speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Jaded Wayfarer Inn

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Jaded Wayfarer Inn

Postby Bmat » Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:40 pm

Last edited by Bmat on Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby Magus » Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:45 am

Posted By: Neurolanis Jul 12, 2004 - 11:36 am

This writing project follows the same rules as "Rathoria--Writing Project Neuro". Please read the introduction there before playing this. It's simple enough, invent a character and tell HIS/HERS story in the adventure.

No offence to anyone, but I don't like the direction that "Rathoria" has gone in. With THIS PROJECT I'll ask that people try to pick their characters with A. A bit of realism and B. Modesty. Making your character the central character--the hero who must save the WORLD--is rude for the other players. Please keep ego out of it. Be true to the character that you are playing, and develop them to be believable and interesting. Have fun. Be creative. Try not to post too often -- allow time for others to respond. Do not change scenes. As the *Monitor*, I reserve the right to change scenes and plots, marked with **, and introduce various characters (small parts only.) Players will be the main characters, and must be creative and adapt, but not inventing story threads--only developing them one piece at a time. Be CAREFUL to read a post before responding! And PLEASE, don't take the wind out of someone else's sails.

(My character is Wanhelm. He is a Human in his late sixties, dressed warmly in white with a large brown deerskin hooded cloak, tall bearskin boots, an oak staff and a small golden sheath upon a black leather belt shaped like a gargoyle, which holds an old dagger with its pommel shaped like a wolf's head. He has long, shaggy hair and a short, scruffy beard. His eyes are a deep marble-like blue. His personality is private and careful, also wise and mysterious.)

An old man entered the inn, holding a large bag. It was busy, filled with people from various backgrounds, and of various strange and exotic races. His name was Wanhelm, and he was the owner of the inn. Little was known about him, besides the fact that he had seen much of the world and knew a great deal about many cultures and beliefs. Anyone seeking insight, wisdom or advice would consult Wanhelm.

A strange thing was happening here on this dark, stormy afternoon in the 14th season of the Third Moon of Ruckus. There was a gathering of men in dark cloaks, carrying dark magical staves and long gentleman's sheaths. They were Klhundors, a race also known as "Dark Elves". They had pointed ears and elegant features, yet in their dark eyes and gloomy nature rested a frightening aura, for they studied the ancient arts. The "dark arts".

Some customers were leaving. Others were only partially bothered by the sight of these suspicious-looking Klhundors, but had nearly stopped drinking their ale. The Dark Elves sat to the table. Except one. He walked over to the counter. The bartender backed away. Wanhelm walked behind the bar, placing his bag upon the counter, approaching the unexpected visitor.

"May I help you?" asked Wanhelm.

"You may," replied the Klhundor. "We await a rider who carried an ancient map rapped in the leathery green flesh of a Crawler."

"You won't find him," came a voice from behind...

Posted By: Magus Jul 12, 2004 - 12:45 pm

(My character is named Shabel-Grah, some may recognize him from Rathoria. He is a human necromancer/cleric. He is very intelligent and wise, clever and crafty, cunning and deadly. He wears a full leangth robe of crimson trimmed with black. He has a magical dagger on his side, black and silver handle with a long curved crimson blade. He has sky blue eyes and a brown beard, neatly trimmed but getting on the longer side. His brown hair is short and neatly combed. He is of averge height and a slender build. Many foreign looking potions bulge from under his robes. He also carries with him several foreign looking magical artifacts. His magical familier, and deeply loved companion, is a small white rabbit, which is an excellent spy and pickpocket. He is a good character, doing what he percieves as the right thing to do. He is willing to bend, at times, his ideals for the greater good. He is shunned by society for the magical necromatic arts he practices.)

Shabel-Grah entered the bar. His robes were drenched and his hair was matted to his forhead. Luckily the enchantment he kept over his leather drawstring bag had kept all of his tomes and scrolls dry from the stormy weather. On his shoulder was Thomas, his beloved rabbit familier.

He moved immediately to the bar, past a lovely young woman in a midnight blue cloak, her face firm as steel. He heard he say something along the lines of "You won't find him." and that was all. His interest of her stopped at superficial.

"Barkeep." He said. The bartender walked over to him, seemingly not wanting to be distracted from the conversation between the young girl and the Klhundor. "I'd like a glass and a bottle of claret. I'd also like some bread, cheese and vegitables. And some meat, if you have it."

Shabel placed a gold coin on the counter in front of him.

"Is this enough?"

Posted By: Magus Jul 13, 2004 - 10:10 am

(By the way Neurolanis, could there be some kind of rule against, when a person enters a posting, talking for another person's character? Because I remember in Rathoria, I too was guilty of this, that whenever this happened it did more to accent and compliment one's own character and seemingly cheapened the others. It just seemed kind of awkward to me. This way there is less control residing in one person and more realistic interaction can take place between characters. Just a thought.)

The coin was both wide and thick. It bore strange markings on it that were from foreign parts of the world. On the revealing side it bore the image of a king in flowing robes in front of the rays of the full moon. And the other side, which was face down, bore the image of a beautiful nude woman dancing in front of the rays of the morning sun. Only in the Northern lands can one find these coins commonly. More than likely it came from the Northern Kingdom of Lycoria, a land famed for its mages and clerics. It was worth at least tenfold his order, but Shabel-Grah knew not of it. He new little of this land he was in, one of the southern kingdoms. He believed it was a land named Rathoria, but he could not be sure. He waited for the bartender to respond.

Posted By: Neurolanis Jul 13, 2004 - 06:34 pm

(Yes, actually that rule was implied in the first. Lets make it official, then. Only speak for your own character. Wait for the other to resond back. If they don't, after a few days or so, then be innovative. Ex:"Fine, if you don't want to talk." )

"That is one fancy coin," remaked the bartender, examining it in his hand. "A fine detail of this kind...in colour no less...I have not yet seen. Tell me, Friend...where does it come from?"

Posted By: Magus Jul 13, 2004 - 07:03 pm

"My name is Shabel-Grah, son of Sabal-Gah. I hail from the Northern Lycoria." Said the man in crimson. His steely voice resonated with a playful kind of boredom, as if he spoke to amuse himself for a short while or quite possably a small child. But it contained enough warmth in its tone to keep from being offensive and insulting to the ear. They knew he was not one to mess with. His eyes were deep pools of intelligence and he had the look of the upper class about him, and yet the earnestness and honesty of the working class.

Posted By: Neurolanis Jul 13, 2004 - 07:15 pm

"Pleasure to meet yah, Sir," said the bartender. In most places a bartender would normally be asking his customer for his choice of poison by now, but this was Kiruhit, and most residents here were nosy folk. "Might I ask, what is a Northman doin' in these parts? Do you have family here?" He chose to ask about family, as inquiring about a man's business was forbidden by imployees of the Jaded Wayfarer Inn.

Posted By: Magus Jul 14, 2004 - 06:28 am

The eyes of Shabel-Grah coldly frosted over as is steely voice spoke just as coldly, resonating with steely hatred. "I have no family."

Even Thomas looked wary when he said this, the same way he always spoke of his family, of his father.

"I actually come to hire a few good sword-arms. I am in search of a great and hidden treasure to the east. The stores are great and beyond the wildest dreams of even the most imaginative... If rumors are to be believed of course." He addad as an after thought.

"Do you know any warrior of skill and worth?"

Posted By: scalem the tenth Jul 14, 2004 - 10:34 am

(I hope to be the funny part of the story)(my character is just named Barrol(Barrol just Barrol) and is some kind of half-ogre half-man breed. He is huge and heavy muscled, but not very smart(which is common for his kind).His skin is some sort of light blue and he is wearing a jacket of what must have been some wild cheep. Although he has hardly any knowledge he has a sort of farmer’s wisdom and the ability to drink huge tankards of ale in on sip. He can be easily robbed of his money, but thanks to his broad shoulders and little amount of money he is not a favored target for theft.)

'I am worth ten men', said Barrol(it was really weird that a guy in his state of being drunk, could have heard the conversation) and stood up. While standing up he turned over both the table and his chair and if there hadn't been a small girl grabbing the candle before the table fell, there would have been a risk setting the inn on fire.
As he walked to the counter, he stumbled over some people who looked angry about that, but where smart enough to think twice before challenging a half ogre(he wasn't walking straight due to the rivers of ale that had flown into his mouth), he said: ‘let us depart right away I want to beat up some foes. Normally Barrol is very kind but some times the beer makes him saying some weird things . Some more customers where leaving feeling the mood change, but they proved to be wrong because the ogre just plunged down on next to the guy named Shabel-Grah.

Posted By: Magus Jul 14, 2004 - 12:14 pm

Shabel-Grah calmly looked at the hulking hlaf ogre, seeing a kind of familiarity about him. He looked into his eyes and saw that he was, dispite his drunkenness, able-bodied.

"If you are so able, good sir, then would you oblige us with a demonstration. I ask not for you to do damage to this fine establishment or it's patrons, just show us your merit as a warrior."

Shabel-Grah felt very comfortable around the half-ogre. He only wished he had a nice glass full of claret with him.

Posted By: Neurolanis Jul 14, 2004 - 12:21 pm

Now, now," came the bartender. "Take such actions ourdoors. We don't want any trouble here!"

Posted By: scalem the tenth Jul 14, 2004 - 12:38 pm

Barrol first showed his tiniest finger to the bartender indicating he wanted another tankard and then starts to tell his stories over how he had farted dozens of soldiers to death and he used to be the great wizard krandir of Alanost's bodyguard. This stories come along with his huge sweeping arms almost that would have beheaded anyone of his size but because there is no-one like that in the room, deadly injuries are prevented. After a while the ogre thinks he has impressed enough and starts to continue drinking.

Posted By: Magus Jul 14, 2004 - 12:45 pm

"What is your name, mighty half-ogre?" Shabel-Grah asked with earnest curiousity. "know of one like you, he is a half-orc though. He had some business to attend to but will meet me here in one week's time. I shall not leave without him."

Shabel-Grah wondered where the food and drink he had ordered was. Thomas poked his head out of Shabel-Grahs robes, nibbling on some scrap of food that he undoubtably snatched from one of the other patrons. Thomas, it seemed, was not as patient as he.

Posted By: scalem the tenth Jul 14, 2004 - 12:56 pm

My name is none of your business unless you buy me a drink(actually he once forgot his own name but since then it has been Barrol) and I am surely half ogre, unless my mother was the tallest orc on the earth.

Posted By: Magus Jul 14, 2004 - 01:08 pm

"Calm, friend, calm. Bartender, will you be good enough to fetch my friend here a second of what he ordered?"

Posted By: Esioul Jul 14, 2004 - 02:16 pm

(My character is called Judith. She doesn't do much, but she sometimes nicks stuff. She's about thirty, tall, pink hair and a nose stud.)

While everyone was having seconds, and enjoying them, Judith asked for her first.
"I'll have seconds and thirds too, might as well ask for them while I'm here" she said.
She had a quick look round. Just what she expected, really. Usual sort of people. Usual mud everywhere. Usual smell. Had there been any point in leaving the last inn? Probably not, but she was here now and she decided that she would have to make the best of it.

Posted By: Magus Jul 14, 2004 - 02:42 pm

Thomas, the familiar, scurried around the bar looking for tidbits of food. He scurried on all fours. Finding and scavaging was his job, and he was quite good at it. He found two half eaten chicken legs, a quarter pint of beer and a few stale pieces of discarded bread. He crawled around the legs of many patrons before coming upon the slender legs of a female patron who was ordering firsts, seconds, and thirds. He began sniffing around her legs when he felt like he was being watched. He looked up only to find a face half hidden by pink hair looking down upon him.

Posted By: Neurolanis Jul 14, 2004 - 05:36 pm

A man walked into the inn. He wore a large fut coat with wide black shoulder straps, and held a green object in his right hand. It was undoubtably the object which the Klundors had been waiting for.

"You come at last," said the Klundor leader.

"And I bring you the map," said the man. "This is my master's last due to your...previous service. This ends the contract."

The Klundor stared at the man with an intimidating gaze. "A bold statement. I except the terms." He held out his hand, and the item was recieved. After this transaction, the man was glad to leave the inn in a hurry. The Klundor then turned to Judith with a growing suspicion upon his face. "You look familiar," he remarked. "Have we crossed paths before?"

Posted By: Magus Jul 14, 2004 - 05:41 pm

Thomas looked from the face of Judith to the face of the man speaking to her. He ducked out of sight and listened intently to the developing dialouge.

Posted By: ForeverZero Jul 14, 2004 - 09:39 pm

(My character is Phantom, an assassin with a high reputation but is rarely seen latetly in the lands. The reason why, no one knows. He is blind, yet still possesses the ability to see, and is a master of knifeplay and uses dual knives as his weapon of choice. His real name, he never speaks to anyone.)

"That's a nice map you have there. I wonder where it leads to...?"

The voice came out of nowhere, and form the tone is came from a young, but experienced man, and consisted of more of a casual tone rather than actual curiosity of knowing the answer to the question presented.

As those in the inn searched for the origin of the voice, they finally settled their eyes on a shadowed figure up in the rafters, sitting comfortably against a thick column growing to the roof of the inn. In his hand was a long knife, and he twirled it and flipped it about casually, yet precisely and without imperfection.

After knowing all eyes were upon him, the man leapt down to the floor, making only the slightest of sounds, and landed as softly as a cat suspended by a cloud. He rose to reveal himself as he emerged from the shadow above.

The most noticable thing about the man was the blindfold. He wore a black sash around his eyes, tied at the back of his head, hiding his eyes from all. He was blind, but somehow gave off a vibe to the others that blindness did not deterr him from anything, and he somehow expressed bodily movements that told them that he could see just fine. How, no one knew.

His hair was silvery white, although it was not from age. It was the kind of white one would find on a Khlundor, but the rest of the man told them otherwise about his bloodline. he had slightly tanned skin, but no pointy ears and a bodily build that was elegant, yet muscular and thin, almost as if he were more mobile than a Khlundor itself.

On his torso he wore a sleeveless, black shirt with a turtle-neck collar. It was very tight on him, probably made form an elastic material, and it showed off every muscle on his chest and back, but hews not out to impress--It was made for mobility and nothing more.

On his legs he wore thick gray pants, which were ruffled and wide yet still gave him free movement, for they were tucked into his shin guards. The guards were layered sections of armor, black as a raven's feathers and shiny as the most polished of steel, and it gave off a reflection of the candles nearby. The same armor was on his forearms, gauntlets covering all from his forearm to his hands, but leaving the tips of the fingers bare.

His weaponry was light, yet still deadly in the hands of any man. A holster made of belts wrapping around his waist and each thigh near the waist area held two scabbards on either hip, small scabbars containing twin battle knives with black handles. One of them was in the man's hand, but he quickly sheathed it and folded his arms.

"You say you're looking for able bodied men? Very well. You can use my skills however you command, as long as you pay the price. Two-thousand, nothing less.
"Of course, let me introduce myself. Most call me 'Phantom', the hailed assassin of the shadows, but those people forgot about me long ago."

The assassin took a seat on a nearby chair, crossed his legs and revealed a slight smirk as theothers looked to eachother about the offer.

Posted By: Magus Jul 14, 2004 - 10:00 pm

Shabel-Grah looked at the man and knew he had found a much needed companion. He would be indespensable in battle it seemed, but hardly worth trusting. Nonetheless, all hands willing would be needed for the monumental task before him. He gazed at this man coldly for a moment before he responded and, when he did respond, he did in a warm but firm matter. The message seemed to have gotten across. You are welcome to come with but it is MY venture.

"Any who join with me will each be given equal share at our treasure. I can assure you that it far exceeds a mere two thousand gold coins. I can tell you it's total value exceeds a hundred thousand times a hundred thousand gold coins. I would like to here more about you though, experiance and past ventures. Come, join my companion and I for a drink."

Shabel-Grah offered a stool next to him at the bar and, not for the last time this night, wished dearly for that claret he ordered.
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Magus » Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:47 am

Posted By: ForeverZero Jul 14, 2004 - 10:18 pm

"My past ventures are..." Phantom trailed off, his head turning as if his sight had been misled by something, yet being a blind man, he merely gave the impression.

He continued, sharply yet calmly, "None of your busniess. Unless you'd like to hear countless stories of me killing people for a price."

He sat at the bar, awaiting his drink, although he had long grown immune to its intoxicating abilities.

"About that reward. I demand only a price I feel fit for the job. If you consider two-thousand low, then this is perhaps the first time I've underestimated a job."

He took the drink and drownedi it in one gulp, and palced the glass on the table softly. "Besides, I'm only in this because I'm looking for someone."

Posted By: Magus Jul 14, 2004 - 10:28 pm

Shabel-Grah studied this man who sat before him. He had not lied to him about his ventures. Still, not revealing the nature of his past did nothing to stay his uneasy suspicions of this man. He would still roll with it, see where it takes him.

"And I am to assume that the identity of this individual you seek is also not to be counted among my business? So be it if it is meant to be. Answer me this then, if it is my business to ask it. Why should I trust one so secretive so as to leave his employer in the dark about his past? Why should I trust one who's mission is no further away then the reach of his sword?"

Shabel-Grah stared down at the assassin, waiting for a response. How he handled this inquerie would determine his future employment.

Posted By: ForeverZero Jul 14, 2004 - 11:03 pm

"You shouldn't," Phantom replied, somehow staring into the Necromancer's eyes without eyesof his own, "Because I trust no one, and neither should you if you know whats good for you. Sometimes... I don't even trust myself."

Posted By: Magus Jul 14, 2004 - 11:11 pm

A sly and cold smile crept across Shabel-Grah's face. A faint chuckle escaped from his lips. All was as it should be, except for his wine, which incidently was still absent. This stranger, this 'phantom', would do nicely.

"You'll do nicely, Phantom. You're a man of your word, I can see that clear enough. I also see that you are a man of great skill and ability. I would be honored to have you in my employ. I would like you to meet this gentleman to my left, who, incidently, has not liberated his name from secrecy." He said, motioning towards Barrol. "I take it you heard every word of our conversation. You have the next couple of days to get your affairs in order. We leave with or without you when my companion arrives."

Posted By: scalem the tenth Jul 15, 2004 - 02:09 am

All of a sudden and accompanied with a thundering sound the ogre awakens from his sleep. He looks to the 2 men standing next to him and says : 'hey, is this your half orc?, he does look a very normal man to me, except for the way he looks at me. And wasn't he coming only just next week?' Anyway, 'hi folks my name is Barrol' he said with a grin smile, one that showed his numerous yellow teeth and along came the smell of last night's beer…

Posted By: Magus Jul 15, 2004 - 05:20 am

Shabel-Grah sighed mentally and realized what he had gotten himslef into. Barrol isn't like Jacatour, not in the least. He's loud, boistrous, annoying and not too bright. He looks like a good warrior though. And he seems earnest and eager enough, a kind soul and such things are rare in these dark days. Shabel-Grah spoke to Barrol in a warm and explaining voice, trying his best not to sound too condensending.

"No Barrol, this is not he. This man is named Phantom and he will be joining us."

Where in all of whatever land he was in was that bartender and his drink?

Posted By: ForeverZero Jul 15, 2004 - 01:10 pm

Phantom stared for a moment at the large, disgusting, drunken creature before him, and added one last rule to his alliance with these travelers.

"I'd like to point out that while I may be traveling with you and will aid you, don't expect me to become your buddy. I'm not in this to make friends."

Phantom sat comfortably now, strangely desiring another drink.

Posted By: Magus Jul 15, 2004 - 01:31 pm

"Fair enough." Shabel Grah stated matter-of-factly. "If that is what you desire. The treasure will be divided up equally among whoever is among our party. I will forego my share for but a single item. I want only for a crimson gem on a necklace of demon fangs, which is among the treasure. You can pick your share among the rest for all I care, just so long as the gem is mine."

Just then Thomas returned on the bar table. He looked tired and distressed.

"Are you o.k. Thomas?" Shabel-Grah questioned is companion.

Thomas spoke to his mage. It came across as nothing but inaudible clicks to everybody who happand to hear. Everybody, that is, except Shabel-Grah. He knew immediately what Thomas was saying to him. It is that special bond between magus and familiar that allows him such a gift.

"We have a problem." He told his two companions. Only then were they able to see for themselves what the problem was.

Posted By: SirJill Jul 15, 2004 - 05:05 pm

(My character is Rowena MaLain. She wears a black-blue leather vest over a white cavliers tunic and a forest green cloak over that. She carries a sword, your basic blade with a black leather grip. Among other weapons is a dagger tied to her waist. It is an old knife, obviously well taken care of. There are several ornate designs shining from the blade, accentuated with golden inlay. She looks a bit young to be in a bar and her face is set with hard, ditermined lines.)

A young woman had stood up from a bar table in the middle of the room. She grabbed a dagger from her waist and slammed it halfway into the table, obviously drunk. "NO!" She yelled, incensed. "No! Don't you tell me that!!"
There were a few seconds of awkward silence and then she began jerking the dagger out of the table, still yelling and glaring at the chair across from her. "I won't let you out! Not again! I won't let you do that again! Never again, do you hear me, NEVER AGAIN!!" With a mighty tug she loosed the dagger and turned, stumbling over her chair and falling flat on her face.

Posted By: Magus Jul 15, 2004 - 05:42 pm

Shabel-Grah stared at the woman who jsut collapsed. He ran over to her, along with half the patons in the bar. The other half went on talking and drinking, too drunk to notice or too drunk to care.

He picked her up as gently as he could and moved to the second story of the building, where the rooms were kept presumably. The hall was dark and creaked loudly when walked upon. He muttered a spell under his breath and the door nearest the stairs opened.

The room was small and empty. It was furnished simply with a bed covered in dark blue sheets, a small oaken table with a chair to match and a candle on that table. There was a small window in the corner of the room but it was dark, the sun covered and setting. Shabel-Grah placed the girl gently on the bed.

With the speed and precision of a skilled doctor he pulled a long slender vial from beneath his cloak. He poured a few drops of the clear liquid into the girl's mouth and muttered a spell in a low and quite voice. She seemed to glow faintly of an inner light and then awoke with a start.

He spoke to her softly in a warm sultry voice that he hoped would comfort the lass. "Ma'am, my name is Shabel-Grah. You fainted dowstairs and I have revived you. Pleae, tell me what happened."

Posted By: Neurolanis Jul 15, 2004 - 06:11 pm

Just then the kitchen doors bursted open, and out came running the head cook. "The bartender is DEAD!" he cried. "His head had been burned off his neck!"

"No," mumbled Wanhelm, who went running into the kitchen. The bartender had been killed, his body layed near the back porch as if he had been running for something. "What black magic has done this?" Wanhelm walked back out into the main room and stared with a growing anger at the Klundors. "This has to do with YOU, doesn't it?"

"So what if it does?" came the head Klundor.

"Why? Why would you do this?"

"Your BARTENDER was a mindstealer--a seer of minds. A secret spy to watch over your customers. He could not fool me, so I went to settle things between us. He saw what should not have been seen." The Klundor sat back down as if nothing had happened.

Wanhelm remained standing in shock.

Posted By: SirJill Jul 15, 2004 - 06:12 pm

(This was the post about kneeling and yelling. Ignore it. PLEASE!! and Bmat this is another thing to be deleted. We love you!!! SJ)

Posted By: Magus Jul 15, 2004 - 06:29 pm

"I'm sorry sir. Can you explain that to me? I was under the impression that the slave trade was outlawed. Isn't the penalty for owning or selling a sentiate being death by hanging?" Shabel-Grah stated with more then a small amount of anger in his voice as he stared at this man.

He turned back towads the girl. He looked at her with pity in his eyes. Little did any realize that Thomas had dissappeared yet again.

(Sorry Neuro. I didn't read the above posting closely enough. I hope this fixes it.)

Posted By: SirJill Jul 15, 2004 - 06:55 pm

(okay...here's the deal as far as I know, Nuero is putting back the "My Prize" bit. Lets how Magus doesn't change his. We're ignoring the bit about falling to her knees and yelling. and I'll attempt to delete or get rid of that as soon as I've posted in response to Magus.)

Rowena's eyes widened when she saw the fat man and she staggered backwards. "No!" She shrieked, "No!" The dagger flashed out of the sheath and into her hand as she pointed it at him, almost like a gun. "I'll let him go and you know what'll happen then." She threatened, "You don't want that to happen do you? Do you!"

Posted By: ForeverZero Jul 15, 2004 - 07:20 pm

Suddenly the girl fell clam, yet frightened, as a knife unlike the one she weilded was settles comfortably at her neck, the blade coming so close to slicing her throat open that she swore it has already taken off the top layer of her skin.

"Alright, lady. Calm down and tell us what the hell is going on," Phantom said as he calmly held his knife to her neck. He was looking completely elsewhere, as if searching for someone, but he wore a blindfold, and lacked the ability needed to do such a task.

"And about that bartender... its no wonder he appeared to me with such a 'bright image'. That's why I came in here in the first place--I saw him outside. Now, Khlundor, how could you have known what he was?" Phantom inquired, as if taking the woman hostage.

The woman had semed to calm, so Phantom sheathed his knife. He still, however keep an eye on her. An eye that saw nothing, yet everything, at the same time.

Posted By: Magus Jul 15, 2004 - 07:22 pm

(When I wrote this post, and submitted it, it was supposed to go before ForeverZero's.)

Shabel-Grah looked at the steely face of the girl and turned to the drunken and angered face of the man standing in the doorway. He could see a short sword slopily concealed in his right pant-leg. Here he was, cought in the middle of the two.

His mind drifted for a moment to reaching out and snatching the knife, and then quickly casting a spell to disarm the man. These thoughts entered his mind, but didn;t linger. He knew he was most likely not fast enough to grab the dagger without feeling its cold caress on his skin. He knew also he couldn't cast a proper spell quick enough to avoid being cut up. He was as powerless as any peasent in any filthy little town. This thought alramed him most of all. He had grown far too used to his power, worn it as a cloak his entire life. Now, robbed of it, he was truthfully far worse off than any peasent in the town. He was not used to being on the receiving end. He would have to resort to reason to solve this problem. He would have to in order to save maybe more than one life tonight. But fear had stolen his voice and no words were forthcoming from his throat. His temple began to sweat and adrenaline flowed throughout him. He was underly powerless.

Posted By: els Jul 15, 2004 - 07:26 pm

(I'm the pub cat. I'm calico, with very, very long whiskers. I've also got a secret. I can shapeshift. My name is Deovhara...)

Deovhara sat on the barrel of cheap wine that Wanhelm had been passing off as his best. She had been sure that this would cause a riot soon, once the patrons had wisened up to that, but the pandemonium that had broken out in the crowded common room was more than surprising. She blinked her greenish yellow eyes in the heavy smoke that filled the air, and as she yawned her mouth filled with the taste of black magic. Not something one wanted to taste on an empty stomach, she thought.

Hissing and sneezing she hopped off the cask and retreated into the shadows under the staircase to the second floor, where she found a very sensible looking rabbit also hiding out of the way of panicked, trampling feet. "What are you doing here, then?" she asked. "And, are you going to eat that chicken leg, or can I have it?"

Posted By: Magus Jul 15, 2004 - 07:32 pm

"I'll trade you this for some of that wine you were sitting on." Thomas said in his own clicking language which he knew that the cat could hear and understand.

He sniffed excitedly with his nose but remained constant and solid all the while. He knew that this was no ordinary cat. More then that, he knew that this cat wasn't even a familiar. He knew it was something else. What else, he couldn't say.

Posted By: ForeverZero Jul 15, 2004 - 07:38 pm

After releasing his death-grip on the woman, Phantom saw that he would be better suited to place the knife at this newcomer's neck.

"Sorry, lady. Go ahead and point your knife at him. He's not what he seems."

Indeed, as Phantom saw, the man was unlike others in the sight he saw with. Although not as much as Shabel-Grah, the man was undoubtedly attuned to some sort of power. Phantom could see it, as he could see it in all.

With speed of inhuman quality, Phantom has drawn his knifes and even whirled them in his hands for show, prepared to kill this man if he tried anything.

"I don't know who you are, but you can't hide your abilities from me. You try anything and I'lld slice you up so fast your head won't know the rest of your body was dead."

Posted By: Magus Jul 15, 2004 - 07:45 pm

When Phantom had shown himself Shabel-Grah felt both great relief and great shame. He was relieved that his own ineptitude was being compensated for by this blind warrior. His shame was that he was forced to rely on such a person, one who he neither knew nor trusted. He would never feel comfortable in his presence, if indeed he ever would have otherwise. He would always feel indebted to this man who seemed to reek with death. He did not so much smell of it as he emitted it with his every move, his every action. the way he flashed his weapons, the way he stanced himself offensively, the way he stared with a blind eye. There was something about Shabel-Grah that he knew he'd have to watch. And how could he do that effectively when he may very well owe this man his life?
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Magus » Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:48 am

Posted By: els Jul 15, 2004 - 07:54 pm

"Things are getting to be too wild in here, little rabbit. There will be more killing, and I don't want to be the one killed. Or the one killing, for that matter. Look at these overgrown louts! Wanhelm will be a year cleaning this mess up. And all over that map. Worthless thing, really. It's not the original."

The rabbit twitched at that, but Deovhara leaned forward and touched her nose to his, hoping to calm him. Why was he shaking so hard? "That wine- No, you don't want that. We can go down into the cellars, where it is safe, and quiet. I know where the good wine is- peach brandy, even, if you want it. Bring the chicken, and I'll get you a cask of the best."

She peered out into the milling throng of yelling, blade wielding humans and then made a dash for the cellars, the rabbit just behind her. She hoped they didn't get stepped on on the way, and luck was with them.

She huddled against the wall near the door, and slipped form when no faces were turned toward her. She slipped the bolt back with long, pale fingers that shook with excitement, and she and the rabbit descended into darkness.

"Don't worry, rabbit. I won't eat you," she said.

Posted By: Magus Jul 15, 2004 - 08:05 pm

Thomas grabbed the boney part of that large leg of chicken and slowly decended the stairs. It was a juggling act, really. Balance yourself, aa piece of chicken nearly the same size as you, and decend steps too numerous to count, the distnce being twice your height. It was a miracle in itself that he didn't fall and break his tiny rabbit neck.

Thomas stared at the beautiful woman now naked before him. She was a shapeshifter, he thought to himself. This is what he had sensed. More than likely she was some manner of druid. This could explain alot of what he had felt before.

Her skin was smooth as silk and creamy as butter. Thomas, for a moment, forgot that he was merely a simple rabbit. He longed to embrace her the way humans do. He was in love with this human woman. If ever a tale of two more star-crossed lovers existed then Thomas knew not of it. It was aas simple as that. He was in love.

Posted By: scalem the tenth Jul 16, 2004 - 02:30 am

The ogre finally woke up and heard some noises coming from the back and decided to take a look.
As he came to the kitchen, he saw the murder scene and said the following: 'Dead bartender, again this is the third one this month. But it looks like now the killing problem will be solved. Which ones head will I bash into peaces?

Posted By: SirJill Jul 16, 2004 - 03:15 am

Rowena stiffened and slowly sank to the floor; her sense beginning to return. The man who--he was blind, she thought, putting one hand behind her so she was leaning against the floor at an angle. She was still trembling a little from...well, everything. First was probably the fact that HE was here--she shut her eyes for a moment--and then the blind man.

Humph. I never thought we'd see him again, remarked Gregory. She kept her eyes closed and shuddered retorting in her mind:
You had your time. You promised you'd go back and besides, you've had your fun. Let me deal with him and then...

And then what? You gonna let him take you back?

"No!" She said out loud. Her eyes flying open. She stood up and shook her head and took a deep breath. "That's not going to happen. Now shut up!" Blinking she drew her own sword and backed up the blind man, staring ironly at...him.

(*NB: Hopefully you've guessed the 'and then what?' thing is Gregory speaking in her mind. However the "No!" is out loud as is everything after that. Not insulting your intelligence just clarifying!)

Posted By: Magus Jul 16, 2004 - 10:46 am

Shabel-Grah, sensing he was safe enough from being sliced and diced, drew forth his dagger, which drew a stare or two from the room and several more from the crowd that had gathered in the doorway. It was a beautiful ancient dagger with a double edged blade, but it looked like it could have been made just that morning. The handle was silver with a spiraling stripe of black grip. The blade was just over a foot long. It curved in an elfin fasion and had silver elfin designs. The blade itself was crimson red.

Shabel-Grah could kill this man right now, the fat balding thing before him. But if he did that then he wouldn't get his questions answered. He had sensed some sort of link between the girl and the man, some kind of binding magical force. If he killed the man then the consequences to the girl may be terrable. If the link itself was strong enough, then she could die along with him. Shabel-Grah would not risk that upon her. Even he was not so cold-hearted to wontonly risk her life.

"Phantom, hold off your strike. There may be more to this man then either of us know. By killing him you risk killing the girl." He said in a firm voice. He needed to be sure of something before this man could die. He reached for anothr potion in his cloak.

Posted By: scalem the tenth Jul 16, 2004 - 10:57 am

Barrol speaks in a loud tone: 'does that non attacking counts me in?'. As the other people around glimpsed at the half ogre, they could see an enormous club and behind that the confused face of the ogre.

Posted By: Magus Jul 16, 2004 - 11:17 am

"Yes Barrol, it includes you as well. I need to figure something out first." He said as he drew a large vial of semi-clear liquid that had a light purple tint to it. Shabel-Grah muttered a short spell under his breath and the vial began to glow. It grew brighter and brigther, blinding most who looked even near it. The blinding light enveloped the whole room and spilled into the halls and then into the streets. The glow turned from purple to pink and from oink to red and, eventually, into the color of dried blood, a dark and foul color. Then the glow dimmed and all was as it had been. Shabel-Grah was placing the vial back into his cloak. A forelorn look was on the surface of his face, excitement and curiosity fluroushed beneath.

Posted By: els Jul 16, 2004 - 11:28 am

Deovhara jumped at a loud boom above her head. Dust sifted down from the floor above, down around the rabbit and herself. "Stupid ogre," she muttered. "Must have dropped his bloody great club again. Now lets see... Peach brandy... Wanhelm would kill me if he knew I knew where his stash was. He's been threatening to drown me in a sack for months now, anyway."

The rabbit followed her deeper into the cellar. "
"Up too high... I can't reach..." Deovhara slipped form again, this time into a tall, heavily muscled man. "Much better," she went on in a deep voice, reaching up and pulling a small wooden cask out of its niche in the wall. She tapped the cask and let it air for a moment. "Anyway, as I was saying earlier- they are all upset over that map... What's the matter, rabbit? You look upset. Like you lost your dearest love. If it is the brandy, I'll pour for you in a minute, but your friend up there... he needs to know exactly what is going on with that map. I like his name, so I want to help him, and you are kind of cute, as rabbits go."

Posted By: Neurolanis Jul 16, 2004 - 12:25 pm

"That is an ancient spell known only to the highest mages and those of our kind," spoke the leader of the Klundors, rising from his seat with near hysteria. "How did YOU learn of it, cleric?"

Posted By: ForeverZero Jul 16, 2004 - 12:38 pm

Phantom had not made a move, for he dared not try anything after what he saw. Brilliant light, passing between the girl and the man, and later a blinding illuminataion emerging fomr the object that Shabel-Grah had revealed. He wondered of one could go blind twice.

But this energy passing between the girl and the man, it was strangely familiar, something he had seen before.

"Necromancer. Be careful what you ask him. They're psychically linked together."

He remembered the gradual flow of energy from the girl to the man, and then from the man to the girl, as if one stopped to take in the other's energy, the same pattern one would see in a conversation.

"And by the way, what the hell did you just do with that liquid?" Phantom asked, staring at the bright image in the room.

Shabel-Grah appeared as the brightest, obviously because he held the most magical potency. Others were visible, but none as bright as he, and Phantom could see clearly the direction and size, and intensityof everything he did, whetherit was meant to be seen or not. At time he thought the sight as a curse, and atother times, he saw it as a gift. He didn't know what to make of it at the moment.

Posted By: SirJill Jul 16, 2004 - 02:24 pm

Rowena twirled her sword several times, more out of agitation than anything else. Her eyes flicked from Phantom to Shabel Grah and then back to the man. She shook her head.

"He's never had psychic control over me." She muttered. "Not in--that sense." She shut her eyes again, "He was the *beep* that put--aghhhh." She sank to her knees again, the sword sticking in the wooden floor beside her. Pain flashed briefly though her chest and she began coughing, screaming in her mind.

Stop it! Stop it Gregory!!

She could feel him smirking. You shouldn't've gotten drunk. You know I have more power then.

"Phantom..." She choked, and tried to manage something else. A moment more and she was standing the sword once again out in front of her as Gregory fled. She blinked and looked over at him as if he had seen the other soul fly from her mind. "Goddess." She whispered. "He's gone. Not...forever but..."

Rowena looked up at him with new eyes and she smiled a little. Both at Phantom and at her captor. It was a smile of triumph. "You scared him. And," The grin widened, "I'm not a little girl."

Posted By: Magus Jul 16, 2004 - 02:41 pm

"It was as I feared." Shabel-Grah said. He was exhausted, that last spell had always taxed him physically. He felt his strength leaving him. It was the reason he rarely used the spell. "I cast the Illan-Darre. It is a powerful necromatic spell. I linked our three minds together and was able to see into theirs, giving them only but a glimpse at mine. It was neccesary. He glimpsed into my past and feared what he saw. I gazed deeply into the both of your pasts and now know what had happened. I think, Rowena, that you should tell the tale. I think the rest of you should leave, too. Barrol, you and Phantom should come and hear this. It is neccesary, it always is."

Shabel-Grah realized that Thomas was not with him. He was surprised by the deep longing he felt for his familar. After all they have been through he had never once wanted his companionship more. Nay, he needed it.

Posted By: ForeverZero Jul 16, 2004 - 03:04 pm

"You know of my past? How dare you intrude on others affairs! I trusted no one, absolutely no one with my past. I've done things I have forced myself to forget, and now you...!"

Phantom realized he had his knives at the Necromancer's neck. He calmed himself, and sheathed them, turning his back to the man and walked a few steps away.

"You'd best forget what you saw in my mind, Shabel-Grah. And don't you dare tell anyone what you know."

Posted By: Magus Jul 16, 2004 - 03:14 pm

Shabel-Grah sneered playfully at the assassin. "I never said I looked into your mind, assassin. I looked into Rowena's... and I looked into Gregory's. Rest easy and know that your secrets are still yours to keep."

Posted By: SirJill Jul 16, 2004 - 03:20 pm

Rowena sheathed her sword and glared moodily at Phantom. "Why should you have that luxury?" She demanded. "There are things I've seen...things I've tried to forget. But I have someone else inside me. Someone else reminding me of the things I've done, the people I've killed--and what gives you the luxury to demand that he forget? ” Her finger shot out, pointing toward Shabel Grah. “What gives you the right?" She paused for a moment and then shrugged, "You may have scared Gregory away for now and he'll be back. He always does and he'll bring that flood of memories and horrors with him. And who will be there to tell me to forget? Who will be there to demand I push those memories back? No one. No one except the voices in my head. And they, they don't want that." She spoke with a simple elegance and bitterness that strangely fit together. In her eyes there was some flash of defiance, a sign others could see but the energy she was giving off was angry. Angry at him, and angry at her own past it seemed. She stalked forward and stood in front of Phantom for just a second and then said, some what sadly, yet without remorse, "I see my temper has gotten the better of me again. Don't expect me to apologize, Phantom, and don't expect my pity. I've had enough to know that it only makes you weak. And, frankly, we can’t afford that.”
With that she turned and stalked over to a bar table, seating herself and waiting for the others to join her, if they so desired.

Posted By: Magus Jul 16, 2004 - 03:48 pm

Shabel-Grah went with her, he felt rather than heard the others come behind him. He was still feeling weak, but his strength was slowly returning to him. Bit by bit he grew stronger and more focussed. Within the next ten minutes he would be back to his normal self.

He sat down at the dusty oaken table identical to the any other in the commonroom. Identical, except for Rowena. He looked at her with a new understanding of her. He felt guilty about his invasion, but new it as a nessity. He guilted the means but not the result. Afterall, does not the end justify the means?

"You're right Rowena. I had no right in your mind, but you must understand the importance that you tell the others about it. It is important that they know as well as we."

The bar was noisy. Barrol and Phantom arrived and took a seat at the table. Rowena sat there, her thoughts focussed inward, seemingly contemplating his words. She looked up, and spoke to them all.

Posted By: SirJill Jul 16, 2004 - 04:25 pm

Rowena fixed Shabel Grah with a fearsome glare and spoke directly to him, "I do this under duress. Somehow I have the feeling you will tell if I do not. And I would rather," She frowned and dropped her gaze to the wooden table. "I would rather some things not be said at this time. You must understand I am like Phantom; possesive of my past."

She paused another moment and then looked back at Shabel Grah, and spoke as if she was explaining this to him for the first time.

"My parents were peasants. Poor. But that didn't stop my father from his pride. He said my brother and I were lucky but from what I've seen we've been cursed. At twelve summers we were snatched by--" She shook her head, her mouth hardening, "I'm still not sure. We were part of a decently large group, maybe 30 or so. All sturdy peasant children from neighboring villages. And all scared. And young."

She pounded her fist against the table and the frown deepened as she went back further into her past. "We were herded into what our captors called 'The Compound'. I remember them laughing--one told us how lucky we were." She trembled with rage for a moment and then seemed to regain control, "They took us one at a time, with the others waiting on the far side of the Compound. My brother Digger was dragged away from me and forced flat on his back. He was surrounded by men and a few women. They spoke to him for a moments. There was a thunder of magic and then we heard the screaming."

She grabbed a handful of her unruly curls and jerked them back over her eyes. It was obvious she was hiding. Finally she brushed the curls away and looked up at Shabel Grah, something her eyes had held before; gone.

"Digger wasn't led away. He was carried out of the compound on a strecher. There was no more laughter from our guards after that."

She pulled up the sleeve of her tunic, baring a tanned arm with a symbol burned into the curve of her elbow. It looked abstractly like a swan with its neck laid over its back. "Some recovered. Some didn't. Those of us who did got these brands. That's all you need to know."

She again glared at Shabel Grah, a warning behind her chocolate eyes. "And that's more than you need to tell." She added quietly.

Posted By: Neurolanis Jul 16, 2004 - 04:57 pm

(Pashir is a tall, bald man, blind in the left eye. He is known to the inn as a strange ranger of sorts. One of his professions included bounty hunting.)

"I feel for you, Rowena," spoke a strange man in a black cloak. He was bald, his left eye green, and by all indication blind. "I too was once a slave in the north...that tale will remain unheard. I must say you do look familiar. Have I known you somewhere before?"

"Leave her alone," said Wanhelm. "I don't want any trouble with you."

(Rathsarann is a Klundor, dressed in all black cloathing with a golden sheath shaped like a fire-breathing Worm. He is quite tall and strong for a Dark Elf--Klundor--and experienced.)

"WHAT IS THIS?" bursted Rathsarann. He was grabbed by a small band of strong men in silver plate armour. They were mercinaries, no doubt employed by the inn.

"This is justice," said Wanhelm. "Your kind is no longer welcome here."

"We don't want trouble," grinned Rathsarann after a long pause. He and his kind headed for the front door. On the way Rathsrann grabbed Rowena, placing his white dagger blade to her throat. "Ease up, friends, or this one gets it."

"What do you want?!" bursted Wanhelm. "You have terrorized us enough this afternoon!"

"Not enough," grinned Rathsrann, turning slowly to shabel-Grah. "I wish to join you. My...comrades and I know a great deal more about your adventure than you. Let us in on your quest, and we can get you to your...'treasure'." His blade pressed more tightly agasinst Rowena's throat.

Posted By: SirJill Jul 16, 2004 - 05:10 pm

Rowena held completely and utterly still. What was this? The third or fourth time this had happened tonight? However, she spoke calmly, "You're going to hold me prisoner while we're all tramping about looking for this treasure? I'd like to see you manage that."

Meanwhile her hand moved slowly, almost invisibly toward her own dagger. There was no way Rathsrann could've noticed her movements until she had drawn the weapon and pressed it into his gut. She exerted pressure.

"Yeah, I'd really like to see that."

Posted By: ForeverZero Jul 16, 2004 - 05:17 pm

(EDIT: WHoops... this post was meant to go before SirJill's...)

Suddenly, without warning, Phantom had shot out of his chair, a slit had been heard of knife cutting through fabric, and the Klundor's blade had lodged itself in a nearby rafter while Phantom held his knives at the Dark Elf's neck with anger. Blood dripped from the hand that once held a weapon.

"Look, just because I'm with them doens't mean I'm going to stick to the rules. You try anything and I won't hesitate to kill you."

At that, Phantom shoved the warrior away and sheathed his knives, and leaned against a column near the table where he would both be able to keep an eye on everyone and listen to the conversation.

He didn't know why he snapped like that. Maybe it was this girl. He already showed signs of protecting her, but why? Phantom had destroyed his emotions long ago. It was the only way to go on, the only way to rid himself of weakness. But this girl, Rowena... she looked so much like 'her'...

Not in terms of looks, mind you, because Phantom could not see her appearance, but her soul... it was vibrant and staticy, unlike most others calm light, the soul of a traumatized woman. The same as 'her'.

"That can't be right..." Phantom said aloud, and then quickly shut up as the others looked to him. He was going to kill 'her', so...why...?
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Magus » Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:49 am

Posted By: SirJill Jul 16, 2004 - 05:29 pm

Rowena still had her knife pressed into the Klundor's gut. She released him and stepped away, letting Phantom take charge. After all, too many cooks in the kitchen, right? She stepped back and put her back against a wall and drew her sword, catching the attention of the whole group with the probable exception of Phantom.

"The next one who tries ANYTHING like that will get something he's very attached to chopped off!" She warned, her anger flowing around her and spreading out to the group. "I am sick of this and my patience has long run out but I'll repeat myself in case no one heard me the first time. Anyone so much as touches me with a knife, sword or any other weapon and they will find it sticking through their heart."

Posted By: ForeverZero Jul 16, 2004 - 05:42 pm

Phantom supposed he was lucky for being blind, because he was staring directly at the woman. He couldn't get his attention off of her, not after what he had noticed.

Of course, he held his head down and kept his arms folded, and might as well have looked to be asleep, but he saw her soul pulse with anger just then, such intensity. Only a soul like 'hers' could be that...vibrant.

Posted By: SirJill Jul 16, 2004 - 06:29 pm

Rowena's gaze swept the group, resting curiously on Phantom. He seemed to have let Rathsrann go or at least let his guard down. She was a little disappointed but didn't let it show in her eyes. She brandished the sword with a practiced hand and stepped toward the dark elf.

"You said you know about more about Shabel Grah's treasure than he does. Or at least our adventure." She sheathed the sword, in the same movement swooping down and drawing a dirk from her own boot. She waggled it in front of him. "Mind telling us what that's all about?"

Posted By: Magus Jul 16, 2004 - 07:28 pm

"He lies. I know everything to know about the quest. I have the map! I have all of the information! Nothing remains hidden from me!" Shabel-Grah shouted furiously. "Nothing!"

This was, however; not entirely truthful of him. One thing did remain hidden from his sight. Only one thing escaped him.

Sabal-Gah, only he remained hidden. That vile illusionist in his cloak of gold and black. His eyes black, pupil and the whites. Nothing could have been more similar to Shabel and yet so different. He sought the jewel, for the same reason as Shabel-Grah. Their struggle would wind up with one or the other dead, the survivor being the one with the magical Red Gem of Orceth.

Posted By: Neurolanis Jul 16, 2004 - 06:44 pm

"Out!" yelled Wanhelm. "Never come back."

Rathsarann looked to Rowena. "I apologise. It is most urgent that I join you. You seek the same quest as we. You hunt for treasure, we hunt for knowlege. The answer is the same. I know my way through the lands. You may take us with you or we will follow you in the shadows. The choice is your's. What be it?"

The guards took hold of his arm again.

Posted By: SirJill Jul 16, 2004 - 06:50 pm

Rowena tapped her foot and glanced over her shoulder at Wanhelm. "I'm sure you do." Her eyes traveled behind her to Phantom.

"Something doesn't feel right about this." She said and turned back to Rathsarann, "If you simply wanted to join us why the knife?" She demanded.

Posted By: scalem the tenth Jul 17, 2004 - 01:32 am

After he had put his club down, Barrol had watched the show while drinking some ale. He wasn't very good at those 'mind games'. 'How can one know whose head he would have to bash into pieces?' he thought. Nevertheless he would never crush a woman's head unless she was taller than him, so he would definitely be at Rowena's side if it came to serious battery. Shabel-Grah was also a friend since he has ordered him a beer.

Posted By: Magus Jul 17, 2004 - 05:07 am

Shabel-Grah looked with a furious annoyance at Wanhelm. He had been pestering them to leave and that could not be done. Thomas was still off somewhere and they must wait for Jacatour still, he would arrive any day now.

Shabel-Grah remembered the claret and the food that he had paid for and had not received. A new fury awoke in him. He had been cheated for a single gold coin. Imagine what could be done with more.

Shabel-Grah reached into his cloak and pulled out aleather pouch. From that pouch he drew ten gold coins and threw them n the table. H turned to Wanhelm.

"Is this enough for us to stay the week without you pestering us. Ten gold coins for rooms for us all. And then you can be assured to be paid for meals as well. Look at us as a business opportunity. You invest and you will be rewarded greatly."

Posted By: Magus Jul 17, 2004 - 05:47 am

Thomas drank from the bowl of peach brandy Deovhara had poured for her. It was very good, at least two hundred years old by the taste of it. And Thomas new his wines well, nigh intimately.

Deovhara, now back in human form, had dressed herself in some blue and gold cloak that was strewn aside in the basements corner. It was a little big for her, but she managed to fix that easily. Thomas couldn't believe that comebody would wontonly toss aside such a beautiful work of elfin craft. The ornate and looping designs could only come from elfs. She explained to him what needed to be explained was she ate the chicken leg. Thomas drank in silence, hanging on her evry word. He knew that if what she said was tru, it could change everything.

Posted By: SirJill Jul 17, 2004 - 07:17 am

Rowena stabbed her dirk into the wooden table. "Are you paying for them too?" She asked, pointing toward Rathsarann and his company. "I really don't like the way he's avoiding answering me. It makes me," She turned back to Rathsarann, "Suspicious. Not that I wasn't already." She told him quietly. "Now answer or we'll find out what I can do with a knife."

Posted By: Magus Jul 17, 2004 - 07:30 am

Shabel-Grah looked at her and then looked at the man before him. He mistrusted him more than Phantom and, he thought, for good reason. If they held the secret he thought then they were not trustworthy in the least. If they did hold that secret, however, they could be indispensable.

"I may be, if that is our 'friend' over there would enlighten us to the information he claims to hold. Make it worth my while and you may yet find yourself the richer for it." He spoke steely, hinting at some hidden anger. It was deserved, not only for what he had done tonight in plane view but also... but also of what Shabel-Grah suspected he must have done ih the past. If he knew where Sabal was, where that gods •••••• brother of his was, then he would prove indespensable.

Posted By: Neurolanis Jul 17, 2004 - 07:31 am

"I don't want any trouble," muttered Wanhelm, leaving with his gold coins and host of guards.

"Klundors work for NO ONE," said Rathsarann, rather offended. "I apologise for my action. I meant no harm. My followers and I can assist in your quest if you like. You need not pay us. Our reward awaits...beyond silver and gold. I can get us through the Gates of Hallandin. That would save you several DAYS of travel on hosrsback. The Highporter owes me a favor."

Posted By: Magus Jul 17, 2004 - 07:37 am

Shabel-Grah faced Rathsarann now, considering his kind offer. Also considering what he would desire in return for the offer.

"Much thanks go our to you. I am taken aback, though. Why would you help us, if not for silver and gold? What is it you desire?" He asked in a kindly and inquisitive voice.

Posted By: scalem the tenth Jul 17, 2004 - 07:50 am

'Maybe beer' barrol yelled, followed by a large sip.

Posted By: SirJill Jul 17, 2004 - 08:19 am

Rowena snorted at Rathsarann's words. 'I aplogise, I meant no harm'? Right. She thought and removed her dirk from the table, moving back to stand next to Shabel Grah. The weapon was still in her hand.

"Shabel." She shook her head, looking at Rathsarann and his crew. "I'll say it again. I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them."

Posted By: Magus Jul 17, 2004 - 08:36 am

"I don't disbelieve you. I don't trust them at all. But they may be useful to us." Shabel-Grah spoke to Rowena reasuringly. He turned towards Rathsarann and adressed him now. "I would very much like to know what you want from helping us. You seek what is beyond silver and gold. I want to know what."

Posted By: Neurolanis Jul 17, 2004 - 10:24 am

Rathsarann sighed. "Very well. If you must have it. We are working for our master. Lun Kane, the famous seer and lord of Sherldasia. It would place me in very high esteem indeed if I were to retrieve an ancient scroll located in the locked chamber of the underground Fort of Chromus. It rests in the east of our Realm, within the land of Avanoor. A dangerous place, but I have some...pull there as well. That is why I have been chosen for this task. The scroll unlocks a secret to the barried past of my people. It is wroth far more to us than shine. We want the scroll. You can have the gold."

Posted By: els Jul 17, 2004 - 10:31 am

"So, if you are willing to trust me, rabbit, we will go upstairs now and speak to your master. Things seem to have quieted down a bit."

The rabbit assented, and to make things a bit easier, she scooped the rabbit up and held him against her shoulder as she climbed the stairs.

The room above WAS quieter, but distrust marked every face, and the feeling of anger and hatred and jealousy and lust was so heavy on the air she could taste it. For a moment she wished she was back in the form of a cat, but once changed, it would be a year and a day before she could take that shape again. Animals were harder to become than human.

Shabel-Grah was buying another beer for the ogre, who was sloshed out of his mind. He had also seemed to have taken up with a girl that Deovhara couldn't remember seeing before. Of course, in the pandemonium before, and from her low vantage point, it would have been impossible to see everyone in there.

She strode across the room, her head held high. The rabbit under her hand quivered, its heart beat so fast she could barely make out one beat from the next.

"Shabel-Grah," she said, pitching her voice at such a level that the whole room resonated with it, from floor boards to ceiling beams. Heads snapped around, and every eye was on her. She hated that, but best to make a good impression. Everything could go to the underworld in a handbasket faster than even she could imagine if she messed this up. "Shabel-Grah, i would speak with you!"

Posted By: Magus Jul 17, 2004 - 11:27 am

Shabel-Grah looked at Rathsarann and spoke in a monotonal voice, like a man who is forcing himself to say that which he doesn't want to, but knows that he needs to. "I think we can make some kind of arrangement. We are travelling to the tomb of Orceth. I know of the fort in which you speak. I have studied it and know also of the scroll you seek. I believe we may be able to work out something. Our destination is only fifty miles East of your location, in the Forest of Orceth. Travelling is indeed dangerous and companions are always welcome, if companions they be."

A girl came nearer to their table. Shabel-Grah surrendered a glance to her and noticed that she carried a hite rabbit on her shoulder. That white rabbit was Thomas. She walked over and beseached a palavar with Shabel-Grah.

Shabel-Grah looked from her face to that of Thomas. Finally he realised where he had been. Thomas had the faint odor of some flavored drink, mybe orange maybe peach, Shabel-Grah couldn't tell. He had always drunk Claret and had no plans on changing. At least he had one to sip at now. Thomas had always liked a bit of a drink, and what's more he seemed immune to the alchohalic effects.

"Yes, you can speak to me here in front of the others. I thank you for looking after Thomas, I was starting to worry about him."

Posted By: SirJill Jul 17, 2004 - 12:29 pm

At Shabel-Grah's pronouncement to of the dark elves joining their party Rowena slammed her dirk into the table. It stuck there, quivering under her hand as she shook her head angrily.

"This is ill advised, Shabel." She said, glaring at Rathsarann. "He's up to something. There's no doubt."
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Magus » Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:49 am

Posted By: Neurolanis Jul 17, 2004 - 01:39 pm

"Trust, my lady," smirked Rathsarann, too quiet for Shabel-Grah to hear while he spoke to the others. There was a taste of sarcasm in his voice, or was it a subtle threat? "It's a virtue."

Posted By: Magus Jul 17, 2004 - 02:29 pm

Thomas leapt off of Deovhara's shoulder, clicking his gratitude to her. He dearly missed the warmth she gave. Thomas hopped over to Shabel-Grah and began to click away. Shabel-Grah occationally whispered quitely to the familiar, but Thomas did most of the "talking". The others went on unaware of anything. They were too rapped up with their own problems and focussed inwardly upon their own thoughts. Only Deovhara seemed to notice the conversation at all. As a matter of fact, she seemed to follow it perfectly.

Posted By: SirJill Jul 17, 2004 - 02:30 pm

Rowena jerked hte dirk out of the table and stalked forward standing only a few inches in front of Rathsarann.

"I have seen too much to trust the likes of you." She snarled, her hand convusling around her weapon. However, she did not move to use it.

Posted By: Magus Jul 17, 2004 - 02:47 pm

Shabel-Grah was rudely jerked from his conversation with Thomas at the sight of Rowena near charging down the dark elf.

"Peace, peace. Let's not risk getting thrown out of this warm inn over something like this. You don't have to trust him Rowena. I don't trust him either. He has his own agenda. We can trust him to carry out his own. We leave him at that fortress and we head for the tomb. He'll be dead to us then. Let's use him for what he's worth, instead of wontonly throwing aside the gifts that are given to us merely because we dislike the wrapping. I've dealt with a number of his klind before. Not nessecarily Dark Elfs. I am talking about the self serving. It's in his best interest to keep us all in the manner he finds us. He's using us as much as we're using him."

Thomas clicked in agreement. Somewhere a patron laughed, but no laughter came from this table. They all waited to see what would happen next, some even prepared for it. Shabel-Grah just stared her down, like an enemy sizing up his prey. He had dealt with her kind before as well. She was an untrusting, if not paranoid, individual. She held a great secret and a great power. It was up to her to see how she used it. Shabel-Grah had confidence in her abilities of judgement.

Posted By: ForeverZero Jul 17, 2004 - 03:44 pm

Such strange souls, these people had. Phantom had never seen such variety. First, Shabel-Grah, one of the brightest and most potent images he had ever sen, then the girl, the striking resemblance of a tortured soul, the same as 'her'... and then this newcomer. Her voice told him she was female, but her soul said otherwise. It was constantly shifting and morphing, tumbling inside itself into new forms by the second, as if hundreds--millions--of souls had been merged into one single being. Of course, Phantom thought. A shapeshifter.

Even that little rabbit glowed with a brilliance that was uncommon to most animals.

"So," Phantom said aloud, taking most by suprise. He had been leaning against the wall, in the shadows, and after a few moments it was no wonder most of the world forgot about him. It was asif he was never there,and these people had been startled at the fact that he was in fact, still there and listening to everything. "We've got our path ahead of us. When do we leave?"

Posted By: Esioul Jul 17, 2004 - 04:22 pm

Judith decided it might be time to interrupt.
"Why don't we leave now?"

They looked at her oddly. All right, all right, she thought, I didn't exactly introduce myself.

"I'm Judith, and I'm coming too. Even if you don't want me to come, I'll come anyway."

Posted By: SirJill Jul 17, 2004 - 04:38 pm

Rowena still had her attention fixed on the dark elf in front of her. She met his eyes and held them for a long moment, ignoring Judith. She held the dirk up between them, looking at him consideringly. "Don't screw with me, elf."

With that she turned and stalked back to Shabel Grah putting herself beside him again. Reluctantly she sheathed her dirk back in her boot, her eyes still not leaving Rathsarann. It was clear that she would have liked to kill him but only Shabel Grah's words held her back.

Posted By: Magus Jul 17, 2004 - 04:53 pm

"O.K., that's better. Now, Judith is it, why do you want to come with us? More than that, what use are you to us? We already seem to be pretty well rounded here and aren't in need of any more. What can you offer us that we don't already have?"

Posted By: SirJill Jul 17, 2004 - 05:00 pm

"She's probably with Them." Rowena muttered under her breath.

Posted By: SirJill Jul 17, 2004 - 05:51 pm

She turned on her heel and moved toward the stairway that presumably led to the upper levels. "You're going to get us all killed, Shabel." she warned before she ascended.

(Please see my note in the Lycoria discussion!)

Posted By: ForeverZero Jul 17, 2004 - 07:02 pm

Phantom saw the woman's soul dim just then. Hardly noticable, she ascended the stairs, her soul lacking the traumatized spark but gaining, in place of it, the signs of one who would soon fall into a stress-induced coma, or some sort of sleep. Phantom couldn't be sure, but he knew she wouldn't be very...talkative... for quite a while. There was, however, another soul on her form, somehow superimposed onto hers, but it, too still had a dim image, ever since the Necromancer casted his spell.

Not that he complained. He'd rather these fools keep their little conversations to themselves unless it was something of real importance. But he had a job to do and this was the only way he would be able to get it done.

After all, 'she' was after that stone, too.

"You know, at this point she'll just get in the way." Phantom muttered to Shabel-Grah. He knew the Necromancer would probably take her along anyway, but there was a small chance they could speed things up. Deep inside, Phantom wanted to take her along, too. Something about the affect she had on him was unlike any other, except for 'her'.

Posted By: Magus Jul 17, 2004 - 07:12 pm

Shabel-Grah heard her words echoeing over and over in his mind. "You're going to get us all killed, Shabel." And he had gotten others killed before too.

No, his mind insidted. That was NOT ME! It was Sabal! It was Sabal-Gah! You couldn't save them! He killed them and you were lucky! You were lucky to live! You tried to avenge them! You tried and he fled! He flees even now! This is all about HIM! This was always about him!

Shabel-Grah looked at the shapeshifter, maybe druid. Thomas didn't know for sure. He trusted Thomas' guess though, seeing how it was what he too thought. "So, maybe we should all get on the same page here. I believe you had something to say, Deovhara. Why don;t you enlighten the rest of us."

Posted By: Neurolanis Jul 18, 2004 - 06:07 am

"PLease do," said Rathsarann, now acting like a perfect gentleman. His performance was solid, but too much in contradiction to his earlier actions to be believed by this crowd.

Posted By: Magus Jul 18, 2004 - 06:22 am

Shabel-Grah looked at Rathsarann. He had undergone a complete change. He knew that he now trusted him even less. Maybe it was a mistake taking him along, even if only part of the way. Maybe he would kill them all in order to achieve his vengence.

NO! They will NOT die! You will NOT kill them! She was wrong!

He wouldn't kill them, he knew that. But what if his actiona resulted in their deaths? Could he live with any more upon him? Could he bear them as he had his parents?

You didn't kill them! Sabal Gah did! Your brother! Not you!

He wanted to believe that, he really did. But something inside of him wouldn't let him rest. Something inside of him knew that he was respomsible. Maybe he didn't kill his parents. But he let them die.

Posted By: Neurolanis Jul 18, 2004 - 06:51 am

"Shabel-Grah," came Rathsarnn, showing great concern, "are you all right? You took like death."

Posted By: Magus Jul 18, 2004 - 08:17 am

"I'm fine." Shabel-Grah insisted, hoping that the subject would be dropped. He didn't realise that his thoughts were so open to the general to view. He fooled no one with his response.

Posted By: ForeverZero Jul 18, 2004 - 11:09 am

Even in a soul as bright as his, a flicker like that was not something to be ignored. It had happened what, twice now? No matter. Phantom had his secrets, and Shabel-Grah had his, so he was not about to pry.

"I know you hide something from us. Everyone in this room hs something they refuse to tell us. Even me," Phantom said, emerging form his shadows to stand next to Shabel-Grah. "But the thing is, you, Necromancer, are doing the worst job of hiding it."

The Necromancer looked at the blindfolded man just then. Phantom, if he had eyes, would be staring the Necromancer into petrification, but the effect seemed to come regardless, as if the necromancer knew how Phantom really saw the world, and was struck by his 'other' eyes.

Posted By: scalem the tenth Jul 18, 2004 - 12:31 pm

'Now come on people let us all get some sleep in order to start the new day with a clear head. It is getting late now and I don't want a hangover tomorrow. What you guy's are going to do is not my problem but if nobody objects I'm going up now to my room, have some sleep.' spoke Barrol. Well speak is not exactly the right word; it was more yawning than speaking.

As the half-ogre was halfway the stairs, the others realized that maybe this was not a bad idea, since those last discussions weren't really leading to something.

Posted By: Esioul Jul 18, 2004 - 02:29 pm

Judith glared at the Klundors. She knew them all, vaguely. Mates of Holoferne's. Oh well.
"So, I suppose I'm coming too. I'm not with 'them', darling. I wouldn't be surprised if they were with me, though.'

Posted By: Magus Jul 18, 2004 - 04:15 pm

Shabel-Grah had hated having his thoughts so open.

Sabal Never would have been read like this, he thought. He's frostier then a glaciar and more frigid then a blizzard. Even you couldn't see through him until it was too late.

Shabel-Grah pleaded with his mind to cease but it wouldn't head. It bantered on.

And some team you assembled to further your means of catching him. You have some girl who you don't know of, a blind assissin whom you know is a danger to you, an ogre who's a half-wit even among his own kind, a dark elf who has his own agenda and some shapeshifting druid.

They will do well. They all have skills needed by the whole group. I have faith in them. There is also Jacatour and myself to included, not to mention Thomas. Shabel Grah retorted in his mind.

They will stand no chance against Sabal-Gah! He is too much for the likes of them.

I don't intend on them to go against my 'dear' brother. I will deal with him myself! Me and no other!

Your even more of a fool then I thought. You won't end up killing them, Shabel. You'll kill yourself by so blindly attacking him. You know you will. It is suicide.

The argument in his head continued on like this for a while longer. The two sides could agree on only two things. He was putting these people in grave danger by even including them in the quest. The other was that attacking Sabal-Gah alone was foy. To do that he's need the power of the gem. And Sabal-Gah had a two week head start on that.

But he didn't have what Shabel-Grah had. He didn't have his master's map. The only one that could locate the tomb.

Don't be such a naive fool, Shabel-Grah, he thought. There are other ways to find the tomb. It is only a slight advantage. It will only buy you a week at the most. You will die ere journy's end.
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Magus » Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:50 am

Posted By: Neurolanis Jul 18, 2004 - 05:48 pm

"We head out tomarrow morning, I presume?" said Rathsarann. "I'll go get my men. Time to get some sleep. Pleasant seeing you, Judith."

Posted By: ForeverZero Jul 18, 2004 - 06:16 pm

Phantom still kept his sight on the Necromancer. There was something about him, he had finally realized, that was not normal; if, of course, what he originally was made out to be could be considered normal.

"Look, Shabel. I'm not going to ask you to reveal your secrets, but be aware I know you have them. I can see your soul. If you do anything out of the ordinary, I have no doubt that it will be my blade to pierce your throat. Understood?"

Phantom then decided to retire, but he did not sleep. He left the inn, and leapt up various window ledges and rafters to the roof, where he would stand the entire night in deep meditation.

"Why..." Phantom asked himself, "Why do I feel the need to protect her? Even that other girl..."

Phantom hd planned to kill her, that much was certain. But, why? Just because she wanted revenge? Even he knew self defense couldn't go that far.

And then he knew. He knew as clear as the last day he was able to see with his own two eyes, he was going to kill her to save her. He always had intentions to save her.

"Its the only way!" she had screamed to Phantom once. Getting that artifact, that jewel... with it, she would be able to exact her revenge not only on Phantom, but on all who opposed the art of the Blade of Heaven and Hell. They had banned it for its deadliness, and Master...

This was his mission, his purpose. Phantom knew full well what kind of corruption would arise form that stone, on a soul as tortured as hers. Eternal pain in exchange for vengeance. Phantom would rather take peace in knowing she was dead and at peace, rather than living a life of torture. It was for her own... safety.

Posted By: Magus Jul 18, 2004 - 06:37 pm

Shabel-Grah sat in his chair. Everyone had retired for the night, everyone, that is, except for Deovhara. Thomas now hopped over to her. She had taken the seat adjacent to his. She looked like she wanted to talk.

For Shabel-Grah it was a taxing day. He hadn't slept in over a week and had travelled almost continuosly for that entirety of time. He had cast numerous spells and it was begining to get to him.

He reached into his pocket and pulled out a potion, dark purple in color and extremely thick. In it he added some ground powder from a brown leather pouch in his robes. He drank it and felt refreshed and purified, as if he had slept all of three and a day. It was the secret to his energy over this sleepless time in these sleepless days. He finally looked at the girl and spoke to her in a refreshed and excited mannor, as if he had swallowed too much sugar and was having trouble controlling himself.

"Well, I guess you get your wish. We are alone and I am ready to listen. Where would you like to begin?"

Posted By: ForeverZero Jul 19, 2004 - 11:42 am

Finally at peace, Phantom began his ritual. It was a meditation that had been outlawed, but that did not deter him from paying his respects to his master. He was a disciple of that art, banned or not, and he would not let the law get in his way.

As he stood, tall and outstretched, he held his arms out as if to embrace, and curved them in a circle, one arm moving to the sky, the other moving to the earth, and they soon converged together into a formation of his hands that looked as if he were praying.

And so, he began his chant:

"Shirash eiyisah en kiasch tieya..."

He said the words unlike his usual tone of voice, as if his voice had been replaced with a snake's, and he had whispered the words more than chanted them.

He repeated the words, and this time they echoed. Again he repeated the chant, and soon the words echoed all around him, as if hundreds of voices were hising the same chant as he. If any man were nearby it would surely have killed him from fear.

If anyone could see the world as Phantom did, they would see brilliance, a sea of flowing plumes of energy flowing all around him in waves, glimmering with brilliance and magnificence. This was the essence of his meditation--he would for this short time, become one with the spirits of the land, and thus, would be able to sustain his DIvine Sight for a longer time. Not all abilities came naturally.

To the naked eye, however, anyone who saw would hear the chants echoing from every posible piint arounf Phantom, and would see the air ripple with distortion, would feel the very plane of existence they lived in being bended and pulled in varying natures.

The chants echoed throughout, and their volume increased, and if Phantom were not concentrated so he would fear that those inside the inn would hear the spiritual chant reverberate through the walls of the structure.

Shirash eiyisah en kiasch tieya...

Posted By: Esioul Jul 19, 2004 - 12:29 pm

Judith shivered: then wondered why. It wasn't cold, really. She was crouched on her bed wrapped in her own coat, the blankets discarded on the floor. She had been unable to avoid sniffing them, just to make sure, when she arrived, and this had decided her that she wanted to be as far away from them as possible.

"So" she said to herself. "I'm going too. I might even get a shot at Holofernes, on the way." She smiled- it was impossible to resist. There were infinite ways of despatching Holoferenes, but beheading seemed to be the best. Yes. Then she could wave the head around and scare people with it. "I like revenge" she said to herself. "Not that I'm a drama queen. But this ****** deserves revenge."

Posted By: Magus Jul 19, 2004 - 01:18 pm

(Now let me introduce you to Jacatour, a half orc, or Rolc. He is not a usual rolc. He was not made as one. He was the result of an orc raping his mother in one of the northern kingdoms during a raid. He has two famed katanas, which he named the brother's fury, held in black sheaths in his black leather belt. They are identical, crimson hilts with milky white blades. Both blades have an identical inscription on them. In fine golden runes the words "In the name of justice, yee not guilty". He has green hair across his entire body, short and course. His head hair is braided into thin yet long strands and have maroon string intertwined with it. He has no armor on him, wearing only tanned leather pants and a dark forest green cloak. He is a vigilante. He follows his own moral compass and does what he believes to be the right thing to do, whether or not it's illegal is society's problem. He was raised by a nomadic tribe of warriors. For more information read Lycoria Discussion.)

The storm raged across the land. Nothing could hardly be seen at all. Jacatour only knew that he was in some vast plain in Kiruhit, coming upon the Jaded Wayfarer Inn. Even that was not certain in this blinding watery inferno. The night was cold and not even the stars dared tread on such a storm. It's fury intensified as Jacatour scoured the lands, for the inn his comrade would be staying.

He treked the storm on foot, no horse or any such luxury for him. His forest green cloak did little to keep him dry, or even simply moist. He was drenched, wetter then a fish even.

Clumsily Jacatour ran into a finger post. His half-orc eyes could barely read the letters. It read:

Traveller, welcome to Kiruhit.

He had only gotten this far? He was further behind then he had thought. It would be past high sun tomarrow before he could be reunited with his comrade. Shabel-Grah would have to wait. Right now he could only think about his fruitless journey. He had only waisted time, which was precious to them. If ever they were to meet their appropriate ends then the duo would have to learn the meening of haste.

Posted By: Neurolanis Jul 20, 2004 - 12:33 pm

The sun rose. It was morning.

The loud roars of the early birds in the tavern downstairs echoed through the walls like an army's march. The sweet pine smell rose up from the outside. All the men and women in the bedrooms had to have been pulled awake by the effect.

Five Klundors awaited Rathsarann at the bottom of the stairs. They were well dressed, entirely in black. A distinguishable red sash was tied to Rathsarann's belt. It may have seemed to be a signal of his authority, but actually it was personal. A piece of a woman's dress. His darling beloved, who was murdered by thieves in the night. Those were simpler times. Times when Rathsarann was an optimist. Times when he embraced the morning with a smile.

However, a smile did meet his face on this morning. A strange, twisted smile of anticipation. He sat down at the table, and was quickly faced with a waiter. "Good morning, Gents. May I help you?"

"I doubt it," snickered Rathsarann. "I'll have Toto Rum. Shaken, not mixed. They'll have your breakfast special."

"Bacon, eggs, ham, our famous rolls and a glass of red ale, aye. Good choice. And what will you eat?"

"I'm not hungry," replied Rathsarann. "Food is over rated."

Posted By: Magus Jul 20, 2004 - 12:56 pm

Shabel-Grah left the company of Deovhara, who was slumbering peacefully at the table. He had not slept all night, nor did he need to, or even could if he wanted to. The potion he drank was powerful. It's effects would last for eighteen more hours still. Then he would drink some more.

He strolled over to the bar. While he had a potion or spell for nearly anything and everything, he had yet to find one to fill his gut and sustain him.

"A bottle of claret barkeep. I also wish for some fish. And some vegitables for Thomas, here." Shabel-Grah said, throwing another coin on the counter.

Jacatour should arrive ere tomarrow. As soon as he did arrive they would depart. Any who dared acompany them would be welcomed. But they wouldn't hold for any. Their mission was mutually important to the both of them. It was far too important to delay. They have already waited too long without progress.

Posted By: Neurolanis Jul 20, 2004 - 01:30 pm

"Sure thing," said the bartender. "We have a fresh barrel of salmon, friend. Came in just a moment ago. I could cook you up a half of one for the same price of your drink."

Posted By: Magus Jul 20, 2004 - 04:10 pm

"Whatever you wish." Shabel-Grah stated in a bored noncaring manner. His eyes layed on the door, as if any minute now his companion would walk through that door and they would leave. But nobody came in, not even the early morning drunkards.

Posted By: ForeverZero Jul 20, 2004 - 05:01 pm

Awakening from his trance, Phantom saw things in a new light. It was as if one who was near blind had ben given back his sight, and oh, was it wonderful. Phantom's eyes--no, his soul's eyes--had been enhanced, or rather, restored, and he felt like the first time he had discovered this ability.

He remembered it as clear as day: Master was dead, 'she' had ran away, and he was alone. He had decided to meditate, to try and connect to the spirit world, to try and seek one last bit of advice from his fallen Sensei... but what resulted was much different. The renewal of sight, a sight greater than any sight he ahd before. His Divine Sight.

It was a new day, a wind was blowing form the east, the air still damp with droplets of rain, and the ashen clouds still hung overhead, dry of their tempest but not of their reluctance.

Phantom leapts off the building softly to his feet, landing with only a slight sound, and he walked into the inn to find that Necromancer staring at him with a questionable anticipation.

"What's wrong, were you worried about me?" Phantom teased. He knew the Necromancer would also find confusion in the fact that Phantom, an assassin, a cold-blooded killer and lurker of the shadows, would seem so lighthearted at the moment, but after his meditation, Phantom couldn't help it.

"Well, I'm ready to leave. As long as someone leads the way, I don't care who gets left behind. All I care about is getting to my destination."

Posted By: Magus Jul 20, 2004 - 05:10 pm

"Our final companion arrives ere the morrow. He could walk in this very moment or deep in the night. we leave when he arrives." Spoke Shabel-Grah.

'We leave' he thought, 'without delay. The moment he enters we all will exit.'

Posted By: Esioul Jul 21, 2004 - 09:10 am

Judith woke up and felt uncomfortable. Of course, there would be bed bugs in a place like this. But she smiled, when she remembered how easily she had found it. Back in Neseldin, K'larkh would be pleased; she drew a small tin box out of her bag, opened it, and picked out a dead, dried butterly.
"Freibnat" she said, whistling at it. It flapped its wings, jerkily, while she whispered to it, and then it flew, fluttering through the opening window, into the pale morning.

She made her way into the main room of the inn, finding the others, and affected a yawn and a stretch and an awkward attitude.
"I don't suppose anyone knows when we're going, or exactly what we're after?"

Posted By: Magus Jul 21, 2004 - 09:51 am

Shabel-Grah looked at Judith as she walked down from her room. Judith, the companion who was brash and seemed to want to rush off everywhere. She had indeed seemed to want to rush off with them. Shabel-Grah wondered why. He could see no good reason for it.

Judth yawned mightily as she asked her question. Her hair was messy and unkempt, obviously from the night's sleep. Her eyes still wore the crust from the night's sleep as well. She appeared to have slept in her cloths, for they were the same she wore the previous night, but they were now wrinkled horrably.

"We leave when the final member is drawn. When he arrives we leave without delay. He'll be here ere tomarrow." Shabel-Grah said, answering the first question.

Judith seemed on the verge of speaking again. She obviously wasn't paying attention last night when their destination was revealed.

I shouldn't complain, Shabel-Grah thought. There are not many who would be willing to take on this quest. There are even fewer who'd be willing without even knowing what they're getting themselves into.

"We leave for the Tomb of Orceth. It is east of the kingdom of AVANOOR, in the Forest of Orceth. It is a tomb that cannot be found except by those who already know the way. Orceth was indeed a clever magus. His skill at illusions and trickery is still awed by many of todays most reveared mages. It will be dangerous going though. He undoubtably left many traps for the unwary venturer." Shabel-Grah told her.

He couldn't come to tell her the truth. There are deadlier dangers then traps which await us. Sabal-Gah seeks the tomb as well. Somehow he happened upon the location. He will surely kill any who travel there for good measure. And then there is Yissam Snizwatt. Surely he stalks Jacatour. He could prove to be just as much of a problem.

But Shabel-Grah didn't say this. Indeed, he took extra care not to show any expresion of it on his face, not after being so easily read the previous night. They would all have to be in the dark on these dangers.

Posted By: Neurolanis Jul 21, 2004 - 11:24 am

"I know a little about the TOMBS in those dark woods," spoke up Rathsarann. He had come up unnoticed behind Shabel-Grah and Judith. "The lords of the country cults of old were buried there by shamans of Avanoor. Great curses are said to befall those who come upon those tombs, and no thief before who has tried to claim any buried treasure from them has lived to tell the tale. You lead your followers into a trap. What treasure could possibly be there to make that risk worth the bother?"

Posted By: ForeverZero Jul 21, 2004 - 12:23 pm

"A treasure even I'm willing to stop someone from getting," Phantom spoke up as he approached the Klundor.

Indeed, even this dark elf was suprised at what Phantom's intentions were. For all they knew he was just going there to kill someone or just in it for the money. But for one in Phantom's lifetime, he had his own agenda.

"I suppose you know it by now, Necromancer. More than you know are after this artifact of Orceth. But I'll have you--and everyone in this very room-- know that I'm only stopping my target from getting it. I do not care, nor am I to blame if someone else grabs it."

At that, Phantom took a seat, while the others undoubtedly wondered why he knew of such a thing. He talked as if he knew what it could do, and he indeed knew what it could do... but only to 'her'. Its true power, he knew nothing about.

Posted By: Magus Jul 21, 2004 - 01:13 pm

Phantom's words bored deep into Shabel-Grah's mind. I do not wish it for personal gain, thought the necromancer. I need it to defeat a great evil. Without it in my possession Sabal-Gah will surely get it. If that happens then he'll start with me and then with the others of my party. He will then spread like a plague upon this earth, destroying all he meets. I guess that's what you get when you're born fully minus one soul.

"I understand. You won't be held accountable. But know if you attempt to stop me from MY goal then I myself will slit your throat. Make no mistake in that. This is above you. This is above her." Shabel-Grah said, gesturing towards Judith. "It is above me. Its beyond all of us. You are right about one this though, assassin. More then you know hunt for this gem. More then you know."

Posted By: Esioul Jul 21, 2004 - 02:07 pm

"Nothing. Is. Above. Me." Said Judith, continuing the form of short sentences, although perhaps to the point of hyperbole. Well: they were happy in knowing there was a gem, and that everyone was very urgently looking for it, and she knew that they were all indignantly but proudly reproaching Sahbel-Grah's dignity and pride, and that they were being confidant in knowing that nothing could possibly be above or beyond them . All this would make them happy and excited, and there is nothing like happiness and excitment to produce ignorance and to assist in the concealment of the contradictory plans of others.

Posted By: Neurolanis Jul 21, 2004 - 05:04 pm

Rathsarann kept quiet in sound and manner after Shabel-Krah's speech, shading himself into the background.

Posted By: Magus Jul 21, 2004 - 05:43 pm

"Believe what you will." Shabel-Grah said in an irritated voice. He returned his attention to the door.

Soon, he thought. He will come soon and we will depart. Soon.
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Magus » Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:51 am

Posted By: Magus Jul 21, 2004 - 11:46 pm

Jacatour pulled his hood back from over his face. His piercing black eyes searched the land, the washed over briefly with a crimson color.

The morning was drab and foreboding. It was especially humid and overcast this morn, almost like the storm left begrudgingly and would like nothing more then to come back.

The ground was slick with mud. Hills would be treatcherous today in climbing. Rivers all over this land were undoubtably overun with excess water, bloated to the extreme. Their clear blue waters turned choppy and white.

Ahead he could see a small town in the dim light of the rising sun, overcast by the thick cloud cover. Shabel-Grah was in that town, he could sense it.

He is there, thought the half-orc warrior. I know he is. He is undoubtably in one of the inns. Hopefully there were at least one or two seasoned adventurers crazy enough to join us. Hopefully.

Jacatour began to make his way. The morning was gloomy but his spirit was a mix of that gloom and an inate sense of joy.

I failed to catch him, he thought. But now we depart. We can catch Sabal-Gah, now. And Yissam is sure to follow us, no doubt. I shall not lose him sinse he shall not lose me.

Off he went, heading into town. He would search the buildings one by one. Eventually, ere high noon, he would make his way into the doors of The Jaded Wayfarer Inn.

Posted By: Neurolanis Jul 22, 2004 - 03:19 am

A Rolc? It couldn't be. Rathsarann snarled.

Posted By: Magus Jul 22, 2004 - 06:33 am

The wet mud clung to the leather boots of the half-orc. The morning was becoming much hotter and the day ahead would be difficult and uncomfortable to travel in. The cloud cover had retreated to the north. The merciless sun bore down on Jacatour, as it would bear down on all of his companions.

As Jacatour toured the town he noticed it to be nothing but a spec that would be long forgotten soon enough. The only building spotting this town were three taverns, two inns, several small homes and a few outdoor shops. It was safest to assume that Shabel-Grah would be in one of the inns. There he could acquire some of his precious claret and a few companions to boot.

First he tried The Frothing Flagon Inn. It was an ancient place, suffering from countless years of neglect and disrepair. The floorboards were rotting, gaping holes could be easily seen in the rotted wood. The walls, too, were rotting and suffering termites. It was a miracle that the roof hadn't caved in yet, but Jacatour wasn't eager to see that. Shabel-Grah was not here.

Next Jacatour headed for The Jaded Wayfarer Inn. It was a respectable looking establishment. It wasn't to overly done up, but neither was it lacking or wanting for anything. It was clean and in a good state of repair. It was the kind of place that Shabel-Grah would frequent, if given the opportunity. Jacatour entered the building.

The door creaked eerily when it was opened. A mix of scents caught the rolc's attention. One was cinimon, it smelled heavily of it. There was ham and eggs cooking and several brands of drink, both exotic and generic. Another mix of smells hit him. Claret, rabbit hair and an odd mix of exotic chemicals assaulted his senses. Before the door was even half open he knew that Shabel-Grah was here.

Indeed the necromancer was here. His eyes met his when the door made way for him to enter. Shabel-Grah wa obviously impatient and had been monitering the door for some time now, by the look too long for the necromatic cleric's taste. The bones of a fish and a drained bottle stained the color of red wine lay abandoned at the bar. Thomas lay munching on a green leaf of some kind.

Immediately Thomas leapt onto the half-orc, who rubbed and petted him affectionatley. He made his way in and took a seat next to his companion.

"How's the food here?" Asked Jacatour.

"Same old same old." Shabel-Grah said in a rushed and eccited manner. "How'd ye prevail?"

Jacatour remained silent for a long while. His silence spoke volumes to Shabel-Grah. He had been unsuccessful.

"Barkeep," Spoke Jacatour, "I'd like three chickens and four flagons of ale."

He thrust half a dozen silvers onto the bar. If more had been present it would have drawn a few stares. The only patrons who were present this early seemed more transfixed on him. He knew instinctively that these were his new comrades.

Posted By: els Jul 22, 2004 - 03:45 pm

Too many people, too many eyes on her. Deovhara had waited and waited for the room to empty before speaking to Shabel-Grah, and then, when they were alone, her voice had failed her, and she had fled the building in shame.

"I'm a coward," she said, kicking at the gnarled, grey roots of a tree in the quiet copse near the inn. "How hard could it be to talk to him? I told Thomas."

Shame gripped her, and she shook with it, her hands clenched, fingernails biting into her palms. Perhaps she should just sneak the overlayment that went with the real map into Shabel-Grah's bag, and hope he figured it out.

Whatever happened, she hoped Thomas would do well. He was a nice little rabbit.

Posted By: ForeverZero Jul 22, 2004 - 06:24 pm

"You..."

Phantom leapt from his hiding in the rafters to the floor, knowing full well who this was. One of the few Phantom couldn't easily hide from.

When he first saw his soul approaching the inn, he had leapt to the rafters, for a better vantage point. Walls were no obstacle to his sight--he could see the warrior's soul clear as day from this angle.

But as he walked in the door, Phantom had finally remembered him. A Rolc, a man Phantomw as once assigned to kill. Being an assassin he asked no questions nor was present motives, only payment and the job.

A job he was never payed for.

A job he had failed.

"You're that warrior. I suppose you remember me, Rolc," Phantom began. "You should be proud that you are the only target I failed to kill."

His hands were gripping his knife handles in their scabbards tightly, and if he did not wear gauntlets his knuckles would be cearly white.

Posted By: Magus Jul 22, 2004 - 06:33 pm

Jacatour looked at this man before him, the man who appeared to be both blind and not. He studied him long and hard, examining his every feature. His eyes flew over his every feature, from the curve of his nose and lip to the posture to the very mannor about him.

"No. I'm sorry but I don't remember you. Many have been sent to kill me, I cannot possably remember them all. I am flattered, though, that you seem to remember me so vividly. Was I any good?" Jacatour added that last part as a mock, a joke in poor taste. Jests were never his strong suit.

Posted By: ForeverZero Jul 22, 2004 - 10:21 pm

"You forgot me, huh? I get that a lot. I guess it's just in my nature."

Phantom let his guard down then, half because he would have to cooperate with the warrior, and half because he knew one who couldn't remember him wouldn't hold any grudges.

Besides, he didn't care about money anymore. He had to focus. Was all the meditation last night for nothing?

He remembered that sacred, outlawed chant, and began to wonder why no one heard its loud reverberations, much less understood what was being chanted.

Posted By: Magus Jul 23, 2004 - 05:55 am

Jacatour could honestly not remember anyone who had tried to kill him who resembled this man before him. He wondered vaguely is Yissam Snizwatt had hired him. His brother would do anything to turn him. That why he killed... but it wasn't his style. He had wanted to convert his half-orc half-brother on his own. Maybe he was making something of reputation for himself. Maybe his work was paying off. Or maybe this man was mistaken, but it didn't look the case.

Jacatour returned to his meal. He started on the third of the four spiced chickens and the second mug of ale.

His eyes were a dark color, maybe black or maybe brown, no one was quite sure. Every now and the they would sheen over and briefly cover themselves in a crimson inner light. He had numerous small scars all across his body, but none in the face. But his neck and arms were littered with them.

He had a very muscular build. His reach was long, his hands ending in small "almost" claws. A large gash cut across his chest diagonally. Coarse green hair, short and dark, covered his entire body, from head to toe. He wore tanneed leather boots and leggings of only a slightly darker color. A black leather pouch hung at his leggings, it jingled with the familiar sounds of Ferros, Silvers and Tawnies. His dark forest green cloak obscurred the rest of his body.

Two hilts protruded from his cloak as he continued to eat solomly. They were crimson, like the sheen in his eye. Four hilts, which decreased in size as they neared the blade, were visible ere they hit the hilt and were lost to it. They were katanas to any who knew such things of weapons. And any who knew that much could tell any this as well. They were one of a kind, nowhere in all of the realms could you find another set like this.

He had a pack made of rough dark brown leather. It was tied at a point with strips of the same leather. It was not the sphisticated drawstring bag of Shabel-Grah but the practically simple one of nomads.

From the size and shape of the bag it presumably held dried meats and dried vegetables, healing herbs and cleaning and sharpening equipment for his weapon.

The hair at his head fell down nearly three feet. It was held with braids, and the braids held with thicj pieces of string, alternating in colors of red, blue, green and black. The braids were arranged in different patterns, the string as well. They seemed to hold an ancient regality about them, as if they were steeped in cultur and wisdom, knowledge and power. By the count there were eleven braids all together.

He finished his meal without another word. ANybody who viewed the two of them, Jacatour and Shabel-Grah, together could tell that they were different. In what ways, however; nobody could tell. They appeared separate parts of a whole.

Posted By: Neurolanis Jul 23, 2004 - 08:45 am

"'Ere You you go, Sir," said the barkeep, placing the chickens and ale upon the counter. "That'll be two silvers."

"For the journey?" inquired Rathsarann.

Posted By: Magus Jul 23, 2004 - 09:07 am

Jacatour reached into his pouch. He pulled out a handful of change and put them on the counter. Altogether they were one hundred twenty Ferros.

"Ay, here you go. Might as well get rid o' all that change. Been carryin' it 'round for a fortnight. Gets a bit heavy an' all." He told in a deep barritonal voice.

His meal was finished. The four chickens were made waste to and the ales had drowned them. The fresh meat now decorated the inside of his leather sack.
Jacatour put another Silver on the counter. "Another ale 'tender. Make it strong."

Everyone knew that this would be his last ale here. They all knew that departure would arrive when he slew the drink with his parched throat. Their departure was nigh at hand.

Posted By: SirJill Jul 24, 2004 - 01:44 pm

In her room Rowena was pacing. Her hands were locked behind her, head down and her feet drumming a constant rythem on the floor. She could hear muffled conversation from downstairs and wondered what the others were talking about. Or even if they were awake yet. But her mind would insist on returning to her first thought upon waking:

What happened last night?

She had been awakened by...rays, almost. Something sliding along her skin in the middle of the night. It took her a few sleep droused moments to figure out it was magic. She had gone to the window and--

She was overwhelmed by a feeling that was akin to being dumped on the floor.

Laughter flowered out of her mouth as she looked around with new eyes, surveying the room. Her weapons, including her sword were still on the table. She put them on, still grinning wickedly and proceded downstairs.

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Aug 08, 2004 - 03:28 pm

[this character of mine is Rieze Sharah, a best friend of Aizlyn and Deovhara, also a shapeshifter, however, she is the only one of her clan because they were slaughtered by the Rajani clan]

days after the party had left, a short, slender figure hooded and cloaked in black stopped to open the door of the Jaded Wayfarer Inn. Around her, the mood was warm and amicable.

the figure's cloak fell back and a woman was revealled. she looked no older than 19, her skin was a golden honey colored olive tan. her hair was deep black and hung in long, loose curls. her eyes were a striking blue, searching, searching for something.

She walked to the bar and requested a lemon-water recieving an odd look from the man behind. when he returned, she motioned for him to come closer by crooking her long silver nail.

"has anyting unusual happened in de last month?"
she requested, her tone pleasant and slightly accented. the bartender quietly told her of the events and she nodded, tipping him lavishly and paying for a room.

she had to reach them, they would be near Avanoor by now. she had to tell Aizlyn of the danger that was looming. but not yet, it was late and Rieze was tired. she would be able to get to Avanoor by the next day,as the crow flies, if she flew swiftly,that is.

Posted By: Magus Aug 08, 2004 - 05:29 pm

(Here I'm introducing Sabal-Gah. He is the brother of Shabel-Grah. He is a powerful illusionist. His robes are the same size as Shabel-Grah's, except that they are black with a golden trim. He, is the identical twin a Shabel-Grah, looking exactly like him. He keeps his hood up and over his face, only a dark shadow can be seen obscuring his face. But, as an illusionist, he can make others see him any way he wants them to. He's Shabel-Grah's equal in both fighting abilities and magic. He is soulless and pure evil. He seeks the gem of Orceth to be able to surpass and kill his brother, and however many innocent bystanders as he can find. He's ruthless and cunning. He is more than a formidable foe. He is quite the convincing actor.)

A little girl ran into The Jaded Wayfarer's Inn. Her eyes were amber with specs of gray and her hair was golden as the sun. She wore a plain bron dress and was withou shoes. Her creemy white skin was marred with mud and dust. She had many small scrapes over her body. Her tears raced down her face and she screeched horrably.

She opened her eyes as she ran in, looking awfully confused. She saw a woman in black and ran to her, crying and balling loudly.

"Help me, can you please help! I lost my mommy and daddy! They were in a caravan! They said... they said..."

Posted By: Neurolanis Aug 08, 2004 - 05:31 pm

"A bartender here was mysteriously murdered," said the barkeep quitly, while cleaning a mug with a spotty rag. "We think it may have been related to a gang of Klundors. They left, thankfully. What's your poison?"

Posted By: Esioul Aug 09, 2004 - 01:55 am

(Pyrrhus Valerian enters. He used to be in the army of K'Larkh, but due to an inability to get promoted he deserted, and has been wandering around this part of the world for a few years. He is some kind of a magician, and kills/removes demons in order to make his living. He is of average height, has very short black hair, blue eyes, and is about 36 years old. He dresses plainly, but his clothes are of expensive materials and well-made, and he obviously takes a pride in looking neat).

Valerian rushed into the Inn. It was raining outside, and he rather suspected his coat was ruined. It was a useless coat anyway: his shrit underneath was disgustingly wet.
"Could I have some mulled wine?" he asked the man at the bar, tiredly, sitting down and turning out his pockets. ••••. He had enough to live on for a few days, but unless anyone needed some simple spells and a demon or two removing then he would have to beg. He hated begging. He reluctantly paid for the wine, but couldn't help feeling releived when he took the glass; it was warm, and smelt wonderful.

The bartender was complaining about something to someone. Valerian thought he caught the words 'murder' and 'Klundors' and wondered if he ought to have chosen another Inn. Perhaps I ought to find out? He thought, uneasily. The Klundors were very friendly with K'Larkh, and many of them were in his pay.

Posted By: Magus Aug 09, 2004 - 03:36 am

The girl looked shocked and angry and surprised that nobody was notcing her or paying her any mind. She was drenched head to foot, filthy as the Earth and her tears were mixing with the water.

"Please! You've got to help me! Momma... she... she..."

She girl reached into her dredd and pulled out a small pouch. She emptied it and two gold coins fell through.

"Momma... she divided the money between Pappa, herself and me! Please, help me! I'll give it all to you if you'd please just help!"

Heavy sobs began and her screeching echoed in the near empty inn. Outside thunder clashed, once, twoce, thrice.

Posted By: Esioul Aug 09, 2004 - 05:49 am

"What's the matter?" Valerian asked, tiredly. "I could help- there, don't cry. Explain to me what happened, and what I need to do" sighing, he got up and put his sopping wet coat on again.

Posted By: Jade MoonStar Aug 09, 2004 - 06:39 am

(Another nymph, also a witch, however, this one is a psychic. She can see into the future via her occasional visions (of course, that would be unfair if I decided when she had them, all yours Neuro.. ^_^). Also, her powers in telikenesis far out way any Jade could ever have, as she has trained a lot more. Finally, other than being able to move things with her mind, Laurana (yes, that's her name) can use her psychic powers to levitate slightly above the ground at a much faster pace than she could on the ground (about double her running speed, but she's not running or even moving her feet)
Oh, unlike Jade, her powers are not linked to the weather, she can use them when she wants to.

Now, for the description of the actual character!
Laurana stands at a mere 4ft 7in (the same as Jade's height), is of a slender build, and looks like an eight year child. She has brilliantly long and straight silver hair (down to her shoulders), her eyes are icey blue, all of her facial features are very small (what would you expect from a child?), actually, everything about her is small, down to her miniscule hands and fingers.

She wears the same type of robes as Jade, except the color of her robes is black. Again, the robes leave her face shrouded in darkness, leaving her silver eyes as two moons in the night sky.

Laurana has a very pleasant attitude towards all people, however, she is as many would call her "stuck up" or "high strung" and because of this, is very impatient. Also, she will not hesitate in a serious discussion and/ or battle.

Laurana is very young by nymph standards (only 50), so even though she REALLY doesn't look the adventuring type, I assure you, she is.)

Laurana knocked on the wooden door of the Jaded Wayfarer Inn rather impatiently. She was supposed to be meeting someone...

After several "patient" minutes of the rain beating down on her, the door of the Inn flew off it's hinges and onto the muddy ground with a deafening "thud"

"WHAT KIND OF SERVICE IS THIS!!??" she shrieked at the top of her lungs as she stomped into the now door-less inn, "WHY HAS NO ONE OPENED THE DOOR FOR ME!!??"

**hope you like her "interesting" attitude... ^_^**

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Aug 09, 2004 - 10:45 am

Rieze was shocked by the crying child at her feet, but being able to change shapes herself, she sensed something. . . unusual about the child. A man spoke comfortingly to her as Rieze tried to decide how to respond. Then the door flew open and another child screeched about service.

"Has the town suddenly been overrun by eight year olds?" she sarcastically asked the man beside her, under her breath.

Rieze turned back to the bartender. her words were soft and accented. those who hear her speak knew that the common tounge she was speaking was not her native tounge. her tounge stumbled clumsily over some of the syllables, but at least she tried.

"klundors you say, no? perhaps was a woman with them? a most beautiful woman, one of de name of Aizlyn or Deovhara? you say dey left, yes? vere did dey go?" raising her voice above the sounds of the bar, Rieze shouted.

" I haf two gold pieces for de one who can tell me vere de klundors vent to."

Posted By: Neurolanis Aug 09, 2004 - 11:10 am

"Ah..," thought the bartender outloud. "No...not that I recall. Names I remember were like Shabble-Gah, Rowana, Jactanoor...but it's hard to remember."
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Magus » Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:52 am

Posted By: Jade MoonStar Aug 09, 2004 - 11:23 am

Standing in the doorway, her nostrils flaring with rage, Laurana continued her savage remarks simply out of the fact that she was also being ingnored, "HELLO!!?? CAN SOMEONE PLEASE FIND ME A SEAT AND DRINK!!??"

"YOU!" she pointed at the shapeshifter, "FIND...ME...A...SEAT!!!!"

"YOU!" she pointed at the bartender, "GET...ME...A...DRINK!!!!"

Laurana screamed all this with a tone that shouted, "I'm better than you and YOU know it!"

After her terrific rant, Laurana cutely sat down on the floor, expectantly waiting to be attended to...

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Aug 09, 2004 - 11:24 am

"shabel-Grah? are you positive it vas SHABEL-GRAH? dere vas no shape shifters? none by de names of Deovhara? try and remember man... dis is important matter, vere ver dey going???"

she'd leaned across the bar, her blue eyes sparking dangerously. her friend had been on a mission to provide Shabel-Grah with information he didnt have yet. this was all about destroying the Rajanis like they did to the Sharah clan, her family.

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Aug 09, 2004 - 11:34 am

when the child by the door tried to distract her by ordering she find her a seat, Rieze's temper flared. she turned, angry that such a little thing could be hampering her in avenging her clan.

"you can find your own d-- seat you spoilt brat." she retorted, growing taller, darker, more imposing. the inn hushed at her sudden transformation and manifestation of power.

"you do have vorking legs, dont you?" she asked sarcastically, her anger ebbing slowly.

Posted By: Neurolanis Aug 09, 2004 - 11:39 am

The bartender sent one of the help to assist Laurana, while giving her a strange look.

Posted By: Magus Aug 09, 2004 - 02:18 pm

"Please! Won't anybody help me find my momma and poppa?" The little girl shreeked. All this time her tears and cries grew into a great forissimo. The floor had grown slick with her tears and her voice was growing horse and crackeled.

"I have gold! I can pay you for your service! Please just help me find my momma and poppa! Please!" Her sobs came to an entirely new level. The girl continued to screach and cry histarically.

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Aug 09, 2004 - 03:02 pm

Rolling her eyes, Rieze turned to the wailing child. she shifted back to a more comforting shape, no longer tall, dangerous, and imposing.

"do you know vere dey ver headed, pretty one?" she asked, playing on a young girl's vanity, and wishing for the lumpy mattress and quiet room of the inn.

though she was still suspicious of the young girl, she tried her best to quiet her. all the wailing was giving her a headache.

Posted By: Jade MoonStar Aug 09, 2004 - 03:43 pm

Bewildered at the utterly rude attitude that the shapeshifter showed her, Laurana stood up and held her hands in front of her, palms outward and facing the nasty shapeshifter.

An un-seated wooden chair flew across the room and shattered into mere splinters as it hit the wall right next to the shapeshifter.

"NOW!", shouted Laurana, her palms still facing that awful shapeshifter, "GET ME A CHAIR!!"

Posted By: SirJill Aug 09, 2004 - 03:54 pm

[Digger MaLain, younger brother of Rowena. He's a better fighter than she is and can hold his drink considerably better. He is tall, with black hair to his shoulders and a very angular and somewhat thin face. His hands are slim, and he is ambidexterious in addition to being deadly in hand to hand combat. He is wearing a rust red tunic with sleeves to the elbowes and black breeches. A Black vest made of leather compliments his hair and breeches, as well as accenting the red (the same color of his tunic) cloak which drips over his shoulders. Hidden beneath his cloak is a variety of weapons including a slim, sliver sword, which he only takes out when he means business. His face is relatively mild as he enters and takes in the surrounding view]

Digger MaLain sauntered into the bar and smacked the child across the head. "My aren't we spoiled." He muttered and waved to the bartender. "Isn't she a bit young to be in here with out an escort?" He scanned the room and noticed the other hysterical 8 year old. "Her as well?"

Posted By: Jade MoonStar Aug 09, 2004 - 04:41 pm

***Where are you getting the "8 year old" thing? I said that my character "looks" like an eight year old, however, her face is covered in darkness, and her body is covered in black robes...so, unless all of your characters have "x-ray" vision, your only hearing a high-pitched voice and seeing a short, robed figure...***
(sorry, had to say that...)

"Excuse me?" Laurana shouted to the man who smacked her as she grabbed his wrist and twisted it backward with incredible ease, forgetting the shapeshifter for now.

"I believe its YOU who should have an escort!"

Posted By: SirJill Aug 09, 2004 - 04:54 pm

Digger met her eyes and twisted out of her grip. "Oh? And why is that?"

Posted By: Jade MoonStar Aug 09, 2004 - 05:23 pm

"Anyone who mistakes a 50 year old nymph for a mere child CLEARLY has something wrong with their brain, and DEFINETELY needs an escort!" Laurana retorted with confidence and rage.

Posted By: SirJill Aug 09, 2004 - 05:28 pm

Digger smiled in a particular way "Only 50? You mistake yourself then, nymph. You are still a child yet. Perhaps another 50 years will earn you the title of adult." He patted her on the head and walked over to the bar.

Posted By: Jade MoonStar Aug 09, 2004 - 06:01 pm

"ERRRR!!!!" screached Laurana, now blinded with rage.

At the wave of her hands, four of the wooden tables that occupy the Inn fly up into the air, and with amazing speed and force, head straight for the man's back.

Laurana simply stood where she was, cackling with eccentric delight...

Posted By: Neurolanis Aug 09, 2004 - 06:18 pm

The bartender tried to avoid eye contact with her. He glance at security, but said nothing to them yet.

Posted By: SirJill Aug 09, 2004 - 06:25 pm

Digger ducked.

Posted By: Magus Aug 09, 2004 - 06:29 pm

"Momma and Poppa, they said they were heading towards the city of Avanoor. Please help me find them! Please! The gold is yours if only you'd help me!" the little girl cried. Her screeches became a loud crescendo in the midst of all of the action. Her cries grew and sobs dripped continuously from her face. Her eyes were growing red from crying and some of her scrapes and cuts had opened from all of the activity, dripping a few dropplets of blood here and there.

Posted By: Esioul Aug 10, 2004 - 01:13 am

"Well, why are we still here? Let's go to Avenoor." Valerian jumped up, stopping the tables and sending them calmly back to their original positions, and looking around the inn cheerfully. The parents would probably have even more gold.

Posted By: Magus Aug 10, 2004 - 03:39 am

The girl's crying slowed and her face brightened. "really? We're going to find Momma... and Poppa, too? Thank you!" Her crying stoped, as did the screeching. Pure and innocent delight lit up her face.

Posted By: Esioul Aug 10, 2004 - 04:31 am

Valerian felt awkward. The little child seemed so pleased; but he was only thinking of the rich parents. Oh well.
"Um, something non-alcaholic and something to eat for the little girl, please" he send to the bartender. "But not too expensive" he added hurrridley.

The little girl quickly ate her dinner (with little regard to manners).
"Shall we go now?" Valerian asked. "Bartender, please hire a carriage. She can afford it."

Posted By: SirJill Aug 10, 2004 - 05:53 pm

Digger stood up from the bar, unhurried and turned around so he was facing the tables in the air. Honestly, he expected her to throw them.

They hung only a few feet in front of him; totally and utterly still. He did not look relieved, indeed his face was blank as the tables arrainged themselves in front of the door, stopping the party with the small child from leaving.

He moved forward and stood in front of the child and knelt down, studying her closely, "What is your name, child?"
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Magus » Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:53 am

Posted By: Magus Aug 10, 2004 - 06:27 pm

The little girl looked up at Digger from her meal of bread, chease and milk. She beamed a bright smile up at him and answered in the sweetest little voice one would image a girl her age to use. "My name is Engano Mento."

Posted By: Jade MoonStar Aug 10, 2004 - 08:33 pm

Shocked from this sudden display of power from the man who was caring for the child, Laurana came to her senses.

"What am I doing, using my powers like that..." she thought with a sudden surge of guilt.

"What would Jade say if she saw me like this?" Laurana continued to ponder.

An image of a stern old nymph scolding her formed in Laurana's mind; it was not something she wished to experience any time soon.

With a conciliatory air, Laurana walked swiftfully up to Digger (sorry, just didn't want to keep saying simply "the man" ) and began to apologize.

"I'm sorry for that rude behavior, it's just, I've been frustrated these past few days...please forgive me for my unacceptable actions, sir."

Posted By: Neurolanis Aug 11, 2004 - 05:45 am

Wanhelm entered the bar, stroking Calico, the Pub Cat, who sat upon the counter. "How goes things?" he asked Pashir.

"Fine," said Pashir, scratching his rough chin. "What's the special today?"

"Fish soup, two rolls, my special sweet butter--"

"What's in it?"

"Haddock, shrimp, scallops, crab, lobster--"

"I'll have a bowl," said the bounty hunter, dryly. "And another red ale. And say, anything up lately?"

"Not from what I've heard," said Wanhelm, the inn owner. "You should have spoken with the last party--"

"Don't like Klundors," said Pashir. "Don't like magic. Swords and firedrakes fine, but no magic."

"Fortune speaks its own magic," said Wanhelm, surreptitiously.

"Yees," said Pashir thoughtfully. "That lead Klundor...I knew it. Probably wanted somewhere. Should have done mah homework. Still, he had five men at his side. Too rich for my blood."

Posted By: SirJill Aug 11, 2004 - 07:08 am

Digger smiled quietly to himself and nodded to the nymph. He turned back to Enganar. The other hunter had attracted his attention, but he could wait; one thing at a time.
"So Enganar, how old are you? And where did you see your parents last? Outside? Or somewhere else?"

Oddly, Digger did not look like the sort of person who would get along easily with children. However, he had a certain--confidence, in either himself or the child that served him well. Or perhaps....it was just instinct.

Posted By: Jade MoonStar Aug 11, 2004 - 07:40 am

Glad to "get that dragon off her chest", Laurana nodded in recognition to Digger, then found a seat at the bar.

"Bartender," Laurana inquired as she raised her hand, "I'd like today's special, if you can manage."

Posted By: Magus Aug 11, 2004 - 09:42 am

Enganar looked solomly at Digger, as he probed her with his questions. She gave a weak smile and began.

" I'm nine years old, mister. I last saw momma and poppa three, no- four days ago. They were at this big mountain along a path. We slept there. Then orcs attacked our party, big ones... green and armed... and scarey." She added thi almost as an afterthought. "We got split up in the fray... something hit me and I blacked out... then I woke and they were gone. Our wagon trail rode off along the trail, towards Avanoor, where they said they would go." Fresh tears began welling in her eyes as she recanted the tale. She didn't cry or screech, but they dripped slowly down her face.

Posted By: SirJill Aug 11, 2004 - 10:15 am

Did that child just say 'fray'? Digger wondered. His face showed nothing but his suspiscions were beginning to be confirmed.

"And how did you get from the mountain to here so quickly?" he asked, "It must have been a long walk, eh?"

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Aug 11, 2004 - 12:02 pm

Rieze smiled, grateful to the man who had taken both children off of her hands. of course, if the little thing wasn't lying, the one was a nymph. hearing the other child speaking, Rieze slowly sauntered over in time to hear the girl's name.

'how odd. . . ' she thought, her dilects were rusty, she must not have translated properly. she opened her mouth to say something, but the door of the inn blew open and a large, blue-black falcon swooped in, perching on her shoulder. people murmered and exclaimed in surprise, but Rieze stroked its head and whispered to it. A small scroll was bound to it's foot and Rieze relieved it of it's burden.

"you did vell, Chimaera." she whispered as she read the message and promptly stuck it in the flame of a nearby lamp as she finished. Rieze turned to the little girl and the man, and smiled reassuringly.

"it appears, pretty one, dat I am bound for Avanoor as vell." she said, bending beside her to whisper in her ear. "but as i have never been dere before, ve may need a guide." Rieze went over to one of the tables that were empty, near the middle of the room, climbed atop it, and spoke loudly.

"Vho knows de vay to Avanoor? De pay is good if ve arrive quickly and in von piece. are dere any up to de challenge? ve must get dis young girl home to her parents!"

Posted By: Neurolanis Aug 11, 2004 - 12:34 pm

Pashir turned round on his bar stool. "Avanoor, you say? I am for hire, but I don't work cheap. I expect to be payed up front, at least in part."

"Pashir is a skilled bounty hunter," said Wanhelm. "Normally his kind might be bad for business, but he has shown his honor and earned our trust. You'd have no worries with this one."

"I ain't afraid of battle or beast," said Pashir. "At the right price..."

Posted By: Jade MoonStar Aug 11, 2004 - 12:41 pm

Laurana put her drink down loudly and turned her body with attempted elegance (if that were possible at this point, even a little ail in the hands of a nymph can make them intoxicated) to face the foreign woman with that unusual bird.

"I know...the way," she called to the woman clumsily, "I'm headed there...meself. *hiccup* There's no charge if you'd like...to..to..to..... come with me."

After her short, and partially alcohol induced speech, Laurana fell off her chair in a drunken stupor, hitting the hard wooden floor with a "thump".

Posted By: Esioul Aug 11, 2004 - 01:35 pm

"If there's pay, I'll help." Said Valerian, looking at Laurana in disgust. He made of a point of never getting drunk; he hated that loss of control.

Posted By: SirJill Aug 11, 2004 - 05:03 pm

Digger turned away from the child and eyed Pashir levelly. Shown his honor and earned our trust, eh? If anything, Wanhelm has shown himself to be a fool by trusting a bounty hunter.

"Perhaps," he said quietly, his eyes on the owners, "You bequeath your trust too easily. Or perhaps it is too reluctantly." He turned to Rieze and bowed slightly, "I am a sword for hire, Milady, if you are in need of my services." As he spoke his hand swept aside his cloak, revealing his polished silver sword. It was quite a piece of artistry.

Both the sword, and the performance.

Posted By: Magus Aug 11, 2004 - 06:30 pm

The girl beamed and blushed fiercely. Her face was lit up like the sun at high noon and seemed a finely cut gem or priceless piece of art in the morn's light, which flooded in from the dusty windows.

"I would pray to have ye, kind sir." She said, feigning elegance and nobility beyond the reach of her age and station. "I would pray to have ye all, if I may."

All is going according to plan, thought Sabal Gah. The game is set. The pieces are in place. And now the first move is to be made.

Posted By: Jade MoonStar Aug 11, 2004 - 06:48 pm

After vomiting on the floor, Laurana felt well enough to stand up.

While wiping some bile off the corner of her mouth, Laurana quickly pointed one of her fingers at the floor, causing the "throw-up" to soar out one of the inn's windows into the rainy night.

Having recovered a little, she walked over to the young woman and again began her conversation.

"I'll...take you," Laurana slurred as she again fell to the floor, this time having fallen asleep, "no charge...no charge...no......charge...."

Posted By: Neurolanis Aug 12, 2004 - 05:03 am

Pashir turned to Wanhelm. "What IS it with women round here?"

Posted By: SirJill Aug 12, 2004 - 07:07 am

Digger chuckled and muttered, "A contagion. Women can't hold their drink."

Posted By: Magus Aug 12, 2004 - 01:45 pm

"Yes," added the little girl, almost rudely, "that's why poppa never let me have no more than one glass of ale when we supped."

Posted By: Jade MoonStar Aug 12, 2004 - 01:51 pm

Now snoring groggily on the floor, Laurana was going to be "out of it" for awhile...

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Aug 12, 2004 - 03:36 pm

Rieze snorted in disgust, looking at the nymph, and remarked, somewhat amused by the haphazard comments made about her gender.

"some vomen, good sir, some vomen can't hold dere drink, not all." she chuckled and continued, scrutinizing the three men.

"your all welcome of course, name your prices and i'll do my best. you sir," she spoke to digger, smiling slyly. "a most impressive performance to be sure, but i heed your vords so you vill have to forgive me if i do not trust you right off."

she turned to Valerian, next. "You seem normal enough, but to me, everyone must prove themselves."

the bounty-hunter was last, and Rieze scrutinized him for a few moments before speaking. "likewise, good sir, but i tink i like you. vhich is good because de female company looks to be substandard."

Posted By: Neurolanis Aug 12, 2004 - 03:40 pm

Pashir drank down another red ale. He came with a suprising burst of song:

Oh the merry man
Upon the merry road
Comes without a lad
Comes without a wifey!

He wishes ta be known
Wishes ta be free
Hopes not to be alone
When tomarrow comes along!

With a merry grin
Singing like a bird
A-pattin' his shins
With dry kipper cod!

He sings of life
He sings of death
He sings of nobody
Else but him!

Aye aye -- ev'rybody AYE!
We alls know him
We alls know him
Aye aye -- ev'rybody AYE!
We alls know him
Find 'im a wife --
And he may let us be!

Merry man -- let us be!

Folks about the bar cheered as Pashir bowed before them. It seemed most unlike his before dark and solumn personality. But indeed, as he took to his ale, he became as dark, he became as stale.
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Magus » Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:54 am

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Aug 12, 2004 - 04:26 pm

Rieze smiled, an odd half smile, she never unvieled her true smile until someone had proven themselves time and time again. she leaned over the bar and requested another round for each of her new companions and switched from lemon-water to a strong vodka. Rieze winked broadly at Digger, the one who had made the comment about women not holding their drink, and pointedly chugged half the large bottle, finishing with a large belch.

Posted By: SirJill Aug 12, 2004 - 04:33 pm

Digger nodded to her, "You are a smart woman, Milady. As for payment--There are a few things I would like to know before I name my price. The first is have you any enemies that might...inhibit our journey?" He smiled slightly as he spoke, as if recalling a past incident.

Posted By: Jade MoonStar Aug 12, 2004 - 05:43 pm

Laurana grinned as she stood up with pride.

"Tell me, did you enjoy my performance?" she called to the woman as she swept over to her.

"As before, I will take you to Avanoor for free. I am headed there myself, so it is not out of my way."

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Aug 13, 2004 - 04:23 pm

Rieze looked down her nose at the nymph in disgust, drained the rest of the vodka, and elegantly snubbed Laurana. she turned to Digger, and mischeviously grinned.

"not anyting i cant deal vit." she pushed her cloak back, momentarily exposing her tight black leather shirt, black trousers, and belt of weapons. she had two long scimitars, with onyx hilts and dark, slender blades. numerous daggers and dirks were also hung from her belt, along with a long, orc-hide whip. her cloak slipped back into place once more and hid the weapons from view. Rieze grinned at Digger and the bounty hunter.

"i tink our progress vill not delayed overmuch." the shapeshifter summerized mysteriously.

Posted By: Jade MoonStar Aug 13, 2004 - 04:29 pm

Ignoring the shapeshifter's condescending attiude toward her, Laurana simply stood her ground.

Posted By: SirJill Aug 13, 2004 - 04:31 pm

Digger nodded appreciatively. He could tell all her weapons were good quality, but wondered quietly in the back of his mind if she really needed all of them to settle something.

He personally would not like to be weighed down by such and armory, but he was not the one carrying everything so he did not comment. Instead he remarked, "As you are in a hurry--I know a side route to Avanoor. It is more dangerous and there is no path, but it will get us there and quickly."

Posted By: Magus Aug 13, 2004 - 05:02 pm

"Does this mean we're to find momma and poppa now? Are we to leave?"

Posted By: SirJill Aug 13, 2004 - 05:29 pm

Digger looked at the child suspisciously, he turned to Rieze, "Perhaps it would be best, if the child is to come with us, that we use the main road."

Posted By: Neurolanis Aug 13, 2004 - 05:58 pm

"The main road is almost always best," said Pashir.

Posted By: Jade MoonStar Aug 13, 2004 - 06:02 pm

Laurana, about to apologize to Aizlyn, then, realizing that the shapeshifter would never take her seriously, cooly walked out of the Inn and into the rainy night.

"Well Mom (Jade), I'm coming..." Laurana thought to herself as her body flew into the air, soaring like a bullet to Avanoor.

Posted By: SirJill Aug 13, 2004 - 06:06 pm

Digger looked over at Pashir, "Perhaps you have never traveled the Hidden Path." His voice held a challange a sort of 'I've done something you were to chicken to do'.

Posted By: Magus Aug 13, 2004 - 06:28 pm

"Please, can we go now? I must get to momma! I must get to Poppa!" begged the child, in a frantic and yet oddly sweet voice.

Posted By: Neurolanis Aug 14, 2004 - 05:32 am

"Then there's no sense for delay," said Pashir, drinking down his ale. "I first wish to know each of the travlers that will be on our quest. I am Pashir, bounty hunter and travler."

Posted By: SirJill Aug 14, 2004 - 07:26 am

Digger bowed elegantly, "MaLain," He said, not giving his first name, "Bounty Hunter, Sword for hire and anything in between."

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Aug 14, 2004 - 02:45 pm

Rieze smiled, two bounty hunters, a child and herself. well, the two men looked sturdy enough, and the hidden road sounded challenging. Rieze loved a challenge.

"I am Rieze, shapeshifter and warrior, i do as i like despite my gender." she grinned, glad to be rid of the snobby little nymph who had stomped out the door.

Posted By: Magus Aug 15, 2004 - 12:56 pm

"Hurry, now!" Shouted the cute-as-a-button little girl. "We must hurry, we must find my momma and poppa! Please!"

Posted By: Jade MoonStar Aug 15, 2004 - 02:38 pm

;p *I didn't stomp out, red*

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Aug 16, 2004 - 12:05 pm

(minor detail, Jade -lol- )

Rieze looked down at the odd child she had somehow fallen in with. something was a little off about her. Rieze knew she wasnt a shapeshifter, usually she knew right away if it was, perhaps it was a nymph as well? inwardly, Rieze sighed, who was she to judge? she had her own agenda. As soon as they got to Avanoor, she would split, leaving the two men to look after the child, she had no patience with them.

"can you ride, little girl?" she asked, "if you cannot, I tink you vould be safest sharing vit Pashir, he is stronger, and you vill like him better." she winked at the bounty hunter, her eyes saying quite plainly that she would not share her horse with a minature sniveling and whining woman.

Posted By: Magus Aug 16, 2004 - 01:47 pm

Enganar gave a knowing smile. It was what any would call a sinister writhing smile. But this couldn't be, not coming from such a sweet little girl. "Worry not for I can ride quite well. But we must leave immediately... to find momma and poppa."

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Aug 17, 2004 - 09:54 am

Rieze wondered if she was the only one who noticed that there was more to this child lthan met the eye. she returned the child's smile, her own smile more of a grimace than a look of comfort or joy.

"right, to find your parents." she grumbled, almost doubting the story.

'what is wrong with you Rieze? she's just a little girl? are you so twisted inside that you now suspect an innocent little girl of deception. she only wants to find her family. poor soul, you know youre going to help her.' Rieze imagined what her long-dead twin sister, Kieze would have said. Kieze had been the softer, nicer one, the one who looked for the good in people. Rieze normlly did not give people the benifit of the doubt, especially since her clan's slaughter.
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Magus » Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:56 am

Posted By: Magus Aug 17, 2004 - 01:57 pm

Now it begins, thought the illusionist. Now is when it all begins. I'll use these fools, obviously looking for my brother. They'll lead me right to him and he will in turn lead me strait to the tomb. How easily these simple minded creatures are deceived.

Posted By: Chymera Sep 10, 2004 - 11:20 am

Mythrilor walks unoticed into the Jaded Wayfarer Inn and captures the inkeeper. He shows extreme and widely unmatched stealth in any form. he is tied up and gagged before a scream can escape his lips. Chymera shifts into an ant and keeps watch over him from a spot on the wall, hopeful to recover some ransom money for his dirty work.

Posted By: Chymera Sep 11, 2004 - 01:29 pm

sorry guys let me rewrite that!

Mythrilor walks unnoticed into the Jaded Wayfarer Inn and Captures the inkeeper. Mythrilor shows extreme and widely unmatched stealth in any form. The innkeeper is tied up and gagged before a scream can escape his lips. Mythrilor shapeshifts into an ant and keeps watch over the innkeeper from a spot on the wall, Hopeful to recover some ransom money from his dirty work.

(( this was the second post i made, so it was mainly because i was looking for things to write about. Not expecting anyone to really react to this, certainly not take it seriously (: ))

Posted By: Neurolanis Dec 07, 2004 - 09:30 am

** Weeks later ... [time in Lycoria is always abstract.]**

Posted By: Mir Dec 07, 2004 - 09:44 am

A pair of men moved through the doors to the inn, the older of the two seemingly supporting the rather weak looking younger man. The younger man carried on his back a large and vicious looking sword that he appeared to be incapable of weilding.

The younger man collapsed into one of the nearest avaliable chairs and sat there panting as the older man walked to the bar. He spoke briefly to the bartender and returned with a mug of beer which he set in front of the man.

"Here you go son; do you mind me calling you that?"

The younger man's blue eyes rested on the mug while he spoke, "My name is Vell. I'd perfer being called that." He reached out and took the mug, draining most of it in a single gulp. The stale liquid seared his throat and he had to surpress a curse. His eyes teared up and he turned rather red in the face, but downed the rest of the beer in another swallow.

The older man's eyes widened slightly, "Well, you can call me Jed, and I'd slow down if I were you, or you'll be more drunk than I get."

Vell fought back the tears and pushed the mug away from him, "I don't think so." He looked around, taking in the room.

Jed shrugged and went to get another beer.

Posted By: Neurolanis Dec 08, 2004 - 06:13 am

The bartender poored him another and slapped it upon the table. "'ere you go, sir."

Posted By: Mir Dec 08, 2004 - 08:14 am

Jed nodded his thanks and returned to the table, setting the drink in front of Vell, "Okay Vell, where are you from, you don't look like you're from around here."

Vell took the drink and downed a long swallow of the stale beer, "Around." He shrugged off the heavy blade and let it lean against the table. It was about six feet in length, one side was a smooth blade and the other possesed a saw like edge. The handle was a shaft of bone from what looked like a monsterous animal, barely worked at all, and the entire thing held a sort of darkness about it that unnerved Jed.

Jed looked at the weapon for a time, then turned back to Vell, who was now nursing the drink and staring at the blank wall behind Jed.

Jed shook his head and sat back, "So, where'd you get a weapon like that? I've never seen one quite like it."

Vell turned his gaze on the blade for a moment, "Somewhere." He went back to nursing his drink.

Posted By: Mir Dec 09, 2004 - 01:19 pm

Jed paused, "You know, you're not being very friendly, especially after I bought you those drinks."

Vell looked up, "Sorry about that, I had a bad day. I sort of got lost, and wound up here, I don't know where I'm going now."

Jed shrugged, "If you can actually wield that thing..." He gestured to the blade, "It probably won't be too hard for a guy to find work around here."

Vell sat up, "As a mercenary? I used to do that before I met her, but not since...my entire life was devoted to her..."

Jed's eyebrows rose, "Ah...so this is about a girl, what did she leave you?"

Vell swirled the beer around in his mug, "Let's just say I gave everything for her and would do so again." He took a big gulp and set the mug down.

Jed shrugged, "You really fell for her hard then; must have been some kind of woman, but you won't find her again by being broke and homeless. You have to make something of yourself; then go get her back."

Vell frowned, "I have to kill someone, then go get her back." He quickly downed the last of the drink.

Posted By: Mir Dec 09, 2004 - 02:44 pm

Jed sat back, not sure what to say. He'd never met anyone that was that as odd as this man. He was sure that Vell was good, he'd gotten a good vibe off of him, and that wasn't usuall. Something had happened to disrupt this man recently...and he had no idea what it could have been.

Vell finally spoke, "I want to thank you, but I have to find some people that will go with me to hunt someone. She's a threat, and since I arrived here; I'm afraid that she may be somewhere near."

Posted By: Mir Dec 10, 2004 - 11:04 am

Jed looked away and shrugged, "Well, how are you going to find these people, and what are you going to entice them with? Glory and fame, you barely look capable of helping yourself, none the less a band of men. Furthermore, who is it that you are hunting, and what did they ever do to deserve your vengence?"

Vell gripped the mug so tightly that his knuckles turned white, "I will tell them that they are ridding the world of a horrible evil. And as to who it is, that I will let anyone know. Her name is Meran...she is a Klundor, and a necromancer. She is like the mother of my love, and she used both of us as puppets. She was going to kill my love in her power games." Slowly he released the mug and sat back. He looked around, seeing if anyone had noticed his display...his voice had raised a bit during the rant.

Posted By: Magus Dec 10, 2004 - 12:25 pm

****Cheesor The Mad. She is an insane female bard. Through her many travels she has picked up little bits of everything from fighting skills to magical spells to thieving tricks, although she isn't exactly profficiant in any of them. She is highly intelligent but equially unstable. Her insanity stems from her limited telepathic abilities, which she cannot control.

She is about five feet five inches tall. She has fiery red unkempt hair that flows in a loose and messy pony-tail from her head. She has emerald-colored eyes and fair skin. She carries with her a bow that will magically light any arrow shot from it on fire. She wears heavy leather armor and has a unique assortment of other items gotten on her various travels.****

Cheesor the mad sat in the far corner of the bar, furthest from the pair on the other side. The bar was relatively empty, and so she could here them clear as crystal. She didn't hear their voices, they were muched too hushed and far away from her for that. But she could read their minds, and withought the relative clutter from other patrons, as the bar was practically deserted, save for that bartender and the rather perverted old man in one of the many upstairs lodgings.

They called her insane. She preferred to think of it as a variety of knowledge. She knew full well how to kill a mnan. She knew full well how to slit his throught and bath in his blood. She knew many things in the Earth and many more things in the sky. She knew how to catch a worm, digest it, and feed it to her hatchlings. She knew how to nurse her young. She knew they joy of motherhood when her does fed from her. She knew many things indeed, and for this she was labled half-hazardly as insane. She was the Jack of all traits, but not insane by any measure.

And, Oh, she laughed, then cackled then screeched in girlish fits of laughter. She threw her head back and let it all out. That •••••• man upstairs was trying to make love to a woman, trying but failing miserably. She was there, in his mind and that of the prostitute hoping to eran a few coppers. That woman was able to hold it in, but she was not.

Posted By: Mir Dec 10, 2004 - 01:18 pm

Vell's head snapped around as he heard the cackle, his warrior reflexes seeming to be returning. He saw the laughing woman at the bar and relaxed slightly, turning back to Jed and slumping, "I'm sure I can find people around here easily enough...this place reeks of mercenaries."

Jed shrugged, "Well, if that's what you really want to do..." Jed stood up and dropped a small bag on the table. It jingled noisily. "I hope that helps you. I don't know why I'm doing this for you...but I am." He turned and walked out of the table, leaving Vell alone.

Vell reached over and picked up the bag, examining its contents. Inside were a handful of coppers, three silvers, and a tawny. A good some of money for the time at least. He stuffed it into a pouch on his belt and leaned back, staring at the ceiling and contemplating his next move.

Posted By: Magus Dec 10, 2004 - 01:38 pm

"STOP! STOP!" Cheesor screemed. "That tickles!!" More cackling ensued.

Posted By: Mir Dec 10, 2004 - 01:40 pm

Vell couldn't help himself as he turned to look at the woman. With a brief, careful motion, he took his blade in one hand and stood, moving to a table a little nearer her. He sat and stared at her.

Posted By: Magus Dec 10, 2004 - 01:46 pm

Cheesor screemed, "Gods •••• YOU! That Hurt!" She started cackling again. Through her laughs she shouted, "Why don't you put that thing away until you learn how to use it!"

Posted By: Mir Dec 10, 2004 - 01:53 pm

Is she insane?

The though sat prominently in his mind as he watched the cackling woman. Other people in the bar seemed to be purposefully ignoring her.

Posted By: Magus Dec 10, 2004 - 01:54 pm

She cackled a little more. "There is a reason why they call me Cheesor the Mad, Vell. They just don't go around giving names out for no reason!"

Posted By: Mir Dec 10, 2004 - 02:00 pm

The mad?

The thought passed through his mind briefly, then he realized that she had spoken his name. Could she possibly have overheard his conversation?

Vell stood again and moved nearer to her, dragging his sword along, "How do you know my name My Lady? Or would you perfer me to use your full title?"

Posted By: Magus Dec 10, 2004 - 02:43 pm

Her sultry voice cackled with more girlish glee. "I don't know about you but I'm Horny as a rabbit in heat and this guy upstairs who's attempting the brothel girl in one of those rooms isn't doing anything for me. So would you mind joining me, or do you still want to talk?"

Posted By: Magus Dec 12, 2004 - 11:34 am

"Well?" She asked. "What's yer poison, take or talk?"
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Next

Return to Lycoria: The Stories