The Threads of Fate

Moderator: Bmat

Llew
True Visionary
True Visionary

Post by Llew »

Virde's face showed nothing, but inwardly he winced at the girl's open innocents. He abruptly decided it was time to made his introductions; this Isidian was far more dangerous than they could possibly suspect. And more evil.

He strolled casually up, sketching a bow and a smile to Ladarious. He ignored the Isidian and the girl. "Would you share the warmth or your fire with a stranger, friend? Ah, but forgive me, allow me to introduce myself. I am Virde, part owner of an Avanoorian trading vassal. I travel to Lycoria to secure a market for our goods, if such a thing exists," He said, speaking to Ladarious and still ignoring the two. The story was a lie of course, but it explained his presence well enough and would not be questioned. All that mattered right now was Isidian. He did not wait for an answer, but turned to Caitir, whom he greeted with a smile and a deeper bow. "An honor also, my lady." He was looking past her though, strait into Isidian's cold eyes.
“I Speak Spanish to God, Italian to Women, French to Men, and German to My Horse” - Charles V, King of Spain and Holy Roman Emperor, 1500–58

Loxley
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Loxley »

An almost ironic smile crept over Isidian's ebon-hued face as he met the gaze of the new-comer, Virde, and for a moment, an intense gaze of hatred appeared in his blood-red eyes. But the gaze disappeared as quickly as it had appeared, and the ironic smile appeared again.

Isidian bowed politely, and said:
"It seems our circle keeps growing. Allow me to introduce myself. I am Isidian DeVir, ranger and defender of the Justice in Lycoria." He laid his head on the side, and added, almost thoughtfully, though that was just a ruse: "It is a bad time for business in Lycoria, friend, so I'm afraid your trip is wasted. The people there are still struggling to recover from the war. They have no money to spend on anything but their absolute necessities."

He quickly sized up Virde, and made a mental note to keep his eyes on this one as well. Things were growing to become more difficult than he had first anticipated. But the woman was an easy prey, and he was determined to exploit that weakness.

He knew that his former captain was busy elsewhere due to his threat, and so all he had to deal with now, was these people.
Celtic - An alternate history RP

Loxley's blog

"A man must do two things in life - love women, and pay back his friends." Ryo Saeba, City Hunter

Mr_D
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Mr_D »

Nero stood and listened to the bard's song. The wistful tune told the tale of the band of heroes who defied the Imperators in the war.

A halfling, a shapeshifter, a man with two souls and a shaman who together were able to cast down the vile lords of the dark realm Neseldin. Finishing the tale he quickly began another, more familiar ballad.

Nero let his thoughts wander. It had caused so much pain and suffering. With the Imperators gone there had been numerous conflicts in the country as warlords fought amongst themselves to fill the vacuum and outside forces sought to expand their territories. Many of it's citizens had fled to the refugee camps in the north of Lycoria.

Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Ariel »

Ladarious gave the rest of his brew to Isidian. He had his fill and needed to be alert. He welcomed Verde to share their fire as his thoughts wandered to the young maiden. She would need looking after that one.

Loxley
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Loxley »

Isidian took the ale, and heaved some of it down his throat. After a few gulps, he lowered it, and smiled widely. "Aah. Now, that's tasty.", he said with a nod. "Better than the mud they pass off for water here in Lycoria." Then, gazing up into the sky once more, he said: "Alas, I think I better get some sleep for now, friends. I usually tend to oversleep when I'm on the road, and I don't want to be left behind. So I bid you all farewell for now." He bowed, and then looked at Caitir, giving her a meaningful smile, and said: "My lady..."

Then, with satisfaction, Isidian left the group to find a quiet part of the camp where he could be alone to conduct his business. He found it behind a few of the wagons, and, sitting down and leaning against one of the large wheels of it, he pulled out a pouch from his belt, and went to work scattering a silvery powder in strange patterns on the ground. They soon began to glow, forming suddenly a magical pool of water.

"Let's see then, what my lord has to say.", he mumbled to himself, as a dark feature-less face appeared in the water.

"You have something to report?", a dark and mushy voice asked then, and a pair of red eyes began to glow in the featureless face. Isidian felt a cold shiver run up along his spine, and nodded.

"Yes. I have met with the Captain. Our threat against him worked as planned - he is now off to make sure that we haven't touched Silke. Such a weak fool. He thinks that I work for the Dark Imperators still. Such a fool.", he snorted again, with disgust. "I don't see why we're going through the trouble of forcing him into our service, when we could just kill..."

"Silence!", the voice roared. "Do not dare question your orders." Dark flames appeared in the edges of the face, as if to enhance the anger in the voice, and Isidian found it wise to follow the order. "Now. Continue...", the voice continued, now calm again.

"I have now joined up with the caravan, as my lords requested, and will travel with them until I know their weaknesses. As long as that fool of an elf stays away, there won't be any trouble.", he said, thinking about Virde, Nero and Ladarious. "No problem at all...", he added, as the face of Caitir appeared in his mind. "But I still do not understand why I must go through all of this... I could easily slaughter all of them if my lord would only..."

"You will do no such thing, fool.", the voice hissed. "No matter whether you would succeed or not, that is not the wish of the lords. You will continue to watch them, and wait. And if the elf returns, and find you, you will use them against him. Do not let it resort to violence yet... First, we must make sure we have the allegieance of the elf and the fools that follow him." Isidian sighed.

"Yes, my lord.", he replied, thoroughly disgusted with the thought of traveling with others. "I will do as commanded." He suddenly came to think of something, and asked: "What about the woman - Silke? If the Captain goes after her, we will not be able to get to her - he will make sure of that." The face chuckled.

"He can not protect her from Our assassin." His face became edged by dark flames again, and he roared: "Now, go, and wait for further instructions. Know your mission - do not raise suspicion in any way."

"Yes, my lord...", Isidian sighed.

The pool of water became water once more, then turned into nothing but dust. Isidian leaned back against the wheel, and thought about his new orders. He despised working for the Lords, but he knew if he refused their orders he would surely perish once again.

Besides, the power he had been granted after his resurrection was greater than anything he had ever experienced before, he thought with a smile.
Last edited by Loxley on Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

Loxley's blog

"A man must do two things in life - love women, and pay back his friends." Ryo Saeba, City Hunter

Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Ariel »

"The hour is late Caitir. We must rest now if we are to get an early start." The wizard did not wish to stray far from the maiden. Like a protective grandfather, the wizard stayed close by.

Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Post by Magus »

"I'm fine, Ladarious." Caitir said in an obviously perturbed tone. "I already have one father. A second is something that I don't."

Mr_D
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Mr_D »

The bard began to play again, his words weaving a tapestry of fairytales and ancient myths. The birth of man, the fall of the ancients, the rise of the Imperators and the King of the undead, the King of the century's end and the tale of the Wanderer.

As he started the last one his jaded and weary gaze met with Nero's for but a brief moment and in that moment there was an understanding between the two of them and Nero felt as though he knew this man from somewhere.

Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Ariel »

Ladarious chuckled at the maiden's reaction. "Fine then young one, stay up with the owls and the creatures of the night, but come morning, we shall not dally." He found himself a spot beneath a tall oak and curled up for the night snoring in perfect contentment.

Loxley
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Loxley »

Arden turned, and twisted, as he tried to fall asleep. But his thoughts kept returning to a certain face, to a woman, who's life was in danger, who's innocense was a danger to herself. It was his fault that she now could be assassinated by his enemies, just to get to him. Her brothers, Kale and Dunga Archambaud, could not protect her from the people that Isidian worked for.

"Silke...", he whispered to himself. It had been so long since he had seen her. And now, her life was in danger because of him. He gritted his teeth hard, and cursed. "Damn it." He wished that he could summon the full strength of Bregan Savant, and send them all to protect the young woman from any harm.

But he knew he couldn't do that.

Instead, he had to leave his most recent commitments behind, to go and try to protect the woman that he loved, by himself. And while he did, he had no doubt that the dark elf would be plotting against him...

He cursed yet again, forcing himself to sleep.

Loxley's blog

Loxley
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Loxley »

As dawn broke through the dark night on the cliffside where the three had camped, they were already awake. There was a hard pressed silence, though, as they took down their camp and removed all traces of it. Arden didn't speak, and neither Greyhawk nor Cujo asked him about the reason they were suddenly abandoning their tracking of the caravan.

Not long after dawn, the three were on a steady and fast run north-westwards, with Arden in the lead and Cujo strapped on his back, and Greyhawk right behind him.

At noon, they had left the caravan far behind, with the sinister dark elf free to do what he wanted in their absence. The mercenary captain knew this, but tried not to worry about it.

Loxley's blog

Mr_D
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Mr_D »

Nero awoke to the chirping of birds and the light hum of conversation as the travellers went about their early morning routines. Some prayed, the orange light of the dawn casting long shadows as they touched their heads to the earth, others were busy cooking breakfast, serving up the leftover meat from the night before in a broth.

Rubbing his eyes, Nero roused himself from his bedding and dressed himself, slipping on his regal blue jacket last. With a yawn he brushed back the flap of the tent and made hisway outside. The blinding light dazzled him for a moment and he drew his hand up in front of his face to shield his eyes. He groaned and made his way to the campfire where the other travellers handed him a bowl of soup.