speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

The Demon Lord

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

The Demon Lord

Postby Loxley » Sat May 08, 2010 3:54 pm

Their dry footsteps were the only thing that broke the silence of the cool and foggy morning as they wandered through the forest road that would take them to the village. His pack and sword slung over his shoulder, his eyes wandered from side to side like the eyes of a hawk. The fog made it difficult to see very far ahead, though. Not too far away, Aree and Primula both walked as well. Though Roe showed none of it, he felt the sinister air grow heavier the closer they came to the village. As a Wolf of Mirabon, he recognized that feeling.

A howl reached his ears, echoing eerily through the morning.

"Wolves..." He muttered.

That was when he threw a side-glance at Primula, who was pale in her face, and suddenly shaking with naked fear. She shook her head as she took a fearful step backwards.

"N-no...you're wrong..." She whispered. "I-it's not wolves..."

Roe snorted.
"Turn back then." He muttered. But the village was closer now than the Jaded Wayfarer where they had come from. Even as Roe continued to walk, he removed his chokuto from his back, and carried the sword and scabbard in his left hand, ready to unsheathe it at a moment's notice, while his eyes continued to search the surroundings.
Celtic - An alternate history RP

Loxley's blog

"A man must do two things in life - love women, and pay back his friends." Ryo Saeba, City Hunter
Loxley
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Blog: View Blog (3)

Re: The Demon Lord

Postby Ariel » Sun May 09, 2010 7:25 am

Aree spotted a number of herbs along their way, herbs that would be useful for medicinal purposes. Every so often she would bend and quickly pick some, carefully scrutinizing the vast array. Plants had a special energy and she smiled in recognition. She gathered them together, turned them upside down and tied them with ribbon that hung from her belt. They would need to dry.

The area they entered had an ominous feel to it though that did not deter her from her mission. She knew that what lie ahead was highly dangerous and her heartbeat quickened, but she continued with one foot in front of the other over the moss covered rocks and fallen twigs.
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Ariel » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:36 pm

There was a faint rustling sound just ahead. A furry little animal scurried down the tree trunk and ran off. Strangely, there were no bird calls to be heard which made Aree uncomfortable. Dappled sunlight fell through the branches of ancient trees illuminating their path. Spying a movement behind the brush Aree stopped in her tracks. Slowly the creature crouched down as if to attack, but Aree sensed it was only fear from the animal. It watched warily as she approached.

Its fur was white and mottled with a pattern of black. The creature's most prominant feature was the black feathered wings that sprouted at his sides. Silently the animal came out of his crouch and stood tall and proud. He must have been half the height of a man, had a muscular build and deep blue eyes. Aree had never seen such a beautiful wildcat in all of her existance.
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Loxley » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:40 pm

((OOC: Sorry about my lack of posting lately. I blame work. It's run me exhausted. BUT, today was my last day. ;) I'll make a longer contribution to the RP tomorrow. Promise. ;) ))

Loxley's blog

"A man must do two things in life - love women, and pay back his friends." Ryo Saeba, City Hunter
Loxley
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Loxley » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:49 am

Roe stopped at the sight of the creature. His right hand went to the grip of his nameless chokuto in his left hand, and he closed it hard around the green-woven embroidery covering the grip. At the same time he moved into a half crouching state, his sharp eyes watching the creature. Then, his eyes turned to his right side, and to his left side, and he muttered an annoyed:

"Tch..."

"W-what's wrong?" Primula asked him, her voice getting more and more nervous with every minute. Roe looked at Aree, and said:

"We're surrounded. There's about a dozen. Can you handle half?"

His eyes drifted to Primula, and he added:
"You can take a nap or something in the meantime. Stay out of the way."

Then, his eyes drifted to the creature, and he frowned, as if waiting to see if the creature was a foe or not. He projected his chi at it, his grip tight around his sword and his eyes emnating hostility, trying to provoke it into attacking, or fleeing. It was a common tactic to discern whether a person was a friend or foe on the battlefield, a technique that the Wolves of Mirabon commonly used in the narrow streets of the cities in the East, where the fighting was confused, and the enemy not always clear.

Loxley's blog

Loxley
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ariel » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:10 pm

Aree stepped cautiously forward, inching her way closer to the creature. She was filled with excitement and awe though still fearful not knowing what the beast might do. Finally she stood just in front of the huge cat. It watched her with curiosity. Ever so slowly she aproached the beast. It took equal steps toward her. She had learned many moons ago how to speak with animals mind to mind and asked what it wanted. "I am but one, not many. The others you see are the works of dark magic. I have come to fight the darkness." Aree smiled. "As are we." She replied.

"Roe, this one is real, the others are an illusion of dark magic at work. He wishes to fight the darkness. Do not harm the creature." Aree suddenly felt strange. What would he think of her? He must be wondering how she know this, or thinks she is mad. It was too late. The words had already been spoken.
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Loxley » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:46 am

Roe gave her a sideglance, and let out a slight "hmph".

"We will discuss the source of your knowledge later." He said, his tone holding the usual cold edge as his eyes scanned the forest surrounding them coldly. Then, his voice echoed like a whiplash: "Here they come!" He had barely managed to finish the words before a low, roaring snarl, that quickly escalated into a blood-freezing roar, echoed across the dirt road. At the same time, a large black hound-like creature flew out from the underbrush, launching towards Primula.

The poor girl ducked, placed her hands over her head and screamed.
The hell hound thought her an easy prey, licking his lips while still airborn.

Then, a black-clad human appeared in front of it, coming from out of nowhere, a straight sword glimmering menacingly in his right hand. With a wolf-like roar of his own, Roe's right hand lashed out at the hound in a back-hand slash with the sword, gashing it deeply by the creature's neck. But when it fell to the ground with a yelp, the hound quickly rolled back on its feet, blood gushing, and launched towards Roe instead of Primula. The swordsman met it head on with an intense single-hand thrust of his sword.

The thrust easily found its way right through the creature's chest, and Roe sidestepped it as the creature passed him by with sheer momentum. With a flick and twist of his hand, he managed to slide the sword out of the beast while it was still in mid-air. It landed with a roll in the dirt, and remained still. Suddenly, it began to dissolve into a dark mist.

"We can't stay here. There are more." Roe muttered. "Illusions or no, their claws still render flesh. We must make our way to the village. You, girl." He looked at Primula. "Lead the way."

"Y-yes..." Primula stuttered as she hurried ahead.

Loxley's blog

Loxley
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ariel » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:13 pm

Aree was startled by the sudden intrusion of enemies. She wished she could remember the magic of transformation so that she could shape shift into something fearsome, but there was no time for thinking, only action. A dark hooded figure came rushing toward her, his eyes a glowing red. With a swift motion, she pulled her blade from its scabbard and held it high. The sounds of metal clanking against metal filled the forest frightening the innocent creatures that lived within. They scurried onto the tall trees, burrowed into holes in the ground or flew away to safer lands. The dark being and Aree circled each other, staring with narrowed eyes, with calculated movements.

Aree screamed as she lost her balance tripping over a fallen branch and the hooded figure came closer. Quickly she found her balance and thrust the sword deep into its flesh. She pulled the blade out and watched the being fall. Breathless, she bent forward gasping for air. When she straightened out she saw the wildcat and could have sworn he smiled. Aree grinned. "Well, don't just stand there, we need someone like you on our side." They quickened their steps and followed after Roe and Primula cautiously looking from side to side.
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Loxley » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:25 pm

((OOC: I'm kind of angry at SV for not giving me an email alert when you reply. :( And I blame my slow replies on work, or rather, search therefor. Sooooooorry.... :( ))

The group moved along the path hurriedly, keeping a quick pace as driven on by Roe. Everyone looked around constantly as they moved. They could hear the creatures just beyond the veil of the forest surrounding them. Once in a while they saw glowing eyes in the darkness. Primula, scared lifeless, stayed close to Aree, sometimes so scared that she was shaking. Roe led the group, his hand never leaving the grip of his chokuto. Once in a while he stopped and gave Primula a questioning glimmer, as if asking what way to take. Primula then pointed in the right direction, and Roe proceeded without a word.

"Will that creature be a problem when we reach the village?" He suddenly asked, motioning towards Aree's new-found companion. Primula could only shrug in response, as she had no idea what had happened in the village since she had left it a couple of days earlier.

Suddenly, lights became visible up ahead. After a short while, they came out into a huge glade, where a large palisade surrounded a village. The gates were guarded by two men with spears, and there were plenty of torches burning along the palisade to keep it light. Beyond the palisades, they could barely see rooftops, as well as huts built in the treetops and tied together using bridges made of vines and ropes. It was an odd sight, especially with a "ceiling" of vegetation high above the village, blocking out any moon- or sunlight.

"This is...m-my home..." Primula mumbled as they approached the gates.

"Halt! Who goes there?" One of the guards called out to the group.

((OOC: I'll end my post here so you get some room to work with and write as well. Feel free to auto Primula at your leisure, as well as any of the villagers. ;) ))

Loxley's blog

Loxley
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby The Master » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:46 pm

[quote="Loxley"]((OOC: I'm kind of angry at SV for not giving me an email alert when you reply. :( And I blame my slow replies on work, or rather, search therefor. Sooooooorry.... :( ))

You are sure you are subscribed to this thread? Please check in your user panel for me.
The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (2)
Art: View My Art Gallery

Postby Loxley » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:49 pm

It was my bad, actually. Somehow I had missed an email alert telling me Ariel had replied to this thread. Sorry for the trouble. >_<

Loxley's blog

Loxley
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby The Master » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:25 pm

You can post another story installment to make it up to me. :smt065

(I just wanted to be sure I didn't mess something up during an update...thanks for double checking).
The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (2)
Art: View My Art Gallery

Next

Return to Lycoria: The Stories