Christmas gift sggestions

Want to discuss something else? Anything goes here!

Moderator: Bmat

who me
Resident Author
Resident Author

Christmas gift sggestions

Post by who me »

I tend to get all my Christmas shopping out of the way before the shopping malls (that I dread so much) get out there plastic Santa's and all the sales people are surrounded by dozens of people there nerves frayed...

the point, every year it is the same thing. what, oh what to get Mother, Father, and uncle Egbert who have every thing. should i really get the Louie vetton diamond gold fish collier?
so lets post ideas for what to get our relatives.

personally i would hole up with the Grinch but he will not have me over any more. said i was to "cheerful" and "bubbly".

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Bmat »

I'll be interested in hearing ideas, too.

I don't like to get my mother anything that sits around. I usually get her gift certifcates to various restaurants and grocery stores near where she lives.

My husband I get books for. This year he is getting a nice book on old maps, for one.

Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Neurolanis »

I always get a book for my father, my sister always tells me exactly what she wants me to get her, but I always find it hard when shopping for my mother. She has done so much and deserves the most thoughtful gifts, but I always end up getting her an electric frying pan or new stove-top-covers.

Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Ariel »

Gift certificates are great. There are the ones from stores, restaurants, movie rental places etc. Magazine subscriptions for the gift that keeps on giving all year. When I buy a gift, I put as much thought into wrapping it as I do picking out the gift. They're works of art. Just beautiful! Since I always find amazing bargains, I will post what I'm buying as soon as I start finding things. :smt114 :smt111 :rendeer:

Dr_Love
True Visionary
True Visionary

Post by Dr_Love »

FRUIT CAKE....i dislike fruit cake so much!
"They are a curious thing, these emotions. How they fly in the face of logic, how they overrule the most basic instincts. Because, in the measure of time, in the measure of humanity, we sense those self-indulgent instincts to be a weakness, we sense that the needs of the community must outweight the desires of the one. Only when we admit to our failures and recognize our weaknesses can we rise above them. Together." -Drizzt Do'Urden

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Bmat »

Dr_Love wrote:FRUIT CAKE....i dislike fruit cake so much!

I like maybe one slice per season. It is part of the flavor of the holiday.

Here's a question that I can use suggestions for. I like to get each of my students (I teach older people at the senior centers) a small gift. I have too many students to even wrap the items. I have about 260 students. So the gifts are small indeed. I have a friend who sells Avon, and she usually gives me a deal so that the expense isn't as great as it could be. I want to keep the cost at most a dollar each and hopefully less, but still get something the students would use and like. So the last few years I've given them small Avon hand lotions. They are under a dollar, less the discount, and the students seem happy to get them.

A friend suggested those little stretchy gloves that you can get in the dollar store. Those would be acceptable, but I can't seem to find them when I am looking for them, and I am doubtful that I could get the quantity that I need anyway, not that each class has to get the same thing. Maybe I should get to a dollar store and see what I can find.

Does anyone here have any suggestions?

Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Neurolanis »

Go to a dollar store. Lots of great stuff. I love food myself, so, I'd recommend some sort of snack. But whereas you teach dancing, or I believe you do, you would likely want something that doesn't add to pounds. Hmn... I've found neat things for $1 at those stores, like a sea shell set, a dream catcher, a neat ornament with dolphins in waves splashing against the rocks..

Yeah,but gift certificates seem to easy of a gift, although I know people always seem to appreciate them.

I loooove fruit cake!! Hmm-mmm. :D

Dr_Love
True Visionary
True Visionary

Post by Dr_Love »

Your head is a fruit cake if you like them. I think they are nasty as could be. And i'm not kidding one little bit...yuck!
"They are a curious thing, these emotions. How they fly in the face of logic, how they overrule the most basic instincts. Because, in the measure of time, in the measure of humanity, we sense those self-indulgent instincts to be a weakness, we sense that the needs of the community must outweight the desires of the one. Only when we admit to our failures and recognize our weaknesses can we rise above them. Together." -Drizzt Do'Urden

Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Post by Magus »

I got my brother, a philosophy minor, "Harry Potter and the Philosophy: If Aristotle Ran Hogwarts". I got my sister, who loves giraffes, a 6 foot tall hand carved giraffe staff. I got my mom, who loves to read but buys and reads books she asks for, a copy of The Historian, which she won't go after for want of hearing of it. All that's left is for me to find a gift for my dad, who's a little difficult to shop for. Karen's easy, she's me with boobs. Kevin's easy, go for something amusing and out-there. My mom's easy if you find a book she'd read but not buy on her own. My dad... I'll have to find something for him.

:roll:

But I love a challenge.

Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Neurolanis »

Magus: she's me with boobs

:shock: :shock:

I once held up a grochery line for fifiteen minutes to get someone to cheek the sale price for a small fruitcake. The couple behind me was twisting and turning. The guy finally commented that he had never seen anyone put up such a fuss or a fruitcake. I gave him a dirty look and he kept quiet. It turns out they were't on sale so I couln't afford it, and didn't purchase it.

If I could afford to I'd pay good money for it. I used to get two kinds and stuff them both in the freezer until Christmas Eve night. :P

Dr_Love
True Visionary
True Visionary

Post by Dr_Love »

i think that a computer, ps3, or xbox 360 would be a great gift...hint hint.

Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Dark Knight »

fruitcake? did I like it........ :?

Sometimes, it depends, sometimes I don't like it, and sometimes I do...... :smt017

it all comes down to how it is made really.....you have to be careful out there, some places just don't know how to make good fruitcake......... :wink:

Anyway that is my experience......

Was someone hinting at something, I didn't catch it.....