speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Pet Postings

Want to discuss something else? Anything goes here!

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Pet Postings

Postby Ariel » Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:16 am

Most of us have amazing pets we share our homes with.Animals
that we love dearly ,who make us smile,or laugh.

We all have a story to tell.Let's hear yours!!

I'll start.Though I've owned many pets through the years,I currently share my life with 2 cats (Ariel and Straya),3 birds(2 zebra
finches,and an orange weaver) and a turtle.All rescues.

Sraya is a white persian cat.My husband and I found her sleeping in
the dumpster where we are employed,eating whatever scraps of food that were tossed her way.She was terrified of people and being deaf,she was easily startled.We rescued her,spent a small fortune on vet bills and brought her home.I called her the cougar for a while as she was so wild.I spent a lot of time with her
learning how to communicate with her and calm her down.She is now a sweet ,gentle loving little thing.When she looks up at me with her big ice-blue eyes,I can't help but smile* :flower:

Ariel is a calico/tiger mix.She's the only cat I've ever had who actually listens when you tell her to knock it off if she's misbehaving.

The birds chirp(more like beeping)in the background,and the turtle though quiet,is an interesting little thing.

Your turn!!
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Anime Trekker » Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:03 pm

Not too long ago (almost 4 months to be exact) my 12 year old Shih Tzu (dog breed) Howie was euthanized because he had the severest form of malignant cancer. The vet said that it could be operated on, but it would return within 3-6 months. My mother told the vet to put Howie down because we didn't want him to operated on so he could feel miserable again. Plus the fact that my mom and and I had been discussing over the last few months what we would do in case something like this happened to Howie. At least Howie died looking pretty instead of looking tortured and beat up like you see a lot of old dogs that are being put to sleep.

Right now at my dad's house, we have an extremely dark swirly striped 11 month old grey tabby named Gabe, and he is the the squirreliest cat you will ever meet. I mean he chases things that aren't even there, and he loves to play with the feather duster. But Gabe is a real sweetheart.
"The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings to Make Me Tame." -From Hellsing Ultimate

Please visit my Facebook page. (search under the name "Talya Marsh" if you cannot get there from the link)
Anime Trekker
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Magus » Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:47 pm

I have a 12 year old slightly overweight Westie named Molly that I believe I've talked about before. I'll post pictures of her later.
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Ariel » Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:18 pm

Anime Trecker,So sorry to hear about your dog!I had a gorgeous himalayan cat we had to put to sleep which really broke my heart as he touched my life deeply.He was 19 years old and I'm thankful for the time we had together.

Your cat sounds energetic.It's comical when they jump at things that arn't there!

Magus,when the time draws nearer to xmas,we'll have to have some name ideas for your puppy !! :flower:
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Anime Trekker » Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:49 pm

Ariel wrote:Anime Trecker,So sorry to hear about your dog!I had a gorgeous himalayan cat we had to put to sleep which really broke my heart as he touched my life deeply.He was 19 years old and I'm thankful for the time we had together.

Thanks

Six weeks before Howie was euthanized we had him taken to the vet to have him examined, and the vet said Howie was fine. But 2 weeks after Christmas, we had him put to sleep.

The tumor destroyed his spleen, blocked his intestines, and spread into one of his lungs.

On Gabe, yesterday I caught him climbing on the net on the windows trying to chase birds (had the windows open).

A couple of weeks ago, my dad was getting the bathtub ready to take a bath in. As Gabe was watching the water fill up the tub, my dad snuck up to him and grabbed him. When this happened, Gabe jumped up 3 feet in the air, landed on the toilet seat, tried to get some traction, ran to the kitchen (where his litterbox is), and took a you-know-what. Now he doesn't trust my dad in the bathroom, and I don't blame him. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings to Make Me Tame." -From Hellsing Ultimate

Please visit my Facebook page. (search under the name "Talya Marsh" if you cannot get there from the link)
Anime Trekker
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Ariel » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:38 pm

:cat: LOL Love that story!I had a cat who was perched on the edge of the tub and fell in.She wasn't very happy about that!!

Ever notice how you can spend all kinds of money on interesting cat
toys,and the things they love the most are empty boxes,bags,
shoelaces,things you already have hanging around the house?Go figure! :D
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Magus » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:41 pm

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Magus » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:41 pm

Well, not exactly a cat... but rabbits are close enough, right?
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Ariel » Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:03 pm

I LOVE your rabbit!He's adorable!! :dwarf:
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Anthentar » Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:36 pm

I'm not a cat fan, but I love dogs. My family has three, two pure-bred Golden Retrievers (Bailey and Morgan) and a half-breed pit bull terrier. They're all a bunch of lovable idiots who are each adorned with their own personalities. Morgan even tries to talk, though with very little success.
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become one. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into you." - Beyond Good and Evil, aphorism 146
Anthentar
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby Ariel » Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:50 pm

What's the terriers' name?How old are the dogs?Tell me about their personalities.I have a passion for animals ! They're comical at
times,and so loving ,gentle and sweet.Well,mine are anyway.

I love hearing about other peoples' pets! :cat:
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Anthentar » Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:33 pm

Alright then. Bailey is a runt Golden Retriever. He has messed up eyes and lips (always drooling and crying) and he's a total wuss. But, I must admit he knows when it is the best time to give up, and I haven't seen another dog his size that can make a 100 pound rottweiler roll over on her back and surrender as well. I think he's still kind of angry that we had his balls taken out.
Morgan is Bailey's older sister and she tries to talk. I also taught her to hit people with her paws (it was an accident) and she will sometimes try to give you a hug like a person would. She also has the best 'confused' look that I have ever seen on a dog.
Phoebe is the terrier and she is little, but has a lot of... 'spunk', for lack of a better word. She wants to scrap with every other dog in existence and only ever lost a fight to a pair who teamed up on her. For some reason, though, she doesn't mind the pups, and even tries not to hurt them when they are playing. In the end, it's all an act. She's scared of lightning, thunder and the vacuum cleaner like you wouldn't believe.
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become one. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into you." - Beyond Good and Evil, aphorism 146
Anthentar
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Next

Return to Off Topic Conversations