speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

To Orceth: Side Adventure

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

To Orceth: Side Adventure

Postby Neurolanis » Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:13 pm

Hello there. This was a side adventure to "the Tomb of Orceth." It's been concluded, but new adventures are currently underway.
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Magus » Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:47 pm

Posted By: Neurolanis Aug 17, 2004 - 12:46 pm

**THIS IS A SIDE ADVENTURE TO "THE TOMB OF ORCETH". Outside the Jaded Wayfarer's Inn...**

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Aug 18, 2004 - 01:03 pm

(ok, i suppose i'll start. . . .)

Rieze sauntered out to the stables, looking around in anticipation. She told the bird, Chimaera, that was still on her shoulder, to let Aizlyn know she was coming and bringing friends. Rieze knew the way to the tomb, her great, great grandfather had been best of friends with the mage that had died. it was a long standing tradition of her kind to make the journey (alone) as a rite of passage. Rieze could still see the roads she had taken to get there. she needed no map.

her stallion, a beautiful horse of the deepest black that reflected blue highlights in its glossy mane, snorted anxiously in anticipation of another trip and chance to stretch his legs. Rieze grinned and swung herself into the saddle completely ignoring the hand a stable boy offered and the mounting block. they didnt have those in the wild.

Posted By: Magus Aug 18, 2004 - 01:28 pm

Sabal-Gah moved out the door, following Rieze. They had best depart as soon as they could. If not then they - he - would lose valuable time. And haste was needeed. This was a race to a most important and magically lucerative end. He would have to hurry this entorage of fools along. His "Momma and Poppa" story seemed to be working wonders on them. A little girl's desperate search for her parents had always worked before, to great leangths. He always got what he wanted in the end. Always.

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Aug 19, 2004 - 09:45 am

Rieze watched the little girl mount, again finding something odd to her.

'i'm watching you little one, you havent fooled me, i know youre up to something. . .' she thought to herself. if only she knew how close to the truth she was.

Posted By: Neurolanis Aug 19, 2004 - 11:57 am

Pashir rode over to them rather like a tall, broud-shouldered statue upon a horse. His voice was solid, very clear, and deep. "Which way bares us travel?" he asked, his word usage similar to that used by pirates and such poor ruffians.

Posted By: Magus Aug 19, 2004 - 01:46 pm

"The way which bares our passage." Sabal-Gah slipped, realising all to late that he had responded in the traditional response of the Marauders of the North. Too late now to change that. He had best keep up his guise and slip up no more. He could see that Rieze was eyeing him strangly. She sensed something. Of course she would, given her profession and training. But still... she didn't know, or probably even suspect. She only felt the... offness... of this little girl. He could make this work still, if he was careful.

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Aug 20, 2004 - 09:10 am

Rieze reckognized the verses that were customary to the pirates of the far north. they may have been rough and a little off, but they were fun people all the same. she'd adopted a ship as her 'family' a few years back, but they'd died in a tragic shipwreck. so was her life. she wondered how the little girl knew the phrases, but decided to feign innocence, as if she didn't reckognize the phrases. there was definately something wrong with the little girl. the aura of ill-will clung to her, Rieze knew it all too well. she loosened the bonds that held a dagger just above her wrist, in case; disguising the movement to seem as if her wrist itched.

"i tink ve could risk de shortcut, dis child looks sturdy enough." she commented, gracefully charging from the stall which her horse had been sheltered in. Stable boys scattered and under her breath, Rieze almost chuckled. she turned her stead at the door, witing for the others.

"vell, does anyvon else have an opinion?" she asked.

Posted By: Magus Aug 20, 2004 - 09:18 am

Sabal-Gah desided this was an opportune time to spring back. "My momma and poppa... we can't wait! I have to get to them!" Hot tears began rolling down the little girl's cheaks in heavy beads. He really was a good actor when he applied himself.

Posted By: Neurolanis Aug 20, 2004 - 10:33 am

"We'll get you there," promised Pashir. "I'll personally assure you on that, little one."

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Aug 20, 2004 - 10:35 am

Rieze almost snorted at the fake tears, she'd seen enough to know real emotion. or was it just her suspicious side, Engano mento was really just a little lost girl. . .

Rieze instead looked to Pashir, as if to say, you handle this.

Posted By: Magus Aug 20, 2004 - 10:36 am

Tears still dripped fro her eyes that now grew big and sparckled like precious 'shinies'. "Thank you, noble sir. Thank you."

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Aug 20, 2004 - 10:55 am

Rieze rolled her eyes and spoke, but not harshly, just in case the girl really was just that, a little girl.

"vell, if your need be so great, i tink ve should go then, yeah?" she tried her best to find better, flowing words, but Rieze never really was the talker. she was the fighter, Kieze was the speaker. besides, she wasn't even speaking her own language.

Posted By: Neurolanis Aug 20, 2004 - 05:33 pm

"Not at all," said Pashir.

Posted By: Magus Aug 20, 2004 - 07:34 pm

"Please, we must hurry."

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Aug 21, 2004 - 05:57 pm

Rieze held a strange forboding in her heart, but knew, somehow, that she had to hurry the small band along, evn if it was what the strange girl wanted.

"yes, lets hurry den. vhere is dis hidden road, den?" she asked, her impatience growing stronger by the moment. something was wrong, very wrong. but what?

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Aug 23, 2004 - 10:41 am

when her companions were silent, Rieze's fiery temper took the best of her. she wheeled her horse around sharply, and rode out of he stable, not really caring if the others followed or if they decided not to. she had to meet up with Aizlyn to give her the news about Raziz. . . .

Posted By: Magus Aug 23, 2004 - 11:10 am

Sabal-Gah saw his hopes of finding his brother, quite literally, dash away before him. He wistled sharply between his teeth. His great black mare, nearly six hands larger then even the greatest war-horses stormed out of the stables. He mounted quickly and dashed after Rieze.

Of coarse, that's not at all what the others saw. They saw a little girl wistle softly and a medium sized pony pranced gently out of the stalls. She mounted it with a little difficulty and gallopped after Rieze. Even if the speed of the pony was impressive and drew more than it's share of attention, it was nothing truly suspicious. After all, some of the group seemed to come under the impression that Engano was well off, a noble perhaps. It would only assist their thinkning that she'd have a fine mount that would suite her, like her sandy colored pony.

Posted By: Neurolanis Aug 24, 2004 - 12:29 pm

**Along their journey to the east, they come upon a small hut on a lone hill. Lightning breaks upon the sky, thunder shaking everywhere. It begins to rain.**

"Looks abandoned," said Pashir.

Posted By: Magus Aug 24, 2004 - 03:16 pm

"I doubt it." Enganar pouted.

Red lightening streeked overhead and the thunderclap followed shortly after. The are was illuminated. Black shapeless figures slunk and cringed in the shadows, moving slyly into the shadows again.

Red lightening scarred the sky once more. The shapes were gone, but a great weight seemed to fill the air. Hair stood on end, despite the dampness and the mare's whinned loudly in reproach.

"Told ya." She grimmly noted, sinister pleasure at her own innate knowledge ringing in her tone. But it was easily dismissed. The battle was nigh.

Posted By: SirJill Aug 24, 2004 - 04:51 pm

Digger cantered up easily behind them, having had to settle a few matters at the Inn before departing. He had snuck up behind the party, not expecting to surprise Pashir nor really any of the others. He reigned up beside Rieze and nodded to the hut, "There are people in here, as you've probably seen. If M'Lady would like to stay there for the night I would," He smiled a little, "Clear them off."
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Magus » Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:47 pm

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Aug 27, 2004 - 01:44 pm

Rieze snorted and grinned widely, not reaqlly intending to reveal her true smile so soon, but it sliiped out. on such a face as hers it could be called stunning. she'd seen the stares men had sent her before, and that was partly why she veiled it.

"my good sir, surely you do not mean me?" she'd never really been a lady, never really caring, but this rough man was trying to be a gentleman so she figured she would play along, for the moment at least. no reason to startle the little girl with her power, yet.

"no, i tink ve should not diisturb de people. dey are probably naught but farmers, and i personally could do without making more enemies. you could, if you vant, beg for shelter for the night, but i have been out in vorse. dis is noting."

Posted By: SirJill Aug 27, 2004 - 02:02 pm

Digger nodded and swung off his horse. If he had known Rieze thought him rough he probably wouldn't have been highly amused. It was also surprising because he did not have the coarse look that many of the other bounty hunters did and he realized this long ago. Courtesy got him more jobs.
He moved up off toward the house and ducked inside, looking for an occupant. "Hello?"

Posted By: Magus Aug 28, 2004 - 10:32 am

Lightening flashed once more. The invisable figures were back again. This time they were only one dozen yards off.

Lightening flashed twice more. This time they were only six off. Swords free of their sheaths could now be seen. Sickles were in the hands of some, pitchforks in the hands of others. A sinister air clung to them. In the distance a crow sang its foreboding song.

Posted By: SirJill Aug 28, 2004 - 11:42 am

Digger, hearing the soft sounds of a mob outside, left the house. He rejoined the party, studying the newcomers seriously and then shooting a glance at Pashir. He drew his sword and hailed them.

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Aug 28, 2004 - 01:10 pm

Rieze reached into her cape, gripping her sword with one hand, her silver-tipped whip (her specialty) with the other. she held the whip at the ready, but left the sword in the sheath. something was wrong. the girl didnt seem that frightened and seemed to know them somehow. Rieze locked eyes with the youngster and used her no-nonsense tone of voice.

"do you know dem, Engano?"

Posted By: SirJill Aug 28, 2004 - 02:05 pm

Suddenly Digger began laughing. He sheathed his sword and replaced it with a dagger. Before the child could react he held one arm around her neck and the other checking the air above her. "I apologize, M'Lady, I had forgotten about this one. Now," He looked down at the child, "Tell us who you really are or I'll slit your throat."

If the child didn't answer immediately, or Digger sense she was lying, he would kill her on the spot.

Posted By: Magus Aug 28, 2004 - 04:27 pm

Sabal-Gah didn't move. How had he been found out so soon? He should have been fine for a few more days at the least, a few more weeks if he played it out properly. But they had found him out. At least, they found out that there was more to him. Fortunately he didn't need incantations to cast illusions. These figures were not his, but he recognised them for what they were.

Sabal-Gah began his illusion. He might still be able to have these fools lead him to his brother, if he played his cards properly. But this form had reached its usefulness. It was time to move on. It was time to put on his best face and play out his role.

"Bravo, Bravo. I didn't expect to be found out so soon. My compliments to you all." He began, still in the guise of the little girl. "They are shades, men who have been possessed by foul demons. Typically they are used for manual labor, although they have been known to be fitted as soldiers. They will be reverted back to humans when the dawn's light touches their bodies. If I guess right that should be in only a little while. But they are savages, mighty in streangth and speed. I will assist you, if you let me free. I can help defeat them."

Posted By: SirJill Aug 29, 2004 - 07:52 am

Digger stiffened when his captive mentioned 'men who have been possessed by foul demons' but quickly pushed it back. This was no time to let his emotional side rule him. Instead, he studied the shades--making a decision. Finally after a few moments he pulled the knife across the girl's throat, drawing a line of blood. "I don't play games--now tell us who you are or I'll widen that cut. Besides, those shades are probably attracted to blood. I'd say we throw you to them and make off in the time it takes them to eat you, eh?"

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Aug 29, 2004 - 08:29 am

Rieze grinned, glad that she wasnt the only one to have sensed that perhaps "engano mento" was not who she claimed to be. but the girl was not what concerned her, it was the shades.

she'd heard of them, she'd heard they could only be killed by striking them in the heart or banished by the will power of the human posessed. she'd never encountered one in all her travels, but was up to a challenge. she took off her heavy cloak and dismounted from her horse. Rieze nodded to Digger who seemed to be handling whatever the little girl really was, and she drew her sword and whip, ready for battle. she hoped Pashir would assist her with the shades, he seemed a competent man on the battlefield.

Posted By: Magus Aug 29, 2004 - 03:06 pm

Lightening flashed and illuminated the area. The shades were closer now. Some were two yards off and some were even closer.

One of the shades lunged at digger and tore him away from Sabal-Gah. The shade drew its sword and made to stab him in the chest.

A second shade appeared behing Engano. It drew its sword and ran it across her neck, spilling her hot blood over the ground. She crumpled like a rag doll and the shade moved on towards Rieze.

Posted By: SirJill Aug 30, 2004 - 12:15 pm

Digger dodged to the side, the shade's sword just missing his body, but cutting though his clothing in a tear that nearly halved it across his chest. He didn't spare another glance at Engano--the child was probably dead anyway. Instead he kept his attention on the shade in front of him, lashing out at it with his sword. The blow would probably serve to either decapitate the sword arm, or, if the shade was fast, made a deep cut.

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Aug 30, 2004 - 12:48 pm

Rieze grinned at the shade that had cut down the imposter that had been in their midst and was now advancing to her.

"vell, i didn't like that von much anyvay." she said rhetorically, shrugging off her dead companion. she was no stranger to death, no friend of those between. her whip cracked a she spun in a deadly spiral, sword, spike, sword,spike. the shade looked almost confused as she flicked her whip past its face and danced off again. quick hands, quick feet, that was her advantage. she licked her lip waiting for the creature to move next.

Posted By: Magus Aug 30, 2004 - 03:48 pm

Nearly a dozen more shades came from the shadows of the land. They advenced ever toward the party. Most were solom and stolid. Some, however; cackled madly and brandished their blades and weapons around like madmen. Some grinned sinisterly and others could not be read.

Lightening flashed again overhead. The land was illuminated sickly.

Posted By: SirJill Aug 30, 2004 - 04:05 pm

Digger made several feints and then drove his sword home with a force that nearly cleaved the shade in two. He removed the sword quickly, watching as the shade crumpled down into a man's body. He blinked, almost surprised and then looked up, finding another foe and rejoining the battle, fully again.

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Aug 31, 2004 - 11:55 am

Rieze saw her companions fighing with as much force as they could, spewing corpses over the countryside. digger looked confused as the ones he cut down turned back to men, as normal as he. she saw a skinny, bony looking weak shade raise a curved sickle over its head, aiming at Digger's back. in an instant, Rieze's dagger flew from her boot, through the air past digger's face and embedded itself in the creature's jugular vein. Punching an advancing shade square in the face, she raised her eyebrows at Digger who looked at her oddly.
" youre velcome." she said plainly, pulling the small blade from it's victim's corpse and moving elsewhere, making her own path of fallen enemies.

Posted By: SirJill Aug 31, 2004 - 12:52 pm

Digger snorted, but only when his employer was out of earshot and had found another foe to occupy her. He paused for a moment and looked around at the others, first seeing if anyone was in trouble and second to see how many of the foe were left. Their number was waning rapidly and he stepped back, clutching his sword and trying to figure out where the shades had come from. He still didn't know if he felt right about the child dying in such a fashion.

Two more shades came up behind Rieze--just as his attention wandered back to her. He took a few steps forward at a run, drew his own dagger and flung it at one of the shades. It hit the man in the back and nearly went though. He crumpled to the ground and Digger made to tip an imaginary hat at Rieze; returning the favor.

Posted By: Neurolanis Aug 31, 2004 - 07:15 pm

Pashir fought defenecively, stabbing down the Shades as they came to him. He went before the "little girl" to protect her, unsure who she was. The Shades were all defeated, bur haunting shadows lifted up from the dead bodies, twisting around together to form a collective consciousness far above them. It seemed to grow more and more sinister. Pashir shook his head, stepping back. He hated magic and Demons. "What now?"

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Sep 01, 2004 - 12:12 pm

Rieze grinned widely, pretending to curtsey to digger as she wiped the blood from her sword and dagger. she made her way over to where pashir was standing and brushed her long hair from her face as she suggested they continue on. Rieze had amazing stamina for someone of her size and usually didn't need to sleep for days at a time. sometimes she tended to forget that humans had to rest once every 24 hours.

Posted By: Mir Sep 01, 2004 - 01:31 pm

From the shadows not to distant from the battle, strange green eyes watched the fight. Hex's midnight blue hair fell about her face, partially blocking her veiw at times, but the scene was evident enough.

Pulling her black feathered cape more tightly about her to conceal herself, she gradually crept closer to the party, not sure how they would react should a dark elf appear at that moment.

Several paces away she froze, crouching low to the ground and clinging to the night wrought shadows. In this position she waited, hoping that the party would see her and make the first move.

Posted By: SirJill Sep 01, 2004 - 01:41 pm

Digger, who had relaxed his grip on the sword, tightened his hand again. He swung the sword one handed and moved forward so he was standing a few feet away from where he thought someone was crouch.
"Who's there?" He barked, holding the sword aggressively.
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Magus » Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:48 pm

Posted By: Mir Sep 01, 2004 - 01:59 pm

"Do not be alramed when I show myself, I fear to battle you as I am now."

Slowly Hex rose from her position, revealing herself. She stood slightly over five feet, completely shrouded in a dark cape with the hood pulled back to reveal her face. She leaned slightly to the right, favoring her seriously injured leg.

Thus she stood, waiting for the lightning to flash and reveal her to the party. She could only hope that they would not be put off by what she was and attack her in her injured state.

Posted By: Neurolanis Sep 01, 2004 - 02:04 pm

"What are you?" asked Pashir.

Posted By: Mir Sep 01, 2004 - 02:17 pm

"Can't you see? Perhaps the light is not so good here." She winced in pain and almost fell, barely catching herslelf before she tumbled forward.

With a tremble in her voice she spoke again, afraid that they would reject her as soon as she identified herself. Were she not wounded, she would not have even sought them out. All she could do was hope that they would let her join them; she needed help and protection at the moment, "I am a dark elf."

Posted By: SirJill Sep 01, 2004 - 03:25 pm

Digger brandished the sword a little, "No, we can't see for the darkness. Now off with you, we're not taking any others with our party." He looked at her disdainfully, "Especially not those who are wounded."

Posted By: Mir Sep 01, 2004 - 04:15 pm

Hex moved back a little, dissapointed that they had so quickly dismissed her. She shook her head her resolve strengthening. These were the first and probably only people that she had found or would find. They may not want her in her present state, but if they were to help her now and her powers recovered...she would prove more help than they could imagine.

"Do not so quickly dismiss me. I am injured, but I am a powerful necromancer. If you give me your aide now I will help any way that I may in the furture. I promise I will prove more benifit than burden."

She held her ground, staring at them and waiting for their response.

Posted By: SirJill Sep 01, 2004 - 04:27 pm

Digger harrumphed. "We have no time to waste now." He snapped, "We journey to Avanoor--the road is difficult and we cannot stop for someone who is wounded. Now off with you!"

Posted By: Magus Sep 01, 2004 - 04:42 pm

Shabel-Grah forced himself to contain a sinister fit of laughter that had threatened to reveal himself. How masterful his plan was. Fake the death of a little girl, then cast a spell of illusion around himself. He was an invisible phantom, undetectable by any means. Of coarse, his voice could still give him away.

Sabal-Gah cast a silent spell of illusion over the land. It was as if a stiff and heavy gust of roaring wind swept over the company.

He silently krept over to the necomer. He could be useful to him. While the wind was at its zenith he whispered slyly into this necromancer's ear.

"Don't be alarmed, stranger. They may dismiss you for what you are, but I will embrace you for it. I will cause a distraction in a moment's time. If you want my company then make for the shed. Tell them not about me, they are not to be trusted."

He cast another silent spell of illusion over the group. The "corpse" of Engano Mento slowly rose and stadied herself. She bore her bloodied teeth and jumped at the party, pulling a scimitar from behind her back.

"Choose now." He whispered before he left for the cpver of the shed.

Posted By: SirJill Sep 01, 2004 - 04:54 pm

Digger was torn; almost. He heard, rather than saw the girl rise up and run toward them brandishing the scimitar. But his problem was the dark elf. She wasn't--doing anything. She hadn't reacted to the wind at all. At least not outwardly and his senses were practically screaming at him.

Something's wrong here.

He started, ever so slightly. She hadn't spoken to him in ages it seemed.

What?

Something's wrong here; that girl wasn't killed with at scimitar, so where'd she get it?

He bit his lip, turning toward the girl and raising the sword as if to behead her. But a few seconds before she was close enough to strike out at him he chanced a glance over his shoulder at the elf again.

You're right. By the Gods, you're right, Elira.

Posted By: Mir Sep 02, 2004 - 11:43 am

Hex had slowly crept away as the girl attacked, her injured leg making travel a little harder than it should have been. She kept close to the ground, easily blending into the ground with her black cape and dark clothing.

Lightning flashed across the sky, and for a brief moment she feared discovery, but no noise was made. She must truly be out of the group's sight.

Still not sure of the voice, but certain that it was the only help that she would get, she crawled towards the shed. When she finally made it, she collapsed onto the floor in relief and softly called out, "I am here now, what do you want of me?"

Posted By: Magus Sep 02, 2004 - 11:50 am

"Step into the light, please." Sabal-Gah said in a very comforting sort of way; like a brother or another close relation.

Indeed, a soft light appeared out of nowhere in the center of the room. It cast a circle on the dirt floor about two yards in diameter. The rest of the shack was owned by the shadows.

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Sep 02, 2004 - 11:59 am

Rieze knew there was something wrong when the dead girl jumped at them. digger seemed to sense it too. as he moved toward engano (or what was left of her body) he stopped, looking after the strange dark elf. engano sped towards him, her scimitar held out, glinting dangerously. just before she'd decended upon digger, whose attention was elsewhere, Rieze dashed forward and caught the corpse in a flying tackle. she knew scimitars were no good in close combat, which was why she dared such a risky move. the hilt of a dagger she had hidden beneath her sleeves fell into her palm. in a second it was embedded in the corpse's heart. Rieze rolled over, away from the body and saw the two men watching her with mixed looks of amusement and confusion.

"dont just stand dere fools! follov de klundor!" she hissed then sprung to her feet in a show of cat-like agility and flexibility. she changed slowly, fluidly, melting from one form to another. a sleek, midnight black panther pounced forward. rieze was powerful in her skill, not only able to transform herself, but her clothes as well. it was a rare gift, not one that was seen often, and it heralded her inner strength and power.

the panther darted forward, violet eyes searching for the dark elf.

Posted By: Mir Sep 02, 2004 - 12:56 pm

Hex slowly stepped forward into the light, cautious as to what this strange voice wanted of her. Surely it tried to sound comforting, but Hex had suffered much at the hands of those that sounded similar. The scars and injuries would never fully heal, nor would her sense of turst.

"What do you want of me; and who or what are you?"

Hex stood motionless, one hand carefully positioned over the bone wand that she carried hidden under her cloak.

Posted By: Magus Sep 02, 2004 - 03:35 pm

Outside lightening struck again, scarring the sky. The shades all awoke again, or at least that's what the party saw. They had multiplied also, ten times what they had been. Sabal-Gah figured this could keep them busy for a long enough time to complete his business.

Posted By: Magus Sep 02, 2004 - 03:43 pm

"I want only your company. You tried to make friends of an evil company, bent on rejoining their evil master, my brother; Shabel-Grah. I can see from here that you are not evil, not in the least. Allow me to introduce myself."

He stepped forward from the shadows. He came to Hex as a warm man of creamy complexion. His eyes were pools of blue and his hair was fine and blond as spun gold. He stood near six feet tall. He was mightily built, and yet showed a soft and gentle way about him. He wore an azure robe with golden designs about it. They were typical designs of the lordly necromancers to the East, ones well trusted and respected among the circles of all mages. His hood was down, exposing the fine features of his illusionary face. To his side was a wand made of golden bone.

"My name, milady, is Encantador Demonio. I am a necromancer like yourself. My brother is one of a vile nature who seeks the Jewel of Orceth to further his own dark ends of malice and destruction. Those outside are nothing but his minions seeking to rejoin with their fell companion. I ask you to join me in my quest, to help all of this world."

Posted By: Mir Sep 02, 2004 - 03:54 pm

Hex looked him over carefully, not sure. She was surprised that he appeared to be another necromancer, and was even more surprised to see the gentle look about him. It was almost to good to be true, but in her wounded state she was beyond questioning anyone at the moment.

Slowly she took a step towards him and nearly fell, only to right herself at the last moment. "Will you help me? Will you heal me? Can you do this?" Her eyes were pleading, her wounded soul crying for someone to trust, just as her body cried for a healer.

Posted By: Magus Sep 02, 2004 - 04:13 pm

Sabal-Gah gave a kind and comforting smile through his facade. "Of course, milady."

He stpped closer and kneeled next to her wounded leg. Silently he cast his illusionary magic over the wound. To keep up the facade he began a chant of healing, useless to him in truth; not having the magical prowessin the healing arts. But this was a powerful illusion he would cast on the girl. She would feel no pain from this wound. She would feel refreshed all over. She would look at the wound and think it healed.

"Valencea berro berro. There, are you feeling any better, milady?" He said, offering a kind smile to her.

Posted By: Neurolanis Sep 02, 2004 - 05:06 pm

Pashir did not like magic, yet a faint smile found its way to his face when the Klundor woman became healed.

Posted By: Mir Sep 03, 2004 - 11:24 am

Hex looked at her leg, amazed that the horrible gash seemed healed. The wound that had plagued her for so long was completely gone. She flexed her leg experimentally and gave Encantador Demonio a slight and hesitant smile. She gave him a nod, "You have my eternal gratitude...any way I can be of help to you...don't hesitate to ever ask."

Slowly she stood, taking a quick walk about on her "newly healed" leg. She found it quite to her satisfaction and turned to him, "Please take this."

She reached out and handed him a small bone whistle, carefully carved into the shape of an eye. With a serious expression, she explained it's purpose, "Being what and as I am, I sometimes must leave to focus my powers and calm my mind. This whistle will allow you to call me when you need me."

Posted By: Magus Sep 03, 2004 - 11:54 am

"Mt thanks to you, milady." Sabal-Gah said as he gave a traditional necromancer's bow. "I shall call on you if I am in need. But we must go now. Those fiends are closing in on our location. I wouldn;t want anything to happen to either of us, lest our quest for the good of all fail. Quickly now," He said, casting a silent spell of invisibility over the two of them, unknown to Hex. "We must away in haste."

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Sep 03, 2004 - 12:33 pm

Rieze, in a panther's form, was able to track the klundorian woman's scent to a small shed, but before she got close enough to hear what was going on, or enter, the dead bodies of the shades lifted from the ground and multiplied by ten. Rieze looked around, wondering where Pashir had gotten to. she leaped into a congregation of shades who had gathered around digger, attracted to his blood.

once again, in a whirl of black and dark purple, Rieze was in a human-like form again, she turned to digger and spoke quietly and shortly, parrying the blows delt by the shades at the same time.

"vhere is pashir? did he go avter de klundor? someting is vrong. i can feel it."
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Magus » Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:49 pm

Posted By: SirJill Sep 03, 2004 - 12:42 pm

"Agreed." Digger shouted over the clash of swords. He shoved his sword deep into another shade and stabbed one who was coming to his side with the dagger several times while he got his sword free. Then he swung it around and beheaded it; retrieving his dagger.
"I didn't see him but I think he's either in, or is watching that girl." He shook his head and decapitated another shade. "But you're right--something stinks here." He took a quick look around, there being an absence of shades for the time being and nodded to Rieze, making a mad dash for the shed. He stood in the doorway, holding the sword in front of him as if holding back foes...which could be.

Posted By: Mir Sep 03, 2004 - 12:56 pm

Hex looked to the man again, tyring to figure him out. He had helped her, and in return, she had promised her help to him, but something was strange here. To start with, why were the shades not here, attacking them as well, surely they should be... Furthermore, something about the man rubbed her the wrong way. What was a gentle necromancer doing in a place like this? Was he merely following these minions?

Questions flowed through Hex's mind so rapidly that she had to hold her hands to her head to slow them. She suddenly fell to one knee, a horrendous pain racing through her mind. She opened her mouth in a silent scream, blank eyes staring at the ceiling. She remembered this pain...this was the same pain she had suffered so long ago...

Posted By: Magus Sep 03, 2004 - 01:40 pm

"Are you well milady?" Sabal-Gah asked. He took a step forward to catch her as she fell.

She better not die, he thought. How will I be able to use her otherwise?

"I think you should sit and rest awhile. I have placed sacred seals over this shed. We will be safe from any demons like the shades outside so long as we stay here. Dawn, I think, or mayhap even afterwards will be a good enough time to start out. The shades will either dissapate or go into hiding by then. It should be safe enough when the day breaks."

Sabal-Gah almost let forth a slight snicker at his own words. He only was willing to stay here for his ability to hide the both of them he thought was sufficient. The shades had all been killed off by the party, only his illusions remained. He could afford to stay here as long as he wished. He could always send more illusions to slow down the progress of the party he was tracking. And besides, he could always use this necromancer to further his own ends.

Posted By: Neurolanis Sep 03, 2004 - 01:44 pm

Pashir re-entered, from a back door. "I saw a strange form moving out there," he said. "Some evil be tracking us. I like it not."

Posted By: Magus Sep 03, 2004 - 01:48 pm

Sabal-Gah looked into Pashir, directly into his eyes. He knew his illusion would hold, it would have to. If it didn't then they would indeed be discovered. And Sabal-Gah couldn't read into this man like he could others. He couldn't predict what he might do.

Posted By: Neurolanis Sep 03, 2004 - 01:52 pm

Pashir seemed suspicious, but said nothing of it.

Posted By: Mir Sep 03, 2004 - 01:55 pm

Hex slowly clamed, the pain easing back into the depths of her mind. At her side, the bone wand glowed stark white, so full of power that it was near bursting.

Shaking her head to clear it of the fogginess that always followed the pain, she looked up. She saw that the other necromancer was looking in a different direction and followed his gaze. To her surprise, she saw another person standing in the door. Ever so slowly she stood and reached for her wand.

Posted By: SirJill Sep 03, 2004 - 02:00 pm

Digger stood in the doorway, surprised the couldn't enter, but astounded at the conversation he was hearing.
Where they that blind that they did not notice him? He withdrew quickly, his cloak making a small snapping sound as he moved out of the doorway to the side of the shack. He thought for a second of calling Rieze, but that would spoil his chances of hearing more. So he stayed.

Posted By: Magus Sep 03, 2004 - 02:05 pm

••••! Sabal-Gah thought. He obviously saw them. Did his illusion break? No, it couldn't have. Is there something so unique about that man? Can he see through them? No, it must be the illusions. He had cast so many so soon... it must have weakened his latest. ••••! He would have to be careful.

Posted By: Neurolanis Sep 03, 2004 - 02:06 pm

"I don't like this place," said Pashir, sratching his bald head. "Do we plan to spend the night here? If so, I'll have to keep my good eye open."

Posted By: SirJill Sep 03, 2004 - 02:11 pm

So who's side is Pashir on? I thought he was working for Rieze...Digger wondered. He kept his distance a few inches away from the edge of the hut, still listening carefully. He was no intensely curious about that girl. She was probably the Necromancer's puppet--but this, this was all too confusing. He would have to remain where he was and hope no one came out of the shed.

Posted By: Mir Sep 03, 2004 - 02:14 pm

"Can they see us?" Hex's voice was low, almost a whisper. She drew slightly closer to Encantador Demonio. The wand at her side throbbed with power, just begging to be used. Hex, however, did not want to use her powers unless there was any other choice.

Posted By: Magus Sep 03, 2004 - 02:45 pm

"Yes." Sabal-Gah answered in a hushed tone, barely even a whisper. "Yes they can."

Sabal-Gah didn't want to make his move yet. Maybe he could use this to his advantage. Maybe he could use Pashir the way he intended to use Hex.

Posted By: Mir Sep 03, 2004 - 03:19 pm

Hex slowly touched her wand, getting ready to use it should anything threatening happen. The shear power from within it made the whole wand vibrate. If something didn't happen soon, the power might overwhelm her.

Posted By: Mir Sep 03, 2004 - 04:12 pm

Hex gripped the wand tightly, realizing that it was about to unleash its energy wether she wanted it to or not. She quickly brought it out in front of her and gripped it with both hands, trying to surpress the power and make it dissipate before something bad happened.

Suddenly there was a blinding flash and Hex stumbled backwards. She suddenly tripped over something and fell, dropping the wand and hitting her head hard on the floor. Her vision blured and she couldn't focus. She fought valiantly against the oncoming darkness, but felt herself falling. Soon all she knew was darkness.

Posted By: Magus Sep 03, 2004 - 04:37 pm

Sabal-Gah looked at the collapsed form in front of him. She had a backlash of magical energy. It was an incredably powerful one at that. He could only image what she could do when she wasn't supressing it.

He stooped down and plucked up the wand that had fallen beside her. It might come in handy to have. He would have to further investigate it. But now he could at least relax his illusion.

His illusionary form shimmered in the light. It winked and waved like a mirage in the desert. Slowly it faded and was replaced by his true form.

His robe was pitch black, and not blue. The symbols were indeed gold, but showed off that he was an illusionist and not a necromancer. His face was hidden partially in the shadows of his hood.

This was soon rectafied as he pulled it back. His black eyes stared out of their whites. His white teeth were like fangs of a demon, peeling back into a terrable grimace. His skin was sandy, but dark as if it was covered with its own film of black shadows.

The golden wand at his side became a long dagger with a white hilt and a black blade. His fingers became long and boney, his nails became like talons of a great beast. He took on a far more sinister form then he wore for show.

This was darkness. This was evil incarnate. This was Sabal-Gah, the illusionist. This is the man who killed his parents at the age of eleven and who hunts his brother still; the man who wants nothing more then then the death and pain of any creature born of the light. This is the man with no soul. This is Sabal-Gah.

Posted By: SirJill Sep 03, 2004 - 04:40 pm

And Digger chose this moment to enter the shack. He stopped; frozen, his sword in front of him and his mouth open slightly.
"Goddess."

Posted By: Magus Sep 03, 2004 - 04:54 pm

Sabal-Gah whirled around, amazed that he had been spied upon. He had expected this small moment of relief to come with some privacy. But it had come with none.

He drew his black dagger and pointed it at Digger. It glowed with a malicious green light that danced around the blade like a sinister flame.

"What did you see. Speak now or you may find yourself a lesser man."

Posted By: SirJill Sep 03, 2004 - 05:32 pm

Elira? I could use some help right now.

You know I can't do talking--if he sends anything I'll block it though.

Alright. Done.

"A lesser man? Pray--magician, you think I have been immune to all your tricks?" He pulled up his tunic sleeve revealing a long gash that nearly bisected his arm and raised his eyebrows slightly.

Posted By: Magus Sep 03, 2004 - 06:47 pm

Sabal-Gah allowed himself a rare smile. "You are even a greater fool than I thought. Look at your arm again, you'll find it quite unspoiled."

Sabal-Gah was cackling on the inside. The fool couldn't even tell that his gash was nothing more than an illusion. He could relieve that though. No need to drag this out needlessly.
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Magus » Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:49 pm

Posted By: SirJill Sep 03, 2004 - 07:06 pm

Digger smiled quietly and withdrew his hand from his arm. "You miss my meaning, Sir Magician. I meant that while I could see a wound--I felt no pain from it. And oddity indeed."

Posted By: Magus Sep 03, 2004 - 07:24 pm

"An illusion of pain is quite different from an illusionary being causing pain. They are two entirely separate entities. The former may happen while the latter may not."

Posted By: SirJill Sep 03, 2004 - 07:48 pm

"Enough of your games, Magician." Digger said shortly. "I know the wound is not real--there is no pain, I can use the arm normally. Now what are you doing in these woods?" His tone was quiet and threatening.

Posted By: Magus Sep 03, 2004 - 08:08 pm

Another sinister smile escaped Sabal-Gah. "I want what every man wants, and nothing more."

Posted By: SirJill Sep 03, 2004 - 08:26 pm

Digger didn't ask. Instead he advanced into the hut and stood over the fallen body of Hex. "What are you doing with her? I have reason to suspect you--and you, Sir, already have your quotient of suspiscion."

Posted By: Magus Sep 03, 2004 - 08:27 pm

"Yes," He mused, "I suppose we do have that, if nothing else."

Posted By: SirJill Sep 03, 2004 - 08:28 pm

Digger pulled his dirk. "I will ask one time more--what are you doing here, Magician?"

Posted By: Magus Sep 03, 2004 - 08:34 pm

Sabal-Gah couldn't help but cackle out in laughter. "I suppose I have no other choice, now do I." He said as one would concede to a small child. "I say again I seek what all men desire, both good and ill. I desire that which is beyond me. I am a soulless man, and yet strangly enough I desire no soul. I killed both of my parents when I had but eleven years to me. I burned our home to the ground. I have no soul and so I feel no sorrow, no pain, no remorse. But my brother, dear Shabel-Grah, escaped me. I wish to kill him. We are, however; equally matched. We each have a gem of the dead sage Orceth. There is one more and I desire it, need it, to take my brothers life and claim it as my own."

Posted By: SirJill Sep 03, 2004 - 08:37 pm

Digger blinked and for the first time felt needlings of truth from this man. He sheathed his dirk and nodded, "I've heard of your brother--Shabel-Grah. And I suppose I have my own reasons for going after him." He ducked his head briefly, thinking of Rowena--and the rumors.

Posted By: Magus Sep 03, 2004 - 08:48 pm

"Why don't we have a more open palaver together? I told you my secrets, did I not? I wish to know yours. Mayhap we could assist each other."

Posted By: SirJill Sep 03, 2004 - 08:50 pm

Digger ran his tongue along his teeth. "Possibly. But you gave your secrets freely--and I have a price."

Posted By: Magus Sep 03, 2004 - 08:52 pm

"Go on then. Speak your price and speak it true."

Posted By: SirJill Sep 03, 2004 - 09:02 pm

Digger shook his head, "I did not say the price came for you." He blinked and thought for a moment, "Before I speak--" but he stopped, smiling a little. "I have no guarantees that you will not betray me, I suppose. But let me warn you, magician. I sense it and you are finished."

Posted By: Magus Sep 03, 2004 - 09:04 pm

Sabal-Gah let out a light hearted chuckle. "Yes, I suppose I would be, at least in a state such as this with my illusions failing me. And you are right as well. For how can you trust a man with no soul? Continue, please, I wish to know more about your price."

Posted By: SirJill Sep 04, 2004 - 08:20 am

Digger snorted, deciding to tell this man about his sister but not the other thing. There was no doubt that he was hiding something and there were some secrets Digger told no one. This magician was not about to know.
He lifted his head and met Sabal-Gah's eyes. "I have heard rumors that my sister was taken by your brother--Shabel-Grah. They journey, conveniently, to Avanoor. I needed the money, so I signed on with the first travler who needed a guide."

Posted By: Magus Sep 04, 2004 - 08:41 am

"You seem to found more then an employer here. Perhaps you found a more lucrative companion in me then you'd ever find in those cretins." Sabal-Gah offered smugly.

Posted By: SirJill Sep 04, 2004 - 08:54 am

Digger asked flatly, "How much will you pay me to help kill your brother?"

Posted By: Magus Sep 04, 2004 - 09:18 am

"You misunderstand me. Shabel-Grah is MINE! I will let to join me in order to kill some of his companions. I do get lonely when killing entire parties. I would rather enjoy some company. If you assist me I will let you have the jewel of Orceth in the tomb, I'll even fetch it for you if you so desire me to."

Posted By: SirJill Sep 04, 2004 - 09:22 am

Digger eyed him suspisciously. "Just what is the nature of this jewel?"

Posted By: Magus Sep 04, 2004 - 09:31 am

Sabal-Gah smiled sinisterly. "This jewel grants you power beyond that of your wildest dreams. And trust me, I know from experience."
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Magus » Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:50 pm

Posted By: SirJill Sep 04, 2004 - 09:48 am

Digger snorted, "I've been commissioned to find several such jewels. This is probably some tail of a myth from ages past. Only fools seek such jems."

Posted By: Magus Sep 04, 2004 - 10:02 am

"Tiss no myth. And this is no fool before you. Observe."

From the confines of his robes Sabal-Gah pulled forth a crimson jewel at the end of a strand of demon fangs strung together. It was a crystal sphere an inch in diameter, glowing with a strong inner light.

"It is no myth. There are three in existance. I have one, my brother has one and one remains in the tomb. Assist me and you will be rewarded with one of your own."

Posted By: SirJill Sep 04, 2004 - 10:04 am

Digger eyed him levelly. He was not about to be taken in so easily. "If it grants you power beyond your dreams why can't you just kill your brother? It seems to me there are several hitches in this plan."

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Sep 04, 2004 - 10:37 am

Rieze had followed Digger at the first opertune moment, and now stood outside the shed. she'd heard every word spoken, and decided she must play her cards carefully. These were not men to be taken lightly. she slunk off into the shadows, not in the least worried over the shades.

a rune engraved in a piece of black marble hung on a chain at her neck. she rubbed it once with her thumb and it glowed a dull purple. then, she was no more a beautiful human woman, but instead a powerful osprey, with curved talons that were deadly and sharp. she glided on the wind, as fast as an arrow shot from the best archer's bow. Rieze was heading to find her friend, Aizlyn. the rune would guide her, and as a bird, she would travel four times as fast. she only hoped she would not be too late.

Posted By: Magus Sep 04, 2004 - 10:41 am

"If only it was so simple. As I told you already my brother has one of the jewels. We have had the curse of being equally matched in every way. Each of us having a jewel doesn't do much towards ending that, now does it?"

Posted By: SirJill Sep 04, 2004 - 10:48 am

Digger watched him suspisciously, "Why would you give it to me, then?"

Posted By: Magus Sep 04, 2004 - 10:55 am

Sabal-Gah laughed menisingly. "I think after I have two I should be satisfied. Why would I need three? I'd already have all the power I'd need for my purposes. My brother would be dead and I'd be free of this black mark on my mind for not having his head lonesome for his neck."

Posted By: SirJill Sep 04, 2004 - 11:42 am

Digger thought for a moment and then said, "Keep the jewel--I want only my sister's freedom."

Posted By: Magus Sep 04, 2004 - 12:28 pm

"Hmmmmm... A sisters love causes you to wish her freedom." Sabal-Gah said, musing the situation to himself. "What a splendid play. I wonder how our brave protagonists will fare in the end. And, even more do I wonder, who is the antagonist in this tale?"

Posted By: SirJill Sep 04, 2004 - 12:51 pm

Digger smiled tightly. "Perhaps it is not her love--but her honor. We have not seen each other since we were children. I have been chasing her ever since."

Posted By: Magus Sep 04, 2004 - 12:55 pm

"And why would you chase her, this unicorn. Why would you seek her out. She obviously cannot be cought. Or maybe its not that she cannot be cought, but that she choses not to be."

Posted By: SirJill Sep 04, 2004 - 01:08 pm

"Yes--perhaps fate has chosen to seperate us. I've been chasing Rowena for years, ever since we were children. This is the closest I've been since I started out."

Posted By: Magus Sep 04, 2004 - 01:28 pm

"Well, I will help you further your ends if you let me further my own. Are we in agreement on the terms?"

Posted By: SirJill Sep 04, 2004 - 01:29 pm

Digger nodded. He pulled a dagger from his belt and cut his palm then he held the dagger out to Sabal-Gah for his own use.

Posted By: Magus Sep 04, 2004 - 01:35 pm

Sabal-Gah did the same to his own hand, dyeing it crimson. As he did he chanted an old mantra that used to be spoken over such rituals. "My life's blood I grant to you. Do with it what you must, but know that we are now as brothers. Know that we are both as one. Know that no bond or pact we make shall be broken. I am to you and you are to me. ALEA ALEA VERRO VAE, TOLKIA TOLKIA FERRO VEA."

Posted By: SirJill Sep 04, 2004 - 01:38 pm

Digger grasped his hand and their blood mingled, dripping onto the ground at their feet. After a moment Digger shuddered and pulled away, not liking, but knowing all the same that such rituals were nesessary.

Posted By: Magus Sep 04, 2004 - 01:43 pm

"Well met. Well met indeed." Sabal-Gah said with a note of satisfaction.

On the inside he was cackling. He had pledged to treat him as he would a brother. He was going to murder his brother! The irony was almost to much.

Posted By: SirJill Sep 04, 2004 - 01:58 pm

Digger withdrew and resheathed his dagger. He would have to clean it later.
"We should take care of Rieze." He said quietly, "Tie up the loose ends and then start to Avanoor. The road I know will get us there in a few days."

Posted By: Magus Sep 04, 2004 - 02:03 pm

"That suits me just fine." Sabal-Gah told him. And it did suit him just fine. Afterall, what phantoms and ghosts from the past does a man with no soul need to fear. They leave him be.

Posted By: SirJill Sep 04, 2004 - 02:05 pm

Digger nodded and waited for Sabal-Gah to leave first, gesturing for him to do so.
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Return to Lycoria: The Stories