The Threads of Fate

Moderator: Bmat

Loxley
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Loxley »

Isidian felt a cold shiver run up his spine, and frowned. The company he travelled with were idiots, or so it would seem, but his keen senses warned him that some greater force of good was at work against his masters.

"So they finally act against us...", he mumbled to himself, with a wry, sarcastic grin hidden under the hood of his cloak. "Things are certainly getting...interesting."
Celtic - An alternate history RP

Loxley's blog

"A man must do two things in life - love women, and pay back his friends." Ryo Saeba, City Hunter

Llew
True Visionary
True Visionary

Post by Llew »

Verde gazed back at her, and was again surprised by those eyes. Then he found himself saying, in a voice that he hardly recognized as his own, "What should I do?"
“I Speak Spanish to God, Italian to Women, French to Men, and German to My Horse” - Charles V, King of Spain and Holy Roman Emperor, 1500–58

Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Ariel »

"I thought perhaps you already had a plan." She smiled at the handsome man and hoped he had an answer.

Loxley
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Loxley »

Arden watched carefully as the guards on the wall walked away. When the coast was clear, he snuck up to the wall in the shelter of darkness. When he was safely hidden in the shadows of the wall, he pulled out a grappling hook with a rope, and, with little time wasted, threw it over the wall. There was a ringing noise as it landed, and then, pulling the rope to make sure it was tightly hooked, the elf climbed up to the edge using the rope. Nobody saw him enter the city, and within moments, Arden was walking down the streets of Dun-Lorn, his eyes searching for a specific establishment. It had been such a long time since he had been here, and his senses were overwhelmed by the memories the city brought, as his heart was weighed down by the bittersweet essence of them.

He wandered into the merchant quarters of the city, where fine establishments - stores, taverns and inns - edged the paved streets. It was dark, but there were still many establishments open, and from the taverns came laughter, singing and music, but Arden was not there to enjoy himself this evening. Suddenly, his ears were reached by the sound of a blacksmith's hammer against metal. A few moments later, he came within sight of an open blacksmith's smitty, where the fire was still roaring. And by it stood a mountain of a man, working a piece of iron with his tools, while the sweat was dropping from his shoulders, and his chest heaving from the effort he put into it. The sight of the man made an unwilling smile creep over the elf's face.

"Working late again?", he said. The man stiffened, and turned around, revealing a handsome and kind face, edged by long, blond hair. When he recognized the elf, his eyes widened, and he dropped the piece of hot metal into a wooden barrel with cold water. A cloud of hissing smoke erupted. The man looked with disbelief at the wood elf standing in front of him. But there was happiness in his eyes, the kind shown when family members reunited after many years of separation.

"Captain!", he exclaimed. Arden chuckled dryly.
"Dungah. Long time, no see." He shook the man's hand warmly, and instantly felt a wave of warm emotions flow through him. "It's good to see you're keeping in shape.", he continued, motioning towards the fire and the future sword. Dungah laughed.

"It's been hard to keep busy since you kicked us out of Bregan Savant.", he retorted with a grin that made Arden laugh.
"True.", the elf smiled. "So... Is Kale inside?"
"Sure is.", Dungah replied. "And Silke too. She's missed you very much..." Arden's face got serious, and he nodded.

"I know.", he sighed. "I just wish I'd come here under happier circumstances...or not at all." Dungah looked into his captain's eyes, then, with a frown gestured towards the door into the house, and said:
"Let's talk inside. It's getting cold."

The two opened the door, and stepped into the warm house. The hallway, as always adorned with various mementos from the siblings' adventures, remained exactly as Arden had remembered it. Many of these adventurers, Arden had been fighting side by side with them during, risking his life to protect his friends. This was the closest he had ever come to a family, he realized then and there. And now, they were threatened because of him.

When they stepped inside, Dungah shouted: "Hey, Kale, Silke, we've got a guest!" There was a sound coming from the door leading into the kitchen, and when the elven captain turned his eyes to discern it's source, his breath ceased.

There she was, as beautiful as he remembered her.
Her golden, curly hair was longer than he remembered it, but framed a face so beautiful that the Gods themselves would be envious. Her lips, red as cherries, widened as her deep blue eyes recognized him, showing nothing less than disbelief. As she dropped the pans she was holding, she rushed up to him, but stopped a feet away and looked into his eyes.

Then she punched him in the face, so hard he stumbled backwards and fell to the floor. Rubbing his chin, he suddenly remembered how hard her punches were.

Loxley's blog

"A man must do two things in life - love women, and pay back his friends." Ryo Saeba, City Hunter

Mr_D
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Mr_D »

With little more but the road in front to occupy their minds, the hours passed slowly. Since the others seemed to be otherwise engaged Nero took to daydreaming. He barely notice the man in front of him slow to a stop before he bumped into him, bringing Nero to his senses.

"Sorry." He apologised as the man turned a scowling glance his way. Looking around, Nero saw that they now stood in the market square of a small town.

At the head of the caravan a man in red and white robes, presumably the leader, spoke to his followers.

"We'll stop here for a couple of hours. Everyone be back by four. If you're late, we leave without you." He said loudly. Slowly the crowd dispersed.

Nero approached the man. His dark, leathery skin was wrinkled and craggy, hidden beneath the hood of his robes so that only his mouth was visible.

"You run a tight ship." Nero said.

Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Ariel »

An orange and white tabby cat came tumbling from a pile of boxes in the alley. Ladarious caught the comical antics of the cat who looked as dignified as though nothing out of the ordinary took place. He chuckled and took a bit of meat from his pouch to share with the animal. He always did have a fondness for animals. The cat eyed him cautiously at first then wolfed the food down as though it was the first meal in a while.

His first stop would be the apothecary shop. He could use some special herbs and tinctures. It was a quaint little shop nestled in the corner of the street with hanging plants that made it even more welcoming than it already looked. From the large front window he could see row upon row of large glass jars filled with dried herbs, small tins and vials with various concoctions. He opened the door and stepped inside as wonderful aromas filled the air.
Last edited by Ariel on Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Loxley
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Loxley »

When the caravan stopped in the village, Isidian sighed melodramatically, returned the horse to it's owner, and took his temporary leave from the other travellers. He headed into the village, and found a small inn that suited his needs for now. Stepping inside, he soon found himself a small table in a corner of the room, and sat down to enjoy a mug of strong ale.

Loxley's blog

Llew
True Visionary
True Visionary

Post by Llew »

"I came here to kill a man." He said shortly, turning away, "For revenge. It has nothing to do with...them. Only me."

He knew she would leave now, and steeled his heart for what she would say.
“I Speak Spanish to God, Italian to Women, French to Men, and German to My Horse” - Charles V, King of Spain and Holy Roman Emperor, 1500–58

Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Ariel »

The sleek black horse snorted eager to move on. "I don't understand. One man? For what reason?" She realised after the words escaped her lips that he might take it as prying into his personal business, but she asked out of pure curiosity and concern. Dark clouds rolled in as the wind picked up. She clutched at the neck of her cloak to ward off the chill. "I must stop at the village where your traveling companions are. If you would be so kind as to introduce me to some who may be of help, I would be ever so grateful. My name is Anyanna."

Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Ariel »

A young man with long dark straggly hair stood behind the counter muttering to himself completely oblivious to the presence of the wizard. Ladarious tapped his walking stick on the surface of the counter to get the man's attention. "What troubles you so lad?" The young man jumped to attention. "The sneaky beast, it stalks me, it's always there!" Placing his items on the counter and counting his money Ladarious inquired as the the nature of the beast. Lowering his voice the man whispered. "It has the sharpest claws, it steals my garbage and makes a mess of things...the orange beast!

The wizard broke into a fit of laughter. "Tis no beast you speak of but a mere cat in need of food and shelter. They are quite nice once you get to know them." He gathered his items and left the shop still laughing.

Loxley
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Loxley »

Isidian gulped down some more ale, and sighed at his predicament. He wasn't in any hurry to serve his new "masters" - he served nobody but himself, and Arden Greyhamn and Bregan Savant had learnt that the hard way. But he also knew that his masters would kill him if they thought he would betray them - just as easily as they had resurrected him. He sighed again, and leaned backwards in his chair.

Then he looked out the window, and a grim smile spread across his lips as he recognized the old man from the caravan walk down the street. Rising from his chair, he tossed a few copper coins on the table, and said to himself: "Time to practice my sneaking skills. Let's see what you're up to, oh so mighty wizard..."

Within seconds, he was outside, moving through the crowd while keeping an eye on the old coot, not letting him out of his sight, and also fighting his own urges to stab the old man in the back with a poisoned blade - the dark elf way of handling such problems.

Loxley's blog

Llew
True Visionary
True Visionary

Post by Llew »

Verde took a breath, "He held me captive those dungeons. He...tortured me."

He suddenly straightened, and catching up the reins of his horse, swung into the saddle. "I will take you to the village," were his only words.

He set off at a gallop, not bothering to see if she followed. It was not long before the rain broke over them, sweeping down in great sheets and accompanied by flashes of lightning.