speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

A Mercenary's Journey

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

A Mercenary's Journey

Postby Jack Sarratt » Wed May 17, 2006 7:45 am

A man walked along the worn path in the woods. The man was covered from shoulder to legs in black leather armor with bronze plaques sewed on. He had a pair of kusarigama on his back. His head was uncovered, but there was a bandage running over his mouth and across his right eye. His left sleeve was cut short and there was no glove on his left hand, only his right. He had short brown hair that was almost black, and his visible eye was chocolate brown. He had on black leather boots and a dagger was strapped to the left one. He stood about six feet tall and seemed unaffected by his weapon and armor weight. Few people walked this road, but those who did seemed not to notice him. Or if they did, they were too scared to be near him.

He sighed. What do I do now? I have been trained to hunt all manner of creatures, but I haven't found any work. I suppose being a mercenary would get me the needed funds, but I need to find a team.

The man called Rebunanto shook his head and walked on, oblivious to the world around him.
People say to not judge a book by its cover, but first make sure you picked the right title.
Jack Sarratt
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby Mr_D » Thu May 18, 2006 11:57 am

A lone figure appeared on the road ahead, walking towards Rebunanto at a leisurely pace. He wore a black hakama and men's kimono and his hair was tied loosely in a long ponytail. A katana was thrust through his obi and he walked with a confident, care free stride.
Mr_D
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Jack Sarratt » Thu May 18, 2006 12:05 pm

Rebunanto walked on. He seemed to not notice the stranger, but he tensed slightly, ready to fight or flee if necessary.
People say to not judge a book by its cover, but first make sure you picked the right title.
Jack Sarratt
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby Mr_D » Thu May 18, 2006 12:12 pm

"Excuse me." Ryu stopped and asked the passing traveller. "Would you happen to know where the next town is around here? I appear to have lost my way."
Mr_D
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Jack Sarratt » Thu May 18, 2006 12:16 pm

Rebunanto answered him. "Truthfully, sir, I haven't the slightest idea. Towns and cities mean little to me." He looked at this man. "Sir, could I ask you what business you have there?"
Jack Sarratt
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby Mr_D » Thu May 18, 2006 12:18 pm

"Nothing much, just a down and out ronin looking for work." Ryu answered.
Mr_D
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Jack Sarratt » Thu May 18, 2006 12:24 pm

Well, well. "Sir, I believe we have the same goal. I, too, am in need of work."
Jack Sarratt
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby Mr_D » Thu May 18, 2006 12:28 pm

"So what do you propose?"
Mr_D
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Jack Sarratt » Thu May 18, 2006 12:48 pm

"Well, I am seeking work as a warrior, a shinobi, if you will. And I believe you seek professional work as well. So let us aid each other. At least until we find work. Agreed?"

Rebunanta extended his left hand.
Jack Sarratt
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby Mr_D » Thu May 18, 2006 12:50 pm

"Agreed." Ryu extended his hand out in reply and the two shook.
Mr_D
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Jack Sarratt » Thu May 18, 2006 12:56 pm

As Rebunanta shook hands with the man, he sent a small burst of chakra into the man's palm. Not enough to be noticed or to hurt, but to discern the man's truthfulness. I can't afford another mishap.

"So, what is your name. I am Rebunanta, sometime assassin and mercenary."
Jack Sarratt
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby Mr_D » Thu May 18, 2006 12:59 pm

"Kojiro Ryu, sword for hire." Ryu replied. "Here's a tip though. It'd be best not to go around introducing yourself as an assassin. It's not the most respected of trades."
Mr_D
Resident Author
Resident Author

Next

Return to Lycoria: The Stories