speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

The Demon Lord

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Re: The Demon Lord

Postby Ariel » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:07 pm

"So you're here to help the villagers as well then." Aree glanced at Roe wondering what he thought of that when a scream pierced the air with its frightful sound. The half filled goblet of wine spilled when she stood suddenly and grabbed her sword.
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Ariel » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:10 pm

Aree struggled past the burly men in front of her to get through the wooden doors. Dark shadows danced around an open fire pit and quickly disappeared. As the embers died down, she spotted something strange in the center of the pit. Picking up a sturdy twig nearby, she brushed through the ashes and discovered bones of human origin.

Women and children peeked from doorways and partly curtained windows wide-eyed with fright. There was a cacophony of voices and screams that melded into chaos. Her eyes darted from left to right. One by one, Aree picked the strongest and healthiest of men. "Guard these homes starting now! We can't help you if you are unwilling to even try to help yourselves. this will be a group effort and perhaps the most difficult thing you have ever done, but you will do it! Those of us that have come to help your village will try to gather forces. What we have witnessed here is merely a warning of more to come."

One of the elderly men grabbed Aree's arm. "I have strong horses that can help you and your friends in your travel for help. The Mrs. will provide food and whatever provisions are needed."

"Thank you kind sir. May the winds of strength and courage be yours in these trying times." She looked through the crowd for her new companions. There may not be time to save this village, but with such darkness lurking, surely it lurked elsewhere as well.
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Loxley » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:29 pm

Roe reached for his trusted Chokuto, and stood up at the sounds of trouble outside. He muttered to himself: "I suppose we will have to make ourselves useful." He looked at Primula, and said: "You stay here." Without further ado, he stepped outside, and bore witness to the incinerated human being. Aree managed to acquire horses for them, with the intention of searching for reinforcements. Roe, however, disagreed on that course of action. The Wolves of Mirabon did not fight en masse.

He stepped up to Aree, and spoke in a low voice and with unusually liberal amounts of words.
"The demons are not a cause. They are a symptom. Reinforcements won't save these villagers, or end the demon infestation. If you want to be of use, stay until we figure out the source of the demons. The village elder is waiting to meet us tomorrow." He looked up at the full moon, and frowned. "And I have a feeling it won't be quiet tonight."

Suddenly, a red hue began to emit from under Roe's clothes. He frowned as he fished out a leather strap with a strange ruby pendant in it. The ruby was pulsating with a red light, dangerously so, almost as if warning of trouble. For a moment a hint of nostalgia washed over Roe's face as he tucked it back in under his shirt, and sighed, muttering to himself:

"To calm the Spirits of the Wolves of Mirabon, I must destroy the source of this infestation." He looked at Aree, and the rest of the villagers surrounding them, and said, sharply and coldly: "Grab your weapons. They're coming!" At that moment, a howling sound echoed through the night. Roe unsheathed his chokuto, and looked at Aree again. "If you're going, now's the time. If not, grab your weapon, and prepare to fight." With that, he ran towards the walls, and began the ascent up to where the guards were scrambling to prepare for what was most likely an attack by the same hound-like demons they had seen before.

(OOC: Sorry for the lateness, y'all. I'm doing unemployment stuff over here, and is working on joining the Army. Stuff like that has kept me busy for a while. Gomenasaaaaaaaaaai. :( )
Celtic - An alternate history RP

Loxley's blog

"A man must do two things in life - love women, and pay back his friends." Ryo Saeba, City Hunter
Loxley
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ariel » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:24 pm

His words stung.."If you want to be of any use." What an arrogant son of a ... She hesitated then swallowed her pride realizing he was probably right. Without a word, Aree nodded at Roe. She pulled the finely crafted sword from its scabbard and ran toward the gates.
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Ranryu » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:21 am

Trevon gulped the last of his tea as he walked toward the new comers. "I will try to get them from a deferent angle."

With an uncanny movement, reminding some of a spider, he scales the side of a stone house before running across the clumped homes.

Once he reaches a section of wall with the darkest shade covering Trevon pulls three arrows from a sealed quiver.

"That noisy alchemist better be right about this stuff." notching an arrow he lets loose three in a span of a heart beat. Each arrow hitting different trees causing a large scale reaction from each.
The two closest burst into a brilliant light that fades as it forms a magical shield to cover the least guarded half of the town. The third causes a series of light motes that charm and draw out any thing but Wizards into a well lit clearing where all can see.

Then the lure spell seemed to fizzle kicking in and out irregularly.

"Well I hope the shield is stronger than the lure."
When in Doubt Reload and Repeat.

(\__/) This is Bunny.
(='.'=) Cut, copy, and paste bunny onto your sig.
(")_(") Help Bunny gain World Domination.
Ranryu
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Postby Loxley » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:41 pm

((OOC: Just wanted to say, sorry for being so slow on replying. :P And also, I'm going away to the opposite end of Sweden tomorrow, for the tests with the Army. I'll be back on saturday, so I'll try and post then. ;) )

Loxley's blog

"A man must do two things in life - love women, and pay back his friends." Ryo Saeba, City Hunter
Loxley
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Loxley » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:44 am

Roe stopped for a moment and watched as Shadow created a magical shield over the town. A hum and a barely noticeable smile was his only reaction before, with his chokuto in its scabbard in his left hand, ran towards the walls, where Aree had already gone. Already, they could hear the clawing sound of demons climbing up the walls. Screams and shouts from the guards increased his pace, and, like Shadow, he quickly scaled the walls, only to instantly be met by one of the demons, launching towards his throat.

Roe, however, responded to the insect by unsheathing a small dagger, and stabbing it right in the heart as it launched towards him. He rolled backwards, then, throwing it over his own body, and away from the dagger. Tossing it sideways, he unsheathed his chokuto to face the next demonic hound, which reared it's ugly head over the wall trying to traverse it. Without mercy, he sliced off the head with its glowing red eyes, and watched as the creature fell to the ground while dissolving into thin air.

"Hmph... So they're just illusions..." He muttered to himself. "Though real enough to cause harm." He added when he saw another demon land on top of a guard. Without hesitation he tossed his chokuto as a spear at the beast. It impaled the creature's head from the side, killing it instantly, before falling down on the guard's chest as the demon disappeared.

Roe walked up and retrieved his sword, pulling the guard up on his feet.
"Th-thank you, sir..." The young boy stuttered. Roe's piercing eyes made him retreat, however, when they fell on him.
"You should not be here." Roe said coldly. "This is a place for warriors, not kids."

He spun around, and sliced into the side of another demon with a powerful backhand attack, finishing it off by thrusting the sword into the creature's chest as it snarled at him. He ignored the snarl, and lashed out with his sword, throwing the blood off of the blade.

The attack was ferocious, but the guards did a good job of holding, considering they had already been pressed badly for a few days. Archers fired burning arrows at the demons rushing the walls from the ground outside the village, while soldiers and villagers stood ready with swords and axes to chop away at any demons that reared their ugly heads over the edge of the wall. The Wolf of Mirabon could soon step away, and let the guards do their job.

Or so he thought. A scream from below in the village alerted him to a villager, pointing towards the center of the village.

"There are demons attacking the village elder!" He shouted.

Roe gritted his teeth hard.
"A diversion. I should've known it was too easy!" He cursed as he almost jumped down from the wall and darted into a run towards the village elder's hut, not turning around to see if Aree and Shadow followed him.

While Roe's cold attitude had already declared both as useless idiots that were only in the way of a Wolf of Mirabon, he knew better than that. They were both very skilled, and useful - but in Roe's eyes, it did not make them any less of nuiscances. He, like all Wolves of Mirabon, fought alone, or side by side with other members of his long-since dissolved order of demon hunters. Never side by side with outsiders. He was making exceptions, and he didn't like it, even for two as useful as those.

(OOC: I suck. Sorry, guys. I'm terrible at regular posting these days. >_< )

Loxley's blog

Loxley
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ariel » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:26 pm

Atop the wall, Aree came face to face with a creature of considerable size and bulk, pure hatred eminating from its fire red eyes. Calling upon the forces of energy from the powers that be, she wielded it toward the unsightly creature with malice. It screamed and writhed in pain and agony before falling to the ground with a loud thump then disintegrated to ash. She heard the distressed cries of the villagers and watched as Roe ran toward them.

More demon creatures made their way to the wall. She was out-numbered and uncertain that her powers would hold for very long. They came from the left and the right with a vengeance. With barely a moment to think, she held her sword high slicing through the closest demons. All the while concentrating on the force of the energy to stike at others. Suddenly she remembered the feather from the cat creature she had met. It had promised to come when she was in need but how? Was she supposed to hold the feather and will the winged wild-cat to appear? She only had two hands and currently they were holding on for dear life to her sword. Aree grew weary from the strain of using the force of the energy. How much longer could she hold out for? She stumbled but only for a moment, quickly gaining her stance. A myriad of thoughts raced through her mind. Would she die here in this little village far away from her home land at the hands of demons?

A great wooshing sound filled the air before she spotted her new cat friend and not a minute too soon. She grinned before all became black. The wild-cat gently held Aree in his talons, swooped down into the village and placed her outside the doors of a villager who could look after her. He spread his majestic wings and took to the air, dodging arrows and rocks being thrown from the unknowing villagers who mistook him for a creature of the dark.
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Loxley » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:36 pm

Roe reached the elder's large home just in time to see several shadow wolves enter. He leapt through the open doorway with a roar, swathing one of the creatures sideways. It dissolved into ash in the air, but before the ash had even touched the floor, Roe had killed a second and a third demon. His eyes took a quick look around the room, finding the village elder, as old and gnarled as his wooden staff, in his comfortable pillow-covered seat at the other end of the room, with inscense floating in the air in front of him. He didn't look afraid, despite the fact there were four more demons closing in on him.

Roe wasn't about to let them. His pride as one of the Wolves of Mirabon, wouldn't allow it. He launched himself into a run, and attacked. One of the wolves turned to face him at the sound of his footsteps, but fell to the thrust of his sword. Roe used his momentum to drag another wolf with him, tossing it over himself and into the wall. A cry of pain left his lips when its fangs dug into his arm moments before being pulled from it by the force of his momentum. As Roe landed on his back, he clutched his left arm while launched a kick to the face of a third wolf, proceeding to stab the fourth in the chest with a dagger.

As he rolled to his feet, he felt a sharp pain in his thigh as well. Looking down, he realized one of the wolves had bit him once more. He sent a fish right into the creature's face, the adrenaline in his body forcing away the pain that would otherwise overwhelm him. The creature flew away with a yelp, and Roe threw the dagger at it, hitting it in one of its eyes.

He turned around to face the last of the wolves, which had began to circle around him with a low growling, searching for an opening to attack. But even a wolf could not put fear into the heart of one of the Brothers of Mirabon, even if he was bleeding, tired and slowly being drained of life by his wounds. Roe let out a war cry as he thrust his sword forward in a running attack. The wolf leapt at him at the same time, only to be hit in the chest by the sword, which went straight through its spectral body, and nailed the creature to the wall of the hut, before it turned into dust.

Roe wobbled at that, the fight finally over. He took support against the wall, heaved a sigh, and looked at the elder, seemingly unbothered and oblivious of what had happened. It was a strange reaction to something that had nearly taken the man's life.

"We will talk later, Elder." Roe said with his usual cold tone of voice, before stepping outside into the fresh air once more. The cold air cleared his mind.

The fight outside, too, seemed to die out. Roe caught sight of Shadow, and Aree, at two different places in the village. There were still a few demons left, but none for a Wolf to be concerned about. For now, the demonic insurrection had been culled and were withdrawing. It was, however, time to go on the offense - to attack the enemy in their very lair. And slowly, a plan began to form in the mind of the last of the Wolves of Mirabon.

He approached Aree.
"We need to talk." He said. "About our next course of action. Fetch him..." He motioned with his head towards Shadow. "...and meet me in the elder's hut." With that, he took a few limping steps away, before he stopped, and added, with a low, gruff voice, almost as if unwilling to complement the woman: "You are not a Wolf of Mirabon. But you are courageous. You should be proud."

With that, he limped back towards the elder's hut, ignoring the gashs in his arm and leg. There would be time to wrap them up later - for now, they had plans to make.

Loxley's blog

Loxley
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ranryu » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:04 pm

(OOC... The life tries it's to get us down... I will not let it.... ow stop kicking me... err... Sorry for the wait i be back for a bit.)

Shadow grits his teeth as he watches a few wolf pups play about the field... "Not a single thing came to the lure... This is not something I like."

Easing down the wall he quickly moves through the shadows as he makes his way through the town one of the few without a limp.

"Well back to the planning shop."

Turning he steps into a shop labeled Wonders Emporium.

"Yo, you old codger the lure didn't work..."

An elderly man raises from his desk to stare at the rude intruder only to smile and raise showing a body bent by age and battle. In a raspy voice and a smiles while replying "Maybe if you used it right it would work better. Oh, how the young live with such impatience."

Shadow only chuckles as he hands the wizard a remaining lure arrow.

The look of concentration only passes the old man's face before he speaks. "You my friend have bee the but end of a corruption spell... It seems to have a delay of sorts causing it to flicker instead of changing it. Very curious. Come I have a few things you might like.... Mind you there are not cheap... but I swear they are quite flashy"
When in Doubt Reload and Repeat.

(\__/) This is Bunny.
(='.'=) Cut, copy, and paste bunny onto your sig.
(")_(") Help Bunny gain World Domination.
Ranryu
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Previous

Return to Lycoria: The Stories