The Master's Bar and Grill

Kick off your shoes and chat with friends. Role play is always welcome.

Moderator: Bmat

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Re: The Master's Bar and Grill

Post by Bmat »

Merry Christmas, Q! Great to see you! How are things?

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays to all!

Qray

And to all a Good Night.

Post by Qray »

Merry Christmas, everyone!

I'm ok. Working a lot. In the last three weeks I've put in a 80, 70 and another 70. Should be slowing down to normal in a few weeks.

I've got an idea for a story I want to get written down, but you know how that goes.

How have you been?
I'm going to die the way I've lived...poor, screaming, and naked.

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Bmat »

I am well, thanks. Extended family worries- my younger sister has been in and out of the hospital and rehab with kidney failure, heart failure and assorted other problems. But my immediate family is doing well and a joy.

Cool about your story idea- write it down even if only a little at a time, in all of your free time. :wink:

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Bmat »

Very sorry to have to tell you all that my sister died last week. Kidney and heart failure.

Qray

Post by Qray »

My deepest condolences, Bmat.
I'm going to die the way I've lived...poor, screaming, and naked.

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Bmat »

Thank you, Q.
It has been rough. and a week after her death the coronavirus crisis hit. The rehab where my sister had been staying had a good number of residents as well as staff become infected. We are guessing my sister would have caught it if she had still been there. Anyway the family is working on paperwork and house repairs now.

Ranryu2
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by Ranryu2 »

Well how is everyone after all this time???

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Bmat »

Hello, Ranryu! I am OK, thanks. Brad (The Master) redid the site to this very nice layout.

Would love if more of our former active members would check in even if just to say hello.

How are things going with you?

Astaire
Just Registered
Just Registered
Location: Way the hell around the other side of the Earth from where you are

Post by Astaire »

In the cloud there was a duplicate of a hard drive that was a backup from a core i5 (4.2Ghz) that had a backup from a hard drive once installed in an E5400 (2.7) that happened to have a backup from a core2duo (3.33) that held a backup of an old celeron D356 (3.33) that had a backup of an AMD Thunderbird (800Mhz) that had a backup of a K6-III (450) that had a backup of a P55C (200) that started life as an overclocked Pentium 60 (120Mhz) that held a miniature facsimile of what is now a small side room of the Master's Bar and Grill called the Pool Area and Trophy Display.

In the PATD along the back wall there is a morphing of a large and roaring fireplace that catches the attention of the barman Cloney. Wiping glasses with a miraculously self renewing bar towel the host holds up a glass to one eye. Looking to the fire to check his handiwork he notices that now the mantel is curving into a series of circles somewhat reminiscent of Stargate Portals nested one behind the other. A dim figure can just be made out of the haze. With a hale and hearty youthful stride a tall dark-cloaked man steps from one gate and with little hesitation crosses to the next.

However with each passage the man (who we can see a little more clearly now) seems a little stiffer, a little more bent, shrunken and grayed. The over-confident stride which once had a haughty jaunt now resembles less the audacious youth and more the humble man. Knowledge tempered by losses that time brings to the experienced and reflected in the face are the thoughts of those who have made the long journey one step at a time and also those who have retreated to the wayside.

And now the step over each circle threshold requires the grip of an unsteady hand and the help of a sturdy walking stick and each comes with a moment's hesitation after crossing. Looking from side to side to what was once tens and then hundreds of megabytes is now gigabytes. Then on to the unfathomable vastness of multiple terabytes.

Astaire steps into the PATD and closes the portals behind him with a sweeping gesture. Reaching into a tattered pocket for his Wammy card he addresses the barman: "Cloney sammy refills for any who ask."

"Certainly Sir," is the reply.

"Get me some coffee for now, not any of that cat gut stuff. Just a nice Ethiopian blend french pressed." With a roll of his good eye Cloney turned to obey. Astaire didn't notice as he settled into a dark corner where he could observe the other avatars go about their usual business.

Has it really been 23 years? A picture frame by the bar rotates through absent avatars every few seconds and ProfCrash catches his eye. "Didn't she get married a few years ago?" as he takes his first sip of Joe. A look of satisfaction comes over the tired face and he nods his appreciation.
"Thanks Cloney."

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Bmat »

Astaire! 23 years? really?
I haven't taken a look inside the PATD for a long time.

Astaire
Just Registered
Just Registered
Location: Way the hell around the other side of the Earth from where you are

Post by Astaire »

May 8th 1998 and reposted here about 10 years later

The original post was lamenting the September effect and how during rapid growth the nuevo majority soon overwhelm the old guard and their traditions. We're a few generations beyond that now I'm suppose

I use a nested structure to my bookmarks (brought forward through each generation of computer) much like the backups of user files. Yesterday I was cleaning (sadly) deep links that are no longer functional. All great sites at one time but now only the minority are still around today

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Bmat »

Yes, true, sadly. It was a lot of fun at sci fi site and then vine. And here at SV it used to be a rocking place, now from time to time some of our old group show up.