Vikings Return To Canada

Want to discuss something else? Anything goes here!

Moderator: Bmat

Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Vikings Return To Canada

Post by Neurolanis »

Well, Canada needs to get its guard up and get tough -- for LAND HO, de Vikings hath returned!!

Denmark had put up a flag claiming Hans Island, an island belonging to Canada, back in 1984! The Foreign Affairs Minister and Defense Minister of Canada, Bill Graham, went there recently and put up a Canadian flag. Peter Taksoe-Jensen, spokesperson for Denmark's Ministry of Foreign Affairs, said that he was annoyed that Graham went onto Denmark property without permission, and Graham responded by saying that he visited the island like he would any other part of Canada. Relations between our two countries has always been good. I hope things get settled over this soon.

But this rises a larger issue; fishermen of Canada's north have photographed foreign submarines up there. Graham has warned that taking subs to Canada, like any other country of the world, without permission or at least mention, is considered an act of war. There are many diamond mines and the like up north, and very small population up there. Some countries may consider our north abandoned and up for grabs! That isn't so. And by international law regarding waters, apparently, if you do not defend the water in time you lose it. So in short, our military defense needs to get its ass in gear!

Of course, we're sending troops into the US' war in Afghanistan, and then there's our horrible military under-funding which leaves us with one or two subs, that don't really pass health-and-safety regulations. The state of our military is pathetic, and I never thought I'd say this, but I think we must get it up and going. We're a wealthy country, better in the position to build up a military than anyone else. The problem is on the general public, who hate war and are afraid that if we have a stronger military that we will use it, like the US. We're glad to be more peace-loving, and I believe we should never lose that. However, we must be able to defend our land! As of now, we have a huge and undefended north open to invasion! This is embarrassing and ridiculous and we must respond. If we can't defend our land, for cripes sake ...

Here is one resource on the Hans Island story:

http://north.cbc.ca/regional/servlet/Vi ... nd25072005

Anthentar
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Anthentar »

Alright never mind what I had written here before for anyone who say it. This isn't serious at all

All I can say is, Neuro, you make it sound almost scary
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become one. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into you." - Beyond Good and Evil, aphorism 146

Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Neurolanis »

lol. I know we've said these things before I just thought it needed a thread. Maybe it doesn't. I wanted a title to grab the reader, like a pitch. Catchy, although in retrospect overly dramatic! :roll:

Anthentar
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Anthentar »

Yes, the article says that hey wrote us a letter as a very dramatic response to our actions. The Danes described it as a games of checkers with each country placing their flag on it every once in a while.
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become one. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into you." - Beyond Good and Evil, aphorism 146

Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Post by Magus »

We're glad to be more peace-loving, and I believe we should never lose that.

Neurolanis, this sentence just really bugged me. You claim to be more peace loving than America, and this is a very subjective argument. One could say that America is the more peace loving of the two, because we build up our military and use them to defend our country and preserve what peace we have. And, even then, Canada has troops in Iraq along with everyone else, you yourself have said this. So what's the basis that they're more peaceful?

Not having a powerful military does not mean one loves peace more than another country who does, nor does it mean that they do. And how does one measure the love of peace?

Keep in mind that, when it comes down to it, it's the soldier who most loves peace, who's heart and soul yearn for it the most.

Anthentar
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Anthentar »

Well said Magus. You truly can't understand what you have until you've lost it, and a soldier understands what it is like to lose peace.

On the other hand, though, Canada is well renowned for trying to bring peace to war-torn lands even more so than... well most other countries in the world. But yes, in the end, our love for peace is most often displayed in the way we wield our armed forces (constantly preparing to defend ourselves if necessary and trying to protect the peace of those who cannot as well)

MrB
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Post by MrB »

It seems distinctly possible that Denmark and Canada could go to war over this...

tee hee hee Denmark and Canada at war... man that's funny !

Incidentally, the other thing that struck me as amusing, the article says Hans Island is 1,100 Kilometres South of the North Pole...

Well which other way would it be ?
You can't dangle the bogus carrot of possible reconciliation in front of my face whilst riding some other donkey.

Anthentar
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Anthentar »

They wouldn't stand a chance

Oh, and there's no possible way that Denmark would make war on us over that tiny spit of frozen wasteland. I think it's a few freaking kilometres across. Oh, and their idea of a harsh response on the matter of us raising our flag there was a letter displaying how disappointed they were with our actions (Team America anyone?)

Starfire
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by Starfire »

This is the kind of thing that really bugs me about the anti-war, anti-America crowd. Their point of view is just hypocritical. I can't believe you had the nerve to post this after all the hateful things you have said about Americans for going to war because people are killing our citizens.

You mean to tell me that a couple of guys planting flags on some barren strip of land is justifiable cause to go to war, but some creeps coming into a country and killing nearly 3,000 people isn't?

I think it is justified for any country to defend itself. I am not going to say you should or should not. I don't live in Canada or Denmark so it is not my call. I just can't believe anyone has the nerve (the Nerve!) to say the war in Iraq makes us war mongers when you would go to war over something that has not caused a single person to die is unbelievable.

I have tried hard to understand the other side on this one and I really feel that I never will.

MrB
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Post by MrB »

I think this was posted to highlight its sillyness, the idea of Canada and Denmark, not generally noted for their war-mongering, is ridiculous in the extreme, I'm sure no offense was meant by it Starfire...

although to be fair I haven't been party to recent discussions, and then there was that little fracas in the south Atlantic about 20 years ago...
You can't dangle the bogus carrot of possible reconciliation in front of my face whilst riding some other donkey.

Anthentar
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Anthentar »

Not to worry, Starfire. This won't come to anything. The problem is, when the line was drwan as a solid border between us and Greenland, ownership of the islands in the middle was not decided. Eventually, we'll sit down with Danish negotiators and make a final decision. Until then, we will send letters back and forth declaring how disappointed we are in the other's actions

Oh, MrB, are you referring to the Falkland War?

Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Post by Magus »

Neurolanis, you do realize that vikings were Norwegian, right? And for that matter my ancestors are Norwegian and can be traced back to vikings.