speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

The Martian

Want to discuss something else? Anything goes here!

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

The Martian

Postby Bmat » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:47 pm

Have you seen the movie? Did you read the book?

I really enjoyed the book, and I saw the movie in 3D and thought they did a good job.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Re: The Martian

Postby Asp Zelazny » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:49 pm

I've read the book, and found it very well-written and engaging. The survival value of science, and the thinking out loud that taught the science was done in a manner that drew you in, and the snarky and generally upbeat persona of the character kept it light enough that the average technophobe intrigued. I have not yet seen the movie, though I plan to ... I hope that they didn't dumb it down (the reviews suggest that they did not, which is encouraging).
Asp Zelazny
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby Bmat » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:39 am

I found that it helped to have read the book. Some of the technical reasoning was not covered or it seemed that way to me since with the book I had the option of reviewing what he was thinking.

I read recently that for survival the root crops are the easiest to produce and use the least land area. Of course I thought of The Martian. :)
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Merle » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:44 pm

I have to say I found the film riveting. I have not read the book, so can't compare. I very much liked the character. There was a bit of Apollo 13 in the way they worked things out. That certainly gave it a "realistic" feel.
Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me.
Merle
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Postby Bmat » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:14 am

Merle wrote:I have to say I found the film riveting. I have not read the book, so can't compare. I very much liked the character. There was a bit of Apollo 13 in the way they worked things out. That certainly gave it a "realistic" feel.

The book is even better. Of course I read it first and wondered all along if he'd survive.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Off Topic Conversations