World War Three?

Want to discuss something else? Anything goes here!

Moderator: Bmat

Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

World War Three?

Post by Neurolanis »

Osama bin Laden is the leader of the notorious terrorist organization, al-Qaeda. He was a billionaire at the start of this. Guess what? He's STILL a billionaire. According to wikipedia.org, bin Laden has 53 brothers and sisters, yet he seemed to inherited much of the family business -- a "construction and civil engineering business." OK, so if bin Laden is this Enemy Number One, he's had much support to have remained so well hidden from those searching him out, and also has -- it seems -- his business has not been shut down, whatever bank accounts he has must be protected. The guy must have international clout.

We know he got refuge in Afghanistan after being expelled by Sudan in the 90's. We can be moderately sure that he was IN the US during the 911 attacks and he got secretly transported out! It is believed by some that Iran may be harboring him. Although one source says bin Laden was living in South Waziristan in the Toba Kakar Mountains of the Baluchistan region in Pakistan, surviving from donations from outside countries such as the United Arab Emirates and high-ranking ministers inside Saudi Arabia. "There is an American presence in the area, but we can't just send in troops," Secretary John Lehman said. "If we did, we could have another Vietnam, and the United States cannot afford that right now."

We have a community of countries -- the G8 -- who is now allied to battle the "War on Terrorism." We have an international group of terrorists (or groups) that are growing in force and in numbers. (Sad thing is, as they cause more chaos, and also the more countries that battle against them, the more they will be encouraged (violence creates violence (but not that I know the alternative solution.) There are also countries involved in harboring them.

Now call me crazy, but ... isn't this technically a World War here? At least you could say World War Three is starting with this "War on Terrorism", whether people see it or not. We have international, organized terrorists attacks on the rise, by low-tech groups willing to die to kill their targets and using cheap weapons, disguised like spies among the people. And you have a team of countries united to battle them and the countries who harbor them. I know this might sound like I'm over-reacting here, but it looks to me very much like this is only the very beginning of something that can only grow. Each side of the war will react and fight harder in turn against the other.

Really, as long as Laden's big bucks are protected he has influence, and likely his followers are all ready so loyal to him it may not matter now if he did lose his wealth. They do not fear death or failure. They are desperate. They see countries like the US and England as evil and they believe they are doing the right thing. It's like a cult, and it seems to be expanding. The only way to stop it might be to get Laden, but he is well hidden. Videos are released by him, and in them he appears calm and unconcerned about capture. Finding him and capturing him may be extremely difficult (especially if he is being protected by some US officials.)

Terrible tragedies what has happened to London, and of course 911 -- possibly one of the worse tragedies in history. We know that al-Qaeda had planned attacks for Toronto as well. But they have seemed to be (so far) more interested with England and the US. At any rate, we are under attack. We must fight back, right? How then do we battle an enemy that is everywhere and is with our citizens and can strike at any time with any cheap weaponry they can come up with?

It seems to me that World War Three has begun, and who knows what the results will be..

aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by aldan »

I hate to say this, but about the only way to attack it is to go after the root cause. What is that?? Well, many I'm hearing right now are saying "Go after the Muslims." *shakes head* You know what's sad? As more and more of these things take place, like London and 9/11, I'm edging closer and closer to agreeing with those hotheads. Not good. Not good at all.

It's like saying that when a "Christian" group goes out and does something "crazy" like what happened for years between the "Protestants" and the "Catholics" in Ireland, that to stop that requires destroying the Protestants and Catholics. ALL of them. However, there are enough out-there groups of Mosley fundamentalists that are being, as the non-Moslem's out there go after them, supported by the less-extreme Mosley groups, that it may end up coming to that. I really, REALLY hope not, but that's what my dirty Nostradamus-type glasses are seeing right now...
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and to appear stupid than
to open it and remove all doubt."
---Mark Twain

Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Neurolanis »

Yeah, most Muslems are peace-loving and want nothing to do with terrorism. I heard some report on TV that 1% of Muselms are involved with this Laden-led new Muslem cult. That's a heck of a lot of it's true. But if we expell Muselms from our countries than, isn't that racism? Doesn't that violate human rights and everything that advanced societies are supposed to stand for? Yeah, it's a tough issue. Way I see it, Muslems must be treated as all other citizens. Even though that works in the favor of the terrorists..

aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by aldan »

Well, it's not racism, exactly, but it IS religious discrimination, THAT's for sure!
---Mark Twain

Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Neurolanis »

Yeah. Better put.

Anthentar
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Anthentar »

I've found a way onto this site for a few minutes and I'll throw in my two cents worth. Personally, I don't care about the muslims. The religious wars ended a long time ago (for the pro western side of the conflict at least) and there is another far more annoying people to turn your religious hatred towards. Mormens! I hate them! Always bugging you when you don't want to be bugged. Always trying to convert you to their loonie ways (I know, I know... they don't see their ways as loonie). Anyway, ending pointless rant... now

About the Third World War... this is not it, simply because people don't call it that. If historians one day declare that this is the third world war, then it shall be known to the people as the Third World War... but for now we will simply refer to it as the War of Terrorism. I mean, technically, from a Conservative standpoint, this isn't even really a war. The Iraq, Afghanistan and Isreal conflicts are wars, but each small, localized conflicts with a common thread involved.

A World War is a conflict that affects the world on a great scale. If you compare this current situation that we find ourselves in to the Great Wars, then there is no just cause for referring to it in the same context. The words "World War" carry a very dark connotation now and no one would ever use them to describe what is truly becoming little more than a inconvenience to the world powers (although an expensive and worrisome inconvenience)
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become one. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into you." - Beyond Good and Evil, aphorism 146

Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Post by Magus »

I agree with Anthentar. I wanted to post on this topic all day but couldn't quite get my thoughts into words properly. Anthentar seems to have done the job for me.

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." Albert Einstein

Ionaecius
New User
New User

Post by Ionaecius »

I don't mid Mormons...too much. But I do mind Jehovah's Witnesses. They are the really annoying ones, at least in my neck of the woods.

To be serious though, I don't think a World War on the scale of the first two in the early twentieth century is going to happen in a very long time. I know I am going to sound like an audacious American here, but here goes. There is only one superpower in the world now. At the time of the first two World Wars, power was pretty evenly divided among the world's nations (by world, read Europe). Despite what may seem like some faltering, the US will most likely retain its power once infrastructure is retooled for far less dependence on petroleum. I watched as EU gained power with a little concern for the dominance of my nation, but there are problems within the more powerful nations in Europe. Namely the same problems the US has: cheap labor easily found outside the nation. But enough of my economic rant...

Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Neurolanis »

I believe Nostradamus predicted three evil dictators who would each cause much mass bloodshed. First was Napoleon, second Hitler, and third ..? Experts say that if the prophet was right, according to his text, we should be seeing number three by now.

aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by aldan »

Really, that wasn't a very masked barb, Neuro, if you were aiming it at GeeDub.
---Mark Twain

Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Neurolanis »

Aldan ... you lost me! :shock:

aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by aldan »

Believe me, I'm used to it. Are you??

GeeDub - George DoubleYou Bush

It was the "dictator" part of that and where you live that makes the statement...
---Mark Twain