speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Amazon Kindle

Want to discuss something else? Anything goes here!

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Amazon Kindle

Postby samaulle_esun » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:21 pm

I am getting an Amazon Kindle for my birthday soon. They're about $200 Australian, and they now come in a new and improved incarnation. You can download books from anywhere you want, you can store up to 2000 books, and the battery power lasts for three weeks. You can even read in direct sunlight!

Has anyone else got one? I need one because ebooks.com, even though it was brain-childed by a man in Perth, not three hours away from where I live, the copyrights don't include Australia as a country that can buy ebooks from that site. So, no ebooks can be bought in australia at all pretty much, besides the odd one from book store websites.

Kindle doesn't have everything, but it should be an energy friendly, space friendly, cost effective method of chewing down that momentous amount of books that I get through! I look forward to it :D
Your friendly resident schizophrenic
samaulle_esun
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Re: Amazon Kindle

Postby Bmat » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:55 pm

I don't have one, but a friend does. She got it because it is compact when she travels, and because she can change the text size to be more comfortable for her to read.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby samaulle_esun » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:34 pm

Yeah, I've been wondering whether to get the large screen one, or the small. There is quite a deviation with both size and price, but I think I'll get the small one because I just love small things, lol. It's like a habit.
samaulle_esun
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby The Master » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:39 am

I'd like one (or some reader, not necessarily a Kindle) just for the convenience of it and with the recent big drops in price I'm more tempted. I have to admit though that I have a special affection for a real book. There's something personal about a book in my hand. I've always said that if I ever won that lottery I'd build a house with a huge library in it...ok, yes, I'm a total geek :P
The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (2)
Art: View My Art Gallery

Postby samaulle_esun » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:56 am

Oh, I'd LOVE THAT! A huge library? A man after my own heart, lol. Maybe you should write a book, Master. That'd get you some cash :D

I have a whole host of books myself, not an absurd amount by any means, but too many for my book case. I have some in the shed, some in my wardrobe and some on my shelf, and I'm constantly selling them off. It's sad to see them go, but I generally keep the good ones. I've been getting into non-fiction too. I got Hero With A Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell, and three books by Tony Bushby about the origins of the church and a few about synchronicity and schizophrenia. The last few books I've bought have been about vampires though, just scoping out all those vampire series, and I have to say that they would be the first to go if I have another clean out..
samaulle_esun
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby fanuilh » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:38 am

A friend of mine bought one, had it delivered to the office (we work together) and we played with it a bit. It seems very cool -- she bought the basic model for $139 U. S. and it will hold 3,500 books and once it's completely charged as long as you don't keep the wireless on the charge will last for a month. Or so Amazon.com says. I'm waiting until she's had hers for awhile and can give an assessment of how it's working out for her. I'd really like one, but only if I'm actually going to use it. Can't afford to be throwing money away on something I'm not going to use.
"Never look at the trombones, it only enourages them." -- Richard Strauss
fanuilh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby samaulle_esun » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:08 pm

You guys in America have the freedom of getting a normal ebook reader because you can use Ebooks.com, and I guess it comes down to which site has the most books. And with the other ebook readers you can download pirated books and have them on your reader, except I wouldn't do that anymore anyway as I don't pirate anymore. It's like a thing. Cleaner living helps out my condition, and it's the cleaner greener way of doing things. It's no fun for an artist if they just get hacked all the time.
samaulle_esun
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby Ariel » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:31 pm

The Master wrote:I'd like one (or some reader, not necessarily a Kindle) just for the convenience of it and with the recent big drops in price I'm more tempted. I have to admit though that I have a special affection for a real book. There's something personal about a book in my hand. I've always said that if I ever won that lottery I'd build a house with a huge library in it...ok, yes, I'm a total geek :P

Me too Master!!!!! I prefer a real book and always dreamed of having a huge library.
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Asp Zelazny » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:27 am

I've been tempted to consider a Kindle, especially for textbooks and other technical reading (though I suspect that we aren't there yet in the necessary marketing moves), but as has been expressed above, there is something special about the "substance" of an actual book. There is still something special about the smell, the heft, and promise that a thick book with an interesting cover creates, all aside from the information within. I can sit here and look at one of my bookcases, and just by looking at the spines of books I've finished, relive a little of the pleasure (or irritation, or mind-game, or philosophical diversion) that that book provided me. Don't see that coming from a Kindle.

Now, here's an app that might help solve part of that problem though: perhaps there could be a docking mechanism in one of the upcoming versions that would allow you to catalogue and project an image on the wall of the 'virtual spines' of the titles that you've purchased. It still wouldn't be like the Real Thing, but at least (if you're into it) that would allow you bragging rights ... all your friends could be impressed by your eruditon. Or your bad taste, depending, I guess ...
Asp Zelazny
True Visionary
True Visionary

Return to Off Topic Conversations