speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Oh those Commercial ads!

Want to discuss something else? Anything goes here!

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Oh those Commercial ads!

Postby Bmat » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:03 pm

We have had this kind of thread in the past, but since I've been convalescing I've watched more tv than usual and have noticed the ads. So I thought we could praise or trash the ads on tv, radio, newpapers and magazines, and in the mail and email.

I can hardly bear to watch those ads for donating to help the abused and abandoned animals. They are so sad. I love to watch the dog shows, but the last one I watched had these tearjerking ads every few minutes about the dogs that were formerly loved and in good homes and now they were stuck in the pound and looking bewildered and sad. There has been one ad come out since that shows one of the formerly sad dogs having been adopted, and that is very nice. But it doesn't help with the sadness about the other animals.

I hate that ad about the mother and daughter sitting at the breakfast table staring at their breakfasts- cereal and fruit- so the girl makes swooshing noises and they get whipped topping on their food. What a stupid ad.

Any ad with the Burger King guy is creepy.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby Boikat » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:22 pm

The one where a guy wakes up and finds the Burger King guy in bed with him, and the king is holding a breakfast sandwich is really creepy.

Another annoying ad: Any ad that starts out with "Hi! Billy Mays here, with ...

...the new and improved Kitchen Rag! Throw away your old Kitchen Rag, and get our New and improved Kitchen Rag...

.. the new and improved picture hanger! Are you one of those incompetent buffoons that does not know how to use a hammer and nail? Buy our new "Hercules Hooks"! Just poke it into the wall, and you can hand danged near anything...

... the amazing fix anything and everything magical fix-it epoxy putty! Blew a hole in your crank-case, no problem! Leaky pipe? Piece of cake, mix and mold (and let set for 6-8 hours) and instantly, it's fixed!

All of which are available at Wal-Mart, or bargain stores.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!" Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Boikat
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby who me » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:55 am

pim runs in
howdy folks! who wants a bottle of Dr. Quacks tonic?
it's good for cleaning kitchen counters! with new and improved rag!
but not only that no sir ree...you can hang pictures with it apply just a drop to the picture frame and hold it against the wall. no more hitting your finger with a hammer!
but that is not all!
Dr.Quacks tonic can fix anything just apply to the broken spot and its fixed.
Dr. Quacks tonic is also a medicine good against most common ills cures stupidity and ugliness over night...

commercials are stupid.
I never believe anything a commercial says.
pim waves her copy of "no logo"
free the source! free Tibet!
who me
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby Qray » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:24 am

"...he can't be a man 'cause he doesn't smoke the same cigarettes as me..."
- Rolling Stones.

pim, go read William Gibson's "Pattern Recognition."

I tend to remember the funny commericals more. Norwegian company Hydro has some funny commericals about future engineers.

With a train.

With a car.

One of the things that annoys me is how the sound level of both TV and Radio commercials are louder than the regular programs. Advertisers think doing that helps their commercial get noticed. It just makes me turn down the volume or turn it off altogether.
I'm going to die the way I've lived...poor, screaming, and naked.
Qray

Blog: View Blog (49)

Postby aldan » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:42 pm

To me, it's a signal to change the channel for a bit...
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and to appear stupid than
to open it and remove all doubt."
---Mark Twain
aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby who me » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:47 pm

i mute the volume and keep fooling around in the net.
who me
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby Bmat » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:04 pm

When the volume goes up I mute the sound, so the ad doesn't even get to tell me what it is selling.

I hate those pepto bismol ads where the people go on about diarhea and hold their bottoms.

I love the Caveman ads- too bad the tv series didn't work out. I kept forgetting it was on, but the few times I saw it, I wasn't impressed with the writing. It was as if they didn't have an SF writer on the staff who would have been more creative.

I also like the gecko ads.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby Boikat » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:11 pm

I like some of the post Caveman series ads where they seem to be poking fun at the series flop.

"Well, at least they didn't sa, 'so easy....'."

"There is that.."
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!" Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Boikat
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Dark Knight » Fri May 16, 2008 5:14 pm

This from NZ:

Believe your ears, the ads are louder

Consumer advocates are calling for tougher limits on the noise of television advertisements after tests showed they are up to 50 per cent louder than the programmes they follow.

Testing commissioned by the Weekend Herald of 23 commercials showed primetime ads on TV3 were 50 per cent louder than programmes and TV One ads 20 per cent louder.

Harvey Norman and Placemakers ads and TV3 network ads such as for America's Top Model were among those singled out as especially loud.

The testing by the University of Auckland acoustic research centre showed the biggest difference to the human ear was the range between quiet and loud - ads had a much smaller sound range, giving the viewer fewer rests.

TV3 advertisements contrasted the most sharply, squashing the sound of ads into less than half the sound range of programmes.

The sound of TV One ads was squashed into about three-fifths the range of programmes.

The difference in range is deliberate, with advertising agencies using a technique called compression to make a "punchier sound".

While television networks test the maximum sound levels of ads and programmes to make sure they stay within peak limits, they do not test for compression as the acoustic research centre did for the Weekend Herald.

Unlike Australia and Britain, New Zealand does not have a regulatory body responsible for overseeing ad sound levels or a code that limits ads to the same noise levels as programmes.

Australian viewers can go to their advertising authority if their complaints are not dealt with adequately by the television network.

The UK will bring in a ban on "excessively noisy and strident" ads in July. To get around the problem of compressed sound, the UK code will test maximum loudness based on how the ad sounds to the human ear.

Green MP Sue Kedgley said the Weekend Herald testing showed New Zealand needed noise standards.

Consumer New Zealand chief executive Sue Chetwin agreed, saying: "People regularly complain about loud ads. Even though there are all these technical arguments about sound compression, the fact is [ads] are louder. "What people know is what they hear. They're not going to understand technical arguments about sound waves."

TV3 spokesman Roger Beaumont said it broadcast the ads as supplied, adding that loud and exciting shows would have loud and exciting ads.

TVNZ spokeswoman Megan Richards said the broadcaster had a policy of trying to match sound between ads and programmes - but said it was difficult to test sound compression with the network's current equipment.

Rick Osborne, chief executive of the Communication Agencies Association, the advertising industry's body, said UK-style guidelines were not warranted at this stage, and any future decision on their introduction should be left up to the Advertising Standards Authority.

TESTING RESULTS

TV ONE: TEN YEARS YOUNGER IN TEN DAYS
Volume - Ads played on average 20 per cent louder than the programme.
Range - Programme loudness ranged over a factor of 1:4.77.
Ad loudness ranged over a factor of 1:2.95.

TV3: CAMPBELL LIVE
Volume - Ads played on average 50 per cent louder than the programme.
Range - Programme loudness ranged over a factor of 1:4.42.
Ad loudness ranged over a factor of 1:1.72.

The range is the "loudness difference" between the background sound level and the maximum loudness of a track. The smaller the range, the louder a track will sound.

from http://www.nzherald.co.nz/topic/story.c ... d=10510704

I usually mute Harvey Norman ads they are louder than any other ads.

Rick Osborne is clearly wrong, but he is like all the others, sits around and does nothing. Comes up with some feeble reason, not to do what needs to be done.
Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (7)

Postby waytanblee » Sat May 17, 2008 1:17 am

I hate those Danoz Direct and Guthy and Renker style adverts. All those smiling faces and plastic noses really get to me. Who on earth needs a 30 minute advert to decide if they really need that ab king pro or that new and improved kitchen knife set?

I cant remember how many times I've woken up from a nightmare to find that Danoz Direct has taken over my TV and has been brainwashing me all night with those horrible slogans and repetitive pitches!!!!
waytanblee
Site Regular
Site Regular

Blog: View Blog (5)

Postby Dark Knight » Sat May 17, 2008 7:15 pm

In NZ we now have a lot of ads telling us how to live, they have increased over the years:

Don't smoke,
Don't drink and drive,
Don't drink to excess,
slow down,
be nice to people with disabilities,
Eat fruit and vegetables,
Spent time with your kids,
Get of the couch
Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (7)

Postby The Master » Sat May 17, 2008 9:38 pm

I knew about the loudness thing. Years ago I saw a report showing little kids (like 5 or 6) playing in one of those observation playrooms they use to study kids. They are happily playing away ignoring the TV that's on the background. When the commercials come on you see several kids instantly turn to look toward the louder noise. Definitely a method to the madness.

Oddly enough one of my pet peeve commercials uses an opposite tact. They have no sound at all. I've looked at it several times thinking that the cable when out or something since TV is never silent.
The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (2)
Art: View My Art Gallery

Next

Return to Off Topic Conversations