World War Three?

Want to discuss something else? Anything goes here!

Moderator: Bmat

Anthentar
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Anthentar »

Back from a vacation and time to catch up on some posts.

Ok, back to Ionaecius's post. I hate to break this one to you, but within the next decade, your country will no longer be the sole superpower in the world (a fact I am thankful for... if you recall the last time there was a single overwhelmingly powerful nation in the world (Rome) and just look at what happened after it fell).

China is rising. Current economic predictions say that by 2010, China will replace America as the most industrialized nation in the world. They already possess more than enough military power to stmp any country they choose into the dirt and soon they will possess the economic power that the Soviet Union lacked (the reason why it fell). Taiwan will serve as the flashpoint for this new cold war and America is weak (trust me, GWB's America is not the America of FDR or JFK). Times are changing, and dusk is coming upon the Empires of the West... the only questin is who will strike at us first... the Communists or the Anarchists?
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become one. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into you." - Beyond Good and Evil, aphorism 146

MrB
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Post by MrB »

The thing I find hard to understand is the suicide bomber, what drives a person to walk into a crowded shopping mall or train or bus or whatever you like with half a ton of explosive strapped around their waist and detonate it in order to kill/maim/injure those innocents who have nothing to do with the war on Terrorism.

Now I'm no expert on the Koran, but I have read snippets of translated pages, and from what I understand (and have been told), there are no passages that say "Thou shalt go forth with thy Semtex and bloweth up the first thing thou dost see!" in fact from what I gather suicide is a sin, regardless of religious belief. Does that not demonstrate the so called suicide bomber to be a complete contradiction ?

The biggest question has got to be, how do you beat an enemy with so little regard for his/her own life and even less for those around himself/herself again regardless of religious belief (the majority of people killed in Iraq by suicide bombers being the very people they are trying to "free" under the guise of Islam, can anyone else see the irony here ?)

Anthentar
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Anthentar »

We build a wall and wait out the siege
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become one. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into you." - Beyond Good and Evil, aphorism 146

Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Post by Magus »

I think that those twisted individuals have some hope, whatever it may be, that's similar to people who take hostages. The only way that you can fight them, really, is to not give into their demands. Basically to be moral we must be amoral. Now isn't that ironic.

Also, try to take away whatever hope they have. Without hope that their actions will succeed in furthering their cause they will have no motivation to do it. That is, of course, in the theory of my own mind.

Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Talon Sinnah »

I do not really want to be in another one of these discussions but this sounds interesting. A:I have nothing against any religion because frankly it would go against mine. I only dislike the terroist who attack EVERYONE. B:China I believe should be considered a super power already. The thing about it is that no one knows when the war will happen, but I donot think it will be anytime soon.

If you expect the unexpected then it will not happen. (personal qoute)
I am the poet of the body and I am the poet of the Soul. The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are with me. The first I graft and increase upon myself, the latter I translate into a new tongue.

-Walt Whitman-

Anthentar
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Anthentar »

You watch the news about Taiwan. They declare independence and we are at war

aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by aldan »

Actually, while China still says that Taiwan is a part of their country, it hasn't been for as long as it's existed. It was settled by Chiang Kai-Shek <sp> when Mao Tse Tung took over China. Chiang's followers, who hated Communism, started up the country of Taiwan, Republic of China (written as R.O.C.) in opposition to China, and that communist country has striven for decades to gain control of it and have failed so far.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and to appear stupid than
to open it and remove all doubt."
---Mark Twain

Anthentar
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Anthentar »

Yes, but it's for that very reason that the situation becomes so complicated. Taiwan is not technically it's own country. I mean, in the atlas it lists two Chinas, the PRC and Taiwan, but the UN doesn't recognize it as it lost its seat in the general assembly a long time ago (China represents them both). The PRC claims that Taiwan is part of China and in order for Taiwan to actaully be recognized internationally as its own country, it will have to hold a successful referendum, something that they've already tried to do on at least one occasion.

No the situation becomes even more complicated with the number of countries who do see Taiwan as a seperate country. Although the US does not recognize Taiwan's independence from China, it is bound by a treaty signed with Taiwan to defend the island against any attacks from the PRC. Unfortunetly, with Bush trying to build his missle shield, China's nuclear arsenal is growing while the American arsenal, due to disarming treaties with the Russian Federation, is shrinking. If war does break out and begins to go sour for China (to the point that they feel threatened, or perhaps sooner, who knows), even with your missle shield, every major American city will be struck with a twenty megaton chinese made nuclear weapon. The same would obviously happen to China, but the PRC won't have to give a damn as much as the Americans. Anyway, all in all, you're looking at a pretty grim situation over there and with your forces spread across the world and already unbelievably outnumbered in almost every aspect to them, your chances of victory without the rest of NATO are not looking too good.

aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by aldan »

Yeah, and what's to be done?? There is too much liberal control here to try to do what Reagan did: build up the nuclear arsenal. Part of the problem is that China is not as obvious (in the world's citizenship's eyes) a threat as was the USSR, and so a buildup would be seen as the US trying to bully everyone else and to take over the world, so it'd be next to impossible to accomplish, while China, who can build whatever they please behind their closed borders, and the UN inspectors won't have a clue what's where or if there's anything there in the first place. It's not like the people who live there would DARE to open their mouths!
---Mark Twain

Anthentar
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Anthentar »

The US government can't do a damn thing about Chinese expanding their nuclear arsenal, not because of what you mentioned but because Bush is building his missle shield

You see, it takes a lot of nuclear warheads to overwhelm a missle shield and China told the US that if they want to build their missle shield, then they have to give China the right to make enough nuclear warheads to overwhelm cet shield. The US agreed and that's how they got the go ahead to start building their shield. There is a status quo to maintain between the USA, the PRC and Russia. Each must have the capacity to destroy the others not matter what defensive barriers they wish to erect... otherwise the nation who is erecting a defensive barrier will have to be destroyed before they can complete the project

Status Quo

Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Neurolanis »

The US has that anti-missile project thing underway, the one that WAS going to involve Canada. And if the Star Wars project ever gets up and going, well, that should make them the ultimate military power in, or over, the world. They are by far the best as is.

aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by aldan »

China is a nation that makes the world very nervous. The reason? They just don't care. Kill 10,000 people there? They'll be replaced and then some in a year. Kill 100,000 of them? That's less than a percentage point of their population. A million?
That's close to 1 % but it's still less than that.
---Mark Twain