speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Ancient Darkness: Masters of Darkness

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Ancient Darkness: Masters of Darkness

Postby Neurolanis » Fri May 13, 2005 3:19 pm

In a cathedral east of Lycoria's great city ...

A grand building of gold and steel, reaching deep beneath the surface ...

Under a massive red peristyle, minions of Troll and Orc marched. A man in a dark purple cloak entered the giant room, high above. To the right of his chest was a red spherical wax symbol, similar to a spiraling wave of blood. His large, knotty hands reached out and slowly took a cold grip on the golden railing.

Behind the figure approached a bald man in black, his hair gray and frizzy, his eyes a pale blue, his skin pale. Black-armored guards waited behind either shoulder as he bowed to the hooded man's back. "Master, you come early. If I had known -- "

"Forget it," came the lord with a stern voice from behind the purple hood. "Come. Tell me what I see."

The man in black came before the oval balcony. "You see your grand plaestra, sire. Here trains the elite legions under your command. Here, in the shadows of the kingdom of Lycoria, the most true true of kingdoms. We planted the head of our operations right under their nose." The man in black gave a raspy laugh. "The fools will never find us here."

"Oh no?" said the lord. "I hope not. The others?"

"Generals and lord are set to arrive. Your duty, sire, is the running of this place. Theirs are also specific duties."

"Without a clear leader. What a foolish gamble. With the correct air of welcome and careful words, let's hope these ... equals take to my wishes. I work poorly with others."

"Yes, sir. But I fear you haven't a choice. They are arriving, some today. If not all."

"Prepare for their arrival. Fruit, entertainment, whatever they want. Perlaun, our cover is perfect. We come and go as visiting monks. The Lycorian officials responsible will be well-rewarded for their efforts. We will take Lycoria through political means if possible however, of which I will see to. It is too strong to be taken, even while we await under its nose. For, we are at last outside its cities' borders. The time will come for attack. If we must we will arrive ... inside the fair city. We shall take it whole either way, with minimal destruction. Our masters want it in tact."

"Yes, my lord." Perlaun bowed greatly.

The lord turned round, lowering his hood. An old but solid man was he, with thin white hair, sharp blue eyes, and a stern chin. He stared coldly at his under. "Lord Chearyst, you may call me. That is the name the others must be given of me as they arrive."

"Yes, Lord Chearyst. Further interior construction is underway, ah-as quietly a-as possible, of course. The goods are all ready in storage. May I lead you to your chamber?"

Lord Chearyst sighed. "You'd might as well. I'd might as well see my new cell."

----------------------------------

Down many corridors they walked, Perlaun nodding to many other officials they passed. All but marching troops bowed shamelessly to their lord -- who neither bowed nor turned an eye to their actions. Perlaun led him down a long black hall, and tall white doors were pushed open. Up a series of stairs raised a tall stage, upon which sat a long table, grand throne and book shelves. Twisting wooden panels climbed up the walls, spiraling around steel cavities. Lord Chearlyst sat upon his black leather throne. To his wonderment, it actually span around as he pushed ... easily ... and he faced Perlain standing at the bottom of the five chairs beneath him. Perlaun bowed again.

Lord Chearlyst rolled his eyes. "Rise, Perlaun." He looked about his new abode. "This is most satisfactory."

"Servants outside await your bell. To your right is the passage to your master bedroom suit, and to your left a hall which leads to your library and private chapel and conservatory. Each of the others will have one much the same as this one."

"See that they do. That is all."

"Yes sir." Perlaun walked away. His footsteps echoed sharply over the room as he walked.

Lord Chearlyst's eyes soothed with a grin at the sound of it. "And Perlaun," he said.

"Yes, my lord?"

"Inform me if ... any of these lords or generals are ... Klundor."

"Yes sir." Perlaun left, closing the doors behind him.

Lord Chearlyst smiled as he sat back comfortably in his chair. But his eyes became nervous ... and worried.
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Mr_D » Fri May 13, 2005 3:33 pm

In the darkness of the far corner a figure stood, gangly and emaciated it looked, as though it's limbs had been stretched on a rack. A piercing red eye stared from the darkness and there came a horrible rasping wheeze as the figure loped forwards. It was completely bandaged and a patchwork of metal plates covered it's body like a restrictive armour. Long, raggedblack steel claws jutted from it's fingertips.

"Master..." The figure rasped, kneeling at the foot of the throne, head bowed in respect."

"What is your bidding."

(Lord Ashra is a psychic who serves chiefly as an assassin and intelligence gatherer, he can travel through shadow.)
Last edited by Mr_D on Fri May 13, 2005 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr_D
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Xyster » Fri May 13, 2005 3:42 pm

Koll sat calmly in the carriage. The rough rocking motion didn't distract him from his thoughts as he continued scribbling strange calculations across the paper. He reached out and dipped the quill pen into the dark ink, going back to work.

This was the first time that he was going to meet his new master, the first time that he would see many of his experiments in a long time. Most had been promoted highly in this army, not surprising considering that it was he who created him. His accomplices were not nearly the student that he had been.

He pushed the delicate glasses father up his nose, looking up for a moment and out the window to see how much farther it was. They appeared to be getting closer to the city. It shouldn't be too long before he was face to face with the man in charge of much of the army...or at least that was how he understood it.

Koll reached up, brushing his feathery raven hair out of his eyes so that he could continue writing.
Xyster
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Xyster » Fri May 13, 2005 5:14 pm

Koll felt the carriage pulling to a stop. They must finally be there. He folded the paper, carefully blowing on it to dry the ink and prevent smudging. Tucking it and his ink bottle into the black leather satchel that he had with him, he took a moment to straighten himself out so that he would be more presentable.

His short, feathery, raven colored hair required slight grooming, and he had to straighten his small, retangular glasses. Crystaline blue-green eyes stared out form behind them, not marred any by the thin sheet of glass. His pale, cream colored skin had managed to stay clean throughout the ride. He studied his soft, almost feminine features for a moment in the small mirror inside the carriage. His elven ears were slanted back more than most elves....and were longer and more delicate, giving him a very acute sense of hearing. Delicate, black eyebrows arched over his eyes.

Leaving the mirror alone, quickly straightened his simply designed silken black tunic. The neck was cut low, revealing the crisp white linen shirt underneath. His black silk pants were also cut in a simpel design as were is soft, black leather shoes. A simple, dark scarlet riding cape fell halfway down his back, and a single silver choker was wrapped about his neck.

When he was satisfied with his appearace, he allowed the servant to open the door for him and stepped out. His slender, almost delicate frame passed easily through the door, and he found that he was only slightly shorter than the servant, who quickly bowed to him in order to make up for his hiegth. The servant had to be average human hieght.

As his heels clicked onto the sidewalk, he glanced around. This was...quaint. He began walking forwards.
Xyster
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Magus » Fri May 13, 2005 5:39 pm

A dark rider in a black silk cloak with gold lining tore through the countryside on the back of a black steed. His cloak covered all of his being. Nothing could be see of his face, nor could even his basic build be determined from the layers of silk that covered his frame.

In tow were six others. There wore dark brown cloaks of silk with white lining, the design matching perfectly with the first man's with the only exception of color. Very little could be seen of their features.

One rider's frame seemed to be inconsistent unto itself. He seemed to flicker like a flame caught in an errant breeze, and from the shadows of his cloak a dull red glow shone like Hellfire.

Another rider seemed to writhe from within his cloak, as if he was composed of great tentacles that would not still themselves for even a moment. A sinister yellow seemed to buzz from within his clothing.

Next to him rode the third companion to the leader. His body had more form the the previous two, but jiggled and waved in such a manner that would seem almost comical if not for the ferocity in which he did ride. There was an eerie translucency about him and a bluish-white shimmer in the darkness of his face that was hid beneath the cloak.

On the other side of the leading member in the black cloak rode another minion of he. This creature seemed to have no form at all, surreally thin to the point where one would think nothing but air within it. But it rode on and carried the reigns of its steed all the same.

The rider next to he was a solidly built individual, from at least what could be distinguished from his form by what showed from his cloak. In fact, he seemed to solidly built, as if he wasn't made of flesh at all. He was cornered off in many places and much to angular to be a man. Like the previously mentioned figure he had no glow about him. But whereas the latter seemed nothing at all, this one seemed to be too solid to be of this earth, much to dull even.

Off to this one's side was the sixth and final companion. His horse lagged though, and horribly too. Beside him ran a spare horse, and indeed it looked as if he might need it ere long as his mount was shaking in horrible spastics. He seemed to be of a man build, but almost to perfect, as if he was above the slight irregularities in build and construct which makes us human.

Through the countryside they tore. They never once spoke, never once stopped or slowed. They continued on almost mechanically to their destination.
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Xyster » Fri May 13, 2005 6:11 pm

I wish for my body now you creaton. You said that you'd have one ready for my habitation by now...and that you'd make me a lord in your army if I handed over my other self. The voice rang inside of Koll's head, though he knew where it was coming from. The small, crystal jar in his satchel was glowing again.

"Hush now. I'm busy for the moment. You want what you asked for, do you not?" The vial dulled again the voice exited his mind. He had been lucky to capture this thing...this weaving of magics and souls.
Xyster
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Neurolanis » Sat May 14, 2005 10:00 am

Human guards in black plate armor gathered before Perlaun as he walked down the hall, his manner grim. "Sire," spoke one, "there are arrivals."

"Are there?" said Perlaun, his eyes wild and manner calm. "Well ... servants, see to them and their things. Guards, stand firm."
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Magus » Sat May 14, 2005 10:07 am

Outside of the fallen cathedral the seven rode and halted outside the gates. The spare was now being ridden, the original long dead on the road.

The man in the black robes dismounted and was immediately and obediently followed by the other six in the dark brown robes. He pulled back the hood that covered his face.

He was an old man with a short white beard that was merely a clean shaven growth with little length to it at all. He had long white hair that was fine as foreign silk and a face that was old and worn but still unbelievably sharp and hard, like diamonds or a finely crafted dagger. His eyes were a piercing and fierce dark azure and his lips were a parse crimson.

His minions did not removed their hoods. That they would not do till their master beckoned.
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Neurolanis » Sat May 14, 2005 2:56 pm

Perlaun approached the men in the black robes with guards behind him. He looked oddly about them. Who was leader. "Arhm ... what is your purpose here?" His voice and manner were humble, yet suspicious.
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Magus » Sat May 14, 2005 3:10 pm

"What purpose do you think I have here, whelp?" The old man roared in anger. He motioned at his six companions and one by one they obediently lowered their hoods to reveal their faces.

They weren't men at all, but rather elemtentals; beasts and creatures formed from the elements. One was a fire elemental, whose body was composed of plumes and clouds of fire. Another was a lightening elemental whose body was loosely bonded electricity that crackled and whipped about spastically, glowing a fierce yellow that was blinding even in the day. Another was a stone elemental, body compose of smooth, angular living rock. there was an air elemental, who could hardly be seen at all. The only hint that he had a form at all was a slight distortion, difficult and almost impossible to see, about the area where a body would have been. One was a water elemental, composed of clear translucent waters in the general humanoid shape. The last was an ice elemental, smooth and white-blue to the eye and formed in a smooth, featureless humanoid shape.

"They are The Air Dancer, The Fire Wielder, The Water Rider, The Earth Builder, The Lightning Bearer and The Ice Shaper respectfully. And I am Lord Jotaul. You have been awaiting my arrival, yes?"
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Neurolanis » Sat May 14, 2005 7:49 pm

"O-oh yes, of course, Lord Jotaul." Perlaun bowed. "We are honored to have you, sire. I am sorry to see that this projects carries not yet any name, neither does the building itself. The cathedral, we call it simply. A fair cathedral indeed. Lots of ... room. So. Elimentals, huh? Interesting. I have ... never had the pleasure ... of meeting their kind before."

Perlaun turned to his unders as they hurried along. "Grab up their things -- HURRY!" Perlaun turned back to Lord Jotaul with a reddish face. "Huh ... we, ah ... are still in the process of getting thingz organized."
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Magus » Sat May 14, 2005 7:56 pm

"Obviously." He retorted coldly and uncaringly. "Just show me where I am to stay and where the elementals are as well. I have little patience for delays of any sort."

Lord Jataul didn't hold any liking for Neseldin. He was working on his own plans, on his own projects, before they interfered. He understood that they were far mightier then he, and one might as well be on the right side of the devil then in his path. He joined for his own reasons, to build up as much power as he could from within, so long as he was forced into allegiance.

He would follow their orders, so long as they served him well enough. He would wait for his time. If he couldn't rise sufficiently from within then he would try his hand at carving them up from within. He would only play along with them for so long. But so long as they remained the rising power in the world he had little choice in the matter but to serve them.
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Next

Return to Lycoria: The Stories