speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

The Threads of Fate

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Re: The Threads of Fate

Postby Ariel » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:55 pm

"In our travels we have come upon a great mystery. Some of us are in possesion of mysterious gems that hold powers of which we know nothing about. There is a great evil and danger in the world and we believe the gems can be used to stop it." Ladarious sighed. "There is a certain witch we must reach who is in possesion of one of the gems. It is there we must journey next."

Anyanna looked at the men. "We could use both your services if you have a mind to fight for what is right. The dangers are great, but the rewards are even greater in victory over darkness.
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Talon Sinnah » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:01 pm

"Darkness will always rise once again but I will do what I can too stifle it."
I am the poet of the body and I am the poet of the Soul. The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are with me. The first I graft and increase upon myself, the latter I translate into a new tongue.

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby Loxley » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:04 pm

"That's why we're here." Arden said with a wry smile behind the cloth covering his face. "Besides, if we're lucky, it might even be fun." He seemed to have forgotten his lack of a left arm because of "fun". Then he suddenly remembered something, and said: "Forgive me, friends. But I just remembered, I promised someone I'd meet them when we got here. I'll won't be long." With that, he bowed, and disappeared into the crowd, moving towards the nearest tavern.
Celtic - An alternate history RP

Loxley's blog

"A man must do two things in life - love women, and pay back his friends." Ryo Saeba, City Hunter
Loxley
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby t_tibke » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:57 am

"Ahhh," said Galfimas slowly, "those gems. I have come across some small writings on the subject in my studies. It does not speak much in specifics, but it does say they hold great power." He ended, glancing down at one of his satchels at his tomes.
T_Tibke
t_tibke
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ariel » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:59 am

"Tell us what you remember exactly." Ladarious felt that any clue, no matter how small might be vital. "Where did you read of it galfimus?"

Anyanna added her voice to the conversation of men. "How do you know that the source speaks the truth?"
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby t_tibke » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:17 pm

"I caution you that the tale seems rather incomplete in its telling," said Galfimas, folding his arms but leaning upon his staff. "In short," he began, "in a time long passed, there were a band of travelers not unlike ourselves, who entered in and abouts the area of the Tombs of Orceth -- the script does not say precisely. There they were betrayed by one of their own, and some type of confrontation forced a pair of brothers -- who's names were also not listed -- used the jewels to merge themselves, or the gems forced them to merge somehow; again, not clear. It seems some bard wrote the script and was either not entirely sane, or had far too much ale for one individual."

Galfimas shifted, studying the wizard. "The name of the fused individual was stated to be: Shabel-Rae, and to save the life of one of his companions, it is said a shard of the jewel was placed inside that companion's body. It makes no mention of who that individual may be though, nor whether he or she might be now... or even whether he or she survived. I am sorry, but that is all that I have gathered thus far. My studies have been more focused on demonology and this only touched upon that foul topic."
T_Tibke
t_tibke
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ariel » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:54 pm

The wizard scratched his beard and narrowed his eyes. "I'm afraid that the words of a drunken bard is of no use to us." Ladarious paused for a moment before speaking again. "Unless...as drunken bards sometimes do...some truths spill forth that never should have come forth." He shook his head. "Bah, we still have so little to go on." He sighed deeply.
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby t_tibke » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:49 am

"True, true words indeed," said Galfimas sighing. "Still, perhaps a second look at the writing might reveal something? As I said, it was something I merely came across in my own studies. Nevertheless, I have it here.

"It will soon be time to rest in any case, so let us make came and see what we shall see -- shall we?"
T_Tibke
t_tibke
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ariel » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:24 pm

"We shall indeed friend." Ladarious went to the edge of the woods, stooped down, and gathered twigs and small branches for the fire.
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Mr_D » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:20 pm

Nero wandered the camp for some time before coming to the large, central tent. A long queue of people stretched as far as the eye could see. Poor, wretched looking souls with tattered and dirty clothes, whatever belongings they could muster carried in sacks beside them and on their backs. There was an air of despair all around that made Nero's heart ache. These were the living casualties of war. Mothers clung to children and in some tragic cases, those children were no longer in the land of the living, their parents too distraught to part with their young ones even in death. making his way inside the tent Nero found himself confronted by a weary looking woman dressed in white.

"If you're here to register you'll have to line up with everyone else." She sighed sternly. Her proud face was lined with worry and stress. Nero raised his hands.

"Ah, actually I'm here to help. I heard about the camp here and I was wondering if there wasanythign I could do." He explained. "I'm a doctor, you see." He rubbed the back of his neck nervously.
Mr_D
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Loxley » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:36 am

Arden entered a tavern, or a tent that was supposed to serve as a tavern, followed by his brother. They stopped in the entrance for a moment, before a group of elves and a human or two sitting around a table caught their eyes. Arden walked up to the group, and sat down, without revealing his face. He said: "I'm glad you are all here." One of the elves, a young man with a sharp appearance, long, flowing blond hair, and a face covered with tattoos, but with somewhat rash, impatient eyes, looked to Arden, and, like the rest of them, stared at the short stump where his arm used to be. Arden followed their eyes, and grimaced under the cloth covering his face.

"An unfortunate price I had to pay." He said with a low voice. "Don't worry. I can still fight." None of them had any doubt of that. Arden continued: "I've been travelling with a company of adventurers. They are making their way to find a series of gems of magical purpose, it seems, and I have decided to help them. At the same time there is the bothersome rumors of trouble in the North. Our own forces are divided between Lycoria, the returning forces from Merolder, and those remaining in Kuthersia. We're not at capacity to fight a war at this time."
"Why don't we try out our new spy master?" A dashing young wood elf asked, turning a wry smile at Arden's brother. He had a sharp face, and long, flowing blond hair that accompanied his cold, almost icy blue eyes. Wearing entirely black, his hands never left the two slender longswords on his hips. Around his neck hung a red ruby in a simple leather strap, and under it he carried an elegantly made elven chainmail.
"Agreed." Arden said. "I'm sure you are all aware of the events that have happened lately. Between Silke's death because of my failure to protect her, these adventurers, and the appearance of the magical gems, it cannot be a coincidence. I'm sending my brother ahead of me, to Moroca. He knows the territory there, and will gather intelligence before our arrival. Not of the gems - that is not our job. I have sworn to protect these people, not to help them save the world." He gave a wry smile. "Instead you will get a feel for the resistance we'll face there. And also find an old friend of mine. I'll talk with you about that later. Take a score of your men with you. They're travelling with the 2nd division right now, in the form of gypsies. Look around the camp and you should find them."
His eyes wandered to the blond elf, and he continued:
"Dante. If I could, I would request that your division would come with us as an ensurance. But since we rely on being unseen, it's better not to. Instead, your men will lie in wait here in the refugee camps, waiting. Put your sergeants in charge. You will then travel with me to Moroca. The same goes for you, Riza." His eyes went to a female human, a woman of great beauty, and with cherry-blond hair and blue eyes. Despite her beauty, however, there was no doubt she was more than capable of using the sword resting on her hips. She was, in fact, Arden's loyal bodyguard and friend. His words made her lean on his shoulder and hug his arm affectionately.
"Oh, I knew you loved me, Captain."
The elves laughed. Arden grimaced, slightly uncomfortable.

"Good." He finally said. "Between the three of us, and any information Greyhawk and his spies can pick up for us in Moroca, we are more than capable of aiding these adventurers. Now, before I return to my duties, I would like to have a word with my men. Dante. Show me the way." The four rose and left the table, leaving the rest of the men behind, and went outside.

They walked for a while, until they came to a part of the camp where gypsies resided. There was at least three hundred of them, and all of them were of elven heritage. What a careful look revealed was that all also carried weapons and chainmails, but only a professional would have seen through their disguise. Arden spent a few minutes talking with some of the men, even taking one up on an offer of a glass of wine together, before he had to return to his group. With that, he took his leave, and followed by the beautiful woman and the sharp-featured elf, he soon returned to the centre of the refugee camps, where he found his group.

"I have sent my brother ahead of us." He explained with a bow. "This gentleman, and this lovely woman are Dante and Riza, my personal bodyguards. I hope you'll excuse the arrogance of my decision to bring them with us without asking you, but I have high hopes they will be very useful." Riza leaned on his shoulder, and looked at him sourly:
"Now, now, that's no way to talk about a beautiful woman like me, is it, Captain? You seem a bit stiff. Should I rub your shoulders?" Before he could even reply, she stepped behind him and began to rub his shoulders without invitation. Arden almost cried out loud as he stepped away, and hastily said:
"No, thank you very much, that's quite alright, Riza. These Lycorians aren't as understanding as I am." Riza pouted at his words, seemingly disappointed.
"Ohhh...? I can't wait until we get back to Kuthersia then, Captain..." She snuggled up to him, again causing Arden to take a leap backwards in surprise and horror, looking around nervously to make sure nobody that shouldn't - Anyanna - saw her behavior and misunderstood it. Dante stepped forth then, and gave a slight, albeit unentusiastic bow to the group:
"I am Dante." He said shortly. "I have also been ordered to travel with you as well." He didn't seem to enjoy the task, but he didn't refuse his Captain either. "I don't particularly enjoy travelling with adventurers. But if it's my order, then I will obey my captain."
Arden exhaled. He was already starting to regret his decision to bring the two.
Celtic - An alternate history RP

Loxley's blog

"A man must do two things in life - love women, and pay back his friends." Ryo Saeba, City Hunter
Loxley
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ariel » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:01 am

The fire was started for their camp and fallen tree branches and large rocks were used to sit upon. Some preferred to sit on the ground. Ladarious eyed Arden and the new-comers. "Arden has proved himself as a loyal member of this group. If he has chosen the two of you to aid us, then I will respect that decision." He paused and looked at Dante intently. Anyone not proving themselves worthy will be met with repercussions." The wizard adjusted his cloak that had bunched up beneath him. "Our decisions are made together as a group. We look after our fellow companions at all times. Anyone who protests my decision is free to speak and will be heard."

Anyanna couldn't believe her eyes. Obviously this Riza was Arden's lover. Her expression belied her jelousy. She would not allow him the satisfaction of knowing her true feelings. She should have listened to her instincs all along. Arden was a ladies man and not one to make commitments with any one woman. Though her heart was filled with disappointment and sadness, she introduced herself as though nothing had happened.

Treya flew up to Arden and landed gracefully upon his broad shoulders. "I'd keep an eye on that Dante if I were you. The only reason he is here is because you told him to be." She wagged her finger at Dante. "I don't trust you, not for one minute. I will be keeping my eye on you!" She then looked at Riza. "And you...you had better pay attention because this is a dangerous journey. There is no time for a love fest here!"
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

PreviousNext

Return to Lycoria: The Stories