Creation

Want to discuss something else? Anything goes here!

Moderator: Bmat

Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Dark Knight »

Instant Diamonds? 05/07/2007

Talk about catastrophism: imagine a geological process creating a dyke 150 miles deep in an hour. This is a new model for how diatremes formed, as described in Nature last week.1 The surprise end of the abstract by Lionel Wilson and James W. Head III states, “No precursor to the eruption is felt at the surface and the processes are complete in about an hour.”
Diatremes are deep, funnel-shaped dykes made of kimberlite rock. They extend down 200 to 250 meters into the earth and are famous as sources of diamonds. The origin of diatremes has long been a puzzle. Diverse and unusual, they have seemingly contradictory characteristics:

Relative to normal magmatic eruptions, the most unusual of these characteristics raise the questions of how is it possible to: (1) transport diamonds from the mantle (where they are stable) to the surface (where they are metastable) fast enough to avoid significant alteration over the intervening range of depths at which they are unstable; (2) transport significant quantities of mantle xenoliths to near-surface levels; (3) produce intrusive pyroclastic kimberlitic material at depths where pressures would normally preclude magma fragmentation by volatile expansion, and then separate most of the volatiles from the pyroclastic materials; (4) generate extensive fracturing and brecciation of host rocks in many parts of the system, with minimal contact metamorphic effects; and (5) produce complex shallow structures (diatremes and root zones) in which an unusual widening of the conduit system occurs, sometimes with extensions that do not connect to the surface, and where complex mixtures of fragmented material and coherent dyke segments are present.

In light of the difficulties previous models have had, the authors propose a catastrophic eruption: “We propose that essentially all of the rise of kimberlitic magma to the surface takes place via rapid propagation of a dyke from unusually great depths (Fig. 2) rather than the much slower propagation of a diapir to shallower depths before transitioning to a dyke,” they explained. “This very deep dyke initiation and propagation minimizes thermodynamic problems associated with transporting diamonds from mantle depths to the surface.”
In their model, which describes six stages of the eruption, carbon dioxide creates a sort of magma foam that propagates upward explosively. Here is the brief description:

Dyke initiation in a deep CO2-rich source region in the mantle leads to rapid propagation of the dyke tip, below which CO2 fluid collects, with a zone of magmatic foam beneath. When the tip breaks the surface of the ground, gas release causes a depressurization wave to travel into the magma. This wave implodes the dyke walls, fragments the magma, and creates a ‘ringing’ fluidization wave. Together, these processes form the diatreme. Catastrophic magma chilling seals the dyke.

The walls open up, fill with the kimberlite, and close in rapid succession. How quickly? No millions of years required: “The termination of the eruption immediately after diatreme formation, probably within at most a few tens of minutes of the onset of eruption, is a direct consequence of the extreme cooling of magma during the large pressure reductions that occur on venting to the atmosphere.” Long ages are also not needed to explain the rocks found inside: “The subsequent very rapid pressure and temperature fluctuations lead to the formation of a diverse suite of rock types in the intrusive deposits that characterize these eruptions.”
In cases where water substitutes for carbon dioxide, the process could be more protracted, they said, similar to “traditional basaltic pyroclastic eruptions.” Those may take a few more hours.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1Lionel Wilson and James W. Head III, “An integrated model of kimberlite ascent and eruption,” Nature 447, 53-57 (3 May 2007) | doi:10.1038/nature05692.

If this model is correct, who needs millions of years? Of all the catastrophic geological processes described in the literature, this one seems among the fastest. Imagine a funnel-shaped crater filled with rocks and minerals forming in less than an hour. Surely any uniformitarian-trained geologist would look at the deposits and deduce that they took millions of years of slow, gradual processes to form.
It is clear from this example that the presumption of long ages is a mindset drilled into geologists’ heads, not a requirement of the evidence. This would be a good subject for a Biblical geologist to investigate in more detail. See also last year’s surprise announcement that rich gold deposits could form in a human lifetime (10/15/2006).
Better hope you are not in the wrong spot when one of these eruptions is about to blow. Come by shortly afterwards, though; you might just find acres of diamonds. How’s that for fast delivery? From mantle to surface, your diamond delivered in just one hour. Lucy, meanwhile, is somewhere in the sky without any. She is mourning her demotion as a human ancestor (04/10/2007). The party at Charlie & Charlie’s really rocked for awhile. Now that morning has come, she realizes her fling didn’t result in any lasting commitments.
From http://www.creationsafaris.com/crev200705.htm

I don't need millions of years... that's for sure....

Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Dark Knight »

Darwinists Combat Creation Displays in Advance 05/23/2007

Even before opening day, pro-evolution groups are launching pre-emptive strikes against a new $27 million creation museum in Kentucky. Fox News reported that Eugenie Scott’s National Center for Science Education has sent a petition to 600 scientists in the region to oppose the new museum. Also, the Campaign to Defend the Constitution is calling the new museum a “campaign by the religious right to inject creationist teachings into science education.”
Ken Ham, president of the museum’s builder Answers in Genesis, counters that the “vast majority of natural history museums and textbooks available to students are devoted to teaching evolution” so it seems odd that they would be worried about one museum with a different message. Opening day is May 28. The museum does not inject itself into schools. Visitors have to come to the museum and pay an admission fee. For the museum’s response to the NCSE, visit the AIG website.
The Calgary Herald reported about another creation museum opening in Alberta on June 5: the Big Valley Creation Science Museum. “As expected, the museum has its detractors,” the article states. Critics quoted in this article were a little less dogmatic, in that they defended the right of people to weigh evidence and make up their own minds, but one biology professor called it a “propaganda approach” and another said that refuting evolution entirely was “a little head in the sand.”

Watch for fireworks in the media when the Creation Museum opens. Evolutionists can have their lying feathered dinosaur displays and their lying early-man displays, paid for with tax dollars to the tune of tens of millions, but let a little alternative science be displayed and the Darwin Attack Dogs come barking and snarling to scare people from entering. The contest in the media should be interesting to watch. How many reporters will dredge up tired old talking points and play the warfare-of-science-and-religion card? How many will acknowledge the freedom and basic intelligence of people to weigh evidence and make up their own minds? Anticipate some juicy Stupid Evolution Quotes of the Week.
AIG response http://www.answersingenesis.org/article ... re-tactics

AIG website: http://www.answersingenesis.org

Interesting....There is another Museum in North
Santee, CA

Institute for Creation Research
Museum and Research Center
10946 Woodside Ave. North
Santee, CA 92071 http://www.icr.org/discover/index/discover_museum/

ICR website...

http://www.icr.org/

All these Museum are run by different creation groups...

There is also at least one in Europe somewhere...

Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Dark Knight »

NZ museum will look at both views
Coromandel dinosaurs will show God's in his Heaven

5:00AM Saturday June 02, 2007
By Simon Collins

A Trust which teaches schoolchildren about evolutionary and creationist views of the universe wants to build a $30 million dinosaur park and museum, probably on the Coromandel Peninsula.

The Dinosaurs Aotearoa Museum Trust is working with Wellington's Weta Workshop, which created characters for Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy, to create life-sized dinosaurs in a 40ha theme park.

Founders Darren and Jackie Bush run a Wellington business called Dinosaurs Rock which runs programmes about dinosaurs and geology for schools, giving children both the scientific theory of evolution and the biblical view that the world was created by God in seven days about 6000 years ago.

A similar US$27 million ($36.4 million) museum featuring dinosaurs, but devoted solely to the creationist view of our origins, opened in Kentucky this week.

A New Zealand branch of the organisation that conceived the Kentucky venture, now called Creation Ministries International, insists that geological evidence fits the biblical theory that the Earth was created about 6000 years ago at least as well as it fits the predominant scientific view that the planet dates back about 4.5 billion years.

Mr and Mrs Bush are New Zealanders who spent 20 years in Australia. They would not say yesterday whether they believed in evolution or creationism.

Their trust's objectives are to develop "a world-class educational museum-park" and "a forum/facility where different world interpretations of science are presented without bias in the light of development of scientific knowledge".
from http://www.nzherald.co.nz/topic/story.c ... d=10443259

No opening date or anything yet, well they have to start building first don't they....

Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Dark Knight »

Museum opening attracts many visitors

The opening of the large creation museum built by Answers in Genesis of Kentucky, USA, went ahead on schedule on Monday 28 May. There was strong media interest, which is encouraging as it will arouse interest far and wide in the Creation-Gospel message. According to media reports, by early evening about 3,000 people had visited the museum. An anticipated protest by thousands seemed to have fizzled, with reports referring to ‘dozens’ of protestors, who clearly did not like people being encouraged to believe the Bible’s account of the universe’s history.

AiG-US commenced the museum project at a time when they were still a part of the international group of ministries that included those now part of Creation Ministries International, i.e. Australia, Canada, New Zealand and South Africa. Several CMI staff scientists and others were intimately involved in the early stages of the planning from the point of view of science content, although it has developed significantly since then.

From what we have heard and seen, it is a very impressive achievement, and we trust it will long play an important role in the creation movement.
from http://www.creationontheweb.com/content/view/5120/

AIG website: http://www.answersingenesis.org
Museum website: http://www.creationmuseum.org/

Visiting in Person:

2800 Bullittsburg Church Rd.
Petersburg, KY 41080

Conveniently located in Greater Cincinnati off I-275 (exit 11), just minutes west of the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport.

Llew
True Visionary
True Visionary

Post by Llew »

I've been hearing about it, from skeptics and others. Sounds very interesting.
“I Speak Spanish to God, Italian to Women, French to Men, and German to My Horse” - Charles V, King of Spain and Holy Roman Emperor, 1500–58

LightBrigade
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by LightBrigade »

DK, this feed is long and painstaking work. It would be nice if there were a synopsis made now and then, perhaps a comment on each post so that we, the readers

have an idea of what you who enter these posts think in the matter, in few words.

As it is, it is a wonderful issue to read about as a quotation well established by references. To make a notice board into a communicative tool, you may like to consider making your research in the form of a report - a report is followed by the reporter's comment *s*

In any case, thank you!
When people agree with me, I always feel that I must be wrong. -- Oscar Wilde --

Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Dark Knight »

Yes it is a long feed, some 23 pages....

Painstaking? for who? me?, {Who me :wink: }, or do you mean the reader?

A synopsis? that is an interesting idea, which I will think about...
perhaps a comment on each post so that we, the readers

have an idea of what you who enter these posts think in the matter, in few words.
Another interesting idea, I do note some have the the odd comment... for instance:
Dark Knight wrote:The research team believes? it is a religion? I knew it! :wink:

How about a world-wide flood?

Bigger Trees, bigger animals?

Of course maybe a more detail comment would be better...
As it is, it is a wonderful issue to read about as a quotation well established by references.
Thank you.....
To make a notice board into a communicative tool, you may like to consider making your research in the form of a report - a report is followed by the reporter's comment *s*
Interesting, I will indeed think about this....
In any case, thank you!
It is good to know someone is interested.....

It is good to here from the readers from time to time.....

LightBrigade
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by LightBrigade »

Dark Knight wrote: Painstaking? for who? me?, or do you mean the reader?
Painstaking work for you to do all.

You are welcome.

Many are interested, I am sure. There are gentle and sensitive people everywhere.

Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Dark Knight »

Dinosaurs Died Agonizing Deaths: Asphyxiation?

And the waters prevailed exceedingly upon the earth; and all the high hills, that were under the whole heaven, were covered. Fifteen cubits upward did the waters prevail; and the mountains were covered. And all flesh died that moved upon the earth, both of fowl, and of cattle, and of beast, and of every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth, and every man: All in whose nostrils was the breath of life, of all that was in the dry land, died. Gen 7

asphyxia (ăsfĭk‘sēə) , deficiency of oxygen and excess of carbon dioxide in the blood and body tissues. Asphyxia, often referred to as suffocation, usually results from an interruption of breathing due to mechanical blockage of the breathing passages, paralysis of the respiratory muscles following electric shock, inundation of the lungs as may occur with pneumonia or DROWNING

Drown – to die from Asphyxia due to submersion in a liquid medium

LiveScience Sat. June 9 Fossilized dinosaurs often have wide-open mouths, heads thrown back and tails that curve toward the head. Paleontologists have long assumed the dinosaurs died in water and the currents drifted the bones into that position, or that rigor mortis or drying muscles, tendons and ligaments contorted the limbs.

“I’m “I’m reading this in the literature and thinking, ‘This doesn’t make any sense to me as a veterinarian,’” said Cynthia Marshall Faux, a veterinarian-turned-paleontologist at the Museum of the Rockies

Faux and a colleague say brain damage and asphyxiation are the more likely culprits.

A classic example of the posture, which has puzzled paleontologists for ages, is the 150-million-year-old Archaeopteryx, the first-known example of a feathered dinosaur and the proposed link between dinosaurs and present-day birds.(SIC)

“Virtually all articulated specimens of Archaeopteryx are in this posture, exhibiting a classic pose of head thrown back, jaws open, back and tail reflexed backward and limbs contracted,” said Kevin Padian, professor of integrative biology and curator in the Museum of Paleontology at the University of California, Berkeley. He Faux (pronounced “Fox”) published their findings this week in the journal Paleobiology.

Some animals found in this posture may have suffocated in ash during a volcanic eruption, consistent with the fact that many fossils are found in ash deposits, Faux and Padian said. But many other possibilities exist, including disease, brain trauma, severe bleeding, thiamine deficiency or poisoning.

“This puts a whole new light on the mode of death of these animals, and interpretation of the places they died in,” Padian said. “This explanation gives us clues to interpreting a great many fossil horizons we didn’t understand before and tells us something dinosaurs experienced while dying, not after dying.”

Also, because the posture has been seen only in dinosaurs, pterosaurs and mammals, which are known or suspected to have had high metabolic rates, it appears to be a good indicator that the animal was warm blooded, as other research has suggested. Animals with lower metabolic rates, such as crocodiles and lizards, use less oxygen and so might have been less traumatically affected by hypoxia during death throes, Padian said.

Padian acknowledged that many dinosaur fossils show signs that the animal died in water and the current tugged the body into an arched position, but currents cannot explain all the characteristics of an opisthotonic pose.
from http://s8int.com/WordPress/

DK: First, up, there is no link between dinosaurs and present-day birds...... Archaeopteryx according to AIG is a bird...:

http://www.answersingenesis.org/docs2/4 ... 4-2000.asp

It is interesting the amount of evidence, for a world-wide flood, I can now add this to the list....

Of course not all dinosaurs died in the flood, some would have died before.....and some after....

Yes there would have been dinosaurs on Noah's boat....

In fact it is interesting the evidence that dinosaurs almost survived to the present day.....

BTW: I do not find posting here Painstaking, but I would call it time consuming....

Starfire
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by Starfire »

This does not have anything to with what DK has posted, but lately I have been reading and hearing more and more about quantum physics. I would like to know if any poeple feel that quantum physics proves that we are spiritual beings on a scientific level. Does anyone here have any knowledge of this science? I would love to hear some of your thoughts.

Note to DK Joe Focht covers some of this in his teachings on Genisus. Many of the same points are covered in "The Secret" by Rhonda Byrne.

Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Dark Knight »

It's been a long time since I have seen you post Starfire....I hope you stay long this time....

Thanks for the info....

Quantum physics, sorry out of my league....

Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Dark Knight »

Imaginary Dinosaur Feathers Found – Again! 06/13/2007

Last year, we reported that imaginary feathers had been found on a dinosaur fossil (see 02/08/2006). Now, more imaginary feathers have turned up. This turkey was big, too: the dinosaur plumed in the imaginary feathers stood almost 12 feet tall. Everyone’s talking about it: Fox News, MSNBC News and Science News among others. National Geographic called it “birdlike” and most of the other articles are fluttering with bird references. But again, we’re confused: where are the feathers?
Despite the artist’s conception of the creature abundantly outfitted with colorful arm plumage, all the articles admit that no feathers were found on the bones of this new giant, Gigantoraptor elrianensis. Instead, they say that the creature “likely” had feathers. They are also calling attention to the beak-like mouth and slender legs of the animal as evidence for ancestry to birds. National Geographic said it resembled a mammoth-sized ostrich. News@Nature said that, though it is “thought” to have had feathers, “There are no clear signs as to whether it was feathered.” The claim is based solely on its supposed affinity with “other dinosaurs known to have been feathered” (but cf. 05/23/2007).
There’s a problem with the story, however. This species, comparable in height to T. rex, is 35 times taller and 300 times heavier than Caudipteryx, a fossil that had distinct feather impressions. “That puts the Gigantoraptor’s existence at odds with prevailing theories that dinosaurs became smaller as they evolved into birds and that bigger dinosaurs had less birdlike characteristics,” the AP report stated.
Tracing the ancestry of birds from dinosaurs just got “more complicated than we imagined.” So said Xu Xing, co-author of a paper that announced the find in Nature.1 “It was an unexpected finding,” Xu said, because paleontologists had expected oviraptors to get smaller and more birdlike over time. Mark Norell, curator of the American Museum of Natural History, said “It’s one of the last groups of dinosaurs that we would expect to be that big.”
What did the original paper in Nature say? It argued that Caudipteryx and Protarcheopteryx (two small, “feathered dinosaurs”) are in the family tree of the giant raptor. But the new fossil complicates the picture of bird evolution, they admitted in the final discussion:

Gigantoraptor is an exception to some general patterns seen during the gigantism of non-avian theropods. Contrary to the evolutionary trend of size decrease in coelurosaurian evolution, which plays a key part in the origin of birds, most non-avian coelurosaurian subgroups display a trend of size increase and their large-sized members tend to reverse to more primitive conditions in many bird-like characters. The discovery of Gigantoraptor complicates this pattern, however. Although much larger than its close relatives, Gigantoraptor has proportionally the longest forelimb among oviraptorosaurs, a manus resembling basal eumaniraptorans, bird-like hind limbs, and many other advanced features. These features are close to the conditions in birds but absent in other smaller oviraptorosaurs, indicating an unusual pattern for the Oviraptorosauria among the non-avian coelurosaurian subgroups.

The feathers on Gigantoraptor, meanwhile, remained imaginary. They said the animal “might have at least retained arm feathers or their homologues from its ancestors, if not other types of feathers, given that the primary function of arm feathers is not to insulate the individual and their development is probably not related to size.” But their reference to the two feathered critters was dated 1998. In 2000, Science News listed among its biggest stories of the year the possibility that Caudipteryx was a flightless bird, not a dinosaur.
These problems, however, are no reason not to celebrate the discovery of imaginary feathers. Fox News and MSNBC both published an AP story about an exhibit on feathered dinosaurs beginning to make the rounds of American museums, starting in Miami. “It tells the story of bird evolution,” chirped a believer. Answers in Genesis, however, voiced a raucous squawk on the whole idea. (See also the 10/10/2005, 10/24/2005 and 10/12/2005 critiques that birds evolved from dinosaurs.)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1Xing Xu et al, “A gigantic bird-like dinosaur from the Late Cretaceous of China,” Nature 447, 844-847 (14 June 2007) | doi:10.1038/nature05849.

This is more fodder to store up for the day when the whole Darwinian house of cards collapses. We will need to show students of the future how strong beliefs blinded the eyes of certain scientists and made them imagine a vain thing (see 01/17/2007 commentary).
For a different take on what happened to birds and dinosaurs, consider this other news item. Astrobiology Magazine pondered why so many dinosaur fossils, including all specimens of Archaeopteryx, show the creatures had died with heads tilted backward, apparently gasping in agony. Kevin Padian and Cynthia Fox are not satisfied with the usual explanation that the bones came into this position drifting in water before burial. Padian also noted many of these specimens show evidence of rapid burial because they are exquisitely preserved.
Though Padian and Faux favor the alternative idea that some poison or environmental factor choked the animals, another possibility fits the evidence perfectly well.
from http://www.creationsafaris.com/crev200706.htm

I post the info on the rapid burial evidence earlier....

and this from http://s8int.com/WordPress/
The Art of Science: Giant “Bird Like” Dinosaur Discovered
:[ June 17th, 2007

A recent science article was outlined thusly; “Neanderthals” probably didn’t suffer from schizophrenia and other mental disorders because they probably lacked the cognitive complexities of modern humans”.

Oh? Perhaps they (these authors) missed the results of the sequencing of Neanderthal DNA whose results were announced earlier this year: Neanderthal” DNA is identical to “modern mans” DNA. How do you conclude that humans with the same DNA as ours nevertheless had inferior mental capabilities?

One reason that this myth exists and persists is because of the “scientific” artist representations that accompany scientific articles and discoveries. Below are two artist representations of Neanderthal. The Neanderthal child is obviously more modern but if it had been the illustration used when Neanderthal was first mentioned in the scientific literature, it would have shaped the way we think of Neanderthal.

This week it was announced that Chinese scientists had discovered a huge “bird like” dinosaur. With respect to the skull, there are at least some superficial resemblances to birds. However, the artists have really been allowed to let their imaginations go as far as their representation of the creatures. There is in fact absolutely nothing scientific about the representation of feathers on this dinosaur. One could almost say that the feathers are a whimsical addition. They are apparently meant to prop up the weak “evolutionary” connection between dinosaurs and birds.

Perhaps they missed the results of a study by other scientists revealed in an article enititled “Dinosaur feathers are no such thing” that even that which had been thought to possibly be evidence of feathers on some dinosaurs was more likely dermal collagen.

In this case, in China, there was nothing that anyone could even suspect were feathers and they still had the artist include them. There is nothing to say that a drawing showing the dinosaur with hoop earrings would have been any less accurate.
pictures at http://s8int.com/WordPress/

It is interesting the two pictures of Neanderthal, and how they now look, really like morden humans....

Feathers, with all the mention of feathers you would have thought that they find some..... all these drawings of feathers and no actual feather insight....

they draw these animals to look like birds.....

Just like they use to draw Neanderthals to look like apes...

There are many creatures out there, and there are no doubt many that existed that we don't know about.... maybe this is one of these..... why place in with the smaller ones?