speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Have you read or seen The Giver by Lois Lowry?

Want to discuss something else? Anything goes here!

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Have you read or seen The Giver by Lois Lowry?

Postby Bmat » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:48 pm

A friend loaned me the book and the DVD of The Giver. I liked them both about equally. The set up of the society was interesting, everyone was carefully taught to be the same as everyone else, to speak clearly so there could be no misunderstandings, to apologize and accept apologies. They were all watched over through childhood and assigned their roles in life on graduation from school.

I had a few questions about the book and movie. I understand the symbolism of the colorless place, but I don't see how it would be possible logically. The transfer of memories also. and a few more points that I don't want to say in case someone wants to read the book or see the movie. Perhaps the book could be called fantasy instead of SF, or even just speculative fiction.

Are you familiar with The Giver? What are your thoughts?
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Re: Have you read or seen The Giver by Lois Lowry?

Postby Talon Sinnah » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:57 pm

I read it in highschool. I feel it was meant more to make the reader think more of the meaning of the book more then the actual tech.
I am the poet of the body and I am the poet of the Soul. The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are with me. The first I graft and increase upon myself, the latter I translate into a new tongue.

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby Talon Sinnah » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:00 pm

I have yet tto watch the movie though. I always recommend the book to anyone who wants a good read. I always found it intriguing to think of how it wood be to see someone else's memory or have a burden similar to the giver's
I am the poet of the body and I am the poet of the Soul. The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are with me. The first I graft and increase upon myself, the latter I translate into a new tongue.

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby Bmat » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:52 am

I agree it is a good read. There were some interesting ideas to consider.

Another book, that I've read lately, Flip, by Martyn Bedford, was also YA and had interesting speculative topics. :)
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Return to Off Topic Conversations