How Do I Use Domain that I Own?

Want to discuss something else? Anything goes here!

Moderator: Bmat

Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

How Do I Use Domain that I Own?

Post by Neurolanis »

Okay, here is a question for cyber-smart people. I purchased a domain/address (www.) like a year ago that I still own, technically, for another year. I bought it when I joined Startlogic (hosting site.) But I closed my account with them.

So here is this domain that I'd love to use and I don't know how to get access to it. Any ideas?

The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by The Master »

Do you know who the registrar is? The registrar is the company you pay for obtaining the name for you. For example, I register my domains through godaddy.com because they are inexpensive without sacrificing full service domain hosting. The registrar's job is to maintain ownership records of the domain, and to give the owner the ability to control what happens when you enter that domain in a browser.

Your web host is not dependent on your registrar. Instead you enter "nameserver" information into your registrar so that when someone asks for your domain the registrar forwards that request to your web host who in turn forwards it to the space on their server where your site is. Thus, if I want to move Speculative Vision to a new host I log in to my godaddy account and enter the new hosts name servers. In a few days that information propagates through the internet router system and my new host starts serving my site's pages.

If your prior host obtained the domain for you and you aren't sure who the registrar is go to godaddy's site and search your domain name (box at the very top of the page). It should say the domain is already taken and give you a link for more information about it. This will launch a who is search that will tell you the public information about ownership. The important fields are "Registered through" which tells you who the registrar is and the "Administrative Contact" who is the legal owner of the domain name (this should be you, and it should show current contact information in particular a valid email address that you have access to). You can contact that registrar for help in getting access to your account.

Once you get a host they and/or your registrar should have plenty of helpful information on how to update your name servers. Even if you don't get hosting right away you should definitely be sure you know where your domain is registered and that you have full control over it.

Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Neurolanis »

Thanks for all your help and suggestions, much appreciated.

The registar is "TUCOWS INC". It has a page for "help" on getting info on your domain, but after you select that option it says "please contact your service provider." There is an option where you can sign in to "manage" your domain, but I can't seem to remember the correct name and/or password that I used. Seeing that I deleted everything about Startlogic in my disgust about a year ago, I don't believe I have that information now. So, I may try some more possible name/password combos later, and if that doesn't work I may have to wait a year until the domain becomes available again..

The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by The Master »

It sounds like your prior host registered the name for you. Tucows is a large registrar that allows third parties to register via their service, sort of like licensing.

One trick you can use to gain access is to simply transfer the domain to a new registrar.

Go to http://godaddy.com and on the left side there is the "domains" drop down menu. Select "Transfer domains to GoDaddy" and follow the pages. Basically what you do is pay for 1 year of domain hosting (its like 8 bucks or something...really cheap) with GoDaddy and they move your domain to their servers. Once its there you will have total control over it again.

The key here is that you MUST be listed as the administrative contact for the domain name. They will send emails to the admin contact that you must respond to in order to authorize the transfer. This is a safety measure to ensure that the owner of the domain is the one making the request (i.e. so someone can't steal your domain name). If your name/email isn't the admin of record its a huge problem because technically you don't own it even if you where the one that paid for it.

I would advise not waiting for it to expire. What often happens is some opportunist profiteer grabs up recently expired domains because it is so cheap to get them. Then when you try to get it back they hold it hostage until you pay them significantly more than it would have cost you to register it yourself. Its far better to get and keep control over it. I even put renewal dates in my Outlook calendar so I can't forget to pay the bill.

Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Neurolanis »

Thanks for your help. It would be highly unlikely that the email I used isn't one of the ones I am currently using, so I believe I will go that route.

I am a little confused however with one of the options:

2. Select Your Transfer Nameservers:

-Keep the existing nameservers on my transferring domain names as currently set at my domain registrar.

-Change my transferring domain names to GoDaddy.com park nameservers.

What does this mean? I don't want to mess myself up..

The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by The Master »

The first option is for when you already have an active website at a host.

You want the second option: Change my transferring domain names to GoDaddy.com park nameservers.

This will remove all connection to the prior host and your domain will return a "coming soon" page from Godaddy.com. Once you have a new host they will tell you what you need to change the nameservers to.

Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Neurolanis »

Sigh, went through all the stages, and just on the last page where you can press the 'finish' button to make the literal transfer of my domain, it asks for the Authenitication code for the 'current registar.' This doesn't make any sense. I received a notice in the email account which I had supplied to Startlogic, and filled in the forms with the codes they just gave me, but it sounds like that isn't enough. Grrr. Knew it couldn't be that simple. :lol:

Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Neurolanis »

Man ... complications...

Multi-multi-multi-step procedures to reach complications, attempt to work through them, and begin again. Gotta love computers and software...

I called Starlogic and got them to send me my authentication code through email, which I received. I could hardly believe that I was finally going to finish this whole thing, when I get this email reply to my attempt to submit the final piece of data asked for (and given):

Dear __,

You recently purchased a domain registrar transfer for: _____

However, the current status of the above domain name(s) is:
clientUpdateProhibited, clientTransferProhibited

Domain names in this status cannot be transferred. Please
contact your current registrar to resolve this issue.

Once the status has been corrected, follow the steps below to
retry the transfer.

Man oh man ... oh man... :roll:

Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Neurolanis »

As a partial update, I called Startlogic a second time and was given the site address for Tucows inc. I have contacted them, asking for the domain to be released. The man I spoke to at Startlogic customer service seemed to believe they would. But could anything be so simple for me?

The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by The Master »

As long as you are the admin contact they will release it. Honestly, they locked it as much to protect you as anything else. I'm sure that Tucows will be happy to help you out :)

Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Neurolanis »

This is really funny, nothing is ever simple for me. :lol:

They told me they did release it, and I now have -- I am 100 per cent certain -- all the passwords, ID numbers and transaction codes that I'd ever need regarding my domain and the sites involved -- but now I'm being told that it can't transfer on some technicality that after a transfer has been made it can't be transferred again for another 60 days. It has not been successfully transferred yet, so this is some sort of glitch. I'll have to call Tucows sometime, yet again, and ask for this technicality to be removed.

Oh this crazy world of software.. :roll: :lol:

But I do appreciate the help though. It'll be worth it once all these technical frustations are over..

The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by The Master »

I believe there are indeed some restrictions on time between transfers. That said, if they were the registrar of record prior to your request, and they are still the registrar of record now, what "transfer" do they contend took place? The only thing I can think of is that perhaps because of how the other company registered it you weren't technically the owner until just now, so they consider it a change of ownership.

Calmly and politely repeat after me "can I please speak to your supervisor?". ;)