DK Talks {religion and other stuff}

Want to discuss something else? Anything goes here!

Moderator: Bmat

Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Ariel »

Still love ya D.K. :wink: no matter what you call yourself.

Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Dark Knight »

MrB you know what I was getting at, maybe I should have use a different example......

As for organised religion,....>>>> you don't have to be a member of some big outfit to be a christian.....>>>

You don't have to go to church, but it is a good idea.....

You can pick up a Bible from any book shop.....and you can go to sites that have the bible on-line.....you can pray in your own house....anytime you like.....

OK enough said on that......

I was not always a christain......just in case your are wondering.....

Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Dark Knight »

I'm sorry but as far as organised religion goes, there are some very big Questions that need to be answered before they get my vote of approval...
Well I was not planning to convert you overnight...... :wink:

Edit: Actually I can't convert you, but God can....
Last edited by Dark Knight on Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Desslok
New User
New User

Post by Desslok »

Maybe this will help answer some questions about Christianity. I wrote this a few years ago to try and pinpoint it as best as I could...

What is Christianity?

To fully understand what Christianity was based upon, let me first explain what Christianity is not...

True Christianity is not about rules and regulations. It's not about following the Ten Commandments. It's not about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. It's not about how many sins you can commit before going to hell. It's not about what church you go to, what music you listen to, or how much money you give away. It's not about deep philosophical questions (ex: If God is all-powerful, can he create a rock that he can't lift?). It's not about baptism. It's not about speaking in tongues. It's not about the eternity of X group of people. It's not about praying before every meal.

I know many church leaders have sprung up over the past 2,000 years and debated over one thing or another. Some groups have taken portions of the Bible and misinterpreted them to fit their own desires. Other groups have focused on certain portions and disregarded the rest. And still others who call themselves "Christians" have created their own ideas, getting completely away from the core of it all.

Why did Jesus come to earth? It all boils down to three things:

1. God created.
2. Man screwed up.
3. Jesus saves.

Let me expand on those three points:

1. God created.
God created everything in, on, above, and through the earth (add whatever other adjectives you'd like). :) Here's something to blow your mind... the next time you go to the beach, pick up a few grains of sand with your fingertip. Then say to yourself, "God created these grains of sand." Next, look at the grains of sand right in front of you and realize He created those too. Now pull back and look at how much sand is on that beach. God created all of that... every single grain of sand on that beach (and that's just what you can see). But it's not just the sand. It's the water, the plants, the sky, the animals, and the humans. That brings us to the next point.

2. Man screwed up.
In the time of Genesis, when man was first created, everything was perfect. But sin entered the world through man. Adam and Eve were disobedient, and every human after them inherited the curse of sin. What is sin? It's simply "doing something bad." I know that sounds kind of a juvenile answer, but it's true. Whether it's genocide, adultery, theft, cheating on your taxes, or rebroadcasting the World Series without the expressed written consent of Major League Baseball, it's all sin, and we've all done it. And because God hates sin, we by all rights have no reason to be in His presence. Sounds kind of judgmental, but that brings us to point number three.

3. Jesus saves.
Jesus came to earth as God in the form of a human being. Because God is perfect, Jesus was the only human who never sinned. He was killed for blasphemy, but there was a higher meaning for His death. Jesus died as a sacrifice to cover every sin that had been or would be committed. Jesus bought the inheritance back for us as failed humans.

What do we need to do to earn our inheritance? Just accept the gift. That's it. We are failed beings, and will never reach perfection while we walk this earth. We've all sinned, and we all will continue to sin. I don't care if you're the Pope, Jeffrey Dahmer, Billy Graham, or Hitler. We're all sinners.

But by accepting the gift of salvation, we are given the right to become children of God, and will receive His gift of eternal life. That's the cool thing about true Christianity. You don't need to work your way to salvation. Christiantity is the only faith I'm aware of where you don't have to work to receive it. Anyone is welcome, as long as you receive it.

How do I receive the gift, you may ask. Let me tell you how. :) Just pray something to the Lord along the following lines (Remember, this is a suggested prayer. It's not an incantation. The words don't matter so much as the attitude of the person doing the praying).

"Lord Jesus, I thank You for coming to earth to pay for my sins. I realize that I am a sinner, just like every other human on this earth. I ask for You to forgive my sins, and I accept the gift of salvation You promised to all who accept it."

I hope this helps to explain why I follow Jesus. The other facets of Christianity have their place for debate and discussion, but this is the root of it. Everything else flows outward from here. :)

Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Dark Knight »

Questions and Objections {http://www.carm.org/40_objections/40-4.htm#_1_34}
All religions are different paths to the same place.

A:If all religions are different paths to the same place then why do the paths contradict each other? Does truth contradict itself? Let's review the teachings of just three religions:

B: Buddhism is pantheistic and says there is no personal God and everyone can reach Godlikeness on his own. Islam says that Jesus was just a prophet and not the only way to God. Christianity says that there is a personal God and that the only way to Him is through Jesus (John 14:6). If these three religions are, as you say, different paths to the same place, then why do they contradict each other? Does truth contradict itself?

Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Dark Knight »

Why did Jesus have to die in order for me to go to heaven?

A: Because the wages of sin is death (Rom. 6:23). Though Jesus never sinned (1 Peter. 2:22), He bore our sins in His body on the cross (1 Peter. 2:24) and died. He died in our place. Instead of God making us pay for our sins, He did it Himself by becoming one of us.

B: Two things happen when we sin: one to God and one to ourselves. When we sin, God is offended. Why? Because it is His Law that we are breaking. Also, when we sin we are killed. We don't die right there on the spot, we will face a death that is far more severe. Sin kills us (Rom. 6:23) by causing eternal separation from God (Isaiah 59:2). God hates sin (Hab. 1:13) and sin must be punished. Since we are unable to please God because we are all sinners, He made an offering that is pleasing to Him. That offering was the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross. There was no other way. If there were, God would have done it.

From http://www.carm.org/40_objections/40-4.htm#_1_34

DK: If there where many ways to Heaven, then Jesus would not have had to die on the cross.......

Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Dark Knight »

Septuagint (from http://www.septuagint.net/ )

What is It?

Septuagint (sometimes abbreviated LXX) is the name given to the Greek translation of the Jewish Scriptures. The Septuagint has its origin in Alexandria, Egypt and was translated between 300-200 BC. Widely used among Hellenistic Jews, this Greek translation was produced because many Jews spread throughout the empire were beginning to lose their Hebrew language.

Septuagint - What Does It Contain?
The Septuagint contains the standard 39 books of the Old Testament canon, as well as certain apocryphal books. The term "Apocrypha" was coined by the fifth-century biblical scholar, Jerome, and generally refers to the set of ancient Jewish writings written during the period between the last book in the Jewish scriptures, Malachi, and the arrival of Jesus Christ.

(more at septuagint.net )
Last edited by Dark Knight on Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Dark Knight »

Septuagint part 2 (more from http://www.septuagint.net )

Septuagint - Is it a Reliable Translation?

Since the Septuagint is a translation, scholars speculate if it accurately reflects the Hebrew scriptures of the 2nd century BC. A close examination of the Septuagint and the Masoretic Text (the early Hebrew text of the Old Testament) show slight variations. Were these errors in translation, or are the Septuagint and Masoretic Text based on slightly different Hebrew manuscripts? The discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls has helped to shed light on this question. Discovered in the Qumran region near the Dead Sea beginning in 1947, these scrolls are dated to as early as 200 BC and contain parts of every book in the Old Testament except Esther. Comparisons of the Dead Sea Scrolls to the Masoretic Text and the Septuagint show that where there are differences between the Masoretic Text and the Septuagint, approximately 95% of those differences are shared between the Dead Sea Scrolls and the Masoretic text, while only 5% of those differences are shared between the Dead Sea Scrolls and the Septuagint. Does this mean that the Septuagint is unreliable and that our Old Testament is wrought with contradictory sources? No. It is imperative to note that these “variations” are extremely minor (i.e., grammatical errors, spelling differences or missing words) and do not affect the meaning of sentences and paragraphs. (An exception is the book of Jeremiah, in which the actual passages are arranged differently.) None of the differences, however, come close to affecting any area of teaching or doctrine. The majority of the Septuagint, Masoretic Text and the Dead Sea Scrolls are remarkably similar and have dispelled unfounded theories that the Biblical text has been corrupted by time and conspiracy. Furthermore, these variations do not call into question the infallibility of God in preserving His word. Although the original documents are inerrant, translators and scribes are human beings and are thus prone to making slight errors in translation and copying (Hebrew scribal rules attest to how exacting scribes were). Even then, the Bible has redundancy built into its text, and anything significant is told more than once. If grammatical mistakes were introduced that makes a point unclear, it would be clarified in several other places in scripture.

Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Dark Knight »

Septuagint - Dramatic Evidence for the Credibility of Messianic Prophecy

The Septuagint and the Dead Sea Scrolls establish a very dramatic piece of evidence for Christianity – that the Old Testament prophecies of the coming Messiah unquestionably predated the time that Jesus Christ walked the earth. All theories of 1st Century AD conspiracies and prophecy manipulation go out the door when we realize that prophetic scripture like Isaiah 53 and Psalm 22 were fixed in written form at least 100 years before Christ, and probably many more. Again, despite time, persecution, and the incredibly minor instances of scribal mistakes, the Septuagint is just another example of how the Biblical text has remained faithful in its message and theme. The Holy Bible is truly a divinely inspired and preserved letter from God that is deserving of our time and attention.

“The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God stands forever.” (Isaiah 40:8 )

Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Neurolanis »

The spiritual force of life is mysterious, IMPOSSIBLE for the conscious mind to understand. Yet, it is very much and what we are. We MUST follow the light, thus we must be connected to it. But the problem -- how do we connect to something that is beyond us?

Wise men solved the problem with symbols.

What is this great spiritual force? It's God, the Holy Father. Now, it can be understood. That was what Paul the Roman invented. A director named George Lucas called it the Force. Same thing exactly: it makes the spiritual force of life understandable on a conscious level. This connects us to spiritualism, thus myth is essential to our spiritual balance.

As our society loses it lies, materialism, and vulgarity rise out of the anxiety, fear and impatience of the off-balance. So, this whole God and Jesus thing IS divine and serves a vital purpose. But when there's a natural tragedy and people begin asking "why would God do this?" ... they're taking it too literally. That's exactly the same as young Star Wars fans saying, "why is the Force off-balance?" Myth is essential but if you take the symbol too literally you miss the value behind it. People need to connect and believe in mythical symbols for what they reflect, not as the literal truths of all things.

Life is a mystery and you will find no answers, reasons or explanations for it. All there is is paths, true and untrue ones. Spiritualism is the higher path, one led by the light of myth, but if you stop to stare at the light ... you blind yourself from the path.

Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Dark Knight »

"My strength is dried up like a potsherd, And my tongue cleaves to my jaws; And Thou dost lay me in the dust of death. 16 For dogs have surrounded me; A band of evildoers has encompassed me; They pierced my hands and my feet. 17 I can count all my bones. They look, they stare at me; 18 They divide my garments among them, And for my clothing they cast lots." Psalm 22

Written before the CRUCIFIXION, writen before Jesus "walked the earth"......

Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Dark Knight »

Messianic Prophecy: Fulfillment by Jesus Christ
Messianic prophecy was fulfilled by the Messiah, Jesus Christ. Although many Jews did not accept Jesus as their Messiah, many did, and they became the Jewish sect later known as the Christians. Christianity, based in dramatic part on the fulfillment of historical prophecy, spread rapidly throughout the Roman Empire of the 1st Century.

The Old Testament verses are the prophecy; the New Testament verses proclaim the fulfillment. Check them all out for yourself!

Born of a virgin (Isaiah 7:14; Matthew 1:21-23) A descendant of Abraham (Genesis 12:1-3; 22:18; Matthew 1:1; Galatians 3:16) Of the tribe of Judah (Genesis 49:10; Luke 3:23, 33; Hebrews 7:14) Of the house of David (2 Samuel 7:12-16; Matthew 1:1) Born in Bethlehem (Micah 5:2, Matthew 2:1; Luke 2:4-7) Taken to Egypt (Hosea 11:1; Matthew 2:14-15) Herod´s killing of the infants (Jeremiah 31:15; Matthew 2:16-18 ) Anointed by the Holy Spirit (Isaiah 11:2; Matthew 3:16-17) Heralded by the messenger of the Lord (John the Baptist) (Isaiah 40:3-5; Malachi 3:1; Matthew 3:1-3) Would perform miracles (Isaiah 35:5-6; Matthew 9:35) Would preach good news (Isaiah 61:1; Luke 4:14-21) Would minister in Galilee (Isaiah 9:1; Matthew 4:12-16) Would cleanse the Temple (Malachi 3:1; Matthew 21:12-13) Would first present Himself as King 173,880 days from the decree to rebuild Jerusalem (Daniel 9:25; Matthew 21:4-11) Would enter Jerusalem as a king on a donkey (Zechariah 9:9; Matthew 21:4-9) Would be rejected by Jews (Psalm 118:22; I Peter 2:7) Die a humiliating death (Psalm 22; Isaiah 53) involving:
- rejection (Isaiah 53:3; John 1:10-11; 7:5,48 )
- betrayal by a friend (Psalm 41:9; Luke 22:3-4; John 13:18 )
- sold for 30 pieces of silver (Zechariah 11:12; Matthew 26:14-15)
- silence before His accusers (Isaiah 53:7; Matthew 27:12-14)
- being mocked (Psalm 22: 7-8; Matthew 27:31)
- beaten (Isaiah 52:14; Matthew 27:26)
- spit upon (Isaiah 50:6; Matthew 27:30)
- piercing His hands and feet (Psalm 22:16; Matthew 27:31)
- being crucified with thieves (Isaiah 53:12; Matthew 27:38 )
- praying for His persecutors (Isaiah 53:12; Luke 23:34)
- piercing His side (Zechariah 12:10; John 19:34)
- given gall and vinegar to drink (Psalm 69:21, Matthew 27:34, Luke 23:36)
- no broken bones (Psalm 34:20; John 19:32-36)
- buried in a rich man´s tomb (Isaiah 53:9; Matthew 27:57-60)
- casting lots for His garments (Psalm 22:18; John 19:23-24) Would rise from the dead!! (Psalm 16:10; Mark 16:6; Acts 2:31) Ascend into Heaven (Psalm 68:18; Acts 1:9) Would sit down at the right hand of God (Psalm 110:1; Hebrews 1:3)

From http://www.allabouttruth.org/Messianic-Prophecy.htm