speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

New Computer

Want to discuss something else? Anything goes here!

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

New Computer

Postby Ariel » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:40 pm

I got a new Asus computer with windows8.1 and it is awesome! It's lightening fast, bright with vivid colors. I was on the old windows xp and really need a new computer. Just thought I'd share that. Hey the site was down yesterday. Hope everyone is well! :D
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (3)

Re: New Computer

Postby Asp Zelazny » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:23 pm

Congrats on the new computer, Ariel. I'm envious. (well, some day ...)

I've also been aware that the site was down over the last couple of days. But what I was getting when I was trying to sign in was: 403 "FORBIDDEN -- You Are Not Permitted Access To This Site", not the old 404 "site not found" so I was sure I must have done something horribly wrong here and had been banned for life.
Asp Zelazny
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby Bmat » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:33 am

Yes, it was all Asp's fault! LOL!

Congratulations on your new computer, Ariel!

Is this a desktop or laptop?

I need a new computer but have been wary of W 8. I am looking for a desktop.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby Ariel » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:21 am

Asp Zelazny wrote:Congrats on the new computer, Ariel. I'm envious. (well, some day ...)

I've also been aware that the site was down over the last couple of days. But what I was getting when I was trying to sign in was: 403 "FORBIDDEN -- You Are Not Permitted Access To This Site", not the old 404 "site not found" so I was sure I must have done something horribly wrong here and had been banned for life.

I was getting that same message! I thought either it had to do with the new computer (some glitch) or SV didn't love me anymore. LOL :lol:
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Ariel » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:30 am

Bmat wrote:Yes, it was all Asp's fault! LOL!

Congratulations on your new computer, Ariel!

Is this a desktop or laptop?

I need a new computer but have been wary of W 8. I am looking for a desktop.

I got a nice laptop B'mat. I too was leary of any windows 8 or 8.1 as I heard how it was not user friendly. I have the 8.1 and learned a lot on my own the very first night. I am not technically inclined nor the brightest lightbulb in the pack. They also have tutorials on youtube. I was pissed that after spending over 800 bucks the damned thing came without any manual or instruction books. I'm sure there is a lot more to know and that I will never know all there is to know, but I am able to do all the things I did on my old computer. I LOVE this thing!!

When I went to buy my computer, most of them came with the windows 8 or 8.1 so I bit the bullet and was glad I did. I mean, I prefer the older easier windows, but not much we can do about that. Good luck with your computer shopping! :)
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Ariel » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:34 am

OH one thing people have to know is that you can't turn it on and off with the same button, which is insane. You have your on button then if you want to shut down you have to swipe the window to the left and a panel shows up and you choose it from there. Stupid feature. Oh mine is a touch screen but I still use my mouse usually.
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Ariel » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:37 am

Forgot to mention that some guy from another forum was telling me about how you cannot turn the computer on and off with the same button. He said he had to google how to shut the damned thing off. I thought he was kidding. I said, "doesn't the damned thing come with instructions?" When he said he was serious, I thought OMG am I ever in trouble, this should be fun! LOL
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Ariel » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:43 am

OH, one nice feature is that it if you misspell a word it will underline it in red. Even if you accidentally run two words together or don't put a capital for like Mr. Kind of looks funny when I purposely misspell something like gonna or doin'. LOL
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Bmat » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:41 pm

Thank you for all of the advice. I run firefox and have it set up to tell me if I misspell. :) I am wondering if I should go with a laptop, since it seems weird to get W8 or 8.1 which is touch screen but not have that capability, unless one can buy a monitor perhaps for desktop that has touch screen, but I don't want to lean across my desk to do touch screen.

This is strange about having to figure out where the off button is. :(
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby Ariel » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:05 am

You can still use a mouse with the touchscreens. I didn't know that until the guy at the store told me. LOL
I love laptops because they take up little space and I can take it and sit outside in the warmer weather, or down to my Mom's to show her something. Yeah, that on off button thing is really strange. Good luck with your computer shopping! Hope you get what you love.
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby The Master » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:55 pm

The site was down because my host overloaded their server and one of my scripts was the unlucky one to trigger some alarm so they blamed me for being the one to overload it.

Open control panel (from start screen type "control panel" until search finds it).
In search box type "power".
Click "change what the power buttons do"
Change "when I press the power button" dropdown to do whatever you want it to do when it is on battery and or plugged in.
Save Changes.

I like to set my laptop to hibernate when I close the lid.
The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (2)
Art: View My Art Gallery

Postby Ariel » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:37 am

Cool! I'm still thrilled with this thing! Big expense for me but should last quite some time. :D
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Next

Return to Off Topic Conversations