speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

The Blade of Heaven and Hell (Phantom, etc.)

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

The Blade of Heaven and Hell (Phantom, etc.)

Postby Forever Zero » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:01 pm

Alright, this is for the novel. I'm going to create another character to take Phantom's place for this novel, until then I'm going to explain everything that had to do with Phantom in the RP. We can use this topic to work together to fit this new character in.

As of the RP, the Blade of Heaven and Hell was a secret dojo, or sorts. Thats the closest thing I can compare it to. It is a spiritual martial art that deals with the land of the dead and the inhabitants of it. It is very similar to necromancy, however the teachings of this art strongly dictate that necromancy is to be regarded as a "careless, selfish form of magic that brings harm to the balance of living and dead".

The abilities of a Practitioner of Heaven and Hell are as follows.

First, a practioner must open a link to the land of the dead. This link is inactive until the practioner invokes abilities of his or her own to affect this link. To open the link, a basic chant is required:

Shirash eiyseh en kiash tieya.

Afterwards, there are essentially two things that can be performed.

1. Deadwalking:
In this instance, the practioner sends their awareness into their spirit or soul, rather than their physical body. The use of this technique causes temporal distortion in the physical plane surrounding them; essentially it looks like the atmosphere around them is "pusling", like a heartbeat.

Performing this art allows the practioner to have full control of his or her soul. The body is rendered immobile, and can not be disturbed while the ritual is in motion. Doing so could potentially seperate the practioner's soul from his body permanently. The soul is capable of speaking with other souls in the area, has the ability to see other souls in the area, and any magic that affects the livind and the dead (necromancy, etc.) takes on a physical appearance. In rare cases a practioner can use this ability to possess someone's body, but this act is forbidden.

Naturally this is also an effective tool against possession (of someone other than the practitoner). One character I recall having a split personality, in this instance is the practitioner's soul is strong enough, he or she can force the "evil" persona to receed "behind" the person's original soul (split personalities, in Lycoria, I regard as someone having two seperate souls).

2. Spirit summoning:
While this art is tought by the Blade of Heaven and Hell, it is forbidden under all circumstances. The reason was due to an old Heaven and Hell master abusing this technique for his own selfish gain.

This also requires the chant. Unlike necromancy, this art summons actual souls into the material realm, free of a physical host. There are few known ways to defend against them in such a state. Doing so, unlike necromancy, requires a medium from which these spirits can be summoned.

In most cases the practioner uses his own soul as the medium. By accessing the link with his or her own soul, he or she sort of transforms their own soul into a "gateway" for these spirits to pass through. Doing so mortally wounds the practioner physically and spiritually, and few can maintain this ritual for more than a few moments. In most cases, the action of the spirits returning to their realm through the practitioner's soul can and will kill the practitioner, as they all return at once, overloading the practitioner's soul.

In Phantom's case, he found a way to use other hosts as the medium, as seen when he sacrifices Shadow to summon a small legion of spirits to permanently exist in the mortal realm. I will go into detail with this part when I create a new character to replace Phantom.

Now, as of a few years prior to the RP, the Blade of Heaven and Hell is an outlawed art. That's why Reapers (assassins hired to kill assassins) like Tzerek exist, to eliminate any remaining members of this art. The Reapers I haven't gone in-depth too much, and I'll need to rework them a bit before they're used in the novel, but suffice to say they are trained in an art that is supposed to be able to defeat practitioners of Heaven and Hell. Also, the named Gharab and Tzerek cannot be used as they are from another one of my stories, but the characters themselves can remain, so I'll rename them sometime in the future.

Anyway, give me questions or comments and I'll be happy to answer them.
So it shall be written, and so it shall be done.
Forever Zero
New User
New User

Postby Bread Butterbeard » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:31 pm

I love your idea, it will add much to the novel for certain. My question then is this, How many people are there left who practice this art? and if it was outlawed who did so and who would have thje power to outlaw such a mighty of a group of people?
"The world you know is over Grandmaster Shard, will you stand and fight for your people, or let them slip into darkness?" Tartikoff Greenwood to Brayan James Shard

Fifthwind, Terry Brooks, Legends
Bread Butterbeard
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Forever Zero » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:36 pm

My question then is this, How many people are there left who practice this art?

In the RP, I intended three. Phantom, Shadow, and a character I never revealed, Wraith, who was Phantom's female rival and former fellow student.

and if it was outlawed who did so and who would have thje power to outlaw such a mighty of a group of people?

That's entirely up to you and whoever else is working on the novel. I can give reasons why it was outlawed, but ultimately you're free to decide who outlaws it. EDIT: Actually we could probably work together and integrate the Reapers into this part, since their job is to eliminate practitioners of this art.
Forever Zero
New User
New User

Postby Bread Butterbeard » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:08 pm

Sounds like a plan to me my friend. I guess Nesldin could have outlawed it, I mean i would think thier abilites would be lethal to a Imperator
"The world you know is over Grandmaster Shard, will you stand and fight for your people, or let them slip into darkness?" Tartikoff Greenwood to Brayan James Shard

Bread Butterbeard
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Magus » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:00 pm

"careless, selfish form of magic that brings harm to the balance of living and dead".

No wonder he loved Shabel so much.

:wink:
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Forever Zero » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:03 pm

Sounds good, but anyone care to fill me in on who Nesldin is? I've been out of the loop for quite a while.
Forever Zero
New User
New User

Postby Magus » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:40 pm

From what I know, Neseldin is an ancient Empire, ruled by the oligarchical Imperators, that was defeated countless years ago and is now on the rise again.

Here's what Neurolanis has posted on the Imperators themselves:

IMPERATOR/S: (Also known as the Dark Lords or High Lords.) Great human servants of the Ancients once, who learned of many of their magical secrets. The Imperators betrayed and destroyed their creators, breeding many races of armies to conquer the world. Their plot failed, mostly do to the Gryphons. But these powerful Immortal mages have survived, ruling still in their dark towers of Neseldin. They are plotting to conquer the world once and for all, with a little help from their secret weapon -- the Narcales.
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Forever Zero » Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:05 pm

Alright, I've got a plan. The Reapers and those who command them (who are unknown at this time) are part of the new rising of Neseldin. They are a sort of subsidiary group of the revival, striving to preserve the order and laws Neseldin once set forth; notably laws that were put in place to protect the Imperators from an uprising (notably the outloaw of the Blade of Heaven and Hell, as these practitioners were once a dangerous threat to the Imperators). Eliminating the last of the Blade of Heaven and Hell is the first on their list.

So this actually works out pretty well, because now the Blade of Heaven and Hell and the Reapers are both antagonistic organizations. Note the the Blade of Heaven and Hell was not originally "evil" in any sense of the word, they only strived to preserve the world's balance. This changed when a certain practitioner was born with a more-common-than-usual connection with the land of the dead. He was the first to use "spirit summoning", and one of the few who could sustain it for a long period of time. He used this for his own selfish gain, and was assassinated by his own students as punishment. Phantom, or the character who will replace him, is a descendant of this Heaven and Hell master.
Forever Zero
New User
New User

Postby Bread Butterbeard » Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:04 pm

I like it! it does work well since the story does go on to Nesldin. How many Reapers are there?

Bread Butterbeard
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Forever Zero » Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:22 pm

That I'm not sure about, I'm still working on how the Reapers work. I've decided how they're able to counteract practitioners of Heaven and Hell, but that's about it. Tzerek and Gharab are Reapers, but they'll be renamed soon. I'm not sure if others will be included, so that's up to you guys.

About Reapers:
Reapers are assassins who have bound their soul to a familiar. This is an art form known in the RP as "Zerahiyah-Kaliel", but I need to rename that since I'm using it elsewhere. Reason this is effective against Heaven and Hell is because spirits and souls can only harm someone who has a soul. A Reaper has two "halves" of a soul. The logical, strategic side to him, usually contained in the familiar, and the raw, combat-heavy primal side to him, contained in the assassin itself. Reapers have the ability to "move" their half of their soul into their familiar. Doing so allows the familiar to have control of the soul-less Reaper body. He will still be an effective fighter, but he will have no soul, and is rendered virtually immune to practitioners of Heaven and Hell. The full soul can also be sent to the Reaper. The downside to this is, if either the Reaper or the Familiar is killed, the Reaper "unit" will be rendered useless. This is why in most cases the familiar is a bird or a fast animal able to escape from danger. There was also something about illusions and creating duplicates of oneself that I can't quite remember, so I'll work on that a bit.
Forever Zero
New User
New User

Postby Magus » Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:41 pm

Nice! Very interesting.
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Forever Zero » Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:53 pm

Ok, found out that Tzerek had the ability to make duplicates of objects. Like, temporary duplicates. For instance, he had one knife, but he'd make a temporary "magical" duplicate of it in order to have multiple throwing knives. However, I never thought of an explanation or a reason for this ability, so I'm not sure whether or not to include it.
Forever Zero
New User
New User

Next

Return to Lycoria Discussion