speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

The Threads of Fate

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Re: The Threads of Fate

Postby Loxley » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:05 pm

Arden shook his head at Treya's words, and began to protest:
"Hey, we're not..." Before he could finish the protest, however, Riza again snuggled up to him with a playfully disappointed expression:

"Oh, don't be so cold, Captain... After all the battles we've been through together..." Arden placed his face in his palm, and cursed his own decision to bring his female bodyguard. Though she meant no harm, Riza's playfully flirting behavior was already giving the group the wrong idea. He had lived with it for a long time, even gotten used to it, but at this time it was about as welcome as a kick in the groin. Riza smiled at the pixie, and exclaimed: "What a cute little fairie... And you don't have to worry. I am more than capable of protecting my darling from harm. As for a love fest, I'm sure my Captain would not mind it." As she said that, she again hugged his remaining arm eagerly, winking to him.
Arden turned, and spoke to the whole group:

"Forgive my companions' lack of etiquette. We are quite a relaxed circle of friends in my band, and it may have had certain unwanted side-effects when it comes to socializing with outsiders. Let me assure you, however, that both of them are both skilled and loyal servants of mine. Despite Dante's slightly gruff appearance, he is as capable and loyal as any of my men. And despite Riza's seemingly flippant attitude..."

"You're so cruel, Captain! Using a girl's love for her Captain like this..." Again, she hugged him tightly, pressing her considerable bosom against his arm and shoulder without blushing. Arden let out a sigh, and finished his sentence with his hand in his face, trying not to look at Anyanna, as he was certain that if looks could kill, he would be a dead elf by now...

"...despite this, she is a very capable bodyguard. I owe her my life more times than I can ever hope to repay her, and I assure you she will be as useful a part of this group as me." Dante bowed again.
"I may have drawn unintended suspicion on myself. Let me clarify my position. My loyalty lies undevotedly with my captain. As long as he's loyal to your cause, so am I. But I will not pretend to be eager about joining forces with adventurers." He bowed once more before he moved away from the group to sit by a smaller campfire. Arden turned to Riza and said:

"Keep an eye on him. Make sure he doesn't get into any fights with the refugees." Riza pouted.
"I wanted to be with you, Captain. It's been so long since I last saw you..."

Her finger wandered up his chest playfully. Arden waved her off with a sigh, and as she disappointedly left to join Dante, he moved up to the fire and sat down next to Anyanna. He didn't say much, only three words, before he got up and left again. "Don't be jealous", was all he said, ending the short sentence with a warm smile. He wasn't even certain that she was jealous, though he had caught a slight glimmer in her eyes that he had interpreted as that. When he had uttered the words, he again got up, and moved over to his two bodyguards at the distant fire. He sat down with them, and took a bottle of wine that Riza offered him:
"Thanks." He said. He drank some wine, and leaned against a tree stem, letting out a sigh. Riza looked over at him.

"How are you feeling, Captain?" Her flippant attitude from before was gone. "You've been through a lot. Between Silke's death, and the loss of your arm..." Arden waved dismissively, though his exhausted stare up at the stars revealed he was indeed exhausted. She moved up behind him, and again, this time seriously, started to massage his shoulders. He took off his heavy chainmail, and leaned back, trying to forget everything, closing his eyes and exhaled while drinking some more wine. It felt good being among his men again; though he enjoyed the company of the adventurers, there was a special bond between him and the soldiers of Bregan Savant. He felt safe when he was among his men, and he could relax.

"Let's just say, it's going to be nice to be back in Kuthersia once this is over with." He said. His eyes drifted to Anyanna over by the fire, and he added: "There's a reason I'm still travelling with this group, however. There's a very pretty elf that I don't want to see getting harmed in the battles that lie ahead." Riza followed his eyes to the young elven maiden.

"She's pretty." She said. Arden nodded.
"Yeah. The problem is my rather unsavory reputation among women." Riza let out a bright laugh.
"It's not like you have earned it, is it?" Arden joined her with a dry laugh.

"Captain, you should get some rest for now." Dante interjected. "I don't trust your travelling companions, but me and Riza will watch your back while you sleep. You will need your rest if you are to work with these adventurers, I'm certain." Arden looked over at him, and gave a short nod, while Riza was still rubbing his shoulders.
"Don't be too harsh on them. I trust them." He said, as he closed his eyes, and soon drifted into the comfortable warmth of sleep, still with his back and head in Riza's lap. As he fell asleep, Riza placed a thick fur over him, and moved closer to the fire.
Celtic - An alternate history RP

Loxley's blog

"A man must do two things in life - love women, and pay back his friends." Ryo Saeba, City Hunter
Loxley
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Ariel » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:33 pm

Anyanna was livid. How could he play two women against each other? Certainly that was what he was doing. Wasn't it? Of course it was. How could she have been so foolish? How could she have allowed herself to fall so fast and hard for such a man? When she casually glanced over at them, Arden was asleep in the other woman's lap. She needed some space and time to clear her head. There would be no sleeping anytime soon.

walking along the edge of the woods, she tried not to look at the devestated and exhausted refugees. Too much had happened and she was overwhelmed by it all. Her keen hearing picked up a sound just beyond the trees. Someone or something was lurking. Cautiously she stepped into the woods. There was a silence, like the lurking something knew she was coming and did not wish to be revealed. Then again the sound of breaking twigs. She drew her sword slowly from its' scabbard and continued on. Suddenly a long white snout poked out from behind the pines. It was Night Star, her beloved horse of many years.

Anyanna let out a deep sigh of relief. "I should have known dear friend that you would not abandon me in my darkest hours. She jumped up into the saddle and together they galloped away. The cool air in her face was exhilerating. The elvan maiden didn't know where they would go or for how long, but for now the night and freedom were all their own.
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Talon Sinnah » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:36 pm

Once again Daru sat at a small fire by-himself. A small squirrel roasting on the fire and a cool glass of wine comforted him and reminded him of a life he once lived. Earlier in the night he had saw a "gypsie" polishing a rather decadent short sword and another pulling his cloaks collar togeher to hide the chain mail underneath. Still unsure of what all that ment he decided to keep it too himself deciding that it was better to hush up then to fight at this moment. Testing the squirrel with his dagger made his face twist in disappointment when it showed him it was not done.
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby Loxley » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:49 pm

Arden woke up when the morning light hit his face and stunned his eyes. He sat up, stretched his back, and yawned. A few paces away around the now dead fire, Dante and Riza both lay still asleep. Arden gave them a wry smile before he got up and dressed, strapping his elfblades to his hips as he did. He quickly tied the scarf around his face when he was dressed, and took out some bread and fried chicken to eat for breakfast. He swallowed it down with some elven wine. He threw a quick glance over to the larger camp while he was eating, and saw that the white horse belonging to Anyanna had returned.

When he was done with his breakfast he walked up to the horse, and reached out to pat it on the mule.
"I'd appreciate it if you put in a good word for me with your owner." He whispered to the horse with a grin as he caressed the beautiful horse. Stepping back a step, he then whispered, whispering to not wake the group up, in awe: "You truly are a beautiful and graceful animal." He pulled off some dried grass, feeding the horse as he continued to pat its mule.

Finally, he left the horse, returned to the small campfire and sat down there to light a pipe of weed while waiting for the group to awaken.

(OOC: I assumed that Anyanna didn't stay out all night. If I was wrong let me know and I'll change it, Ariel. )

Loxley's blog

"A man must do two things in life - love women, and pay back his friends." Ryo Saeba, City Hunter
Loxley
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ariel » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:11 pm

Anyanna awoke to the sun streaming through the branches of the trees. She felt as though she hadn't slept at all. Wearily she walked around the camp trying to wake up as best she could. In the near distance she spied Arden petting the stalion. She watched in silence as he spoke to the horse and her heart stirred. She looked down, afraid to watch any longer lest her heart break. She had been alone for so long, sworn off love after falling for a dark elf and saw no future there. What was love anyway but a deep longing for something you could never keep. It seemed to Anyanna that men had different ideas and theories. They could not share their lives with any one woman. Did they not see that women were a precious gift? She shook her head of the thoughts and turned them to other matters.

The elvan maiden walked over to the wizard and gently woke him. "Ladarious, it is morn. We should gather our companions and be on our way." He awoke with a start. "Oh, oh yes." He rubbed his eyes and sat up. "Let's spread the word."

Treya fought her way out of the tangle of long white hair. "I'm here and ready."
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Talon Sinnah » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:02 pm

Pack on his left shoulder and squirrel on a stick in his hand Daru walks into camp looking for his new traveling partners. Still aching from the lycan fight and the trek to the refugee camp he felt as if he had not slept well. At least the fire had went out before it burned what he thought was going to be his dinner. Seeing the mercenary leader standing feeding a horse Daru walks slowly up to him.

"Mornin Arden."
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby Loxley » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:10 pm

Arden turned around at the sound of the approaching man, and gave a smile, pointing at him casually.
"Mornin'. You're Daru, right? Take a seat, grab some breakfast." He offered some of the bread and dried meat and other food that he carried with him, as well as a bottle of elven wine. He gestured towards his two still sleeping bodyguards, and said: "This here is Riza and Dante. They'll be travelling with us from now on. They're my bodyguards, if you can believe that." He kicked Dante in the side, and said: "Oi, get up now, will you? You too!" He added towards Riza, though he didn't dare to kick her.

Riza sat up and yawned.
"Mornin', Captain." She said. She then looked up at the other man, and gave a smile: "Good morning. I don't think we've met." She held out her delicate hand. "I'm Riza."

Dante stretched, let out a single yawn, strapped on his weapons, and then, ignoring the newcomer, said:
"I'll take a look around the area and make sure it's safe, Captain." With that, he bowed, and melted into the underbrush of the surrounding tree groves.

"That would be Dante." Arden added with an apologetic smile. "He's not very sociable, but he's loyal to the death."

Loxley's blog

Loxley
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Talon Sinnah » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:23 pm

"Pleasure to meet you Riza." Daru made note of how much strenght this lady probably had. "I can understand not being sociable. My name is Daru m'lady." As far as breakfast goes I got mine. I will however take a drink of your wine though." Accepting it gratfully Daru took a drink to wash part of his breakfast down.
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby Loxley » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:36 pm

Arden's eyes drifted off to the elven woman over by the larger campfire, and he looked to Riza and Daru, and said: "Excuse me. I'll be right back." With that, he got up and left the two, approaching Anyanna. Riza chuckled slightly to herself, as she watched him leave, leaning in far too close to Daru, seemingly oblivious of that fact, and said:
"The poor Captain seem to be in love." She then turned her attention away from her Captain, to Daru, and asked, clinging slightly on his shoulder as she did: "What about you? Why are you here? Are you too a mercenary? You know, if you're interested, I'm sure we'd have a position for someone like you in Bregan Savant." She said it almost as an afterthought. "The Captain is always looking for good fighters to join the band."

Arden reached Anyanna, and gave a smile.
"Good morning, milady." He gave her one of his characteristic deep bows, and continued: "Would you like to join us and share breakfast with me? The food tastes so much better when you share it with friends and loved ones." He said it casually, but with a smile on his face. "And I enjoy your company far more than that of Dante." He added with a melodramatic sigh. "Our conversations usually tend to be a one-sided and not very interesting affair. I find talking to you much more pleasant."

Loxley's blog

Loxley
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ariel » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:07 pm

"That is kind of you Arden, but...I...ate earlier." Ladarious chuckled to himself at the cold tone of Anyanna's voice. He suspected Anyanna was jelous of the new woman. "Arden, would you be so kind to tell the others we will be leaving soon? After you have eaten of course."
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Loxley » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:18 pm

Arden winced at the cold tone of the elven lady, and gave another, almost apologetic bow.
"As you wish." He sighed, again overly melodramatic, though that was only to hide his disappointment and dismay over her sudden coldness. "Though the food will taste bitter without your company, I'm sure. Please, if you change your mind, do come over." He gave a short nod to Ladarious, and then left them, returning to the group. As he sat down, Riza gave a chuckle at his expression, still clinging without being bothered by it to Daru's shoulder, and said:

"Love trouble, Captain?" Arden gave her a killing glare, and muttered something inaudible, though far from flattering, about his female bodyguard, before adding with a voice that made an effort to sound light and cheerful:

"We leave after we have finished eating. My friends, we are going to Moroca, the home of the Dark Elves. Long have I wished to see the city in which my brother was raised. It shall be an interesting journey, but the destination even more so I'm sure. It is one of the few countries where agents of mine run thin and grow long inbetween. We shall find no allies in that city..." He sipped some of his wine thoughtfully. Riza's eyes caught a glimmer in his, and then her eyes drifted off thoughtfully towards the elven woman. She made a mental note to have a talk with her when there was time away from her captain.

Loxley's blog

Loxley
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ariel » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:24 pm

She wanted to cry and scolded herself silently for being so weak. Ladarious could see through the silence and gently took her hand. "Time has a way of working things out dear one. Things arn't always as they seem." With a wink he let go of her hand and ate the rest of his breakfast.

Treya flew to Anyanna and kissed her cheek. The elvan maiden spoke not a word. Gathering her belongings she walked over to Night Star and stroked the beautiful creature lovingly.
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

PreviousNext

Return to Lycoria: The Stories