speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

The Threads of Fate

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Re: The Threads of Fate

Postby Loxley » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:13 am

When Arden was done with his breakfast, he stood up. Dante returned, as if he had been waiting for that moment, and gave a short nod to his Captain. Arden strapped on his slender elven chainmail, covering it with a green, sleeveless tunic and a cloak that protected from the cold winds. Finally he gathered his items and belongings in a leather backpack and threw it over his shoulder.

"And so we leave." He said to himself. "For Moroca."
Celtic - An alternate history RP

Loxley's blog

"A man must do two things in life - love women, and pay back his friends." Ryo Saeba, City Hunter
Loxley
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Ariel » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:42 pm

Some of the companions were slow to get going until Ladarious gave the ultimatum of moving ahead or staying behind. Finally, they all gathered together and were off. Spring was near and Anyanna couldn't help but to notice some greenery pushing up through the earth. Even the bare trees were beginning to bud. It was relatively quiet along the path, except for the occasional squirell scurrying about and the call of crows high in the tree tops. She paused for a moment to admire a graceful deer with her fawn eating fallen apples upon the ground.

Treya kept asking people if they had seen the gnome Neegle anywhere, as she had not seen him in some time. She was worried and didn't know what had become of her new friend.
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Loxley » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:20 am

Arden, in company of Dante, left the group to scout ahead. With a longbow in his hand and a quiver full of well-made arrows on his back, with Dante by his side, he ran across the beautiful countryside at a steady pace. The wind fluttered in his hair, and all around him signs of the coming spring were clear. The fresh, cool air felt cold in his lungs, but the warmth of the sun burnt his skin pleasantly. He didn't tire, as any elf could run for days at a time, and Arden enjoyed the freedom of a scout too much to be burdened down by fatigue. From time to time he stopped and studied the tracks of the road to make sure nothing hostile was in the surroundings. But he quickly picked up his run again and kept going.

At noon they reached a clear spring, where the elves stopped and refilled their water bags. Arden sat down and drank for a while and ate some food. Dante ate and drank while he stood up, his hand never leaving his blade and his eyes never ceasing to scout his surroundings. After they had refilled their rumbling bellies, the two again picked up the run, keeping a steady but not increasing distance between them and the rest of the caravan. If any enemies showed up, they would backtrack, but it was far more likely that they would first be attacked - or see tracks from the enemy to warn them.

The two spotted some orcs move in the distance, but they moved away from the road on which the caravan travelled, and so posed no threat to the two, nor the group. Arden still watched them from a tree, with a glimmer of dislike. There were many orc groups around in the region these days. It could be a sign of things to come, or just the border guards of Lycoria being lax. Still, the orcs disappeared in the distance, and the elves took up their scouting pace.

Back by the caravan, Briza had rejected Arden's offer to go with the two. When they left, she smiled to herself as she approached the elven woman. She hugged her tightly from behind without hesitation, and let out a cheerful: "Hello, sister!" She winked to the elf, and took up a spot beside her. "I just thought we girls should stick together and be friends." She touched her cheek thoughtfully, and added, while throwing a sly wink towards Anyanna: "The Captain went ahead to scout the surroundings with Dante. Now...tell me, sister..." She continued while eagerly moving closer to the elf.

"What do you think of him? The Captain I mean? You know, back where we come from there's about three hundred female elven soldiers of our band all chasing after him, trying to win his heart, but he keeps all of them on an arm's length. He doesn't open up for anyone. Not even me." She pouted sourly. "Can you believe that he'd turn down a gorgeous lady like me?" She shook her head, seemingly depressed, as if he'd broken her heart. "So now you know for certain, he's an idiot." She winked at Anyanna. "But he's a romantic idiot. That affair he had with King Gunther's queen, well, let's just say he was prepared to duel the king to the death for her sake. It was more than rumor has it. He loved her." She let out a serious sigh.

"Things didn't turn out like they should, though. King Gunther didn't kill him. He killed her instead, and tried to have Arden executed. Arden never really forgave himself for that. He still hasn't." She looked at Anyanna. "Don't let his reputation fool you." She was about to leave the elf alone, but then remembered something, and added: "You know what he told me when I asked why he stayed with this group even though it didn't pay anything? He said, 'There's a very pretty elf that I don't want to see getting harmed in the battles that lie ahead.' Guess who he was talking about?"

Again, she hugged the elf tightly, with a smile from behind, before slipping back to her position in the caravan.

Loxley's blog

"A man must do two things in life - love women, and pay back his friends." Ryo Saeba, City Hunter
Loxley
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Mr_D » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:30 am

Through the night Nero had tended to the wounded and ill. The experience had drained him and several times he had nearly collapsed. All around him he saw only misery and suffering. Staunching the wounded chest of one soldier, he called for help as the other missionaries hurried around him in chaos. There were simply too many for them to treat. Nero felt the man's life ebb slowly as his thrashing and struggling weakened until eventually only a cold stillness remained. Nero sunk back from the bed in defeat, blinking back tears. It was no good. The people here were beyond his help. Plague and famine were devastating the refugees and the injured troops from the nearby battlefields were often so badly wounded that death was the only release for them.

Nero trudged wearily through the camps, his clothes stained and smeared with blood, his eyes dark and sunken from many streeful hours without sleep. That was when he saw it. A ditch scored deep into the earth just beyond the main camp. Bodies lined the pit, placed in hasty but respectful rest, their arms crossed about their chests as though in rest. But their faces, their faces were still twisted in fresh agony as though they still cried out for help. Help that would never come. This was where they lay their dead. With no relatives to bury them and with the missionaries time so consumed with saving those who still lived the dead were consigned here. Nero felt a strange sensation building in his chest. Pain like a stabbing at his heart. A lump in his throat and a burning in his eyes.

So he ran. A sprint that carried him beyond the fields of the dead until finally he collapsed by the roadside. The darkness and the rain of the early morning no longer bothered him, so consumed by grief that he felt a numbness wash over him. Sheltering under a tree Nero could no longer old back the tears and he wept. As daybreak came Nero looked up to the horizon. But the light of day brought him no comfort.
Mr_D
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Talon Sinnah » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:53 am

" I am an assassin for the dark elves of Moroca if you must know. As far as working for your mercenary band, it is unlikely." Daru traded small talk with the woman for a bit then moved on with the caravan. Shouldering his pack he trudged along the side of the road alone.

For a bit of amusement he pulled free is panther hilted dagger and began twirling it in his left hand.
I am the poet of the body and I am the poet of the Soul. The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are with me. The first I graft and increase upon myself, the latter I translate into a new tongue.

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby Ariel » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:01 pm

Anyanna couldn't help but to smile at the other woman. It felt good to be called sister. And Arden...wasn't in love with Riza. She watched as the other woman went to her post still smiling.

She then watched as Daru spun the interesting dagger. Stepping over to him she made conversation. "That sure is a beauty you have there. I've never seen one quite like it. Tell me Daru, have you seen Nero anywhere, or the little gnome?"
Last edited by Ariel on Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Loxley » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:50 am

Dante stopped, and crouched by the body. He let out a whistle to his Captain, who stopped, turned around and approached. His steps quickened when he recognized the blood-soaked body, and he crouched next to the young human, grabbing his shoulders. "Hey, you alive? What in God's name happened to you?" He dropped his longbow, and took out a leather bag with water, pouring some down Nero's throat. As he did, he searched for wounds, but found none. "Have you been fighting?" He asked with a frown as the young man opened his eyes and looked at him with a distant gaze in his eyes.

(OOC: Sorry, I made a mistake; Arden's female bodyguard is named Riza, not Briza. I don't know what I was thinking of when I wrote the last post. Must've been drunk or something.)

Loxley's blog

Loxley
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Talon Sinnah » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:12 pm

"Thank you and sorry I have not seen them in some time now."
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby t_tibke » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:50 pm

In a sullen mood ever since he sat down with Ladarious the previous night and fell asleep before he could even begin his research, Galfimas wandered along amidst the banter and noise of the camp. He followed the others, but he made little effort to interact with them.

Then it was that he came upon Nero and the newcomer, Dante it was.

"Goodness," he muttered to himself. "Is there anything I might do?"
T_Tibke
t_tibke
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Loxley » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:07 pm

Arden looked up at the approach of the man, and then back down to Nero. Dante just gave the newcomer a cold side-glance. But after a short while, Arden replied with a shake of his head. "Our friend isn't wounded. He's covered in someone else's blood it seems." He let out a short laugh. "You really gave me a fright there, friend. Still, you probably should clean up by the next river we cross." He helped Nero on his feet, and then turned to Dante. "We're going."

With that, the two again left and headed forward to scout ahead.

Loxley's blog

Loxley
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby t_tibke » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:42 pm

Galfimas narrowed his eyes, as though he was unpleased with the "little trick", he would've called it.

"Yes," he agreed, "you'd best clean up, before you attract some vampire or demon or some other such blaspheme."

He looked up in the distance for a moment, looked back down to Arden and Nero, and then proceeded onward.
T_Tibke
t_tibke
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Mr_D » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:36 am

Nero looked up at the group as they stood over him in concern. He couldn't bring himself to verbalise his thoughts, he could barly describe them to himself. He shrugged off Arden's hands as the man hlped him to the river. A bitter frown on his face he stalked off in the direction the group was headed. He knew no what he had to do, what was truly at stake. He couldn't save these people, but if he could stop it from happening again. If he could end war and violence, perhaps then...

"Come on. We've got no time to lose."
Mr_D
Resident Author
Resident Author

Previous

Return to Lycoria: The Stories