speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Shadows of vengeance

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Shadows of vengeance

Postby Mr_D » Fri May 13, 2005 3:00 pm

(Shinya is a young man of no more than twenty with a lean, athletic muscular frame, youthful good looks and long black hair. He is a highly skilled martial artist and ninja.)

Shinya sat cross legged in the eternally blooming gardens of the temple of rebirth. The sweet scent of blossoming flowers and the lively chirp of singing birds surrounded him, the entire place seemed at peace. Silently the figure approached from behind, Shinya sat unmoving.

“Master…” Shinya spoke, his voice ingrained with a profound respect.

“No longer must you call me master, for now it is I who shall bow to you.” The old man said, his wizened features forming a gentle smile.

“There are many ninja, there are many adepts, many masters and many grandmasters, but there is only one Kage. And now we, the grandmasters of the Shin-ryu shinobi bestow upon the title of Kage, or ‘Shadow’ in the language of our ancestors. Never before have we seen one with such promise and never before has one so young risen so far.” The old man knelt on the ground before Shinya, touching his forehead to the ground.

“Come now, there is much to do.” The grandmaster ushered Shinya from the garden.

“We have discovered the location of the scrolls.” The grandmaster said, his voice grave and solemn

“And also… him.” He said, Shinya’s eyes widened in shock.

“That is why we feel that you are the only one capable of the task at hand.” The grandmaster turned to Shinya, gazing deep into his eyes as though searching for something.

“If he can decipher the scrolls then he shall undoubtedly use the techniques contained within for evil purposes.” The grandmaster fell silent and continued to stare into Shinya’s eyes.

“Then I shall retrieve them and avenge myself one that man.” Shinya said with determination in his voice. The grandmaster smiled and nodded sagely.

“Then you’d best leave at once, for if he is allowed to reach his destination then there shall be no point to your quest.” The old man said.

The next day arrangements were made for Shinya to leave secretly by boat. The grandmaster’s voices echoed in his mind as he lay in his hammock, swaying in the ship’s hold with the tide of the sea.

“We have taught you all we can, your path is yours to decide. If you ever have need of our council you shall have it.”

After seemingly forever sailing the ship arrived in the walled port of Striden, the city of sin and vice. Impenetrable walls encircled the city and a single gate allowed access by sea and another by land, the entire place seemed to have been carved from pitch black obsidian, it's gothic stylings and tall spires gave it a grim appearance and above all other structures towered the cathedral to Krawl. The city was renown throughout the world for it’s being a haven for criminals and mercenaries as it was ruled by the priests of Krawl the war god and their feared leader, field marshal Kor. The air was thick with the stench of smoke and filth as Shinya stepped off the boat, dressed inconspicuously in his traveling robes and long dusty brown jacket. Fastening his traveling cloak and wrapping a length of cloth around his face as a makeshift scarf he stepped onto the docks. As he neared the gate to the city two large orcish guards stepped in front of him. They carried huge halberds and wore bulky plate mail that had obviously been tailored for someone of a smaller build, as it stretched over their bulk exposing much of their discoloured skin beneath.

‘Just my luck.’ Shinya thought to himself.

“Where do ya think you’re goin’ little ‘un?” One of the guards asked, a malicious grin across his face.

“Where does it look like I’m going? The main city of course.” Shinya replied tersely, craning his neck to look at the guard. The orc was at least three foot taller than him and Lent over Shinya, hoping to intimidate him.

“Cocky little *beep* ain’t ya? The orc snarled, his foul breath wafting over Shinya like a nauseating wave of smoke.

“Well ya can’t enter without paying a fee first.” The orc snorted. Straightening up to look down his nose at Shinya.

“That’s right boy, and today’s a festival, that means the price is double.” The second orc laughed.

“What about them? They don’t seem to have to pay.” Shinya pointed at the various other people sifting through the gate, running to and fro.

“They ain’t foreign.” The guard replied

“Where are you from anyway sonny? That ship’s from kuthersia and you don’t look Kuthersian.” The other guard stared into Shinya’s eyes.

“Well that’s exactly where I’m from as a matter of fact.” Shinya replied.

“I suppose it don’t matter anyway, so long as you pay the fee.” The guard barely concealed his snorting laughter. Shinya let out an exasperated sigh and drew a leather pouch from within the fold of his robes.

“Is this enough? I don’t have much money.” He said, removing a silver from the pouch. The guard guffawed derisively.

“That ain’t enough to get ya in on a normal day boy, let alone a festival day!” The two guards exchanged knowing looks and grinned. Shinya gritted his teeth, he was trying to keep a low profile and a fight with the local authorities would hardly help him, but he had to get into the city!
Last edited by Mr_D on Mon May 30, 2005 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr_D
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Magus » Fri May 13, 2005 3:37 pm

***Reejo Reemer is a wild mage, a variety of magic-user who has seemingly limitless magical powers and potential but no ability at all to control it. Every time they cast magic they don't use chants or gestures, it causes either entirely random effects or acts as if opening a damn to the tidal floods of raw unfocused magic. They are, because of this, highly distrusted for their abilities, for they can injure themselves or a party member just as easily as their enemy. There is no way that they can control their power either, there appears to be some fundamental mental trigger that is lacking within them to control it. As far as mages go, this is a birth-defect.

He is a handsome human with fine soft features, being twenty-five summer old, but acts more like one of several fewer years. He has a cheerful disposition and is very friendly, some would consider a little bit overly so. He has pale blue eyes and a mix of crimson/orange silky hair that forms almost a pillow on his head. He's roughly five feet five inches tall and of a small but solid frame. He wears long robes that are commonly a swirling mix of sky blue and soft white, although they are constantly shifting and may occasionally include other short-lived swirling colors.

He is a good natured person with all of the right intentions, but usually lead to little good. He is known to join up with others until his wild magics get him in trouble and kicked out of that party. He travels with little, having a few strong potions to help heal wounds, fatigue and hunger as well as two animal skins of water and one of wine, but little to no more. He carries a sling of magically enhanced stones that hit harder, fly faster and shoot further then normally, as well as a small pouch that indefinitely regenerates them.***

A man stepped from the other side of the gate, from within the city. He wore a robe of shifting sky-blue and off-white color. Here and there would be a waft of a butter-cream yellow or a light melon green, even a flash of rosy pink or darker scarlet. His features were soft and round, but incredibly handsome. Most distinctly, even more so then the cloak he wore, was his billowing cloud of red-orange hair.

He observed the man in his poor condition. These stupid Orcs were excellent guards, but did little more then shake-down those they thought they could. His heart went out for this young man who looked near enough to his age. He had some spare funds, was actually just going to the bar to relieve himself of some of them. Helping out a fellow human in need would certainly be far more worth while then drinking himself stupid once again.

"Sirs, I hope that this will suffice his 'fee'." He said in a cheerful and soft spoken manner, but with some slight emphasis that would incline one who heard it that he knew what they were up to. He reached into the folds of his robe and into his coin pouch. He drew it out with two gold pieces and held one out to each of the Orcish guards.

"You have your gold, never mind whose pocket it came from. Now may this man pass through the gates to the city, for the day is a splendid one and I doubt he'd care to waste much of it being shaken down by the local thugs in uniform."
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Mr_D » Fri May 13, 2005 3:46 pm

Shinya looked at the man, his training enabled him to read a persons thoughts like an open book through their body language and this man seemed sincere in his manner.

"Two fools in as many minutes, must be our lucky day." One of the guards laughed, snatching the silver from Shinya's hand and the golds from Reejo. The two of them walked back to their posts, chuckling as Shinya passed them.

"Why did you do such a thing?" Shinya asked, still unsure of his benefactor's intentions. He stepped hastily into the city, drawing his cloak's hood back from his head.
Mr_D
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Magus » Fri May 13, 2005 3:53 pm

"I'm sure that you'll see why in a few moments." Reejo said, with a juvenile smile on his face. "Just watch. Any second now..."
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Mr_D » Fri May 13, 2005 3:57 pm

Shinya cocked his eyebrow, turning to face the same direction as Reejo.
Mr_D
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Magus » Fri May 13, 2005 4:03 pm

The Orcs were looking over their gold, boasting over the thrift. Reejo smiled and waited. He himself had no idea what would happen, only that something would. For all he knew they could be consumed in an immense fireball or frozen into impenetrable ice-statues for all eternity. It was the suspense that got to him every time.

All at once the two gold coins erupted into a mass of writhing roots, leaves and thorns. They enveloped the Orcish guards at there post and buried them in their flora. They weren't harmed, but were instead helplessly entangled and unable to move.

Reejo walked over to them, picked up his two undamaged gold coins, and returned to the man. "So, would you care to spend these on some good ale and a decent meal? There's a tavern not to far from here that I know for a fact has excellent steak."
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Mr_D » Fri May 13, 2005 4:08 pm

"Perhaps that would be a good idea, I doubt they'll be too pleased when they get out." Shinya said, allowing Reejo to lead the way.
Mr_D
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Magus » Fri May 13, 2005 5:15 pm

Reejo laughed heartily. "No... I don't expect that they would. Come now, it's just around this corner and down the street a little. And I doubt you'll find a better meal in all the city! My treat!"
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Mr_D » Sat May 14, 2005 6:22 am

"Then by all means lead the way." Shinya said.
Mr_D
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Magus » Sat May 14, 2005 8:07 am

"Certainly."

Reejo started down the road, leading this new man to the tavern. The streets were fairly crowded, but no more then usual. Certainly this was no fair day, as the Orcs had lied. That was in two days.

"Oh, yes. I almost forgot about this." He turned as he walked and tossed this stranger's silver coin at him. "And here we are."

He said, turning to reveal a large wooden in with a brass sign in front of it with the image of a giant fire-breathing dragon on it. Below it read "The Dragon's Fire Tavern".

Reejo entered the tavern and showed, while large, was comfortable and, actually, rather cozy. He lead his companion over to the bar where the bartender turned and looked at them.

"Oye, 'allow Reejo. How is ya'? An' who is 'dis?"

"Hello Shrom." The mage said very personably. "This here is a new acquaintance of mine, and hungry as I am I should think. I'll take my usual and he can have whatever he wants, my treat. And add to mugs of ale to that."
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Mr_D » Sat May 14, 2005 8:38 am

Thank you, I'll have some soup please." Shinya said, he looked around at the tavern, it seemed a far better place than he had expected in this seething pit of corruption. The atmosphere seemed relaxed and indeed friendly.

"So, Reejo was it? My name is Shinya." He said, extending his hand to the mage.
Mr_D
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Mr_D » Sat May 14, 2005 4:28 pm

A group of men clad in heavy black plate armour stepped through the door of the tavern. Their raucous laughter and booming voices could be heard all the way down the street. They sat down at a long wooden table, one of them dressed in more ornate armour than the rest, raised his hand and called out an order for ale. They continued to talk amongst themselves loudly, Shinya listened carefully to their conversation.

"...The marshal's gonna be gone for a couple of months..."

"you mean he's going to meet up with that Kuthersian monk and that mage of Brogg?"

"Yeah, what was his name? Iori! That's the one."
Mr_D
Resident Author
Resident Author

Next

Return to Lycoria: The Stories