2008 Summer Olympics

Want to discuss something else? Anything goes here!

Moderator: Bmat

Qray

2008 Summer Olympics

Post by Qray »

Morning campers. It's 8-8-08. And that means only one thing.

You're late with your mortgage payment?

Ok, it means two things.

But mainly, it's the opening day of the 2008 Summer Olympics.

So what is your opinion of the games? Is there a real concern about air quality? What is everyone waiting to see? Will you be watching it live online, or wait for the taped broadcast on tv?

Myself, I'm all about the BMX, Beach Volleyball, Fencing, Soccer, and a few tracks events. Ok...mostly the BMX.
I'm going to die the way I've lived...poor, screaming, and naked.

fanuilh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by fanuilh »

Not watching. Don't care. Stopped caring years ago.

And I'm especially not interested in giving Beijing any sort of audience. Not that it'll matter.

I used to watch the equestrian events, they were my favorite, but I won't be doing that, either.
"Never look at the trombones, it only enourages them." -- Richard Strauss

Qray

Post by Qray »

But...but...fan...BMX!

Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Neurolanis »

I'm hoping all will be well, but I'm expecting something violent to occur internationally due to political differences. I think more shows of Human rights will be staged in China due to the suppression of religious freedoms, and I think certain Chinese authorities will respond, and global pressure will attempt to force/shame the Chinese government into hearing them out, and not treating them with violent retaliation. At the very least I suspect global political tensions will be high.

I hope something positive comes from it and China does begin to change its views on Human freedoms (but I doubt this will happen easily if at all.)

As for the games, people who enjoy them can. But I won't be among them, just don't care much for sports and other highly competitive competitions, myself. But it's always kinda nice to hear your country has won some medals. But I enjoy watching some of the Winter Games more, myself.

Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Re: 2008 Summer Olympics

Post by Dark Knight »

Is there a real concern about air quality?

I hear that it is all fog now, yea right of course it is pollution.

What is everyone waiting to see?

I am waiting to see when it is over, one channel will change from usual programing to near all out Olympics channel. I will not be watching.

Will you be watching it live online, or wait for the taped broadcast on tv?

can't watch anything live on line, oh and I will not be watching on TV ether

So what is your opinion of the games?

Got a time machine, so I can go to the future when it is all over?

Not in to sport, I use to be, but not anymore, however I would like it if NZ won a few gold medals, I think we usually do.

Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Dark Knight »

Qray wrote:Morning campers. It's 8-8-08. And that means only one thing.
It's not really 8-8-08?

Well if we go by the real date of Christ's birth, which was about 6BC.....

Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Dark Knight »

Qray wrote:But...but...fan...BMX!
you know some would argue, that BMX should not really be a Olympic sport.

But I don't really care about the Olympics, so I will not argue.

Qray

Post by Qray »

Dark Knight wrote:So what is your opinion of the games?

[Q whacks DK in the back of the head with a flounder. Knocking him unconscious.] Granted! Someone wake him up at the end of the month.

Wrong topic, Q.

Oh. Er...well...enjoy the nap anyways.

Yup, I saw some live broadcasts of Bejing today. It didn't look like fog to me either. Hopefully the U.S. has a lot of athletes from southern California competing. They should be used to the smog. :mrgreen:

aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by aldan »

Used to smog??? I'm sorry, but it may be a touch easier for the lung-damaged SoCal-ians to handle it, but they're still lung-damaged, so they likely wouldn't be there anyway, unless they were competing in things like, oh, waterpolo (well, not much of the nation plays it, so...), fencing and other things that don't require lung power as much. Oh, and while I'm currently in Ohio, I am from the Los Angeles area, so I know of which I speak.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and to appear stupid than
to open it and remove all doubt."
---Mark Twain

Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Dark Knight »

Qray wrote:
Dark Knight wrote:So what is your opinion of the games?

[Q whacks DK in the back of the head with a flounder. Knocking him unconscious.] Granted! Someone wake him up at the end of the month.

Wrong topic, Q.

Oh. Er...well...enjoy the nap anyways.
Someone whacked me on the back of the head

Looks around, a flounder?

fanuilh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by fanuilh »

This is one reason I gave up watching the Olympics years ago.

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite? ... 2FShowFull

Politics has sidetracked, perhaps wrecked, the goal this swimmer has spent years working towards. I don't know how any of you would feel after spending years (and years) working towards an Olympic goal only to be told by your government that you weren't going to get to compete, but it would be enough to get me to consider physical violence against the commissar attached to the team. Or defection.

If only the Olympics were just about the sports. But they aren't, and haven't been for decades. So, feh.
"Never look at the trombones, it only enourages them." -- Richard Strauss

Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Dark Knight »

China opts for lip-synching in quest for perfect Olympic image

A 7-year-old Chinese girl was not good-looking enough for the Olympics opening ceremony, so another little girl with a pixie smile lip-synched Ode to the Motherland a ceremony official said - the latest example of the lengths Beijing took for a perfect start to the Summer Games.

A member of China's Politburo asked for the last-minute change to match one girl's face with another's voice, the ceremony's chief music director, Chen Qigang, said in an interview with Beijing Radio.

"The audience will understand that it's in the national interest," Chen said in a video of the interview posted online.

The news follows reports that some footage of the fireworks exploding across China's capital during the ceremony was digitally inserted into television coverage, apparently over concerns that not all of the 29 blasts could be captured on camera.

China has been eager to present a flawless Olympics image to the world, shooing migrant workers and so-called petitioners who come to the central government with grievances from the city and shutting down any sign of protest.

The country's quest for perfection apparently includes its children.

Lin Miaoke's performance Friday night, like the ceremony itself, was an immediate hit. "Nine-year-old Lin Miaoke becomes instant star with patriotic song," the China Daily newspaper headline said Tuesday.

But the real voice behind the tiny, pigtailed girl in the red dress who wowed 91,000 spectators at the National Stadium on opening night really belonged to 7-year-old Yang Peiyi. Her looks apparently failed the cuteness test with officials organizing the ceremony, but Chen said her voice was judged the most beautiful.

"The national interest requires that the girl should have good looks and a good grasp of the song and look good on screen," Chen said. "Lin Miaoke was the best in this. And Yang Peiyi's voice was the most outstanding."

During a live rehearsal soon before the ceremony, the Politburo member said Miaoke's voice "must change," Chen said in the radio interview. He didn't name the official.

So Peiyi's voice was matched with Miaoke's face.

"We had to make that choice. It was fair both for Lin Miaoke and Yang Peiyi," Chen told Beijing Radio. "We combined the perfect voice and the perfect performance."

Chen, in a brief AP interview last night, said he spoke about the switch with Beijing Radio "to come out with the truth".

"The little girl is a magnificent singer," Chen said. "She doesn't deserve to be hidden."

He said the ceremony's director - film director Zhang Yimou - knew of the change. He declined to speak further about it.

A photo of Peiyi posted Tuesday on popular website Sina.com shows a smiling girl with bangs and crooked teeth. A China News Service story posted with the photo says a China Central Television reporter asked Peiyi whether she felt regret over the opening ceremony.

Peiyi responded that just having her voice used for the opening ceremony was an honor.

Whether the move was unethical, or unfair to both girls, has become a hot topic among Chinese and is racing across the country's blogosphere.

"The organisers really messed up on this one," said Luo Shaoyang, 34, a retail worker in Beijing.

"This is like a voice-over for a cartoon character," Luo said. "Why couldn't they pick a kid who is both cute and a good singer? This damages the reputation of both kids for their future, especially the one lip-synching. Now everyone knows she's a fraud. Who cares if she's cute?"

Zhang Xinyi, 22, who works in marketing in Beijing, disagreed.

"I can understand why they picked the prettier girl. They need to maintain a certain aesthetic beauty during the opening ceremonies. This situation is not so bad, especially since it gives two people an opportunity to shine rather than just one."

Peiyi is a first-grader at the Primary School affiliated to Peking University. Her tutor, Wang Liping, wrote in her blog that Peiyi is both cute and well-behaved, with a love for Peking opera.

"She doesn't like to show off. She's easygoing," Wang wrote. She and other school officials couldn't be reached Tuesday.

Miaoke, however, was a minor celebrity even before the opening ceremony. The third-grader appeared in a television ad last year with China's biggest gold medal hope, hurdling champion Liu Xiang, and she was in an Olympics ad just before Chinese New Year, China Daily reported.

Miaoke has her own blog, and one of the latest photos posted since the ceremony shows her looking up nervously at the ceremony's director, film director Zhang Yimou. "Giving the child encouragement," the caption says.

Her father, Lin H u i , told China Daily he learned Miaoke would be "singing" only 15 minutes before the opening ceremony began. The newspaper wrote Lin "still cannot believe his daughter has become an international singing sensation."

It was the second straight Olympics where the opening ceremony involved lip-synching.

Luciano Pavarotti's performance at the 2006 Winter Games in Turin was prerecorded. The maestro who conducted the aria, Leone Magiera, said earlier this year that the bitter cold made a live performance impossible for Pavarotti, who was in severe pain months before his cancer diagnosis. Pavarotti died in September 2007 at age 71.

from http://www.nzherald.co.nz/event/story.c ... 741&pnum=2

It *beep* the name "H u i" strange I didn't know it was offense, I had to seperate the letters....