Homosexuality

Want to discuss something else? Anything goes here!

Moderator: Bmat

Are you for or against Gay Marriage?

Yes, I strongly support it.
20%
No, I'm firmly against it.
30%
I don't really care; whatever floats your boat.
50%
What's gay marriage?
No votes

Total votes: 20

Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Post by Magus »

The topic is certainly a sensitive one that's to be sure, and I'm happy to see that it has been dealt with sensitively on this board, a big nod of approval from me on that.

Yes, I'd like to agree with this. People often get very passionate about their beliefs and this can cause hostility on controversial issues such as this. I'm pleasantly surprised as to how this has gone and would like to thank everyone for that.

(Less work for me and Bmat. :wink: )

(And, for Aldan: Less work for Bmat and I. :wink: )

You find that most of the arguments about homosexual marriage, though legal issues, stem from religion. Religion is the base for marriages, which isn't wholly surprising, but it should not be the manner of legal marriages. As Fantasy Man pointed out, there's separation of church and state in America, as well as just about every other nation in the world today.

I found it rather amusing that the biggest supporter of Gay Rights that I know of, meaning in person, is the priest at my church. That's right, a priest, of all people. You may or may not recall the time when there were supporters of gay Rights wearing rainbow-colored sashes... belts... who went to church and were denied communion; not on the basis of them being homosexual but on the basis of their open support of it? The Sunday after that our priest delivers a particularly fiery sermon strongly criticizing the churches handling of the matter and strongly supporting Gay Rights. And after he finished our congregation gave him a standing ovation. It was by far the best argument fighting for Gay Rights, from a religious perspective to boot, that I've ever heard.

There was another, more recent, sermon he gave that was not specifically on Gay Rights. It was after the host of The 700 Club said that we should assassinate the Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez Frias. But I thought it worked here, again this is from a religious standpoint and not a legal one. He said, "We are not the Church of the elite. Christ did not choose to preach to the enlightened, to the saved. He went to the sinners and preached to them, because we are not a church of the Pure. Pat Robertson leads a church of the pure. Christ did not and neither should we."

Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Post by Magus »

***PLEASE note that the quote was not meant to be demeaning to people who are homosexual. I do not mean to say that it is a sin to be homosexual. On the contrary, through my previous posts and comments you can see that I support it. Nor, for that matter, should this reflect negatively over the priest who said this, for the issue at the time was not homosexuality. I just used it as evidence to support my arguments on religious views on Gay Rights.***

Jade
New User
New User

Post by Jade »

Magus wrote:I found it rather amusing that the biggest supporter of Gay Rights that I know of, meaning in person, is the priest at my church. That's right, a priest, of all people. ."

It's very nice to see priests supported gay rights, as opposed to teaching hate and fiery vengeance. Is your priest of the Catholic denomination, Magus?
"You've gotta make your own kind of music, sing your own special song!"
-Mama Cass

Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Post by Magus »

Yeah, Roman (Although it's all Greek to me). :wink: He's also really gifted at speaking. I swear that if he arranged his homilies into a book I'd buy them just for personal enjoyment, and books about religion are usually far on my must read list (at least concerning non-fiction).

Jade
New User
New User

Post by Jade »

Magus wrote:Yeah, Roman (Although it's all Greek to me). :wink: He's also really gifted at speaking. I swear that if he arranged his homilies into a book I'd buy them just for personal enjoyment, and books about religion are usually far on my must read list (at least concerning non-fiction).

I'm glad you get to hear an apparently very gifted priest's sermons. We need more of those around here.
:hearye:
"You've gotta make your own kind of music, sing your own special song!"
-Mama Cass

Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Neurolanis »

I wrote a big thoughtful reply to this and then my computer froze! Grr. So, this is like a summery of it..

I've had two gay friends (and I'm not gay by the way) and they both seemed happy with it.

Why not allow them to marry, they can live together and raise kids together anyway?

Some say it's not natural and pysically this is true, but was it natural for fish to start walking on land or man to land on the moon? Is make-up natural? Pop, watching TV, processed food, etc., etc? Should we all be considered unnatural then, and our ability to make our own chocies denied?

My rule is if someone's not setting out to intentionally do something to harm someone, then why should they be judged?

Havoc
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by Havoc »

What is natural these days? I'm currently reading a book in which a lot of scientific (mostly mathematic) babble comes along. One chapter was about the relationship of the main character and his ex-girlfriend. As an illustration, the author wrote about the girl's in depth scientifically appraised series of articles about the unnaturalness of beards and how men with full beards should be percepted. Very vile denouncing towards beards. The main-character, of course, has a beard.

My point is, in a very scientific manner, and ultimately true (if you look back far enough) way, she proved that beards are unnatural, opposed to popular thinking.

Look outside. Do you see that tree? Is that natural? Planted there by humans and surrounded by stone? Allowed to grow, but trimmed down when it interferes with roofing? That cat, sitting on a car-hood. Is she part of our environment? Is she part of nature?
It's the pacing mate.... PACING!!!

The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by The Master »

I'm proud that we have such a great community here that intelligent conversations can be had even on sensitive subjects. Thank you for being respectful to other members while expressing your opinions.

As for sexuality I have a very simple outlook on the matter:

If the people who are having sex are consenting adults and I'm not one of them I could care less what they are doing.

I only have time to worry about my own love life. You take care of yours, deal? ;)

Caltana
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by Caltana »

Magus wrote:
The topic is certainly a sensitive one that's to be sure, and I'm happy to see that it has been dealt with sensitively on this board, a big nod of approval from me on that.

Yes, I'd like to agree with this. People often get very passionate about their beliefs and this can cause hostility on controversial issues such as this. I'm pleasantly surprised as to how this has gone and would like to thank everyone for that..

The thing that annoys me is that this shouldn't be an 'issue' full stop, in an ideal world anyway. One thing I'm a big believer in is that the world would be a much more pleasant place if people could just learn to respect each others beliefs and ideals despite their own and learn to see beyond their own petty mindedness about their own ideals being perfect and everything else, being in their minds, wrong no matter what.

Hetrosexuals should be able to respect Homosexuals despite their differences and just live side by side. I know its not entirely practical as differences between say for example religious beliefs have caused wars. It seems we're not entirely equipped, most of us anyway to deal with people being different to ourselves and sad as it is, people do get hostile. To me, ignorance and closemindedness are two of the world's biggest problems.
"Hell? There is no Heaven, there is no Hell, there is only this place, the Land Of The Dead, my friend..."
-Kevin Heinz Fischer-Oakley.

FantasyMan
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Post by FantasyMan »

LOL by the way magus i'm a roman catholic!
"We have nothing to fear, but fear itself"

-Franklin D. Roosevelt

R.I.P Aldan we know now, that you are in a better place

who me
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by who me »

I have been reading this thread and well I could not think of a thing to wright. I mean I don't care what you do in the privacy of your own home.
even if it involves a sheep and a propeller beanie.

one of the gorillas in the Stuttgart zoo is gay. really they are going to move him to some other zoo where there is a all gay gorilla area. no joke.

in western Europe people are rather tolerant of homosexuality. Stuttgart has a Christoffer street day every year. yes well I am going to go to the Lady's thread and talk about shoes.

Anthentar
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Anthentar »

Neuro, your comments about fish walking on land and man walking on the moon being natural are up for argument. If one does not agree with the theory of evolution, then fish have never walked on lad (besides, name one fish that ever walked on land anyway) and man walking on the moon could be argued as a technological marvel and a most unnatural occurance.

Magus, as a christian, I belive that this world will end and then be replaced by another, better world. I belive that this was God's first attempt at creation and we are all learning from what occurs here to make the next creation as best it can be. This world is not perfect, nor can it ever be. Your own words speak a contradiction... if you believe so firmly that everyone should respect each other for who they are, then you can't force you own view of what would make this world a better place upon anyone else whatsoever... it would be hypocritical
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become one. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into you." - Beyond Good and Evil, aphorism 146