Homosexuality

Want to discuss something else? Anything goes here!

Moderator: Bmat

Are you for or against Gay Marriage?

Yes, I strongly support it.
20%
No, I'm firmly against it.
30%
I don't really care; whatever floats your boat.
50%
What's gay marriage?
No votes

Total votes: 20

Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Post by Magus »

Anthentar, a loot of people do things in public that most people would rather not see. I can name several that I witness throughout the course of my daily life. But we tolerate them so why should this be any different. It's their business, not ours. In my opinion we have no more right to be involved then in the romances or actions of any other person.

Jade
New User
New User

Post by Jade »

Anthentar wrote:I wouldn't call it a problem, but it comes down to the individual. I know that to some people, it makes them feel sick to see or hear about that stuff... in which case, any homosexuals should show restraint in the presence of such people. Other people have no issues with it whatsoever, and that's fine too, but those people shouldn't try to preach their tolerence doctrines onto those who don't want to listen... you're just asking for a fight when you do

I know homosexuals that find the thought of any form of heterosexual activity sickening or gross. Why should homosexuals show any form of restraint if heterosexuals do not also equally show restraint? Are you referring to "you" as in me, or "you" as in people in general?

I'm not trying to seem angry or like I'm lashing out at you; I'm truly not. I'm curious to see your answers.
"You've gotta make your own kind of music, sing your own special song!"
-Mama Cass

Caltana
Site Regular
Site Regular

Homosexuality

Post by Caltana »

The topic is certainly a sensitive one that's to be sure, and I'm happy to see that it has been dealt with sensatively on this board, a big nod of approval from me on that.

As to my opinions, I'm not homosexual, I find the act repulses me, but that doesn't influence my opinion on homosexuals, they are simply differently wired to me mentally so I naturally don't like the idea of intimacy with another man because I'm not wired in the same way.

However I find disgusting the prejudice homosexuals have to face because of who they are; its like being prejudiced against for being a certain height or build; its the way you were born and to be mocked for it is unquestionably wrong, its being rejected for simply being, yourself and that isn't right no matter what anyone might think about how you are.

I actually find insulting the way like a lot of people are, homosexuals are stereotyped in a certain fashion, as if your sexual choice influences the person you are in life.

As to the marriage thing, I certainly agree that homosexual couples should have equal right in terms of legality. As for the signficance of marriage, well I guess that is to do with how you look of the notions of marriage. Traditionally marriage is a Christian ceremony to bond a man and woman in the eyes of God, but if you see it as a joining of two people in love then of course its right.

Ultimately, I feel that though we weren't designed in reproductive terms for two people of the same sex to bond, the mental side of humanity doesn't always reflect on that and so as such homosexuality is okay by me I guess, but being heterosexual of course, I naturally want nothing to do with it myself.
"Hell? There is no Heaven, there is no Hell, there is only this place, the Land Of The Dead, my friend..."
-Kevin Heinz Fischer-Oakley.

Havoc
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by Havoc »

The only thing I like to amend to that is that marriage isn't christian. It's the christian version and christian way of looking at a bond between two humans that is universal to almost all religions.
It's the pacing mate.... PACING!!!

Dr_Love
True Visionary
True Visionary

Post by Dr_Love »

Magus makes a good point, i'm going to look at it like that from now on.
"They are a curious thing, these emotions. How they fly in the face of logic, how they overrule the most basic instincts. Because, in the measure of time, in the measure of humanity, we sense those self-indulgent instincts to be a weakness, we sense that the needs of the community must outweight the desires of the one. Only when we admit to our failures and recognize our weaknesses can we rise above them. Together." -Drizzt Do'Urden

Caltana
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by Caltana »

Havoc wrote:The only thing I like to amend to that is that marriage isn't christian. It's the christian version and christian way of looking at a bond between two humans that is universal to almost all religions.

Absolutely correct Havoc, I agree totally, but living in Western societies as a lot of people on this board do, where Christianity is a dominant faith and one that a lot of people's do consider as an essential part of marriage, I just thought it was worth pointing out.

I agree with you on the idea that it is only one way of viewing the marriage idea, I don't think Christianity is the one true way of looking at marriage as marriages were going on long before Christianity.
"Hell? There is no Heaven, there is no Hell, there is only this place, the Land Of The Dead, my friend..."
-Kevin Heinz Fischer-Oakley.

Anthentar
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Anthentar »

Actually Magus, some people do not stay quiet about what they see or hear in public that offends them. I know of many times that someone has either shown disdain for me or someone I knwo over something they did or said in a public area...

So no, many things are not tolerated by some people. In which case to avoid unnecessary confrntation, you should just refrain from doing whatever it is in their presence

And I meant 'you' as a generality. Sorry, I probably should have worded that more carefully
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become one. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into you." - Beyond Good and Evil, aphorism 146

FantasyMan
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Post by FantasyMan »

Just incase this hasn't been said...if this is distressing anyone plz tell our happy neigborhood mods and they will do something about it or just say something and i am sure we can tone down the conversation :D
"We have nothing to fear, but fear itself"

-Franklin D. Roosevelt

R.I.P Aldan we know now, that you are in a better place

Anthentar
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Anthentar »

It has been said and duely noted. We wait only for word from a mod... or anyone for that matter, to say that it's time to tone it down
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become one. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into you." - Beyond Good and Evil, aphorism 146

FantasyMan
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Post by FantasyMan »

ok just checking :)
"We have nothing to fear, but fear itself"

-Franklin D. Roosevelt

R.I.P Aldan we know now, that you are in a better place

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Bmat »

^^^^^^

What FantasyMan said.

Anthentar
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Anthentar »

:thumright: