The Threads of Fate

Moderator: Bmat

Loxley
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Loxley »

Arden was on his way back to the small camp, when he began to feel it as if someone was watching him. That made him suddenly change his course through the underbrush, and with his hand on his elfblade, leaped through a few bushes, taking cover behind a tree, and at the same time drawing his elfblade. His teeth gritted, and his muscles ready for combat, he looked around...

...and almost dropped his sword in surprise.
About five feet away sat a dark elf in dark chainmails, sitting on a large rock in a relaxed position and with a pair of short swords on his hips. He was smiling, but his red eyes did not smile, instead radiating deadly determination. "Hello, captain.", he said, with the same false smile.

Arden reacted by crack-opening his eyes, and instantly assuming a battle position, readying himself for the fight of his lifetime, even going so far as to feel his heart pump faster. But the dark elf raised a hand, and said: "Don't even think about it, captain. If you touch me, you will regret it." Arden's muscles stiffened just slightly, and, still shocked over finding the dark elf in the middle of nowhere - though he had certainly had a way with magic in the past - frowned.

"What are you talking about? I thought I killed you back in the war, you dog..." The dark elf took a deep breath and shook his head.
"You really don't get it, do you?" He chuckled dryly. "The Lords never forgive betrayal. They want your allegiance once again, and they resurrected me to ensure it. If you refuse, the people you love might be in danger. Do you really think you can protect them all?" Arden cracked up an ice-cold smile.
"Obviously, you don't know my loved ones..."
"Does that include... Silke?"

Arden grasped for air, his eyes cracking wide open at once. The dark elf smiled cruelly, and chuckled. "I thought as much. You still have a soft spot for her, don't you? She's pretty...soft, and innocent... And she is no warrior." He bowed in a sarcastic gesture, and said: "We'll talk again....soon. Until then, "captain", I bid you farewell, and a pleasant journey. Sweet dreams." With that, there was a bright flash, and the dark elf was gone.

Approaching the night-camp of the caravan, the dark elf Isidian DeVir held out his hands in a peaceful gesture to the night guards, and resisting the urge to slaughter both of them at an instant. Instead, he held up his hands, and called out to them in the night, alerting many others in the caravan as well, to his presence. "Ho there! Will you allow a weary traveler to share a fire and bread with you this night?"

There was some reluctance, but finally, the guards agreed. "Come on then!", one of them said. "But keep your hands away from your blades while you're here. We want no trouble!"
"Neither do I.", the dark elf replied with a sinister smile hidden under his breath, as he entered the camp, where many people seemed to enjoy themselves with excessive drinking. It would have been so easy to slaughter all of them, he thought with a dry chuckle. Instead of doing so, however, he approached a small group centered around what looked like a drunk old man, to introduce himself.

After all, he'd be travelling with them for the foreseeable future.
Celtic - An alternate history RP

Loxley's blog

"A man must do two things in life - love women, and pay back his friends." Ryo Saeba, City Hunter

Mr_D
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Mr_D »

Nero felt a shiver creep up his spine and his hairs stand up on end. He couldn't tell what had triggered the reaction, but instinctively he turned around to see a stranger approach. His false smile and mannerisms made Nero feel uneasy and before he knew it he had risen to his feet.

Loxley
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Loxley »

"Ah it's a beautiful night, is it not, friends?", the dark elf said as he approached the group, and gazed up at the stars in the dark sky. "Almost as beautiful as the ladies that honors us with their presence here." He stopped and bowed deeply. He had learnt his manners from a certain elven mercenary leader once. "Allow me to introduce my humble self. I am Isidian DeVir, dark elf, ranger extraordinare, and defender of Justice of Lycoria. Might I impose on you my humble company by the warm fire? I like good company, and I plan to travel with your caravan for a while. It is safer than travelling alone in these troubled times."

His face showed a false smile, but for just a single moment, the disgust, hatred, loath and disdain he felt for these trusting fools, shone through his red eyes, before the glimmer disappeared again. He stemmed his own emotions and focused on the job he had been given, and waited for a response.

Loxley's blog

"A man must do two things in life - love women, and pay back his friends." Ryo Saeba, City Hunter

Mr_D
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Mr_D »

Nero felt a rising fear inside him. He managed to suppress another shiver as he looked into the dark elf's cold, predatory eyes. His intsincts told him this man was trouble and in his experience instincts were usually right. He didn't trust this man as far as he could throw him, but he had no reason to turn him away.

With trepidation Nero offered his hand to shake. To others though it would have appeared a genuine and uncomplicated gesture.

"I'm Nero, though I can't say I've got much of a grand profession, I'm just a travelling doctor." He said with a smile as false as Isidian's.

Loxley
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Loxley »

"Aah, a man of my own heart, no doubt!", Isidian smiled, shaking Nero's hand firmly. "It's a pleasure to meet a man who spends his time helping others, friend.", he said as he met Nero's eyes, trying to discern what was hiding behind them. His keen senses warned him of this one.

He then turned, and regarded the others, the old man, and the women. "And might I impose so much as to ask for your names as well, friends?", he asked, continuing his act as the noble ranger that he was not.

Loxley's blog

Mr_D
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Mr_D »

Nero's skin recoiled at his touch, crawling with an incredible feeling of revulsion. Nevertheless he maintained his pleasent manner. As the ranger turned his back Nero eyed him warily.

Loxley
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Loxley »

As Arden returned to the camp, he whistled silently. Then he went into the camp, where Greyhawk sat by the fire, sharpening his daggers. Looking up, he nodded to Arden, and asked: "Found what you were looking for, bro?" Arden didn't answer. Instead, he crouched by the fire, and gazed into it for several moments, in complete silence, before he finally looked up to Arden.

"We're going to have to leave the caravan to themselves for a while." Greyhawk looked up at him in surprise.
"Huh? What? Why?" Arden turned his head and regarded the distant lights of the caravan.
"They can take care of themselves. And we must get to Dun-Lorn - I have to talk to some old friends there. It is incredibly important, and we must get there as fast as possible." He took a deep breath, and continued, tiredly: "I reckon we'll be back within a few days... Either way, we leave in the morning. Oh, and one more thing. We may be here incognito, as "monks" if you will, but if anyone attacks us, we're going for the kill." There was such determination in his voice that it surprised his brother.

Then, he disappeared into the tent, leaving his brother wondering what had brought on this change in character, and silence once again fell over the small camp.

Loxley's blog

Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Ariel »

Ladarious did not offer his hand to Isidian. "I am Ladarious." He gave but a mere nod in greeting. There was a dark energy emanating forth from the stranger and even though inebriated, the wizard was no fool.

Mr_D
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Mr_D »

Nero shot Ladarious a knowing glance before setting off to another part of the campsite.

Over the clamour of the travellers a lilting, haunting melody carried on the wind. Far from the jaunty rhythms of the other performers, the song had a mournful, melancholy tune that brought a wistful longing to Nero's very soul. He approached the player who sat perched on a rock, strumming his lyre. His thin, elvish features were drawn, giving him a strong, proud face. His steely grey eyes met with Nero's gaze.

Loxley
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Loxley »

Isidian bowed back to the old man, with the same appearingly careless smile on his lips, and said: "A pleasure, friend. Would you care to share some of that fine ale with my humble self? It's been a long while since I've tasted anything stronger than water."

Loxley's blog

Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Post by Magus »

Caitir bubbled with excitement of the new addition to the group. She was more than capable of defending herself, and had traveled a little in her time... but she was still new to the world, and had lived a greatly sheltered life. Distrust did not come easily to her, nor was discretion.

"My name is Caitir. It's a pleasure to make thine acquaintance."

Loxley
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Loxley »

"A pleasure, my lady.", Isidian said as he gave a false smile. He took her hand, and kissed it, once again using the manners that he had learnt from Arden. "I must say, when I first approached the camp I did not expect to find such a beauty traveling with it. Now I know I won't be bored for the next few days.", he added with a smile.

But in his head, his mind was working hard. It was all just a ruse to get to his former captain, of course. This, like the threat ofhaving Silke assassinated, was just a way to ensure the loyalty of Bregan Savant towards his lords. And like all the others in the camp, this woman could be used, and thrown away when she wasn't useful any longer. The smile stayed on Isidian's lips a little longer.

Loxley's blog