speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

A Mercenary's Journey

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Postby Jack Sarratt » Mon May 22, 2006 8:55 am

Rebunanta made sure his kusarigama were secure against his back, then stepped up to the figure. "I am Rebunanta, a wanderer. We only seek work;" Gesturing, "and this is Ryu, also a wanderer."

"However, don't pretend you will use those unless you're prepared to deal with the consequences." He said, pointing at the blades at the stranger's side.
People say to not judge a book by its cover, but first make sure you picked the right title.
Jack Sarratt
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby Mornara » Mon May 22, 2006 2:17 pm

Alcorlin snorted. "Oh don't worry, I won't pretend." She sheathed her sword and beckoned the men forward. "However, if you seek employment, follow me. The merchants may be able to use you."

She turned and walked back into camp without waiting to see if they followed her.
Ita Est
Mornara
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby Mr_D » Mon May 22, 2006 4:18 pm

Ryu followed wordlessly.
Mr_D
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Jack Sarratt » Mon May 22, 2006 5:25 pm

Rebunanta kept pace with the others, but his mind was elsewhere.

Why did those undead attack? I haven't exactly been seeking Domon or Derval, so why now? I had better figure this out before I get held down here with Ryu and the merchants. As soon as the chance comes, I'll slip away. I don't need to drag them into this.
People say to not judge a book by its cover, but first make sure you picked the right title.
Jack Sarratt
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby Mr_D » Tue May 23, 2006 9:47 am

Ryu glanced around at the camp. Everything seemed fairly ordinary at first, though there was tension in the air. Some of the merchants and other residents gave them suspicious looks as they apssed, though they averted their eyes when Ryu looked their way.
Mr_D
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Jack Sarratt » Tue May 23, 2006 5:22 pm

Rebunanta saw that the stranger was leading them to a large tent situated in the center of the camp. It was obvious these merchants were naturally suspicious of outsiders, but then he expected looks directed to himself. As the stranger brought them into the tent, Rebunanta saw a very well-fed individual counting money on a small work table. Not surprising. Merchants always did like to count their money. Greedy fools, but he had to ignore his personal opinions for the moment.

Wait...Was that a figure in the shadows near the entrance? Rebunanta had to be sure, but he didn't want to spook his possible employer.
Jack Sarratt
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby Mornara » Tue May 23, 2006 10:29 pm

"These men seek employment." Alcorlin's words were abrupt and cold, and the merchant looked at her with an unmistakable leer. She snarled slightly and turned away, leaving the other two mercenaries to the dubious mercies of the merchant, and headed back out of camp to make sure that what ever the travelors had been fighting was not still snooping around.
Ita Est
Mornara
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby Jack Sarratt » Thu May 25, 2006 6:41 pm

"I trust you have work for us? If not, we'll just be moving on." Rebunanta didn't want to offend the portly man, but he was in a hurry. He also wanted to have a talk with that camp guard who left in such a rude manner.

"I may 'ave somethin' 'vailable. Tell me, wha' do you want as payment?" The merchant's little eyes seemed to leer at Ryu as he spoke. "If ya want, you can just leave, but yer quiet friend there might be able to offer somethin' for his...services...." The little man's eyes kept staring at Ryu. This guy must be some kind of weirdo. Rebunanta debated on just killing him and trying to lose Ryu somewhere else.

"Let me talk to my friend someplace else. In private." Rebunanta stared with his eye at the man until he left reluctantly. "Alright. From what I've seen there are only two options. One. I leave and you stick around fending off that guy. Or two. You and I leave and find another settlement that needs guards or work or something. That camp guard didn't seem too happy with the leader, so perhaps she would like to join us. Your choice, Ryu."
Jack Sarratt
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby Mr_D » Thu May 25, 2006 6:43 pm

"Whatever. Can't say I'm too keen on staying around with that guy for too long." Ryu replied, shouldering his katana.
Mr_D
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Jack Sarratt » Thu May 25, 2006 6:46 pm

"Well then, let's go find that guard." As he passed out, Rebunanta saw the merchant leader running away from a well-armed man in only his pants. Idiot. Should learn to control his sickness. Needless to say, Rebunanta hurried on to where the guard was last.

They saw her walking around the clearing where they had first encountered the undead creatures. "Hey, can we have a word with you?"
Jack Sarratt
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby Mornara » Thu May 25, 2006 9:20 pm

"As a matter of fact, I also need to speak with you. But I would not have what needs to be said overheard, I know a place where we can talk in private. Follow me."

Alcorlin led them to a small clearing well away from the camp, where 3 horses were grazing together. "We will be undisturbed here. What do you want?"
Ita Est
Mornara
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby Jack Sarratt » Fri May 26, 2006 5:18 pm

"For starters, your name." Rebunanta watched the shadows carefully, afraid the figure in the tent might have followed them. He saw nothing, but then he wasn't exactly sure what he was looking for. "I don't want to seem rude, but I think you might need to explain yourself first, then we'll talk."
Jack Sarratt
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Lycoria: The Stories