speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Jaded Wayfarer Inn

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Re: Jaded Wayfarer Inn

Postby Talon Sinnah » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:28 am

Looking over the crowd assessing the threats Ohtar found the closes seat he could next to a wall keeping a close eye on on the strange blue creature and now a pixie that seemed to friends with a elf female whom seemed to be having a good time in the tankard. Deciding to keep his wits about him he ordered water and some dried cow meat.
I am the poet of the body and I am the poet of the Soul. The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are with me. The first I graft and increase upon myself, the latter I translate into a new tongue.

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby Neurolanis Returned » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:19 pm

Osgorn, or "Gorn" for short, sat back as he peered over at the little pixie flying around Night Star. "A pixie? A pixie in our bar?!" he cried, mortified. He grabbed onto his large bag and pulled it to his feet with a THUD! Gorn pulled a single-handed battleaxe with glowing green runes from it. This was a rare artifact, collected from the Elvin traders. Gorn would certainly not wish to use it, for that would damage it, and to stain it with some vile fairy blood was the last thing he wanted. "Nasty, venomous little thieves!" he hissed, grinding his teeth. His muscles tightened as hands gripped the axe's handle. He plunged towards the fairy, lifting the axe and swinging to cut her in two.

This violent action by the dwarf went unnoticed by Jale. He watched fearfully as the stars vanished from the evening sky. The moon faded away, as if by cloud. The street lanterns went out. Shadow overtook everything outside the inn. No one but Jale noticed, as the drawf's commotion and bold move against the little pixie distracted the room. His nerves rang with electric unease, yet his intuition told him to stay calm and still. But while in physical form--or partial physical form--there was no escaping the human-like nerves sparked by these physical senses. Something terrible was happening, and it was all his fault.
Neurolanis Returned
New User
New User

Postby Ariel » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:03 pm

Pesky was too quick for the madman of a Dwarf to catch her. Night Star was also quick and before the Dwarf even noticed, she tapped his shoulder from behind. When he spun around, there was a sword pointed at his heart. With a voice as smooth as silk she spoke. "You know, you really should be ashamed of yourself picking on a small pixie unprovoked. You seem to have some anger management issues and I would advise you to be very careful with that." Drunk with the fine Elven wine, she laughed. "You didn't really think you needed an axe to kill a pixie did you?"

Pesky was furious at the dwarf, but the strange and mysterious transparent man thing distracted her. She flew over to the creature's table and saw him staring out the smudged window of the Inn. "Ummm...hello there! You seem rather...frightened, or at the very least concerned about something." She peered out the window and noticed the absence of the stars and moon. Even the street lanterns were unlit. "It's awfully dark out there. Does that bother you? I mean, it is night time and all, very natural. What are you anyway? I am a pixie and my name is Pesky."
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Neurolanis Returned » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:23 pm

Gorn stopped still to the Elf's blade, annoyed and ashamed--and bitter for being ashamed over trying to kill a filfthy little pixie. His eyes darkened behind his fat, rosy cheeks. He lowered the blade in a respectable manner, but deepened his voice as he spoke, with a stern brow, "Well, pets aren't allowed in here. If she's truly harmless then, apologies, Miss. But kindly leave and take your little--hmf, your pixie with you." Gorn looked around for the Pixie and saw her approaching the blue stranger--the one Gorn was sure was a master thief, spy or maybe an assassin of some kind. He watched their interaction with keen and suspicious eyes.

Jale turned and looked at her. His eyes were looking, but they were not noticeable by the human eye. His head tilted slightly to one side. "A Pixie speaks," he said aloud, his voice gentle and soft. Much like his body, his voice faded away in places, so that some of his words were rather difficult to hear with the noise of the Inn. "She must know. Why does she not look? Oh, I am speaking out loud. Silence that." Jale looked away awkwardly and then looked back to her, more sternly postured this time. He focused his communication skills. "Night has stolen Day. Look. You should see. I cannot bear it." Jale lowered his head, both sad and afraid.
Neurolanis Returned
New User
New User

Postby Ariel » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:49 pm

Night Star rolled her eyes and put her sword back into its scabbard. "Pixies are not pets and neither of us are going anywhere. I fear no one and refuse to be bullied by an axe wielding Dwarf with anger issues. There is much you need to learn about other beings and the sooner the better Sir. Why would a little pixie cause so much rage to rise within you? Oh, never mind, just go and sit yourself back down and let me enjoy my meal and wine." The Elf sat back down and looked for the Pixie. She saw her engaging in conversation with the mysterious being by the window. She raised an eyebrow with curiosity, but sat in silence watching the pair.

Pesky felt bad for the sad being. "No, Night is sitting right over there. OH...that night. But...night always steals day and then day steals its place back again. It has been doing that forever. I'm not sure I understand. Do you have a name? Where are you from? What are you anyway? I have never met a being quite like you before." Her words spilled out quickly as they usually did. She hoped the being could understand her. His voice was soothing and she liked that very much.

Outside the Inn, the winged wildcat came in for a graceful landing and paced around the Inn. He had watched as the stars disappeared, the moon faded and the night became blacker than black. Eerily, all the street lanterns had gone out and there was a sinister vibe in the air all around him.
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Talon Sinnah » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:10 pm

The air in the bar was thick with tension. Typical for dwarven and elven arguments to take center stage even as a monster is spouting off omens about night stealing day. With a sneer of his upper lip Ohtar freed his bearded axe and leaned it against the wall beside him before taking a bite of jerky followed by water to help the meat rehydrate and fill him quicker. With one ear to the inn and the other to the outside he noted it was perfectly almost dangerously quite outside the inn.
I am the poet of the body and I am the poet of the Soul. The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are with me. The first I graft and increase upon myself, the latter I translate into a new tongue.

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby Talon Sinnah » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:18 pm

Ohtar growing bored of the seemingly useless conversations stood then strapped his axe once again across his shoulders and placed the last bit of meat into his mouth then walked toward a window. Were the stars really gone he thought. Curiosity leading him he walked through the patron filled tables and peered out through the glass toward the sky. The solid black canvas greeted him and the absence of the moon's light seemed to mock him. No matter how hard he looked he could not find it. The only light he could find was from the torches that had been placed around the inn and the stables toward the end of the walkway. No activity was outside not even the horses seemed to be steering. Slight movement at the edge of the torchlight drew his eye towards it.

A thick tendril of fog snaked into view. It seemed to dance between the usual white mist color too smokey grey. It almost moved methodically toward the inn drawing the light out of the torches. As it engulfed the torch the flame snuffed out leaving only darkness. Without knowing Ohtar's right hand reached around for the comfort of his axe and let out a frustrated grunt as the fog slowly made its way toward the Jaded Wayfarer

(Not sure if that's what Neuro was going for but I'm sure he can work with it :wink: )

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby Neurolanis Returned » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:31 am

Gorn paused in awkward poise. There was nothing to say. He'd acted like a goon, taken things too far. Yet, he was sure he was in the right. Her words and graceful manner made him look the fool. Despite his adventures, riches and connections, Gorn did not know much of true class. His concept of success was weighted in coin, not in etiquette.

Jale tilted his head aside, intrigued. "You speak so fast," he noted. Unlike the pixie, he spoke very slowly, calmly. "My mind is bothered to repeat what was said so that I may hear it in proper form. Your words by themselves are not everything, Pesky. Your tone says much. Your posture days much. Many things connect to a word, as to give it many possible meanings. Slow is best, for Jale. I am Jale. I am, a friend. You must heed my warning, tiny creature: the day is ending along with the night. Unless someone can stop it, I am afraid everything will fade into an empty, black void. And, I am to blame." Jale lowered his head in a lowly state of shame.

The black fog continued to roll in, consuming everything.

Gorn approached Ohtar at the window, peering out. "I don't much like the look of it," he said, half to Ohtar. Gorn did not care much for Rolcs. He considered them lowly beggars and highwaymen. But on this odd night, with a bluish spy without human features, a troublesome pixie flying about and now a terrible darkness conquering everything in sight around the inn, he felt less nervy about the company of a strange Rolc. At times like this, the more the merrier.
Neurolanis Returned
New User
New User

Postby Ariel » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:19 am

Pesky was intrigued by this being, whatever it was. "I apologize. I'm just a pixie after all." She replied slowly and calmly. "What is your name, what are you and how in this realm did you cause...whatever this is that's going on?" She sat on the window sill gazing out into the darkness.

Night Star was impatient waiting for Pesky. She noticed that she and her new friend were staring out the window along with the annoying dwarf and the other creature of which she knew nothing about. Slowly she made her way over to them. "What is everyone looking at?" she asked. Looking out the window herself, she saw the darkness was different somehow and sensed great danger.
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Ariel » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:41 pm

The winged wildcat bared his sharp teeth and growled as the blackest of darkness approached ever closer to the Inn. He bounded through the door when a customer opened it. With great concern, he approached Night Star. All eyes were on the magnificent and mysterious creature. "My Elven friend..." He didn't get to finish his sentence as Night Star spoke before he could finish. "I know. An evil has been unleashed upon the realm. I know not the source." She peered out the window along with the others waiting to see what they thought of the situation. In the meantime she quietly held fast to the glowing moonstone she held gently in her delicate hand. She whispered words in Elvish, casting a spell of protection on the Inn and all who dwelled within.

Outside, the silence was overwhelmingly eerie. No golden orb of silver in the sky, no glittering stars to be seen, even the nocturnal animals were nowhere to be seen or heard. The branches of the tall ancient trees swayed in the wild wind that suddenly came forth.
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Talon Sinnah » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:04 am

Ohtar snorted then replied. "Nor I but like it or not we will be seeing it up close." Ohtar turns to the blue being not really caring to introduce himself. "How is this your fault?" His words were almost drowned out by the sudden rush of wind outside. "What is coming for us?" Ohtar kept his composure as he spoke.

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby Ariel » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:17 pm

Night Star made a quick introduction of herself, Pesky and Sky to the strangers. "I have used some magic to protect us and all who dwell within this place, but I don't know what it is we are dealing with and how long the magic will hold."

Pesky flew over and landed on Night's shoulder. "You guys can all talk to this blue being, but you must speak slowly or he won't understand you.
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

PreviousNext

Return to Lycoria: The Stories