hacking off pieces and eating it," he says at the end of the approximately 80-second recording.

The bloody killing occurred as some passengers were napping and others watching The Legend of Zorro on television screens inside the bus. Greyhound spokeswoman Abby Wambaugh said there were 37 passengers on the bus at the time.

Li's employer said in an interview he was in shock to learn his "model employee" has been accused of the grisly attack. Vincent Augert, an independent contractor who distributes newspapers in Edmonton, said Li was one of his most reliable carriers.

"He was very punctual and always cleanly dressed. He was a very nice, polite guy."

Augert said Li had worked since last July.

"I had no odd suspicions about him at all. He was a very nice guy. He used to come to work every day, pick up his papers and get them to his customers without any problems," said Augert.

- AP
from http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/2/sto ... d=10525116
Man beheads girlfriend, is caught after chase
New 7:37AM Monday August 04, 2008

ATHENS - A 40-year-old man killed his girlfriend on the Greek island of Santorini, beheaded her, then tried to flee in a patrol car, a local official said.

He ran over two women doctors on a motorcycle before being caught by police, the official said.

The unnamed suspect was shot by police five times and is undergoing surgery at an island hospital, said Chrysanthos Roussos, head of the Santorini district on the island.

Initially, the man drove around the village of Vourvoulos exhibiting the woman's head, Roussos said. Policemen chased him, wounding him with gunfire, the official said.

When a policeman tried to handcuff him, the suspect knifed the officer and flung the victim's head into a patrol car, Roussos said.

The suspect then tried to escape in a second patrol car and ran over the motorcycle before he was caught, Roussos said. The two doctors suffered multiple fractures, Roussos said.

The suspect, from northern Greece, was reported to have worked at a local restaurant. The victim, said to be in her mid to late 20s, was a teacher in a local village, Angelos Roussos the mayor of Thira, the island's main town, was quoted as saying by TV station Antenna. Angelos Roussos and Chrysanthos Roussos are not related.

Police refused comment.

- AP
from http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/2/sto ... d=10525139

Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Dark Knight »

Gorillas that we missed
More than 125,000 western lowland gorillas have been discovered deep in the forests of the Republic of Congo, at least doubling their estimated population, primatologists said yesterday.

For centuries the reclusive and endangered gorillas remained largely unrecorded, but a new census by the Wildlife Conservation Society, based at the Bronx Zoo in New York City, and the Republic of Congo counted the newly discovered populations in two areas of the northern part of the country covering 47,000 sq km.

Previous estimates put the number of western lowland gorillas at less than 100,000. But those measures dated back to the 1980s and the gorillas' numbers were believed to have fallen by at least 50 per cent since then due to hunting and disease, researchers said. The newly discovered gorilla population now increases their estimated numbers to between 175,000 and 225,000.

"This is a very significant discovery because of the terrible decline in population of these magnificent creatures to ebola and bush meat," said Emma Stokes, one of the research team. "They had not been previously recorded because these are very remote areas that are quite inaccessible and logistically tough to survey."

Western lowland gorillas are one of four gorilla subspecies, which also include mountain gorillas, eastern lowland gorillas, and Cross River gorillas. All are labelled either endangered or critically endangered by the International Union for Conservation of Nature.

The researchers worked out population figures by identifying and counting the sleeping "nests" gorillas make. The creatures are too reclusive and shy to count individually.

While calling the discovery important, Stokes said it did not mean gorilla numbers in the wild were now safe. "Far from being safe, the gorillas are still under threat from ebola and hunting for bush meat. We must not become complacent about this. Ebola can wipe out thousands in a short period of time."

The discovery was announced as primatologists in Edinburgh warned that nearly half of the world's 634 types of primates were in danger of becoming extinct because of human activity.

Scientists meeting at the International Primatological Society Congress in Edinburgh said they hoped the report would help to spur a global defence of mankind's nearest relatives from deforestation and hunting.

- AP
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/2/sto ... d=10525534

8)

The creatures are too reclusive and shy to count individually:

:sofa:

Qray

Post by Qray »

125,000!?!?!?!?

Ok, I understand the difficulties in counting them, but 125,000!?!?!?
I'm going to die the way I've lived...poor, screaming, and naked.

aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by aldan »

Well, it's not like the mountainous jungles are that easy or open, to be able to explore to FIND them, especially when you don't even know they're there. I've not explored jungles, but I HAVE done so in forests and mountains, and sightlines are very short, so you could be within a quarter mile of a large band and you'd not even know it, in a jungle like the Congo.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and to appear stupid than
to open it and remove all doubt."
---Mark Twain

Qray

Post by Qray »

But 125 THOUSAND?
I'm going to die the way I've lived...poor, screaming, and naked.

Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Dark Knight »

and now for the next shocker:

Pair say they have body of Bigfoot

PALO ALTO, Calif., Aug. 16 (UPI) -- Sasquatch is well preserved, if not alive, after being found in the Georgia woods, say two self-proclaimed trackers.

Matthew Whitton and Rick Dyer held a Saturday news conference and showed photos of what they claim is a 500-plus-pound dead biped they are keeping in a cooler at an undisclosed location. Pictures and descriptions are available on the Internet at : http://www.searchingforbigfoot.com.

Their Web site claims the ape-like creature, named Rickmat in honor of its finders, measures 7 feet, 7 inches tall, with reddish hair, black-gray eyes and teeth similar to a human's.

But other Bigfoot hunters are unconvinced.

"It looks like a costume, a waterlogged costume that's been stuffed into a freezer," Jeff Meldrum, an associate professor of anatomy and anthropology at Idaho State University, told The Washington Post Saturday. "It just doesn't have the hallmark of a real corpse."

from http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2008/08/16/ ... 218909552/

:roll:

Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Re: Headlines

Post by Dark Knight »

NZ's great but no place like gnome
5:00AM Thursday August 14, 2008

The British owner of a stolen garden gnome taken on a world journey said he enjoyed his adventures in New Zealand.

Murphy the 3.5kg gnome was taken from pensioner Eve Stuart-Kelso's Gloucestershire garden about 10 months ago and went on to traverse three continents and 12 countries.

He was then returned to Stuart-Kelso's garden minus his feet, but with a photo album describing his adventures.

Stuart-Kelso said yesterday that among the photos was one of Murphy standing on the Franz Josef glacier in the Southern Alps.

"The young man [who took him] was called Simon Randall and he said that New Zealand was his favourite country - it was so varied," she told Radio New Zealand.

Stuart-Kelso said she had met Randall and the first thing he did was apologise. He told her he thought Murphy had lost his feet while abseiling down a mountain.

Murphy has achieved national celebrity status because of his exploits. A letter supposedly from Murphy blamed wanderlust.

"I came to the conclusion that there is more to life than watching the daily commuter traffic and allowing passing cats to urinate on you," the letter read.

- NZPA

from http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/2/sto ... d=10526962

If Murphy could travel the world, why did it let cats urinate on him... :?:
The young man [who took him] was called Simon Randall and he said that New Zealand was his favourite country
Right ON :!: 8) :mrgreen: :alien: :cheers:

Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Dark Knight »

If your travelling to or from Auckland NZ, don't bring your cat

Cat's airport escape triggers 7-day hunt
5:00AM Wednesday August 20, 2008
By Brooke Donovan

Not even the promise of a family reunion was enough to get one reluctant passenger to the departure gate at Auckland International Airport last week.

Kyle Clark's two cats were due to fly to Canada last Wednesday night to join him and his family.

Dr Clark said he paid around $2000 to fly his cats to join his family in Canada but the 1-year-old cat escaped from the cage while waiting for his plane and has not been seen in seven days.

"My two cats are part of the family which is why it was worth spending $2000 for them to be flown halfway around the world," Dr Clark said. "This is a devastating tragedy for me."

He said although efforts were being made to find the cat, "no one is taking any responsibility for the fact he has been lost".

He said Air New Zealand needed to review its procedures for transporting animals and he didn't want to have to pay for the flights again.

He would already be liable for another pre-flight veterinary check for the remaining cat. He wanted the airline to refund the lost cat's fare and transport the remaining cat free of charge.

"Questions regarding who will pay for my other cat to be flown over, since she was taken off the scheduled flight, are being dodged," he said. "I could barely afford to send the cats over in the first place and I don't think I should have to pay any more ... I think I should be reimbursed the cost of his flight."

An airline spokeswoman said the pets were delivered to Air New Zealand cargo in cages by the pet transport company Dr Clark enlisted.

The cat managed to escape from the company-supplied cage and while the other cat was still in the cage, it could not travel because the documents no longer matched the contents of the cage.

She said Air New Zealand cargo staff had put up posters around the airport, set cat traps, run checks with the SPCA and carried out regular searches of the tarmac and airport.

"Air New Zealand has been in close dialogue with the pet's owner, Aviation Security and the airport company and our staff will continue to look.

"We hope to be able to reunite them soon in Canada."

Dr Clark asked members of the public visiting or near to the airport to keep an eye out and contact the SPCA if they saw a grey cat with a white spot on his chest. He had no microchip or collar but was neutered and "a bit skittish".

from http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/sto ... d=10527952

So if you happen to be travelling thou Auckland Airport be on the look out for a skittish cat....

Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Neurolanis »

Jeez, goes without saying that the airport should have done what they could to help.

Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Dark Knight »

Dark Knight wrote:So if you happen to be travelling thou Auckland Airport be on the look out for a skittish cat....
Actually it has been what 8 days now... the cat might not even be at the arport

so if your in South Auckland or South-West Auckland area be on the look out...Also.. :cat:

Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Dark Knight »

In a spin over cartwheel ban
4:00AM Wednesday August 27, 2008

A north Queensland school principal is under pressure to do a backflip and reverse a ban on students doing cartwheels and handstands in the playground.

Belgian Gardens State School in Townsville has banned all gymnastics activities during breaks, claiming it is protecting students from injury.

Education Minister Rod Welford yesterday called for a review of the principal's decision.

Mother Kylie Buschgens told the Townsville Bulletin she was dumbfounded when her daughter Cali, 10, was told she could no longer do cartwheels, even on the grass.

When her daughter first said she was in trouble for doing cartwheels, Buschgens presumed the moves were being done on concrete.

But she said the school had made an announcement that the activity was banned.

A spokeswoman for Education Minister Rod Welford said the principal was "reviewing the decision and the minister supports that".

- AAP

from http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/2/sto ... d=10529186

No wonder kids don't get enough exercise these days....

Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Ariel »

oh my God, I just read about the gnome! :lol: So funny!